Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Any advice on getting help with anxiety when the VA doesn't seem to listen? In 2014 I went to VA mental health about anger issues and outbursts and that helped alot, but since having moved twice, neither VA in New Hampshire or Pennsylvania has been worth much.

Edit: I'm not sure if the VA in Providence was an exception in terms of getting mental health care, but it just seems like the people I've worked with since don't really listen and don't care. I'm thankfully past the point of thinking of self-harm or acting aggressively towards others without reason, but sometimes my anxiety just is the most hateful thing imaginable and it makes it hard to function sometimes. Thankfully my husband is understanding and helps out alot, but it would be nice to not have to be reassured that I'm worth someones time and effort.

I am going to provide some resources here that may overlap with what you've used/tried so please I hope you do not take it as belittling/minimizing/etc

I'm sorry you're having issues with the VA proper; VA's Vet Centers may be helpful for you https://www.vetcenter.va.gov/

Centerstone provides complementary to what the VA provides: https://centerstone.org/military-services/get-started/

Give an Hour has good connection to local mental health providers: https://giveanhour.org/military/

I didn't have experience providing referrals but have heard good things about Cohen Veterans Network: https://www.cohenveteransnetwork.org/backtobetter/

I hope you're able to get the help you need as you're worthy of being who you want to be and I wish you the best on your journey toward that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Thank you, I'll try to look into these tomorrow

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 18, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Vet Center is great.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
Remember when y'all told me to get divorced? Life has been legitimately good since then. Actually happy for the first time in years. Having some issues today, but I'll get past them and then it'll be smooth sailing again. You would think maybe this would change my stubborn worldview and you would be wrong, but I will at least admit this time that divorce is good.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm glad you're feeling better.

I've lost the ability to not complain at work. I hate stupid arbitrary rules and don't understand office politics and I think I'm broken because it's like I just can't help pissing off someone more senior.

E.G. the owner of the company wants the all glass showpiece NOC to be completely uniform. Every screen same height same position, no tilting, no movements.

So instead of just being able to adjust my monitors or not sit directly in front of and facing away from a goddamn door, I have to go get ADA letters because I'm petty and loving hate arbitrary rules.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 13, 2021

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Hell yeah, gently caress the man

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Ziji, I'm glad to read that. Be happy, you deserve it.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
I loving hate my job. Someone tell me how to get into cyber security. I'm willing to go back to school for it. I have a BS in Business Admin and Marketing and I'm almost finished with a Masters in Homeland Security.

My mental health has been so hosed since my dad died a few months ago, and being in a toxic work environment with sociopaths for leaders isn't helping.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread. I'm struggling here.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bored As gently caress posted:

I loving hate my job. Someone tell me how to get into cyber security. I'm willing to go back to school for it. I have a BS in Business Admin and Marketing and I'm almost finished with a Masters in Homeland Security.

My mental health has been so hosed since my dad died a few months ago, and being in a toxic work environment with sociopaths for leaders isn't helping.

You want an escape parachute I’m looking for a printer tech on a gov contract still for 72k in Bremerton WA. Sec+ and ability to get a secret.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cyber Sec sux poo poo as a career because:

• Prevention doesn't make profit
  • Whenever you enforce something it's going to gently caress up ~productivity~ for someone who makes more money than you and they matter more
  • Whenever you fail to secure something it's your fault
  • It's filled with dudes who have opinions about EDC
  • Those dudes are narcs

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Tell us why you hate your current job and why you think cyber is better. There are enough of us that can point you in the right direction. I have a feeling that what you hate about your current job will be the same in cyber.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
I hate my job because of the toxic leadership, who is loving over any chance of mine to transfer - he talked poo poo about me to other potential employers (inside the company) when they called for a reference.

I hate not using my intellect. I wanted to go into federal intel, but so far I've had zero luck whatsoever. Years ago I got into the FBI hiring process for Intel Analyst, passed the first test, then failed the written essay test that was somehow graded by a loving computer. Tried for NSA, passed their crazy rear end test, but was not referred. All of this because I stupidly never joined the military, so all the vets with security clearances and/or intel experience get every job over me. Hundreds of applications, customized cover letters, tailored resume for jobs. So much time wasted.

Applications to ATF, DEA, DHS, USSS, even TSA - all Intelligence Analyst or Investigative Analyst positions - rejected. I've been told its because I accurately self assess my KSAs, while other people lie and say they're an expert in everything - so the loving dumbass algorithm only sends those liars forward and leaves anyone honest behind.

I've got no "in" anywhere important. Only in USDA, and they're not doing poo poo. And I'm aged out for any 1811 series poo poo, not that I'd be medically cleared, with my back injury.

