Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Doctor Butts posted:

Essentially, people are taking a look at that and inferring as long as you aren't using specific slurs, it's going to be harder to police hate speech.
People will infer whatever they choose to infer, and that's usually whatever fits their worldview. There's no way to prevent people from reading in their own opinions or drawing their own conclusions. That's what people do. I've never claimed to be 100℅ objective, or able to definitely say what is or is not racist. Same with "hate speech." Is it okay for me to say "all pedophiles should be locked in prison?" (Queue joke about not having any mods here). That's technically hate speech, but it's a group of people a majority of our population have deemed unacceptable. Which groups should or should not be protected under hate speech?

Note I do not have the answers for these questions, I am posting them to debate and discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BULBASAUR posted:

lol at mods upset that LadyAmbien posted this in public

Clearly it was done to show, publicly, that you're getting called out for doing a bad job and the consequences of not changing. I mean that's in the first post. To put it another way. You're doing a bad job running this subforum and instead of accepting that your fake boss will fire you for not meeting your comedy quota, you're complaining it wasn't done in private so nobody will know you are getting called out for being bad.

I'm not a mod of D&D and I'm not informed enough about all this to make any intelligent comment, but one thingi do want to point out is that being a mod here is not a job. Nobody gets paid to mod (or at least nobody's been paying me). It's a volunteer hobby that's usually pretty thankless and often involves a lot of work and stress. We're all just people trying to do a decent job and often loving up because we're just people trying to do the best we can in our spare time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

i have no idea what this kiwi thing is or how it relates to Debate and/or Discussion

It's the off-site forum that was responsible for reveling former SA animator Smorky likes the poo in his diapers basically.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Lowtax posted:

People will infer whatever they choose to infer, and that's usually whatever fits their worldview. There's no way to prevent people from reading in their own opinions or drawing their own conclusions. That's what people do. I've never claimed to be 100℅ objective, or able to definitely say what is or is not racist. Same with "hate speech." Is it okay for me to say "all pedophiles should be locked in prison?" (Queue joke about not having any mods here). That's technically hate speech, but it's a group of people a majority of our population have deemed unacceptable. Which groups should or should not be protected under hate speech?

Note I do not have the answers for these questions, I am posting them to debate and discuss.

Frame this post as well!

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Lowtax posted:

:getin:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

I think this is a strange observation considering how long you've been a part of the D&D forums. It's more of a discussion forum centered on political or civic topics. That thread focuses on issues black folks face, somewhat, as much as some other thread might focus on discussion about another country's politics.

Sure, but in this specific instance i'm referring to someone brings up a pet peeve (heavily emphasizing that they like the thread, lurk the thread, respectfully bow out of most discussions unrelated to their experience, and aren't saying they are wrong), getting shouted down, and being willing to argue back as being things worth punishing for or kicking someone out of the thread for.

Like, at one point 3 posters were just spamming "GTFO NOW" instead of moving on and talking about stuff they wanted to talk about.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
I don't know how you could look at lady ambien's own public tweets and not make the connection that this has a lot to do with being pissy that a particular black woman became a moderator

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

What if GBS and D&D were both removed, and then their respective posting bases were forced to constructively interact with eachother in a new forum titled "Current Events"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Neurolimal posted:

IMO this is a really bad opinion to have in this subforum. Having lurked around for more than ten years a lot of my niche progressive opinions have been shaped by people willing to explain their stances and why something is wrong, rather than someone posting lena dunham squatting and yelling "NAY NAY!" or something.

I mean someone diving in on page 157 and asking really basic questions about the topic, and responding to that with a resource on the basic questions, like the OP has a list or maybe an article on some website. So that the regulars don't have to spend every other page explaining what "privilege" is in this context or whatever. I wasn't clear, sorry.

