Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Edit: dumb joke that shouldnt have been said.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm sorry man. Just a little dark humor. Last time someone held back you called them a pussy. It's a lovely situation and a dumb joke.

I guess it would have helped if it was a good joke.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nah i know and i figured. I was just trying to make a stupid crack to help you smile a bit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Well, silver lining and all. Keep your head up man.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also, if you are a combat vet*, you are eligible to use your local vet center versus the VA clinic/hospital for mental health needs. Here's a link for Atlanta's since I think I read you say something about Georgia:

https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/facility.asp?ID=651

*To be a combat vet means you were just deployed to a warzone. If you have a campaign ribbon for OIF or OEF you almost certainly qualify. I use the vet center, personally, and I'm just a navy guy who sat off the coast of southern Iraq for the better part of a year. I'm a "combat veteran" under VA rules as a result. Don't get too hung up on the distinction, though. It's just another mental health resource for us.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thalantos posted:

I've got 30% PTSD disability rating from the VA. it should probably be more (looking at the online VA guidance for mental health disabilities, I'm pretty dang sure I should be at 50%, but...yeah, getting disability the first time was a mother.

You are absolutely eligible for vet center use which might be faster access for you. Further, you should be rated higher. Did you use a VSO last time you put in your claim?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bird Cooch - were you ever deployed to a "combat zone?" This doesn't mean did you see combat, but rather were you ever some place that's designated as such.

If you did, you're a "combat veteran" and qualify for Vet Center services. Google and see if you have a local vet center. They're not a part of the VA, but they're integrated and can provide counseling and such. They don't have people there that can prescribe meds, but your VA PCM will write you an Rx for anything they recommend. I know a lot of vets that prefer the vet center vs VA for counseling and such, myself included.

As far as anxiety goes, it's a motherfucker to deal with, but it's also something that is very manageable with practice. You're not good at it now, but you will be in time. Big things that help are to ground yourself. Place your feet both flat on the ground/floor. Rest your arms in a comfortable position. Take in your surroundings. Look at how no one else and no other creatures are stressed. Anxiety is your body kicking your flight or fight defense into high gear for no reason. You can help this by focusing on things that are safe and comfortable. If you have pets around, they're great for this.

There is no easy and quick solution. Everything takes time and effort, but you'll be better off for it in the long run.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Have they told you about MISSION/community care copays? Because that’s one of the things that caught my eye in the new legislation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sarah posted:

So I dig through the training today because I had a lot of downtime and there was no information on copays outside of urgent care visits.

I did find out how to find a provider though, it’s through va.gov/find-locations

FYI to be eligible for urgent care benefit you must be an enrolled veteran who received hospital care or medical services in a VA facility or care authorized by VA and performed by a community care provider in the last 24 months.

If you go to an urgent care that is out of network you will pay 100% out of pocket.

Services that are included:
Imaging
14 days of medications (shorter for opioids)
Labs
Vaccines

Preventive care is not included outside of vaccines.

So from the training about the pharmacy part, it sounds like it you are having an emergency and you are out of medication you can go to an urgent care and get enough to get you through. Which is a really good thing because I absolutely hate the mailing system. I’ve had multiple experiences with the USPS loving up my delivery and mailing my meds back.

Another thing that I wrote down that caught my attention is that the mission act requires the VA to report to Congress which veterans are eligible for community care, are we providing them with their eligibility and what is the veteran choosing to do?

So last year I posted something about how I overheard an employee say they didn’t have an open appointment for 30+ days and another employee telling them to make sure they don’t tell the veteran they can be seen outside the VA. It blew my mind. Why wouldn’t you do the right thing? Well now they have to inform you if you’re eligible and report back on your choice.

Bolded something that grabbed my eye - is that urgent care like a walk in clinic or ER rooms? The fact that they're adding copays to my VA coverage is irritating enough, but just :wtc: if they are taking away emergency room coverage.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This sucks. If you need anything, let us know.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You cannot force yourself into someone's life. You can be available, accessible, and understanding to your friends and those around you. You can't make them talk or work on things, though. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him see a shrink. You can't beat yourself up for something you had no ability to do.

Also, you aren't a therapist. People with severe mental health issues are not going to be fixed by you. Doctors exist for a reason.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The Vet Center is great.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

boop the snoot posted:

About venting….

