Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

get that OUT of my face posted:

the ESPN article linked in Gizmodo is bigger and more comprehensive than the gawker family's usual "here's a link to the story, a rundown of its contents, and a couple paragraphs of us editorializing" format. other highlights:
  • Maracana Stadium is abandoned and had its electricity shut off for failing to pay a nearly million-dollar electric bill. it was converted from a soccer stadium that once held 200,000 people for a World Cup Final in the '50s and was the center of the sport in Brazil
  • the organizing committee is $40 million in debt, the IOC refuses to help, and they're bartering with cables and air conditioners to pay off creditors
  • multiple brazilian medal winners are now living in poverty because they live off of government stipends that have been slashed to a pittance
  • brazil's sporting infrastructure is almost completely ruined, also due to government austerity
  • seeds that were promised to have been planted by the IOC in one Rio neighborhood are sitting in a greenhouse

the olympics are the worst and the IOC is worse than FIFA

You say that now but we haven't had the Qatar world cup yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Byolante posted:

I hope the blood paste from all the construction workers buried into the foundations seeps into the ground and poisons the athletic dorms.

WINNINGHARD
Oct 4, 2014

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I hope the blood paste from all the construction workers buried into the foundations seeps into the ground and poisons the athletic dorms.

man I wish poltergeist was real
"you only moved the headstonesssss!!!"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Byolante posted:

fun fact: during one of the rounds to decide who would host the 2016 olympics, Doha had more votes than Rio. the IOC still eliminated Doha during that round. why? how? who knows

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

fun fact: during one of the rounds to decide who would host the 2016 olympics, Doha had more votes than Rio. the IOC still eliminated Doha during that round. why? how? who knows

Well look at it this way, a lot more people would have died.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

USA was supposed to get the 2022 world cup and the bribes were all paid. Qatar did a backroom deal with France for cheap fuel in exchange for the head of UEFA organising a refixing in favour of Qatar. There is a fantastic interview with Blatter where he talks about how shocked he was by the result because the bribes had already been paid and he thought it had been decided.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Byolante posted:

USA was supposed to get the 2022 world cup and the bribes were all paid.
oh i know, and i'm still pissy about it

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Probably the worst part about FIFA and the Olypmics is that they'd be really cool without the graft and bribery and crippling instituonal debt they cause

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Larry Parrish posted:

Probably the worst part about FIFA and the Olypmics is that they'd be really cool without the graft and bribery and crippling instituonal debt they cause

The sad part is USA 2018 and Aus 2022 would have been perfect locations to host in terms of existing infrastructure and desirable locations for tourists to travel to. Neither had to build stadiums and had existing transport infrastructure equal to the task.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Byolante posted:

The sad part is USA 2018 and Aus 2022 would have been perfect locations to host in terms of existing infrastructure and desirable locations for tourists to travel to. Neither had to build stadiums and had existing transport infrastructure equal to the task.
that's a negative for FIFA, not a positive. if you don't have to build stadiums, then they don't get to be parasites that skim off bribe money from projects

also USA and Australia were both for 2022, England was for 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the ESPN article linked in Gizmodo is bigger and more comprehensive than the gawker family's usual "here's a link to the story, a rundown of its contents, and a couple paragraphs of us editorializing" format. other highlights:
  • Maracana Stadium is abandoned and had its electricity shut off for failing to pay a nearly million-dollar electric bill. it was converted from a soccer stadium that once held 200,000 people for a World Cup Final in the '50s and was the center of the sport in Brazil
  • the organizing committee is $40 million in debt, the IOC refuses to help, and they're bartering with cables and air conditioners to pay off creditors
  • multiple brazilian medal winners are now living in poverty because they live off of government stipends that have been slashed to a pittance
  • brazil's sporting infrastructure is almost completely ruined, also due to government austerity
  • seeds that were promised to have been planted by the IOC in one Rio neighborhood are sitting in a greenhouse

the olympics are the worst and the IOC is worse than FIFA

lmao pretty predictable outcome

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

etalian posted:

pretty predictable outcome

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
whats gonna collapse first, northamerica or southamerica

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

ArfJason posted:

systems collapse

look at the roman empire

they needed colonies to keep their empire

their colonies were too expensive to keep

so they had to make more colonies that increased their expenses

but they couldn't scale down because that would mean the loss of their empire status

so they disintegrated

https://www.transcend.org/tms/2017/07/pentagon-study-declares-american-empire-is-collapsing/

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ArfJason posted:

South America will collapse first but North America will collapse faster

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

https://www.voanews.com/a/colombia-santos-no-latam-leader-will-accept-us-militart-force-venezuela/3984445.html

Juan Manuel Santos rejecting any prospect of u.s. military intervention in Venezuela.

