Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I'm no doctor....

It seems to me that the dreams are a response to stress. Are you doing anything else differently? You mentioned that you are kinda stressed with school. Maybe you just need to carve out more "me" time and do something you enjoy. Do you have any stress relief other than pot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

TBeats posted:

I hit the gym five days a week (six if you count runs on Sunday mornings). It's one of the only things I am able to do and stay clear headed throughout.

Saturday is my day off. No matter what I have piled up, Saturday is my day to do absolutely nothing.

Other than see a doc, not sure what else to tell you man. You could try different meds, but I'm thinking that won't work for you. Have you tried killing a stripper?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

poo poo, I'm out 2 years running and I am starting to feel it. You are not alone on this one. Its like that feeling you get on your skin right before a giant gently caress off thunder storm rolls through.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ataxerxes posted:

If you are at all comfortable with the idea you might want to look into an IT-related degree. So much relies on computers that someone is always hiring and there are very very many things where you don't need to eal with customers or put up with shouty idiots. The job advice threads over at Serious Hardware/Software Crap are excellent.

Seconding the IT field. Once you have the basics down, you can move into just about any position. The majority of the higher level jobs are either turbo nerd poo poo or more a process management thing. Until SkyNet takes over, the world will ALWAYS need IT guys and people who know how to manage them.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I got off the phone with a buddy yesterday. He suffered a break. When I got off the phone I was in tears. Just telling the wife how he felt made her burst into tears.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Anyone have an invite? Could use some people to talk to.

dude I wish I had it to pass on, I gots the PM's if you really need someone right now.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Naked Bear posted:

Hey, gang: this is a friendly reminder to come up on the net if you're hurting or in a bad place. Please reach out to someone, anyone. Please say anything, even if it's just to blurt out, "Hey, things aren't great."

A dude who I didn't know very well but had been in my unit very recently re-created his Facebook account, added a bunch of us, and... then just ended it all. Could we have done something if we'd known? Yeah, probably. That's what we do.

Please help us help you. You matter. There's no shame in asking for help or just wanting to talk to someone.

REALLY sorry about that man.Don't beat yourself up about it, we can't be everywhere and know everything.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wasabi the J posted:

Getting hobbies and chores done is starting to help, with the change in meds recently.

Still feel waves of guilt being so privileged having a home and poo poo while the world burns. I worked for it all but... Just feels bad knowing someone isn't so lucky and I'm worried about "spoons" and poo poo.

Many of use are going through the same thing. Hang in there buddy.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Syrian Lannister posted:

Just here to vent; no plans on self harm or harming others.

In the past two weeks, my mom was told she has 12 months left, at best, due to her bad heart. Her defib went off again today and she is being stubborn about it. She's too old for a transplant, and implanting a cardiac pump might extend her another three to five years; if she makes it through the surgery.

My ex-wife, actually her attorney, 'didn't like how the divorce went', and tried reopening a bunch of stuff. Nevermind that this was finalized four years ago.

My ex-wife, (again) was exposed to covid at work, and tested positive. Currently not showing any symptoms, but with it possibly being transmitted to my kids, I miss out on Thanksgiving with them.

My younger brother tested positive for covid, and is fighting with the loss of taste and fever, sweating, and chills.

My other brother has gone off on his meds, again, stressing out my parents.

Plus side, I hit four years sobriety on the 9th.

This loving sucks.

Congrats on sobriety?

Honestly, I know the x amount of time left thing sucks. Hit me (or a more active person) up if you need anything.

Edit: That may have come across poorly. You freaked me out, the get help thread has been quiet lately and I was spooked.

Seriously, hit me up via PM if needed, I log on pretty regularly.

ASAPI fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 23, 2020

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Ziji posted:

Getting a divorce. Finally got my meds right and was level headed again for the most part. Was a brutal pill to swallow especially when it seemed like everything was looking up. Thought I'd let you guys know since it was a whole thing a while back. Wish I could see things as negatively as everyone else but I was really hoping it wouldn't turn out this way.

Congrats on meds being right, that step helps so much.

I don't think anyone is ever truly happy about a divorce. I know I would always wonder about it working out, what could have been, what did I do wrong (or right), etc. The key is you identified something broken and took steps to protect and fix yourself.

Good luck my dude.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Time Crisis Actor posted:

I’d really like some help with one of my former junior Marines. He’s had a rough few years recently, but has been decently stable since getting out. However, I’ve been talking with him on encrypted messaging apps and he has been spiraling since February. He has been acting more and more paranoid, and I’m getting really concerned but I don’t know how to help.

Does anyone have any advice? You can post or PM me.

See if you can get him on an actual call. Sometimes hearing the other person's voice helps. At least, I've had luck with that in the past.

I can understand that you might be hesitant to call any form of services, god only knows how they will interact with him.

