Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Guessing 4.0 got hidden for doxx sanitation purposes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

TBeats posted:

I don't know about dreams. Maybe someone here does though.

This is gonna sound kinda :biotruths: but we tested it on deployment (submarine) and like double blind confirmed it; but my nightmares/sleep screaming at people walking by my rack and punching the bed pan above me turned out to be cause by eating anything with food dye.

I poo poo you not.

Turns out when everything is either frozen or canned you can kinda be really carful with your diet. And since it was becoming an issue we made it an experiment. Pretty much everything except the instant mix bug juice was due free. And I started watching out for the few things that did. (This was all after the O-3 I stood watch with 8 hours every day read an article/study, didn't pull this out our rear end.) bout two weeks of strict diet control I was fine. So then I'd have like, the yellow loving corn bread, and that night be having some tripy dreams. (I never remember any of the ones where I would yell and punch poo poo, but I'd always get told about them)

Then came round two. Back half of deployment my friend would randomly spike my coffee with a little food dye. We didn't have cream so it was always just black with a ton of sugar. And being in the box I couldn't leave to get my own* so the Aux would make a pot for the lot of us and I'd never know if he did it.

Except the signs showed up every single time.

Since then I've watched what I ate. Kinda narrowed it down so that if I have even a little dye I'll feel it for 72 hours, and the more I get the longer it lasts, but peaks at around three weeks of effects. Sometimes I fall off the wagon. Sometimes candy is just too good.

If you want to try something other than pulls, maybe you're like me.

And that's a good dog.

*I think that requires a little explanation, a submarine propulsion plant is run from an 8x8 room called maneuvering that's manned round the clock. You cram three or four people in their endlessly and you legally can't leave the control panel, so you get one of the more junior rovers to come in and get you things, like coffee. Every six hours the watch would change and the oncoming Aux would traditionally make coffee for the whole team for the shift and deliver it to everyone stuck in their own zones.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I've been a poor slack user because I don't have the GiP slack on my phone and I'm away from home most of the time. I also feel like a dick because I've taken suicide watch calls before and felt the exhaustion the next morning, where I have to yell at myself saying what if next time it's your drunken rear end feeling reality set in and fffffffffffff

Seriously like many goons here I've had too many friends. Message me if you need something. I loving suck at making noble statements but I drove all the way to my best friends and clocked him in the face at 4am because I'm selfish and don't want to have to go to any more funerals.

In other news my grandmother died and I feel like poo poo because at 92 she was still spry as a fox and just dropped after a solid dance at the national home. My mom and my aunt managed to get a fairly in depth taped account of all the poo poo she went through a hear or two ago. I almost feel like the only way to do justice to her life is to write a book about her hopping the wall from East Germany with my infant mom and aunt, but I'm heasitant to even think about it because it's a story of surviving the fire bombing of Dresden and other horrible events that make me hate long dead nazis.

And in retrospect my initial reaction to delete this post in antipathy to the point of this thread and posting from the heart. Typing out words that you're feeling hurts. So get it off your chest

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

McNally posted:

Gonna be honest, my sense of humor is broken and I'm swinging wildly between "that's funny" and "gently caress YOU IN THE NECK rear end in a top hat"

That might actually be a healthy response? I don't know, my sense of everything is miscalibrated

Sorry this happened to you

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
When I find myself disliking everyone I grab some candy, and drinks, and go lay out in the sun and read a book. Or if sun isn’t available I play video games in a dark room. Both are normally enough alone time to enjoy the next social outing I’m invited to.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm good, stressing about money and bills but I'm surrounded by good people here.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Some expeditionary medals can also count for combat vet status.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
People are terrible and they are extra terrible on the internet, but the only way forward is to keep up the pressure. I wrote my congress critters and as far as I can tell they're all for it, but i'm also in a solid democrat state.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
You're not a failure. Life brings ups and downs and just by acknowledging that you don't want to do that again is how you continue improving. You're a good person.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Mental health is always a constant fight with long quiet periods. And we’re as worried for your long term wellbeing as you are for your guys. My condolences to them and their family but emotionally this is also ammo for the file against those in the chain who want to focus on the day of instead of systemic issues leading up to and following every tragedy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

MonkeyWash posted:

Catch it early and take some motrin.

The VA claims motrin cures cancers :hmmyes:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Glad they caught your cancer early enough to do something about it, MW. Hope you're doing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Don't apologize for that. We'd rather hear it from you than have you keep silent.