Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Thanks for making this!

I'm real interested in creating my own. Would I be able to tackle a low-budget attempt at this with the goo at the bottom of another kombucha?

I know there's the booger-ish thing at the bottom of the store-bought ones, but I've always heard it called the "mother".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
SCOBY and cheese cloth ordered.

God help us all.

I have also enrolled the girlfriend into helping. I am probably on the goddamn spectrum when it comes to this poo poo and I don't want to kill my new symbiosis friend.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Welp, I forgot to buy PH strips. I'll have to find a store with some (there's some brew stores around).

Sooooonnnnnnnn....

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Astonishing Wang posted:

gently caress that poo poo I've never used one. Is your water super funky?

You can find them at any place that sells pool supplies too. Or a nursery/garden center.

Got some from a homebrew shop, but they're homebrew specific. Only go down to like 4.6.

I'm just going to wing it.

First batch, en route! Pics when I get home.

Pics:

I'm excited but I'm not sure how it'll turn out.

The SCOBY that I got from a friend seemed to be the outer trimmings of a SCOBY so it wasn't really circular. Not sure how much that matters in the end.

Here's to hope!

Cannon_Fodder fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 28, 2017

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Nice. I'm going to try my first infusion on Friday when I get home. I

I'm about to pull the trigger on some 1 or 2 gallon jars.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I mixed a bit with orange juice for the second fermentation (2 days). No complaints. Next, I shall attack the mango.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
The first one I made was with an Amazon scoby. I have 3 more jars that are still fermenting with some friend-of-a-friend sourced scoby.

I want to try to do a running culture of some sort in a 3 gal jar. I'm about to pull the trigger on one to see what happens.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Mikey Purp posted:

This thread reminded me that I have 1 gallon of kombucha that I brewed almost a year ago that is still sitting in a dark cabinet in my kitchen. Pretty sure the SCOBY is sentient by now.

You made a jar full of alien preserves. Pics?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Astonishing Wang posted:

This is a reminder to not put a glass bottle of super hot tea into a sink full of ice water to cool it down. The bottom will crack and it'll start leaking tea into the sink, and you'll burn your dumb hands trying to pick up the hot bottle of tea to save it.

Also, I found some dried hibiscus flowers so I'm going to try making some Jamaica kombucha. I also bought some lavender but I don't know about using that as a flavoring.

Good idea!

I just started my 2 gallon continuous brew. poo poo gun be siickkk.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Good idea!

I just started my 2 gallon continuous brew. poo poo gun be siickkk.

4/1, I started my CB with very little starter and a fair bit of SCOBY, but it had been broken up by the person I got it from so it was in cut strips. (not sure why)

Queue Monday; the CB is moving along beautifully, but still too sweet to call Kombucha.

Today I get to go home and taste it for the first time since Monday and I'm very very pumped to see the results.

I've also started another gallon batch with a different SCOBY to see if this one turns out any better, taste-wise.

You've sent me down the rabbit hole.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I looked into it a bit, and had some info in the book I used (sorry, I'm at work right now) but the main point is that there's herbs and tea. 2 different things.

http://www.kombuchabrooklyn.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/tea_blending1.jpg

Some teas and herbs CAN make a decent tasting kombucha but can (on the long-term) cause damage and reduce efficiency to/of the SCOBY so you try to save SCOBY in a scoby hotel for experiments, but not your bottom-bitch SCOBY.

Here's the authors of the book explaining it on their site:

https://www.kombuchakamp.com/tea-and-kombucha-what-to-use-and-what-to-avoid

Good luck!

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I've been introducing people to Kombucha.

Very mixed results. ProTip: Do not describe it as "kind of a snotty hockey puck made of germs."

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
In between getting a dog and moving from 3 houses to 1, I've let my CB go far too long. Methinks I've got some Kombucha Vinegar and a 3 inch thick scoby.

At least starting a new batch should be a cakewalk.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I was making some pretty tasty stuff with the bog-standard Nestea Coldbrew packs.

I do need to step up my tea quality but I'm so overwhelmed by this house move that I haven't done diddly poo poo with my scoby friend.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

mindphlux posted:

have you guys learnt how to just brew some loving liptons and stop drinking literal garbage yet

Regarding Kombucha: :iia: Kiss my butthole, friend.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
One of us!

Nice man, I let mine fall by the wayside while I got a puppy and bought a house but soon the SCOBY will ride again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

runchild posted:

My aunt gave me a scoby for Christmas and I finally got to taste my first batch of booch this weekend. Used candied ginger (my homegrown had gone bad) for the 2nd ferment and it’s amazing. So drat gingery, so drat good.

I like this a lot! Looks like I'm shoppin' for Ginger.

• Locked thread