Got no education for cyber, or computer poo poo. I feel so goddamn useless.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I hate my job because of the toxic leadership, who is loving over any chance of mine to transfer - he talked poo poo about me to other potential employers (inside the company) when they called for a reference.

I hate not using my intellect. I wanted to go into federal intel, but so far I've had zero luck whatsoever. Years ago I got into the FBI hiring process for Intel Analyst, passed the first test, then failed the written essay test that was somehow graded by a loving computer. Tried for NSA, passed their crazy rear end test, but was not referred. All of this because I stupidly never joined the military, so all the vets with security clearances and/or intel experience get every job over me. Hundreds of applications, customized cover letters, tailored resume for jobs. So much time wasted.

Applications to ATF, DEA, DHS, USSS, even TSA - all Intelligence Analyst or Investigative Analyst positions - rejected. I've been told its because I accurately self assess my KSAs, while other people lie and say they're an expert in everything - so the loving dumbass algorithm only sends those liars forward and leaves anyone honest behind.

I've got no "in" anywhere important. Only in USDA, and they're not doing poo poo. And I'm aged out for any 1811 series poo poo, not that I'd be medically cleared, with my back injury.

Got no education for cyber, or computer poo poo. I feel so goddamn useless.

Their advice about KSAs is correct. I work with some feds, no way they have the skills they say they have (there is a well used document, that gets updated often containing step by step instruction on how to copy/paste). "Correct" federal resumes read like garbage and are super long with every key word imaginable.

I can't speak to the recruiting of the intel guys, but I suspect it is something stupid that they "think" you need checked off.

Look into "cyber security" boot camps from your local college/university. They are usually about 6 months long, but get you all the certs needed to start moving into cyber security. Warning, entry level cyber poo poo seems like completely garbage work, mostly dealing with people that sound dumber than your current situation. Most likely you would have to start in the civilian side or as a contractor to move into an actual fed role.

Also of note, while working with the feds, I have noticed that most of their full time guys moved over from a contract position. That seems to be the goal of all fed contractors, which makes it harder for you to apply from the outside. So if you are dead set on the federal side, look into contract positions with like Leidos, Mantec, Booz Allan (sp?), etc

Good luck man, hope you find what you want.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Leidos just took over the contract for NMCI and had a lot of openings. Even more by next month with the vaccine mandate for vaccine status. I work as a partner/subcontractor with CDW-G but I use to be a prime under the prior NMCI holder Perspecta. Getting in with them is a pipeline for gov work. Literally half our field techs get absorbed by gov positions within the first year.
One thing I like about the pace of gov contracts is it’s much slower. So many loving layers of admin that things simply can’t go fast. I got basically no stress in my position because I can always shift the blame to another level (95% legitly) but when I actually get something done early you look like a hero and it’s unexpected.

Check out the Leidos and CDW site. Get that foot in the door. I just got hired on a reservist who’s working on his bachelors in some cyber network security degree while he wretches on printers during the day on whidbey. CDW was ok with that because they said once he got his degree they’d find a more appropriate position for him in house or on the gov side.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Crab Dad posted:

Leidos just took over the contract for NMCI and had a lot of openings. Even more by next month with the vaccine mandate for vaccine status. I work as a partner/subcontractor with CDW-G but I use to be a prime under the prior NMCI holder Perspecta. Getting in with them is a pipeline for gov work. Literally half our field techs get absorbed by gov positions within the first year.
One thing I like about the pace of gov contracts is it’s much slower. So many loving layers of admin that things simply can’t go fast. I got basically no stress in my position because I can always shift the blame to another level (95% legitly) but when I actually get something done early you look like a hero and it’s unexpected.

Check out the Leidos and CDW site. Get that foot in the door. I just got hired on a reservist who’s working on his bachelors in some cyber network security degree while he wretches on printers during the day on whidbey. CDW was ok with that because they said once he got his degree they’d find a more appropriate position for him in house or on the gov side.

I'm currently with Leidos, so shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Thank you both very much, I appreciate it. I'll look into contract work.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Yeah I'll put this in discord

Melthir fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 28, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Acquaintance and friend of our closest friends just committed suicide. We had him over as a +1 years ago when our friends did an album together with him. He recently moved back home to California.

My wife and I saw him here in LV two days ago because he came to do a breakdown and Q and A of a 2008 underground rap album.

That night, his bandmates put on an impromptu performance.

It was his last.

The band was working on a new album and played unreleased songs, so that night I felt a sense of privilege, but now I'm just disappointed I didn't get to have him over again, and I was too embarrassed to ask in the moment.

RIP RA

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 1, 2021

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

stevobob posted:

Ziji, I'm glad to read that. Be happy, you deserve it.

