Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Problem description: Just built a new computer last weekend(specs below). When powering up the computer one of three things will happen

1) Everything boots 100% fine. 0 issues. Computer responds well to any kind of stress test I can throw at it with no freezing/crashing/etc. This happens maybe 1 out of 8 times I power on

2) No signal to screen. None of the ports work (display port, DVI, or HDMI). Only solution is to hold down the power button to shut down, and then power up again. Happens maybe 3 out of 8 times

3) Computer boots fine except the wifi card isn't detected by the system. No other issues noted but this computer needs the wifi for internet because of placement. Happens about half the time

Attempted fixes:

1) Reinstalled windows with full wipe and reinstall. Froze once or twice during both installs and had to be restarted. Repair install failed. Figure whatever is causing the problem is causing this issue too.

2) Updates to any and all firmware/drivers

3) Pulled all but one stick of RAM. This maybe helped a little? Hard to tell since it's so random. Either way problem was not completely resolved.

Recent changes:

-- New build so everything

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 64bit

System specs:
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-G3
CPU: Intel i5 6500
GFX card: Asus GTX1080
Ram: G.Skill TridentZ 4x8GB DDR4 (F4-3200C16Q-32GTZB)
HD: Samsung PM961 256GB (for OS)
PSU: 650W

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I'm not sure what it could be simply because it's so inconsistent. I figure it must be either a hardware or BIOS settings issue but besides that I'm pretty lost. At least it works perfectly fine if I turn it off and on 5-10 times or leave it on forever I guess?

Mostly just hoping someone has seen something similar so I'm not replacing parts at random until I find the troublemaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd use onboard video temporarily and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't then I'd also disconnect the WiFi card and see if that makes a difference.

What PSU exactly?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Zogo posted:

I'd use onboard video temporarily and see if that makes a difference. If it doesn't then I'd also disconnect the WiFi card and see if that makes a difference.

What PSU exactly?

I tried the onboard video when initially running into this problem before the windows install and it didn't make a difference at that stage. I disabled it in the BIOS after the windows install. Still worth trying? Haven't tried pulling the wifi card yet but I'll give that a shot next.

PSU is an Evga NEX650G

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Is it possible memory is the issue here? I haven't modified my voltage/timings/etc yet, but I'm wondering if it might be necessary for this RAM

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Good Citizen posted:

I tried the onboard video when initially running into this problem before the windows install and it didn't make a difference at that stage. I disabled it in the BIOS after the windows install. Still worth trying? Haven't tried pulling the wifi card yet but I'll give that a shot next.

PSU is an Evga NEX650G

The video card is probably okay then.

You only have the one SSD right?

Good Citizen posted:

Is it possible memory is the issue here? I haven't modified my voltage/timings/etc yet, but I'm wondering if it might be necessary for this RAM

It's possible but I would bet on the WiFi card before RAM. I would try the other stick.

• Locked thread