Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
Is this for the mods to debate and discuss or everybody?

Because you're absolutely right, we definitely need a safe space for stereotypes about people. Not enough of that to go around on the internet, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

It's pretty amazing to make a thread railing against a supposed liberal mod hivemind after minority posters have continually expressed the opinion that they are not treated with enough respect or dignity here.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Expecting impartiality is stupid. Unless you turn moderators into robots, that's not going to be possible. And tacitly accepting any slurs or evidences of discrimination short of the vilest is a good way to make D&D more unreadable than it is.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

TTerrible posted:

Yes, this is totally about making sure D&D continues as a branch of Stormfront and nothing to do with getting rid of the bias that resulted in the Hilary/Trump Toxx disaster.

News flash: a place can be unwelcoming and sometimes downright hostile to minorities without also being stormfront. Crazy, I know.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

LadyAmbien posted:

You are all seriously proving my point here and it's hilarious. Different opinion = automatic racist.

If your different opinion is "anything other than calling people fags or the n-word should slide", then yeah, I don't have a lot of respect for your beliefs

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm glad there's so much spirited discussion happening around questions of free speech and impartiality, but we just had to hide a thread because Kiwifarms members were using it to doxx and collect personal information on a bunch of our posters. I consider that a way bigger problem than the ongoing debate about D&D moderation. So if this is where we're having modding discussions now, I'm concerned about the fact that you and Lowtax have so wholeheartedly endorsed the site. I think encouraging people on SA to act more like a website that runs a wiki in which they have detailed every single moment of a person's life, down to the shirts he wears, and has entire forums dedicated to doxxing and harassing minorities online is a huge issue. A much bigger one than questions of mod bias, use of slurs on the site, how to handle political discussions in GBS, etc. We need to make it very, very clear that doxxing people, trying to dig up their information, or harassing them off SA isn't okay at all, and people who want to do that aren't welcome here.

This is a good post.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

Who gives a poo poo? What's funny about collecting photos and personal information about our users to fuel your weird hate of LGBT people? If that's this website's new direction then count me the gently caress out. I've been totally willing to support encouraging more flexibility on slurs. Hell, I've always been pretty flexible on that myself. Get D&D a conservative mod. Let's make it more free, let's allow for more debate from all sides. Let's change a situation in which D&D is liberal and GBS is conservative, that's all fine. But I draw the line at encouraging people to act more like the insane doxxing website full of complete loving nutjobs who have made it their job to obsess about the personal lives of other people.

now see, i wouldn't call this post very good at all

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

There's a whole slew of posters who everyone hates but are still allowed to post here. That includes both leftist and less-leftist posters.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Nevvy Z posted:

This is funny because I think everyone knew if one of the more known, dare I say regular, black posters was gonna be mod it was probably gonna be KM.

Yeah. There was a post or two about tiny brontosaurus and a few people I know endorsed bg32, but the runaway rec was koala's march.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Oil of Paris posted:

if a thread or forum is so hosed up that it needs to have a mod installed, the contributors in that thread/forum who made it totally lovely are probably not the best people for recommendations

:classiclol:

Beet Wagon posted:

As exciting as it is going to be to read a bunch of rules-lawyering about why "lmao all homos should die of AIDS" is not in fact extreme enough to fall afoul of the new 'almost anything goes' rule, maybe we could revisit the huge announcement about how blanket hatred based on gender/race/whatever is cool and good as long as it isn't too bad, whatever that means?

It's pretty gross and I don't think d&d should head in that direction.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Tolkien minority posted:

lowtax said like 5 times that hatespeech is still banned lol no one thinks its ok to say "all homos should die of aids" thats a blatant strawman. like the whole announcement was that blanket hatred is not ok but using the word fag in a sentence doesnt count as blanket hatred

perhaps, it does

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Oil of Paris posted:

i know that the prevailing argument strategy in DnD is poo poo like this, but it makes you look like an idiot

Negrotown has forever been the victim of the non-black posters running in there and taking gigantic dumps on the decency and respect of the people in that thread, and that's regardless of gfsincere being extremely dumb.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Tolkien minority posted:

*totally appropriate and cool gif of tv person or celebrity i like doing something so i dont have to actually think or use words to respond*

So I guess this wraps back around to people getting mad at a handful of six hour probations? because that's some pretty weak poo poo, op

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

*A person hands out a grand total of four six hour probations with gifs attached to them*

this is ruining the discourse!!!!!!

