Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You hanging in there, bird cooch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'd call the Vet Center if you have one of those in town first for advice, but this might be one of those situations where catching him in passing, doing the typical vet identification talk dance and just telling him you're concerned others may take his talk more serious, will probably do more for him than calling most anyone. Just trying to watch another vets' back angle.

If it was me I'd break that ice while walking the dog, smoking a joint and trying to catch him in passing. But I'm full of bad ideas. Don't be afraid to say hello to another vet though. He might need it more than you.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I've not heard of that, but I was diagnosed with sacroiliitis while still on active duty, which is in the same ball park. Though in the past decade, it's not been problematic at all. Something like 6% of my unit was diagnosed with it within a year of returning from deployment. I attribute my lack of inflammation to heavy cannabis use, but correlation isn't causation and while cannabis has anti-inflammatory properties, nothing has been proven yet, so don't take that as reliable, I just like weed.

Then there's brucellosis, which is a disease spread amongst livestock. It can lead to something called Ankylosing Spondylitis, which also plays hell on the lower back and pelvis. Brucellosis presents like a flu, knocks you down for a few days to a week if it's not serious. Occasionally you hear about people in the US coming down with it, usually livestock farmers. On deployments, avoid bazaar camels, don't ride them or pet them, get pictures of the idiots in your unit doing that poo poo.

Point is, there's a lot of stuff that could be the problem. VA medicine being what it is, you might want to seek a second opinion.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just start writing it out. Even if it's a garbled mess, getting it out on screen or paper might help you organize the thought train.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
How likely is it you can find another place on short notice?

At the very least, change the lock on your door yourself (assuming you rent a bed, share a bath situation). Put a deadbolt on. Then get one of those usb charger spycams. $30-50~ on ebay/amazon. They look like lovely (and also are) usb-a or whatever that charges slow as gently caress, less likely to be stolen.

If you can afford to put your more valuable stuff somewhere safer, do it. Noise isn't going to be solved cheap, so I've got nothing there.

For now, since you're locked in, you could always take the lock apart, if you're mechanically inclined. Screws should always be on the inside, but your landlord sounds champion level incompetent. (Wasabi has the better idea)

I would try to gtfo, find a new place, leave that rear end in a top hat off your rental history, or give the next place a reference number for a friend and have them play landlord on the phone. I realize trying to move sucks no matter the geography right now, rents are loving stupid, let alone having to drum up a new deposit. Not to pry, but whereabouts are you roughly located?

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 18, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I sleep with the tv on at low volume. The light doesn't bother me, but a radio, podcasts, audiobooks, etc, would probably be effective as well.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Glad they caught your cancer early enough to do something about it, MW. Hope you're doing well.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
What would you say your field is?

For what it's worth, I don't think many of us here are where we wanted to be by 40.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Ahhh, that's why you're getting overlooked without veteran status. Any vet applying has/had a clearance, which saves private companies money from paying for it, and saves time for the government in filling the position.

There are probably gov jobs you can apply for and get, boring ones you'll probably hate, that will get you a clearance. Once you have that clearance, doors open a lot more smoothly. And there are a bunch of poo poo gov jobs that will get someone a clearance. It's not going to be a job most people will want, but it can get you a clearance and mobility for jobs within the system is much easier than from the outside.

Not saying it's ideal, just an option. You might even look into gov affiliated nonprofits, depending on how closely they work with the government. Even the retail workers at national parks need to fill out an SF85.

E: either way, keep applying, but look at gov ancillary work. loving sucks you didn't have the opportunity to go military, we really need a viable option for service for medically restricted folks, not everyone needs to go overseas. We really need a new Civilian Conservation Corps, which in turn would need it's own computer touchers with clearances because money and whatnot.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 3, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Aopeth posted:

Nevermind.

I saw your post, but I'm not exactly the brain you should be picking.

Given your circumstances, you would probably benefit from a counselor. Go see someone. I won't air your edited out stuff, but you have first hand evidence that seeking help works. You probably don't need the extreme example you provided personally, but 30 minutes a week of someone talking you through can be a big help. The path you're on is new to you, some guidance isn't a bad thing.

You mentioned you're O. You've had to make these kind of recommendations or read announcements and sit through too many hours of training slides at some point. Sometimes the person that needs to really hear that announcement or really read that brief is the one whose desk it lands on to distribute.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Take some deep breaths, man.

My shoes were pretty similar a decade ago. I was in a marriage I wanted no part in anymore. I didn't want what she wanted. Namely kids, but largely, we were just two different people all the way down and could rarely agree.

It's not an easy road. I went through the divorce completely unsure of who I was anymore, drunk for a lot of it. Foreclosure eventually came around. I met someone else and again found myself in a situation where we couldn't agree on things, like the idea of kids or where to live. After loving that up, I finally just moved to Colorado on my own and haven't bothered dating. I'm still shaking out who I am. How to contain anger. How to manage without familial support. It all takes time, some can manage it faster or easier, some of us cannot.

My opinion might as well be poo poo, but you should probably sit down with her and have that talk. Doesn't mean you have to break it off, if nothing else, at least re-establish where you are, communicate. Can't guarantee it won't hurt, can almost guarantee that it will. Couples counseling might help, but you really have to dance carefully to avoid blame and focus on progress.

It might also be a good time to adjust meds. If you're not seeing benefit from them, they need to adjust. Call and schedule a time with your psychiatrist, see if there are other options. Depression loves to just make poo poo not matter. People, jobs, hobbies. Fighting the depression with a change in meds can help, but you have to make that call. I think most everyone here would support you in making that call.

For the moment, breathe through it. Deep and slow. Take some time to organize your thoughts coherently for when you talk to her. You can get through this, but it's going to take work. And you can always vent at us when you're angry, she's probably having a hard time with it too. At the very least, don't go throwing away a good friendship. I did. I regret it. It doesn't dictate my life, but I do wish I didn't end things so poorly.

E: you didn't have to repost after the edit out, I'm used to replying to blank spaces. Hope you're doing better this morning though.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Aug 15, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
gently caress, man. I'm sorry to hear it.

Are you okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Hope you're holding it together, boogs.