I had a bad night Saturday night. It was the first time I have lost control of myself like that in years. It felt like all of the work I had done on myself was getting thrown out the window. I haven’t felt emotions this intense in about a decade.

I was throwing it all away again. Everything good in my life. I absolutely went too far.

But you know what I did at the height of my manic behavior?

I called someone. Something I have never done until I’ve already burned bridges and hit rock bottom.

And it helped. I was still stressed. I was still pacing around my apartment all night. I was having conversations with nobody, just to get my emotions out. I didn’t sleep for about 40 hours.

But I stopped my destructive skid out of control. Right in its tracks. A bit too late, but gently caress you, I managed to regain control of myself where I’d never been able to before.

I fuckin’ rock.

Ten years ago, when I was feeling that emotionally intense, I tried to put a bullet in my head.

Saturday night I was going through my drawers looking for pen and paper. I looked in my nightstand and didn’t even acknowledge the pistol. I only acknowledged that there wasn’t pen and paper. It was actually a moment where, in the height of everything, I was still able to take a second and realize that I didn’t even notice the pistol after I had closed the drawer and took a few steps.

That’s a big loving deal to me.

I had to visit the dark side a bit to see it, but goddamn have I gotten better.

Glad to hear it!!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Glad they caught your cancer early enough to do something about it, MW. Hope you're doing well.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bored As gently caress posted:

Hahahhahahahhahhqhahahhahahhahha

loving dream job rejects me after I pass the dreaded resume filter. Get through two online tests, even get through a loving phone interview. Then I get an in person interview. 2 weeks later a letter. Thanks a lot. Try again maybe.

I'm so loving stupid. I can't even believe I thought they might take a loving retarded broke brained piece of poo poo like me. Why. Why loving would they? Why would any job? I hosed the interview. I thought I did okay in 3 areas. But then I bad mouthed my current job a little like a loving moron. Said promotions are witheld cuz its kind of an old boys club. Probably hosed up two or three other questions too cuz I'm a dumb piece of poo poo.

Have an interview coming up with a job that I'll hate and requires a 2 yr contract before you can apply for other positions in the agency. Lmao why am I even thinking that far? I'm such a dumb piece of poo poo who is too honest in interviews and blabs his loving mouth too loving much becUse of a broke loving brain. I'll never even get passed an in person interview, much less a medical and poly. Years of not doing any illegal drugs cuz poo poo i want a good job better not smoke weed that might help my anxiety, better not try those ketamine clinics that help ptsd snd severe depression! loving so loving stupid. I'm literally the dumbest "intelligent" person on the planet.

Years of study, countless books, interest, podcasts, keeping up with foreign affairs, literally all for nothing. loving cool

Pushing 40 and I'm still not in a career. loving wasted my life. Dad's dead so I have no one to talk to make me feel better. Literally past the half way point in my life and I've got gently caress all to show for it

McNally throw me a ban and a week probe please

I don't know what others have said yet, but you're not dumb, and this poo poo sucks. Job hunting is miserable. I spent early 2018 through essentially april 2021 job hunting in multiple fields with multiple advance degrees. Hours of interviews only to be told they're going with someone younger and more expendable. It is god damned miserable, and I feel for you.

You will find something eventually. I've turned attending school into a career since it was the easiest path forward for me. I don't know where you'll end up, but I can say keep your head up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I read your other post, now, and I want to add that you gotta actively be nicer to yourself. Beating yourself up is easy, but it is not productive. Every time you call yourself dumb, broken, or whatever you're reinforcing a negative mental image. We aren't all equal. Everyone gets dealt a different hand. You're not broken - you just have different circumstances. You're not dumb, your mind just works differently.

It's very difficult to give yourself positive affirmations when depressed. It's doubly hard if you've spent your whole life beating yourself up instead of pumping yourself up. Like any other skill in life, it takes practice. If you can't say the nice things to yourself in your own voice, let it be someone else's voice telling you that you're alright until it gets easier for you to say it. Either way, try to focus on your upsides as much as you can. They deserve at least as much brain time as your downsides. It isn't easy, because your praise muscle is weak. It will help you feel better, and when you feel better it is easier to achieve your goals.

Thank you for sharing your struggle with us. I hope things start turning around in your world.