Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
My best friend disappeared Monday morning after a fight with her husband. Turns out I was the last person to hear from her: She sent me a screengrab of an argument they had via text and told me he'd "laid hands on [her] again."

Yesterday evening they found her unconscious in the back seat of her car, apparently due to deliberate overdose.

I'm tired of losing people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Genocide Tendency posted:

Unconscious? As in there is still some hope?

Yeah, things seem to be looking up. But I'm probably not going to relax until I hear from her myself.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Today's my wife's birthday. I'm going to be visiting her gravesite with flowers and a small bottle of mead that I made. She really liked it last time I made it.

It's been a rough 20 months, but I'm getting through it. The first six or so were probably the worst.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
My best friend killed herself last night.

gently caress.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

Why you? Like, I'm genuinely curious now.

Statistical outlier?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Something has to balance out my enormous penis, I guess.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Did she complete her annual suicide training?

Really?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm sorry man. Just a little dark humor. Last time someone held back you called them a pussy. It's a lovely situation and a dumb joke.

I guess it would have helped if it was a good joke.

Yeah, no, you're right. It wasn't a good joke. :v:

But seriously, though, I think I had eighteen simultaneous reactions to your post and most of them require knowledge I didn't share. My friend was a civilian, never served. Also I misread it at first and took "suicide training" to mean "training on how to commit suicide."

Brain no worky so good lately.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah i know and i figured. I was just trying to make a stupid crack to help you smile a bit.

If it makes you feel better, it worked once I realized what was going on.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Gonna be honest, my sense of humor is broken and I'm swinging wildly between "that's funny" and "gently caress YOU IN THE NECK rear end in a top hat"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Also that joke in the drunk thread was funny as gently caress no matter what my mood so don't feel bad about that one.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

maybe a dumb joke but you know some commander in some unit somewhere has asked about suicide awareness training before asking anything else when a soldier in their unit killed themselves.

That's literally what happened when my wife attempted suicide and her unit tried to get access to resources to help her.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

My best bud just went into an inpatient program. He's the last of my friends alive. This poo poo sucks. (Sorry about stepping on your toes McNally. I don't have anyone to tell anymore)

That sucks, man. I hope your buddy is okay.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Finally caught up the thread.

So....McNally is a depression angel of death?
Maybe he could a start a service to stay away from happy people or ELSE.

Florida is a state of mind to some, a humid hell on earth to others, and a place to live for roughly 21 million people + 10 Billion mosquitoes.
Soulex, I hope your family makes it through the hurricanes.

Yeah, my life is pretty awful.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Drinking doesn't make you feel better. It makes you care less.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I met the woman who got my wife’s heart today. I got to hear my wife’s heartbeat through a stethoscope.

Then I went to a reunion of my high school class. It was nice seeing old friends, some of whom I’ve known since elementary school. Being around people was probably the thing I needed most today.

Now I’m sitting alone in my room thinking about how all of them were there with their boyfriends/girlfriends or husbands/wives.

gently caress this is hard.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Syrian Lannister posted:

McNally, how you doing today buddy?

Tired. Drained. Lonely.

Also a little worried about the three different papers due this week.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Well, the tree is up and the house smells like pine.

Nothing like subtle reminders of the worst period of your life. Thanks, Christmas.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Soulex posted:

Have you tried switching things up? Instead of traditions you did as a team, are there things you can recreate and do for yourself?

I’m glad you’re doing better and I hope Christmas doesn’t lose it’s magic for you because of this. It took me 30 years to like Christmas and look forward to it.

Even without family, it can be a good time. You just need to know where to look.

I live with my parents and would prefer not have to tell dad "let's not have a tree this year because it bums me out."

It's not as bad as it was last year, but Christmas is still not what it used to be.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

christmas is a month of guilt where the best you’ll make out is maybe socks

Oh, thanks, I was struggling with what to get my GIP Secret Santa recipient.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
It's been two years.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Valley Stared posted:

I had an anxiety attack last night before I was supposed to head up with a friend to go rafting. It's been a little over a year since the collision, and I think was caused the attack was a sense that I had lost control of the situation. I figured we were heading up around 6 in morning, and I got told close to 2100 that we needed to leave at 0400.