Don't worry, it didn't last long. Been on the brink lately, not even sure why I stopped in to check out SA or why I am posting this. PTSD is a bitch. Buddy from my old unit got into a motorcycle accident and is paralyzed now. I'm going to visit him but no one gives a poo poo about anyone anymore. I would rejoin the discord and talk about it but if I'm being real, talking about everything doesn't help; it makes it worse. Things that were never an issue for me before, particularly from my deployment, are all encompassing now. I just hope y'all are doing good.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Ziji posted:

Don't worry, it didn't last long. Been on the brink lately, not even sure why I stopped in to check out SA or why I am posting this. PTSD is a bitch. Buddy from my old unit got into a motorcycle accident and is paralyzed now. I'm going to visit him but no one gives a poo poo about anyone anymore. I would rejoin the discord and talk about it but if I'm being real, talking about everything doesn't help; it makes it worse. Things that were never an issue for me before, particularly from my deployment, are all encompassing now. I just hope y'all are doing good.

I want you to listen to this guy - he's a former Green Beret, former CAG, and former CIA.

This interview with him was so, so inspiring for me. I think you might get something out of it, especially because he went through some very dark times with PTSD.

I really got a lot out of it. And I'm not even a vet.

https://youtu.be/oZLUyOmJt3c

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Ziji posted:

Sending love, my dude. It's good you posted. I personally am doing pretty well right now, some others are too, but of course we've all got poo poo we need help with and we're here for each other. I hear you on not wanting to talk about poo poo, but even if you just want to rejoin to say hi, we'd love to see you.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

some truthbombs from skweezy jibbs

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

I want you to listen to this guy - he's a former Green Beret, former CAG, and former CIA.

This interview with him was so, so inspiring for me. I think you might get something out of it, especially because he went through some very dark times with PTSD.

I really got a lot out of it. And I'm not even a vet.

https://youtu.be/oZLUyOmJt3c

With all due respect, no thanks. Stuff like that has never worked for me but I appreciate the gesture.

stevobob posted:

Sending love, my dude. It's good you posted. I personally am doing pretty well right now, some others are too, but of course we've all got poo poo we need help with and we're here for each other. I hear you on not wanting to talk about poo poo, but even if you just want to rejoin to say hi, we'd love to see you.

There is nothing left for me, unfortunately. Society does not want me or people like me in it, and who I am to argue. Between the VA destroying me physically (surgery without consent), my newly resurged and extremely bad PTSD, I give up. The world passed me by when I was in and I didn't fully realize it until this month. I'm strongly considering cutting the internet completely, but either way this is me signing off of SA. I appreciate everyone here who tried to help me, and to a point it did help, but I no longer wish to do anything except exist and be left alone. I wish you guys the best and hope everyone is doing well.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Stop acting like you haven’t survived 100% of your bad days.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Ziji posted:

With all due respect, no thanks. Stuff like that has never worked for me but I appreciate the gesture.

There is nothing left for me, unfortunately. Society does not want me or people like me in it, and who I am to argue. Between the VA destroying me physically (surgery without consent), my newly resurged and extremely bad PTSD, I give up. The world passed me by when I was in and I didn't fully realize it until this month. I'm strongly considering cutting the internet completely, but either way this is me signing off of SA. I appreciate everyone here who tried to help me, and to a point it did help, but I no longer wish to do anything except exist and be left alone. I wish you guys the best and hope everyone is doing well.

If space is what you need, obviously you should take it, but you have a community here that will continue to welcome you. I hope you can find some happiness, you deserve it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ziji posted:

You're welcome back here anytime. We want you around.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Lost one in my squad last week. Another self-admitted this past weekend. Everyone struggles, and it's been especially hard for a long time now. Know that you're not alone. Take a minute and make sure your people know it too.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

rifles posted:

Lost one in my squad last week. Another self-admitted this past weekend. Everyone struggles, and it's been especially hard for a long time now. Know that you're not alone. Take a minute and make sure your people know it too.

I am so sorry to hear that. I hope self admit guy gets the help they need.

It's hard when it happens and you just find out. I hope things get better for you and your crew.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
For all my pals in the VA healthcare system who wrote off ever accessing the website sometime before or around 2017 because of how government it can be, they have streamlined a lot since then and logging in was actually a breeze.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Hey, CISO here.

With this background my advice to you would be to look into analytics, and/or privacy and compliance, there is a demand for people in those fields too. People who can assess risk, threats, or who can implement or audit infosec management systems. Feel free to DM me if you wanna look into it, I'm lazy right now. Sorry late answer.

So sorry about your dad. Toxic work environmenta are poo poo, I quit my job in may last year and I'm just now getting past all the bullshit there. I can guarantee things will get better when you get a new direction in your career.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

SANS courses are pricey, but when i assess CVs from vendors they always weigh heavy in favour.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 2, 2021

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

Force de Fappe posted:

Hey, CISO here.