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Tolkien minority posted:

tell me about being a twee mexiphobe plz

it's pretty cool, i bake a lot and the pan dulce down here is delicious

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Sid Vicious posted:

i think he is talking about the posting of gifs in response to posts as opposed to adding to the discussion not necessarily the use of gifs in probation reasons but i am not tolkien minority so this is conjecture

I dunno, if someone posts something expressly against the thread rules and keeps on doing it, I don't think a flippant gif is going to do any less adding to the conversation than calling them a dipshit

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Invisible Handjob posted:

completely ignoring the issue. refusing to debate. insisting this is not something that has been brewing for a long time, and is just because of the new mod. fragile white tears crying because a black woman finally has power over them

Well yeah, racism's been going on for a pretty long time

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Sid Vicious posted:

it is when its a mod doing it instead of like, idk, enforcing the rules i guesS? i dont know i really hate this subforum im just here to piss people of

It's possible to enforce the rules and also have a cool fun time with beyonce, op.

Oil of Paris posted:

i think youre, again, oversimplifying things. probations that are explicitly linked to ideology are pretty lame in DnD, especially since the one guy probated was actively trying to explain and clarify (indeed, debate and discuss) his viewpoint and was then probated for doing so

Actually, I see four posts made by people who were either expressly told to knock their posts off for being against the rules of a thread, or being downright contemptuous of the people arguing with them

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know how you could look at lady ambien's own public tweets and not make the connection that this has a lot to do with being pissy that a particular black woman became a moderator

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Oil of Paris posted:

I do not see an issue with this post that would cause a probation:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804788&pagenumber=9&perpage=40#post468235277

the poster is frustrated with having to dance around his word choice but is clearly trying to at least talk about the subject

Alright, okay. Maybe that particular probation has less to do with the breaking of rules or shitposting, but for pissing off a lot of people including the mod in question (because mods are, yes, human beings).

Here's my question: In what way does a single, extremely mild probation deserve an in-depth discussion about the topic? Why must a single not amazingly justifiable call be put under a microscope? How is this single isolated incidence not suspect in how it relates to a recently modded black woman, and by itself says extremely little about the state of d&d moderation?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Lowtax posted:

As her husband, I can 100% assure you she's upset because she previously considered herself to be a feminist Canadian liberal from the weed capital of the world, and the attitude amongst fellow liberals here blew her out of the water.

You're right. People are just getting their feelings too dang hurt by this liberal posting atmosphere, which is why others should have their feelings hurt through stereotypes and casual slurs.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Oil of Paris posted:

I didnt find it worthy of discussion until you needed an example. I laughed about its pettiness earlier today in the QCS thread. the reason it is being used as an example is due to it being emblematic of an apparently ongoing problem with posters who disagree with the consensus being silenced for their opinions. i think you are really stretching to place the mods race at the forefront of this, instead of her doing exactly what people are tired of seeing in DnD

I do not find the disagreement legitimate, because I do not feel that the people making these arguments are practicing the calls for decency and respect and tolerance of viewpoints that they preach.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

with all due respect to the OP, surely you must have realized this thread would be absolutely loving dreadful

must they have

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Lowtax posted:

Of course that's not what I meant, I was just bringing out a point that could be debated or discussed. See, the whole mindset around here, and the internet add a whole, is so reactionary, so inflammatory, people jump to their own conclusions without actually looking at the question being posed. These types of questions should not be off limits, and people should not be afraid of being instantly called a racist or whatever for asking them. There should be debate. Or discussion.

this would be a pretty great sentiment, if it had any basis in reality

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Lowtax posted:

Of course that's not what I meant, I was just bringing out a point that could be debated or discussed. See, the whole mindset around here, and the internet as a whole, is so reactionary, so inflammatory, people jump to their own conclusions without actually looking at the question being posed. These types of questions should not be off limits, and people should not be afraid of being instantly called a racist or whatever for asking them. There should be debate. Or discussion.

"Perhaps pedophiles being bad and gay people being similarly bad is a terrible thing to say, but it should definitely be debated and discussed"

-Richard "lowtax" Kyanka

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

the trump tutelage posted:

The issue isn't that she handed out four six hour probations with gifs attached to them. The issue is that she handed out these probations while ignoring the lovely, antagonistic behaviour of another poster who was ideologically aligned with her. Another mod had to step in to hand down a probation in that case. One of the probations was explicitly in response to a poster not immediately conceding a point KM was making about normative language, thereby settling the debate by fiat. This is a mod that also told posters to "shut the gently caress up" about trans and black feminism unless they themselves were trans or black women, in a D&D thread that wasn't created for members of those communities to discuss their own issues. This is as close to silencing as you'll find on these forums.