It was a super minor thing, but it kept me up for hours. My brain just kept going over things, with one of the biggest being that I need sleep. Driving with less then 6 hours of sleep is bad. The water and the movement also came up at points of anxiousness, but they weren't the key things.

Hell, that was one of the things that came out in the comprehensive review of the collision is that we'd done too many high risk evolutions on the 16th, and that no one had had adequate sleep when the collision happened on the 17th.

I'm at grad school right now, and I don't think I realize how structured everything is until this happened. I know days in advance what's happening. Sure there's stress in writing all of my papers, but I know when I need to start things and when things are due. Again, there's that structure.

I'm going to go speak to the counselor tomorrow (it's a military grad school, and she was recommended to me by the dean of students/my program officer) to talk this out more and see if there's things I can do to try and cope better when spontaneous things happen that are outside of my control.

Does this happen to anyone else? This sense that if you don't plan things out well ahead of time and things just happen that you don't expect, you start to panic?

I haven't had suicidal thoughts, and am taking much better care of myself since I left Japan. This was just the worse anxiety attack I've had in a really long time.

I think this is normal. I'm glad to hear you're going to talk to someone about it, because that was probably the advice you were going to get in here.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I think I'm one frustrating email away from driving to the Pentagon and demanding to speak with the Secretary of the Army.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I had that problem once. I contacted the national office of the VSO that wasn’t answering and they put me in touch with people that did answer.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

I've been keeping pressure one the Facebook pages of my congressman and one of my senators because they're conspicuously silent on the issue of survivor benefits when I call and write to them.

What I never anticipated, though, was how many people would end up attacking me for daring to suggest that someone who sends generic form letters to a veteran and surviving spouse regarding matters related to survivor benefits might not actually support veterans and military families that much.

I am growing increasingly tired of trying to nail this particular piece of jello to the wall, especially with the third anniversary of my wife's death coming up on the 10th.

Sarah suggested that there's a weird form of sexism at play here: If I were a grieving widow, I probably wouldn't get the same kind of push-back. Yet somehow a widower's grief is less valid.

I'm loving tired. I know in my heart nothing is going to change, but I just can't give up.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I didn't think this would have been necessary to put into words, but here goes:

No shitposting in the Get Help thread.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
That's awful, man. I'm so sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Bored As gently caress posted:

Hahahhahahahhahhqhahahhahahhahha

loving dream job rejects me after I pass the dreaded resume filter. Get through two online tests, even get through a loving phone interview. Then I get an in person interview. 2 weeks later a letter. Thanks a lot. Try again maybe.

I'm so loving stupid. I can't even believe I thought they might take a loving retarded broke brained piece of poo poo like me. Why. Why loving would they? Why would any job? I hosed the interview. I thought I did okay in 3 areas. But then I bad mouthed my current job a little like a loving moron. Said promotions are witheld cuz its kind of an old boys club. Probably hosed up two or three other questions too cuz I'm a dumb piece of poo poo.

Have an interview coming up with a job that I'll hate and requires a 2 yr contract before you can apply for other positions in the agency. Lmao why am I even thinking that far? I'm such a dumb piece of poo poo who is too honest in interviews and blabs his loving mouth too loving much becUse of a broke loving brain. I'll never even get passed an in person interview, much less a medical and poly. Years of not doing any illegal drugs cuz poo poo i want a good job better not smoke weed that might help my anxiety, better not try those ketamine clinics that help ptsd snd severe depression! loving so loving stupid. I'm literally the dumbest "intelligent" person on the planet.

Years of study, countless books, interest, podcasts, keeping up with foreign affairs, literally all for nothing. loving cool

Pushing 40 and I'm still not in a career. loving wasted my life. Dad's dead so I have no one to talk to make me feel better. Literally past the half way point in my life and I've got gently caress all to show for it

McNally throw me a ban and a week probe please

I'd much rather you hang out here and get some positive reinforcement, man. Making you take a week off and then ten bucks for the privilege of coming back is not what you need right now, dude.