Lena Dunham squatting and yelling nay is not a good answer regardless, I agree.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Nevvy Z posted:

Yeah gently caress this place if we are discouraged from racism why even live

look at these white tears :cry:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

net cafe scandal posted:

What if GBS and D&D were both removed, and then their respective posting bases were forced to either constructively interact with eachother in a new forum titled "Current Events"

You're a looney.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Tolkien minority posted:

i stand by calling the annoying youtube man who is not homosexual nor fat a big gay fag

Tolkien minority posted:

i just want somethingawful to be a level of discourse higher than tumblr

YOU. You are the discourse level lower than tumbler.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Chelb posted:

It's possible to enforce the rules and also have a cool fun time with beyonce, op.

Actually, I see four posts made by people who were either expressly told to knock their posts off for being against the rules of a thread, or being downright contemptuous of the people arguing with them

I do not see an issue with this post that would cause a probation:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804788&pagenumber=9&perpage=40#post468235277

the poster is frustrated with having to dance around his word choice but is clearly trying to at least talk about the subject

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

CrazyLittle posted:

YOU. You are the discourse level lower than tumbler.

bruh gbs aint d&d. in the forum for shitposting im gonna shitpost. this forum is for debating and discussing

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

net cafe scandal posted:

What if GBS and D&D were both removed, and then their respective posting bases were forced to constructively interact with eachother in a new forum titled "Current Events"

no, we're both horrible in different ways. it wouldn't work out

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Tolkien minority posted:

bruh gbs aint d&d. in the forum for shitposting im gonna shitpost. this forum is for debating and discussing

Welcome to D&D: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805093&userid=184480

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Chelb posted:

I don't know how you could look at lady ambien's own public tweets and not make the connection that this has a lot to do with being pissy that a particular black woman became a moderator
As her husband, I can 100% assure you she's upset because she previously considered herself to be a feminist Canadian liberal from the weed capital of the world, and the attitude amongst fellow liberals here blew her out of the water.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i can debate and discuss with the reasonable people while mocking the idiots at the same time i'm talented like that.
feel free to make this thread about me for some odd reason tho lol

thank u thats my pugger and he is very rad
vvvv

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Tolkien minority posted:

i can debate and discuss with the reasonable people while mocking the idiots at the same time i'm talented like that.

Well, that is a rad dog you have for an avatar.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Lowtax posted:

Personally I feel that as long as the group's identity isn't based on hatred or hurting others for their own benefit, they should be protected from hate speech. In my eyes it should be okay to talk poo poo about pedophiles and (confirmed) racist groups, but not poo poo on entire ethnic groups or LGBT people.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Chelb posted:

you know that person isn't the first or the only current black person who is a mod, right? it's just nobody gave a poo poo to endlessly make who gets to press buttons on an internet forum a huge political issue because it wasn't in d&d

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Lowtax posted:

As her husband, I can 100% assure you she's upset because she previously considered herself to be a feminist Canadian liberal from the weed capital of the world, and the attitude amongst fellow liberals here blew her out of the water.

lowtax please come back and have more of a stake in your forums again

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Archer666 posted:

Personally I feel that as long as the group's identity isn't based on hatred or hurting others for their own benefit, they should be protected from hate speech. In my eyes it should be okay to talk poo poo about pedophiles and (confirmed) racist groups, but not poo poo on entire ethnic groups or LGBT people.

Why do some groups deserve your protection and others don't?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Neurolimal posted:

Sure, but in this specific instance i'm referring to someone brings up a pet peeve (heavily emphasizing that they like the thread, lurk the thread, respectfully bow out of most discussions unrelated to their experience, and aren't saying they are wrong), getting shouted down, and being willing to argue back as being things worth punishing for or kicking someone out of the thread for.

Like, at one point 3 posters were just spamming "GTFO NOW" instead of moving on and talking about stuff they wanted to talk about.

Man I thought I followed this poo poo more closely. I don't know the specific instance you're referring to. Can you clue me in? Was TB and/or negromancer involved?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Lowtax posted:

i'm sure she'll begin to heal now that it's been explained to her through the medium of gifs that she's a racist TERF bigot with a penchant for reactionary politics in a stolen country

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Tolkien minority posted:

thank u thats my pugger and he is very rad
vvvv

Do you seriously not see the irony of this post?