Try to at least talk over the phone so you can gauge how bad they are, and how desperately they need help/treatment. I would rather be the guy who made people knock on the door, and everything is ok, than have no one knock.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

boop the snoot posted:

There was a guy in my apartment building acting erratically towards other residents. I called the suicide hotline for advice.

This may be completely unethical* but I got the guy’s contact info from a friend of mine who works in the leasing office (and has first hand knowledge of his erratic behavior as well as his veteran status). I forwarded his contact info to the suicide hotline and they reached out to him.

I think it was a positive experience for him because there weren’t any other incidents (he since moved out).

*I ignored the ethical implications because he’s a black man acting erratically and the building manager was threatening to call the cops on him.

Suicide line guys will call a person for you? I didn't know that. That may have prevented some poo poo if I knew this years ago.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

boop the snoot posted:

Like I said, there may be some serious ethical grey areas to the whole situation, but I was desperate to get this dude some help. The suicide hotline (the 8255 number) person said they would contact him so I just kind of took a leap of faith with it.

If I got into some legal trouble for violating privacy or something, I would make the same decision again anyway.

Grey areas aside, this is incredibly useful. I've had some guys in the past that this could have helped (I already had contact info), hopefully I don't need them again, but it is a great tool to have access to.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I loving hate my job. Someone tell me how to get into cyber security. I'm willing to go back to school for it. I have a BS in Business Admin and Marketing and I'm almost finished with a Masters in Homeland Security.

My mental health has been so hosed since my dad died a few months ago, and being in a toxic work environment with sociopaths for leaders isn't helping.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread. I'm struggling here.

Tell us why you hate your current job and why you think cyber is better. There are enough of us that can point you in the right direction. I have a feeling that what you hate about your current job will be the same in cyber.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I hate my job because of the toxic leadership, who is loving over any chance of mine to transfer - he talked poo poo about me to other potential employers (inside the company) when they called for a reference.

I hate not using my intellect. I wanted to go into federal intel, but so far I've had zero luck whatsoever. Years ago I got into the FBI hiring process for Intel Analyst, passed the first test, then failed the written essay test that was somehow graded by a loving computer. Tried for NSA, passed their crazy rear end test, but was not referred. All of this because I stupidly never joined the military, so all the vets with security clearances and/or intel experience get every job over me. Hundreds of applications, customized cover letters, tailored resume for jobs. So much time wasted.

Applications to ATF, DEA, DHS, USSS, even TSA - all Intelligence Analyst or Investigative Analyst positions - rejected. I've been told its because I accurately self assess my KSAs, while other people lie and say they're an expert in everything - so the loving dumbass algorithm only sends those liars forward and leaves anyone honest behind.

I've got no "in" anywhere important. Only in USDA, and they're not doing poo poo. And I'm aged out for any 1811 series poo poo, not that I'd be medically cleared, with my back injury.

Got no education for cyber, or computer poo poo. I feel so goddamn useless.

Their advice about KSAs is correct. I work with some feds, no way they have the skills they say they have (there is a well used document, that gets updated often containing step by step instruction on how to copy/paste). "Correct" federal resumes read like garbage and are super long with every key word imaginable.

I can't speak to the recruiting of the intel guys, but I suspect it is something stupid that they "think" you need checked off.

Look into "cyber security" boot camps from your local college/university. They are usually about 6 months long, but get you all the certs needed to start moving into cyber security. Warning, entry level cyber poo poo seems like completely garbage work, mostly dealing with people that sound dumber than your current situation. Most likely you would have to start in the civilian side or as a contractor to move into an actual fed role.

Also of note, while working with the feds, I have noticed that most of their full time guys moved over from a contract position. That seems to be the goal of all fed contractors, which makes it harder for you to apply from the outside. So if you are dead set on the federal side, look into contract positions with like Leidos, Mantec, Booz Allan (sp?), etc

Good luck man, hope you find what you want.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Crab Dad posted:

Leidos just took over the contract for NMCI and had a lot of openings. Even more by next month with the vaccine mandate for vaccine status. I work as a partner/subcontractor with CDW-G but I use to be a prime under the prior NMCI holder Perspecta. Getting in with them is a pipeline for gov work. Literally half our field techs get absorbed by gov positions within the first year.
One thing I like about the pace of gov contracts is it’s much slower. So many loving layers of admin that things simply can’t go fast. I got basically no stress in my position because I can always shift the blame to another level (95% legitly) but when I actually get something done early you look like a hero and it’s unexpected.

Check out the Leidos and CDW site. Get that foot in the door. I just got hired on a reservist who’s working on his bachelors in some cyber network security degree while he wretches on printers during the day on whidbey. CDW was ok with that because they said once he got his degree they’d find a more appropriate position for him in house or on the gov side.

