Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
As someone who would have posted this exact thing, say, two years ago, I think D&D is in a pretty good place at the moment, or at least the portions I read are. That doesn't mean there is no one who posts in bad faith or posts personal attacks, but....it's much improved I think, to the point where I don't think this specific announcement was necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Can I ask something honestly, LadyAmbien? Let's say you're running a forum that punishes people for doing something, calling thing X. Let's say you still don't really like X, but you've decided it's unfair to punish people harshly for it, so you're going to ease up. What do you think is the outcome of these two approaches:

1. Silently not punishing for them any more, letting thing X trickle around a bit because you're tolerating it, vs
2. Making a big announcement that X is okay now.

The second thing leads to a huge influx of X that you still don't really like, whereas the first one does not. Whether that's posting while drunk, calling people "tranny" or mod sass, it's fine to relax the rule if that's what you want to do, but I think making a big announcement about it is the wrong way to go about that, as it ensures that the forums are awash with whatever that thing is.

• Locked thread