Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Invisible Handjob posted:

yeah debate and discussion is by far one of the most outstandingly racist forums on the entire internet, it really sickens me. this place is basically stormfront without the n word

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

The GBS/QCS-ification of D&D begins.

please dont forums shame

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Gail Wynand posted:

Guys I believe that we must secure the existence of our people and a future for White children

Let's debate and discuss

everyone that disagrees with me is a nazi white supremacist. hmmm this position will surely encourage me to debate and discuss thigns with people in a levelheaded manner

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

*totally isnt racist*
*knows what the word octoroon means off the top of my head*

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm glad there's so much spirited discussion happening around questions of free speech and impartiality, but we just had to hide a thread because Kiwifarms members were using it to doxx and collect personal information on a bunch of our posters. I consider that a way bigger problem than the ongoing debate about D&D moderation. So if this is where we're having modding discussions now, I'm concerned about the fact that you and Lowtax have so wholeheartedly endorsed the site. I think encouraging people on SA to act more like a website that runs a wiki in which they have detailed every single moment of a person's life, down to the shirts he wears, and has entire forums dedicated to doxxing and harassing minorities online is a huge issue. A much bigger one than questions of mod bias, use of slurs on the site, how to handle political discussions in GBS, etc. We need to make it very, very clear that doxxing people, trying to dig up their information, or harassing them off SA isn't okay at all, and people who want to do that aren't welcome here.

the thing is those kiwifarms posters are funny whereas the people whining about them are not so being the head of an internet comedy forum its pretty clear lowtax should side with the funny

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Gail Wynand posted:

It's pretty simple, /pol/ and /r/the_donald already exist, their members aggressively try to turn every platform they can into an alt right cesspool, and they usually succeed absent aggressive moderation

See: Reddit and Twitter

noted altright cesspools, twitter and reddit

lollllllllll

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

if we're just naming the largest websites and calling them altright cesspools i also nominate google and amazon. have u seen the hosed up nazi stuff u can find on there!?!?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Who gives a poo poo? What's funny about collecting photos and personal information about our users to fuel your weird hate of LGBT people? If that's this website's new direction then count me the gently caress out. I've been totally willing to support encouraging more flexibility on slurs. Hell, I've always been pretty flexible on that myself. Get D&D a conservative mod. Let's make it more free, let's allow for more debate from all sides. Let's change a situation in which D&D is liberal and GBS is conservative, that's all fine. But I draw the line at encouraging people to act more like the insane doxxing website full of complete loving nutjobs who have made it their job to obsess about the personal lives of other people.

i dont hate lgbt people and its kinda telling that you're implying i do because i think kiwifarms threads are funny. theres a large difference between lgbt people and people like shmorky.

the problem isnt that gbs is conservative (its not really besides a few posters) or that d&d is liberal (it's not really its some weird brand of only those who are sucking the hilldawgs dick) lol

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Oil of Paris posted:

lowtax posted that the photoshop was funny, not the doxxing and other completely insane bullshit

ive only been reading the shmorky thread on kiwi farms so maybe i missed something

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

This isn't what I'm trying to do. I don't think you - or anyone who posts on this site, actually - hates lgbt people or is trying to harass them. I'm just very annoyed that this other website has started trying to harass our users. If I'm conflating different issues, fine, fair, it just has me on edge.

thats fair, im probably not completely up to date with what drama is going on

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

TTerrible posted:

Slurs have always, always been used at your own risk. If you're not funny you're copping a prob or ban.

this thread isnt about slurs or w/e its about d&d moderation. the qcs thread was about slurs and poo poo and the conclusion from the tax man himself was "who gives a gently caress if you say retard"

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

Who the gently caress tweets about D&D bullshit?

possibly the persons who;s married to the person running the forum and also involved in running the forum

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

As exciting as it is going to be to read a bunch of rules-lawyering about why "lmao all homos should die of AIDS" is not in fact extreme enough to fall afoul of the new 'almost anything goes' rule, maybe we could revisit the huge announcement about how blanket hatred based on gender/race/whatever is cool and good as long as it isn't too bad, whatever that means?

lowtax said like 5 times that hatespeech is still banned lol no one thinks its ok to say "all homos should die of aids" thats a blatant strawman. like the whole announcement was that blanket hatred is not ok but using the word fag in a sentence doesnt count as blanket hatred

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Chelb posted:

perhaps, it does

well the person that runs the forums and most of the userbase does not agree with you on that so it seems like you're sol

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Oil of Paris posted:

i know that the prevailing argument strategy in DnD is poo poo like this, but it makes you look like an idiot

*totally appropriate and cool gif of tv person or celebrity i like doing something so i dont have to actually think or use words to respond*

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, this is fair. Part of me wants some sort of public denunciation of this other site, like that's going to stop them or it's the reason it started. That doesn't actually solve the problem, I just can't shout at their dumb asses because they're on another website.

uh maybe you should take a breather dude its just forums drama

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Chelb posted:

So I guess this wraps back around to people getting mad at a handful of six hour probations? because that's some pretty weak poo poo, op

i dont give a poo poo about 6 hour probations i just want somethingawful to be a level of discourse higher than tumblr

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Chelb posted:

*A person hands out a grand total of four six hour probations with gifs attached to them*

this is ruining the discourse!!!!!!

tell me about being a twee mexiphobe plz

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Sid Vicious posted:

i think he is talking about the posting of gifs in response to posts as opposed to adding to the discussion not necessarily the use of gifs in probation reasons but i am not tolkien minority so this is conjecture

shhhhh im totally mad about probations and d&d users aren't misconstruing what im saying purposefully because im a mean gbs man who says the retard word

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

*is totally cool and good with having a black president*
*thinks an unpaid volunteer mod on an internet comedy forum is dumb who is black*
uhhhh clearly u have a problem with black people in power!

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

shoophobo posted:

does anyone remember laughter

i keep it locked in a jar by my bedside and reminisce over better days

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

CrazyLittle posted:

HAHAH AH ahH AHAHAHHA hAAHHAHAHA

i stand by calling the annoying youtube man who is not homosexual nor fat a big gay fag

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Lowtax posted:

People will infer whatever they choose to infer, and that's usually whatever fits their worldview. There's no way to prevent people from reading in their own opinions or drawing their own conclusions. That's what people do. I've never claimed to be 100℅ objective, or able to definitely say what is or is not racist. Same with "hate speech." Is it okay for me to say "all pedophiles should be locked in prison?" (Queue joke about not having any mods here). That's technically hate speech, but it's a group of people a majority of our population have deemed unacceptable. Which groups should or should not be protected under hate speech?

Note I do not have the answers for these questions, I am posting them to debate and discuss.

:getin:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

CrazyLittle posted:

YOU. You are the discourse level lower than tumbler.

bruh gbs aint d&d. in the forum for shitposting im gonna shitpost. this forum is for debating and discussing

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i can debate and discuss with the reasonable people while mocking the idiots at the same time i'm talented like that.
feel free to make this thread about me for some odd reason tho lol

thank u thats my pugger and he is very rad
vvvv

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

The ideology eater posted:

Do you seriously not see the irony of this post?

Not the bit about the dog I'm sure the dog is good.

you posted within 5 minutes of the thread being open to call anyone who thinks dumb stuff is going on here racist and imply lady ambien is racist too. you are not one of the reasonable people lol

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

The ideology eater posted:

Okay I guess I'll spell it out then. You're getting real upset about people not engaging with unreasonable people while wanting to do the same thing yourself.

the difference is i dont read or post in d&d (besides this one specific thread which i am posting in as the qcs thread is temp closed) so i dont have to apply these standards for myself. come to gbs if you want to mock idiots and not engage with them (its fun!), the debate and discussion forum should be a place for debate and discussion

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

angerbeet posted:

This seems like it would have gone over better if you did it in the mod forum

this keeps being brought up by mods/former mods but isnt it better for a large and diverse group of users from the forums to discuss the climate most appropriate for the forums rather than have it arbitrarily be decided upon by mods

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

look ima a mod

edit: found by googling "tumblr style gifs" lol

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Forgall posted:

Racists have the rest of the internet all to themselves, idk, maybe we could have one forum without them?

:discourse:

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Sid Vicious posted:

that's cultural appropriation my friend
just pretend to be irish and whenever someone calls you white rant about how your great grandpop was an oppressed minority when he came over on the boat and how dare you call me white

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Noyemi K posted:

if it makes you feel better, I have been trying to affect your same sentiment but ANIME AV

its actually healthy and good to discriminate against anime av having filth

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

im filth

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Chelb posted:

Look man I get ya. But I think in lots of these cases it also comes down to the history some of these posters have of derailing arguments, being hateful towards other groups, etc. Moderating doesn't happen in a vacuum, there's context behind it. Look at someone like The Insect Court. His whole gimmick is to walk into a thread and pretend he's having a reasonable convo without actually addressing anybody, and he's been probated multiple dozens of times for it.

and anyone who cares about the gifs is lame as gently caress lmbo

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

noyemi hasnt watched an anime since she moved in with me in september

real talk I don't think it's the race of the people in the gifs, its the fact that you're posting gifs at all. It makes you seem flippant and dismissive of people's concerns, and the fact that the gifs are tumblr-style clips of movies or television shows makes you seem immature

it's the forums mod equivalent of sending out a legal notice in comic sans

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

okay you guys convinced me using random gifs instead of reading posts is fun

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Chelb posted:

Tell us more, about black people engaging in racial conflict, thread for cool dudes that think only the most explicit of slurs are verboten

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Control Volume posted:

I'm extremely in favor of political debate taking place entirely in the form of interpretive gif posting

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

spit on my clit posted:

They Live but its about a D&D regular seeing how racist it actually is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

That's a good point but have you considered the idea that all of

and furthermore

i did consider that, however