I'm currently with Leidos, so shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

rifles posted:

Lost one in my squad last week. Another self-admitted this past weekend. Everyone struggles, and it's been especially hard for a long time now. Know that you're not alone. Take a minute and make sure your people know it too.

I am so sorry to hear that. I hope self admit guy gets the help they need.

It's hard when it happens and you just find out. I hope things get better for you and your crew.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

I edited it out because I felt bad venting about my husband and his cycles of depression/suicidal ideation due to work stress and how it affects me, I hate that I get angry at him and his not getting help and refusing to try different kinds of therapy again because it didn't work once in the past. I still feel bad about it, I don't know what else I could do and frankly I don't know how long I could deal with it because I can't support us both and I also hate how I just want to run away from all this and go back to being alone sometimes.

Don't feel bad for venting. It helps.

The support structure for spouses and SOs that deal with the same issues you are having sucks. Maybe there is a Alannon style group in your area that could help?

Vented helps me, so I vent. I hope your husband gets the help he needs.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

boop the snoot posted:

About venting….

I had a bad night Saturday night. It was the first time I have lost control of myself like that in years. It felt like all of the work I had done on myself was getting thrown out the window. I haven’t felt emotions this intense in about a decade.

I was throwing it all away again. Everything good in my life. I absolutely went too far.

But you know what I did at the height of my manic behavior?

I called someone. Something I have never done until I’ve already burned bridges and hit rock bottom.

And it helped. I was still stressed. I was still pacing around my apartment all night. I was having conversations with nobody, just to get my emotions out. I didn’t sleep for about 40 hours.

But I stopped my destructive skid out of control. Right in its tracks. A bit too late, but gently caress you, I managed to regain control of myself where I’d never been able to before.

I fuckin’ rock.

Ten years ago, when I was feeling that emotionally intense, I tried to put a bullet in my head.

Saturday night I was going through my drawers looking for pen and paper. I looked in my nightstand and didn’t even acknowledge the pistol. I only acknowledged that there wasn’t pen and paper. It was actually a moment where, in the height of everything, I was still able to take a second and realize that I didn’t even notice the pistol after I had closed the drawer and took a few steps.

That’s a big loving deal to me.

I had to visit the dark side a bit to see it, but goddamn have I gotten better.

Good for you! Even better that not only are you improving, you notice it. I hope you continue to heal.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Eason the Fifth posted:

If you don't mind, let me know how they work and if you think they're worth it. I have a Prozac bottle sitting on my counter I got like a year ago but never worked up the bravery to try. When the anxiety gets bad I think they might be worth taking but in the end I never do.

Strongly suggesting that you try the meds. Worse case scenario, they do nothing. Best case you feel better.

Going on meds saved my marriage and allowed me to start “getting better.”

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Hahahhahahhah

Another
job, one with the state, is now almost assuredly out of my reach. Went through everything required, almost the entire hiring process, and I get an inside scoop and found out they're probably not hiring externals anytime soon. All of the effort to get the opportunity and it's all for nothing.

I dont even know why I keep trying. Either I gently caress up the opportunity, or I get hosed by lovely luck through no fault of my own. I'm so loving stupid I open my dumb loving mouth and ruin an opportunity for myself. Or I just get hosed. Every single time it's one or the other. And that's not even counting the hundreds of applications that go literally nowhere.

Try hitting up the Fed/State contractors. Ignore the direct hire gov jobs, they have some bizarre ways of figuring out if you get the job or not. Contractors are easier to get into and provide a pipeline to the direct hire gov work.

Also make sure your resume is set up for gov positions. Look it up/get a pro to look at it, they follow different rules and look completely different from what all of us were told is "normal" and accepted.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Booger Presley posted:

Holy poo poo. Flick and Baldomero are dead. There is nothing I can do. What the gently caress. Where are my friends? Why did this happen. Where are my friends.

That sucks. It always sucks. But you have to just keep going, you know?

They aren't really gone as long as you (and others) remember them.

I feel you man, it sucks.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Talktopus posted:

I've connected him with a (Vietnam-era) combat veteran in the program. They're going out for coffee tomorrow to talk about this. I can only hope the older guy has a good message for my friend, and that he'll be receptive enough to give this a shot.

This would have been one of the first things (next to trying to get him to actually go to therapy) suggested by the thread. In all likelihood he will need an actual therapist (maybe a psychiatrist with some meds?) to help him unpack, accept, and process everything he's been carrying around for how ever many years.

For some, having a "sounding board" with similar experiences can help direct the person to therapy, some need it during therapy as a sort of "reality check", and some needs that person throughout the entire process. You did a great thing getting him in touch with another vet to help out.