Am I right about Santos probably being the best conservative politician in the world (maybe alongside Merkel)? Seems like a genuine peacenik

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Santos is not good, but he's practically a saint compared to the American bootlicker Uribe.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Yossarian-22 posted:

https://www.voanews.com/a/colombia-santos-no-latam-leader-will-accept-us-militart-force-venezuela/3984445.html

Juan Manuel Santos rejecting any prospect of u.s. military intervention in Venezuela.

Am I right about Santos probably being the best conservative politician in the world (maybe alongside Merkel)? Seems like a genuine peacenik

anyone looks good if you compare them to uribe

it's too bad he's massively unpopular, I'm hoping whoever comes after him doesn't tear up the peace agreement

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The FARC did not deserve any pardons.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

qnqnx posted:

:yeah:

They deserved the whole country.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

qnqnx posted:

The people who did significantly worse than the FARC have seats in congress so lol.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ArfJason posted:

trick question. because the world is so interconnected, most of it will collapse at the same time

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
it's cool seeing search trends showing that a lot of people got real, real interested in systems collapse generally and the bronze age collapse in particular during the last year or two.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Temer signed the cancelation of an ecological reserve on the amazon and opened it to be completely raped by mining and logging companies but thank christ a judge put a injunction against that but it's just a matter of time before he gets it overturned.

Plutonis has issued a correction as of 15:12 on Sep 4, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The real collapse is what will happen when they sell every inch of rainforest for multinational corporations to utterly destroy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Rip the amazon

Fauxbot
Jan 20, 2009

I need more wine.
lula is making a tour of the north to show how popular he is, is that gonna help him/brazil generally?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Nossa, porra meu deus cala boca lixo do caralho hueahuehuea

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Las Falklands san Inglésas

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
o falklandi manito caralho velho

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
maradona gordo cocaina pele rei de futebol ta safadao

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkJ5Lc0WwVw

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
ok dumb posts aside i guess this is a good place as any to repost this

theres been amazing blowback to the disappearance of Santiago Maldonado to the point everyone is getting more divised than ever, ending in a protest that graffiti'd our Cabildo (old government house). There are reports, though they seem to be more rumors than anything, about college students being stopped by civilian dressed police and asking for ID, which is the exact same kind of stuff that was happening during our dictatorship on the 70s.

poo poo's scary if true.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ArfJason posted:

ok dumb posts aside i guess this is a good place as any to repost this

theres been amazing blowback to the disappearance of Santiago Maldonado to the point everyone is getting more divised than ever, ending in a protest that graffiti'd our Cabildo (old government house). There are reports, though they seem to be more rumors than anything, about college students being stopped by civilian dressed police and asking for ID, which is the exact same kind of stuff that was happening during our dictatorship on the 70s.

poo poo's scary if true.

loving yikes

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lmao four Supreme Court dudes have been denounced for corruption. Literally every institution is rotten.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

my dad's old work partner is retired and splits time between the US and buenos aires, where his wife is from (her family are Jews who emigrated from Germany to escape the Nazis). i wonder which will collapse first

Plutonis posted:

Lmao four Supreme Court dudes have been denounced for corruption. Literally every institution is rotten.
not glorious Bolsonaro

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

not glorious Bolsonaro

what I find most loltastic about him is that the army wanted his rear end on jail for conspiracy, treason and something else involving blowing up a bomb in a gov't building to blame the commies when the dictatorship was pretty much done for and he was hilariously saved by the general amnesty

human rights and the "democratic peace" literally got his rear end outta jail lmao

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

dead comedy forums posted:

what I find most loltastic about him is that the army wanted his rear end on jail for conspiracy, treason and something else involving blowing up a bomb in a gov't building to blame the commies when the dictatorship was pretty much done for and he was hilariously saved by the general amnesty

human rights and the "democratic peace" literally got his rear end outta jail lmao
the irony will be lost upon him if he ends up winning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Latest news here: Two queer art expositions were shut down, one by the police and another after protesting by rightwingers, Army General recently said that military intervention is necessary to save country, judiciary decision made "Gay Cure" interventions legal. Welp.

• Locked thread