Not the bit about the dog I'm sure the dog is good.

Invisible Handjob
Apr 7, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

I already posted about how racism against Asians is mostly accepted on these forums in ways it isn't for other groups and was totally shut down / poo poo on / ignored in the QCS thread, so

don't ask this question

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Archer666 posted:

In my eyes it should be okay to talk poo poo about pedophiles and (confirmed) racist groups

i guess its curtains for negrotown then

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i'm sure she'll begin to heal now that it's been explained to her through the medium of gifs that she's a racist TERF bigot with a penchant for reactionary politics in a stolen country

It;s a bad religion, and a broken nation......

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Oil of Paris posted:

I do not see an issue with this post that would cause a probation:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804788&pagenumber=9&perpage=40#post468235277

the poster is frustrated with having to dance around his word choice but is clearly trying to at least talk about the subject

Alright, okay. Maybe that particular probation has less to do with the breaking of rules or shitposting, but for pissing off a lot of people including the mod in question (because mods are, yes, human beings).

Here's my question: In what way does a single, extremely mild probation deserve an in-depth discussion about the topic? Why must a single not amazingly justifiable call be put under a microscope? How is this single isolated incidence not suspect in how it relates to a recently modded black woman, and by itself says extremely little about the state of d&d moderation?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

The ideology eater posted:

"i don't want you to talk, but you're still talking?"

i agree about the dog

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

"identity isn't based on hatred or hurting others for their own benefit," it's in the quote in your post.

Invisible Handjob posted:

I already posted about how racism against Asians is mostly accepted on these forums in ways it isn't for other groups and was totally shut down / poo poo on / ignored in the QCS thread, so

don't ask this question

It was ignored becuase no one thought you were posting it in good faith.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Invisible Handjob posted:

don't ask this question

gently caress you. I did. Have some loving balls and answer it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lowtax posted:

Can you tell her I'm not going around "patting myself on the back" for nominating KM to be a mod, at least? In no way do I think I solved racism.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

The ideology eater posted:

you posted within 5 minutes of the thread being open to call anyone who thinks dumb stuff is going on here racist and imply lady ambien is racist too. you are not one of the reasonable people lol

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

Man I thought I followed this poo poo more closely. I don't know the specific instance you're referring to. Can you clue me in? Was TB and/or negromancer involved?

im not sure if TB was involved, I think Negromancer was only involved with buying a bad red text av (that honestly makes him look bad more than it hurts the owners feelings)

the peeve in particular was the feeling that some ally critiques of social movements have been lumped into the "telling us to be less visible and inoffensive" pile (which is a real pile that should be taken seriously) which derailed in like five directions as more people came in to find a reason to be mad

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

"identity isn't based on hatred or hurting others for their own benefit,"

But you are choosing sides and announcing your hatred for others and by working against them you have taken an obstinate position against them Thereby you are hurting their agenda.

You have become what you beheld. How does it feel to be a bigot? No matter how small a bigot, you are a bigot.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
i don't know if this is the place for it but the autistic robot form of argument is incredibly exhausting and serves to just browbeat the opposition into shutting up by minmaxing intellectual discourse demanding a never ending series of examples and arguing endlessly about the semantics of the other person's viewpoint.

It's not as bad as creating false hypothetical where a dissenting opinion somehow gives rise to the anti-christ and black people are beaten in the streets because anime forums poster said "The blacks" or whatever but it's close.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

But you are choosing sides and announcing your hatred for others and by working against them you have taken an obstinate position against them Thereby you are hurting their agenda.

You have become what you beheld. How does it feel to be a bigot? No matter how small a bigot, you are a bigot.

I don't base my identity on hating bigots, so this doesn't work. It's a good attempt though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

e: pocket post.

As someone who got a 6'er, I'm not mad that the black lady probated me.

• Locked thread