You did good OP. I hope both he and you continue your sobriety and good health. If possible, try to nudge him towards more professional help, they are better equipped to help him process some things, but a buddy is the next best thing/great start.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I'm not sure how a lawyer will help you. Eviction takes time, likely more than the two months you have left on your lease (I believe the process takes 90 days in my area).

The water station may or may not be governed by local and/or state regs/laws. Again, not sure if a lawyer will be of use for this. By the time things are filed, dates set, etc, you will be moving out as your lease is ending.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

feverish and oversexed posted:

that's what I'm figuring, and this may just be a big bluster on his part to scare me. But since he's asking for a lawyer I suppose I better get one just in case? I totally missed saying in my original post, he was on the property today telling us to remove EVERYTHING and its all blight, he's literally never visited the entire two years I've lived here before.

I actually contacted the CRRC and they have a legal person I left a message with, thanks for this recommendation I didn't think to straight call the VA and ask if the have a legal clinic here locally as well. Thanks

For now, it makes the most sense to me (not a lawyer) to remove the water stuff as that would likely be the grounds used to evict you. Even if the VA lawyer calls you back today and they can help, by the time that is achieved you are moving out due to the lease ending.

I get that you are pissed and/or scared due to the whole situation. I don't see how you "win" in this scenario. Landlord already said the lease isn't going to be renewed in less than 2 months, he won, you lost. Pushing the water issue will only add more fuel to the fire. I would focus my time on finding a new place or an organisation locally to help me find a new place.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Mustang posted:

Really liking the therapist I've been seeing for the past 2+ months, but man is she expensive. I'm still looking for work, do employer healthcare plans often cover these kinds of therapists? Her website says she's an out of network provider but she provides a "superbill" to send to people's insurance. From what I've read I'm pretty sure the VA won't cover her service.

I like the weekly appointments, but it would be like $6k a year out of pocket to keep that up.

Some do, some don't. The issue I found is that potential employers often don't like revealing the whole health plan, only that baseline cost chart unless you have already accepted an offer. That might just be because I only get chosen by shady companies, I don't know.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Arione posted:

Got kicked out (retired) of the Navy in April for bi-polar disorder. Made E6 in 5 years, then started catching NJP's for the absolute dumbest poo poo.

Emphasis mine.

First things first. How are you doing with your meds and have you mentioned this to your doctor yet? I know it can be difficult at times for people with bi-polar to feel "right". You may want to see about adjusting things to help some. If you aren't already, I would try some talk therapy in addition to whatever visits you have for meds.

Second, are you sure you want to stay in Hawaii?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Arione posted:

Yeah, hated talk therapy and its never helped. Last psychologist basically told me I was a child and a spoiled rich kid.

Taking the meds, psychiatrist likes the ones I'm already on, says im stable and we meet every 3 months at this point.

No I absolutely loving hate Hawaii, but my wife wont leave and I dont want to get divorced. I'm stuck here for the next 20 or so years, then I'll move back to florida, sell the house, and live off my VA and w/e 401k I can build. Ill be 56 at that point and maybe I can find some gold digger 20 year old to leave eveything to, idk never having kids. Dont want em anyways, gotta give it all to someone.

Give talk therapy another try. Make sure you and the therapist mesh right. Sometimes, therapists have to tell you things you either don't want to hear or have a hard time dealing with/unpacking. Many (if not all of us) had to learn some hard truths and do quite a bit of internal assessment over the years, especially when seeing a therapist.

At first, it really sucks (at least it did for me). After a while, you gain some different perspectives and mental tools. Then it starts paying off.

How you previously described your wife and what you mentioned in the above quote is telling me that you would likely benefit from some talk therapy, especially concerning your relationships. You might need some alone time, as in not in a relationship alone. Work on yourself some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

The Valley Stared posted:

I found out last night that an officer I worked with briefly on the Fitzgerald committed suicide.

What's both shocking to me and also that hit of realization is that I exchanged several e-mails with him not even two weeks ago. He reached out to see how I was doing which was a surprise as we didn't work together long, and hadn't been close. I told him that I was doing well, gave him a brief update on what was going on in my life, and promised that I'd keep him up to speed on what was happening with my career.

Part of me wonders if he was trying to subtly seek help too, and none of us realized it.

This is now the third person I've worked with from that ship that's ended their life. While he wasn't there for the collision, I know that he was deeply affected by it, and was conflicted by deciding to stay in the service and continue on as an XO/CO of ships.

I hope that he's found some peace, but I also know that he left behind a lot of people that will miss him.

Man, that really sucks. I think many of us have had similar happen in the past. It can be hard as hell to figure out if someone is reaching out for info/to catch up or if they are really asking for help/"getting their lives in order", I've only caught it once. (and that was really because another person I happened to be in touch with mentioned an odd interaction with that person)

I'm sorry that this happened both to you, and your shipmate.