Those are the issues. The length of the probation is hardly relevant, on principle it was an obscene double standard and an example of moderating according to their individual political beliefs and not with respect to the forum or thread rules.

And okay, fine, she's a new mod who is flexing her muscle a bit. Except it comes on the heels of Tiny Brontosaurus also getting oodles of free passes (not by KM obviously) before people in QCS complained enough to finally have her behaviour acknowledged and acted upon.

I don't quite get what's up with you, but moderators are not and have never been mystically commanded by a goon hivemind to determine which reports are their business or not

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Office Surprise Store posted:

that's def what he meant and not you proving everyone that says dnd is poo poo right by being an insane retard

At the very least, if you want to encourage proper debate and discussion, you should craft posts that don't make you sound so much like a wiffle-waffley dipshit

and hell that goes for me as well as everyone else

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

If somebody's real mad that certain people aren't getting probated enough, make more reports. I've heard from a whole ton of mods that reports are the best way for users to be punished for breaking forum rules.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Oil of Paris posted:

Not sure if you're referring to the posts in this thread or in general, but I can see how people would be frustrated with legitimately trying to contribute to an argument, be told they're making people angry for having their opinion, and then be sent packing with a sassy gif

Look man I get ya. But I think in lots of these cases it also comes down to the history some of these posters have of derailing arguments, being hateful towards other groups, etc. Moderating doesn't happen in a vacuum, there's context behind it. Look at someone like The Insect Court. His whole gimmick is to walk into a thread and pretend he's having a reasonable convo without actually addressing anybody, and he's been probated multiple dozens of times for it.

and anyone who cares about the gifs is lame as gently caress lmbo

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

see, if you made more posts like this i'd maybe like you more

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

perhaps we should return to the days of Enforcing Effort in D&D posting, rather than adopting an insanely credulous stance that all opinions are equally admissible. saying this pains me greatly, being as i am opposed to effort in all its forms.

I think you'll find that the only effortful posts are those that cohabitate with flat earth theories and whether homosexual jews run the illuminati

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Fat Shat Sings posted:

or you are making up a racial conflict with that post and are backing up Chelb in giving everyone a masterclass on ~~The Problem~~

holy poo poo

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Tell us more, about black people engaging in racial conflict, thread for cool dudes that think only the most explicit of slurs are verboten

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

My Q-Face posted:

Yeah, it's called the real world. Why exactly do you think you're entitled to a place without any hostility? How exactly are you going to have a debate in a place where nobody is hostile to your ideas? That's not a debate, that's a circle jerk. The whole point of debate is to present and support your argument in order to either change other people's minds or to learn and have your mind changed. If your ideas can't stand up to a little hostility, maybe you should either present evidence, support your argument with facts, or change your mind. If you can't do any of the above, maybe you shouldn't try to debate.

I think you'll find some pretty rich examples in D&D of the same people decrying "safe spaces" not being able to handle the hostility of being called insensitive motherfuckers who should go back to 4chan

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

this seems like an immature way to back out of a thread

Not particularly sure what this means, extremely terrible poster who i dislike

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Fat Shat Sings posted:

It's like you are on a track or something. Thank you for dodecatupling down.

I'll try and make it concise for you, to at least maybe get you to see what the actual point here is.

Thread = About people immediately inserting race into things and not debating. OP immediately called racist.
Moderator shows up, talks about (race) not liking something and how (race) would prefer things
You show up talking about the moderators race, the race of the people talking to the moderator and run off on a tangent about race.

this is about DEBATE AND DISCUSSION.

This is a very simple concept. You are doing a fantastic job on explaining it to everyone except yourself.

I'm sorry that you don't see race, friend.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I'm extremely in favor of political debate taking place entirely in the form of interpretive gif posting

seriously it would make everyone's lives a whole lot more enjoyable that's for sure

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I'm sorry that's all you can see and as a result are flailing your pissbaby arms in an embarrassing display constructing racist sandcastles out of imaginary sand in a snowglobe an autistic boy would be allowed to look at if he wasn't a cracker.

https://twitter.com/memesuppliers/status/818975353611976705

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

It's pretty simple crackerdog, your prior posts were halfhearted attempts at arguing, and the one I quoted is a blanket statement that the thread is bad, so responses to you are bad and by terrible people

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Getting super mad at the folks making it about race is an extremely unique and not at all antique way of shutting down a conversation in order to be comfortable in how powerful and white you feel

• Locked thread