With this background my advice to you would be to look into analytics, and/or privacy and compliance, there is a demand for people in those fields too. People who can assess risk, threats, or who can implement or audit infosec management systems. Feel free to DM me if you wanna look into it, I'm lazy right now. Sorry late answer.

So sorry about your dad. Toxic work environmenta are poo poo, I quit my job in may last year and I'm just now getting past all the bullshit there. I can guarantee things will get better when you get a new direction in your career.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Will do some more research and may get back to you.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Idk why you edited out but I saw this earlier. This was the place for said post

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

TheWeedNumber posted:

Idk why you edited out but I saw this earlier. This was the place for said post

I edited it out because I felt bad venting about my husband and his cycles of depression/suicidal ideation due to work stress and how it affects me, I hate that I get angry at him and his not getting help and refusing to try different kinds of therapy again because it didn't work once in the past. I still feel bad about it, I don't know what else I could do and frankly I don't know how long I could deal with it because I can't support us both and I also hate how I just want to run away from all this and go back to being alone sometimes.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I edited it out because I felt bad venting about my husband and his cycles of depression/suicidal ideation due to work stress and how it affects me, I hate that I get angry at him and his not getting help and refusing to try different kinds of therapy again because it didn't work once in the past. I still feel bad about it, I don't know what else I could do and frankly I don't know how long I could deal with it because I can't support us both and I also hate how I just want to run away from all this and go back to being alone sometimes.

Don't feel bad for venting. It helps.

The support structure for spouses and SOs that deal with the same issues you are having sucks. Maybe there is a Alannon style group in your area that could help?

Vented helps me, so I vent. I hope your husband gets the help he needs.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I'm late to respond but yeah, please vent. Sometimes it's the only thing that'll get you by until the situation improves.
And also, being alone isn't always all it's cracked up to be. At first yeah the freedom can be great, but then at some point the reality of the situation hits ya, and it can be extremely difficult to deal with. I'm going through a divorce & my mental health has dipped so much that it's now affecting me physically via anxiety attacks; I can barely drive to work sometimes, it's scary. This was definitely unanticipated. I finally started seeing Behavioral Health (because my dumbass is still in) & it's been good so far.
Hope your husband can get out of his depression situation.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
About venting….

I had a bad night Saturday night. It was the first time I have lost control of myself like that in years. It felt like all of the work I had done on myself was getting thrown out the window. I haven’t felt emotions this intense in about a decade.

I was throwing it all away again. Everything good in my life. I absolutely went too far.

But you know what I did at the height of my manic behavior?

I called someone. Something I have never done until I’ve already burned bridges and hit rock bottom.

And it helped. I was still stressed. I was still pacing around my apartment all night. I was having conversations with nobody, just to get my emotions out. I didn’t sleep for about 40 hours.

But I stopped my destructive skid out of control. Right in its tracks. A bit too late, but gently caress you, I managed to regain control of myself where I’d never been able to before.

I fuckin’ rock.

Ten years ago, when I was feeling that emotionally intense, I tried to put a bullet in my head.

Saturday night I was going through my drawers looking for pen and paper. I looked in my nightstand and didn’t even acknowledge the pistol. I only acknowledged that there wasn’t pen and paper. It was actually a moment where, in the height of everything, I was still able to take a second and realize that I didn’t even notice the pistol after I had closed the drawer and took a few steps.

That’s a big loving deal to me.

I had to visit the dark side a bit to see it, but goddamn have I gotten better.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

boop the snoot posted:

About venting….

I had a bad night Saturday night. It was the first time I have lost control of myself like that in years. It felt like all of the work I had done on myself was getting thrown out the window. I haven’t felt emotions this intense in about a decade.

I was throwing it all away again. Everything good in my life. I absolutely went too far.

But you know what I did at the height of my manic behavior?

I called someone. Something I have never done until I’ve already burned bridges and hit rock bottom.

And it helped. I was still stressed. I was still pacing around my apartment all night. I was having conversations with nobody, just to get my emotions out. I didn’t sleep for about 40 hours.

But I stopped my destructive skid out of control. Right in its tracks. A bit too late, but gently caress you, I managed to regain control of myself where I’d never been able to before.

I fuckin’ rock.

Ten years ago, when I was feeling that emotionally intense, I tried to put a bullet in my head.

Saturday night I was going through my drawers looking for pen and paper. I looked in my nightstand and didn’t even acknowledge the pistol. I only acknowledged that there wasn’t pen and paper. It was actually a moment where, in the height of everything, I was still able to take a second and realize that I didn’t even notice the pistol after I had closed the drawer and took a few steps.

That’s a big loving deal to me.

I had to visit the dark side a bit to see it, but goddamn have I gotten better.

Good for you! Even better that not only are you improving, you notice it. I hope you continue to heal.