Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Morning Tiger sat on an overturned cart and watched with the village smolder with a smile. The other brigands had left this village alone, thinking it too poor to bother with. What could be gained from robbing destitute farmers? Morning Tiger, though, was a clever man. Clever enough to know there was still something worth stealing even here.

He hopped down, one hand on his gunbelt as he walked in front of the lines of peasants alongside Bloody Eye Hari. "This one, that one... no, no, much too old." He stopped in front of a young man, grabbing him by the chin and turning his face back and forth. "He'll fetch a good price, eh, Hari? Pretty face like this, they'll be bidding each other up all day." As he spoke, Tiger suddenly felt a sharp pain in his shin.

"You leave him alone!" The little girl glared up at him, hands balled up in fists and her smoke-darkened face screwed up in defiance, despite the streaks of tears down her cheeks. Tiger threw back his head in laughter. There was a nasty edge to it as his bandits joined in.

He was reaching for his pistol when a clear voice cut through the noise. "The slaver may grow rich in gold, but grows ever poorer in dignity."

The statement, the tone, were so out of place that everyone turned to look at the woman who had spoken. She was clad in vermilion travel cloak and fine clothes, a calm smile on her face as she walked up the road, her hands tucked into her sleeves.

Tiger turned to look at Hari, who simply shrugged in confusion. There was no accounting for mad women. Tiger tilted his head back to get a better look at the woman. "I've got something better than dignity - steel! Why don't you come down here and we can see which matters more?"

The woman sighed, still walking forward at a steady pace, passing the pickets watching the road without even glancing at them. Mad for certain. "Those who care only for power, shall reap all the rewards power brings."

Tiger frowned now, and thought of ordering her shot, but Hari put a hand on his shoulder. "She has a fine figure. Might be worth more than the rest combined." He nodded, rubbing his chin thoughtfully - and yelped in surprise as his other shin received a painful kick.

He rounded on the girl, hand raised - and suddenly the woman was there.

The cloak and hat were still fluttering to the ground where she had been. But she was here, in front of him, apparently not having bothered with the space between. And there was a sword in her hand. The guard dug painfully into his jaw, but it was the blade against his throat Tiger was concerned with, its point aimed at the earth. A single droplet of blood ran down its gleaming edge as Hari and the others took one involuntary step back. There was a rattle of metal on metal as rifle bolts slammed closed and swords slid free of scabbards, a sharp hiss as staffs and spears were spun into fighting stances. In moments Tiger and the woman were at the center of a ring, every weapon leveled at them. The villagers hurried for cover, peering out from behind it with wide, frightened eyes.

The mad woman glanced at Tiger out of the corner of her eye, then looked back at Hari. Her expression was no longer serene. "Let me put it simply then. You will not lay a hand on this child." Tiger forced himself not to swallow, and looked imploringly at his lieutenant. She didn't meet his eye as she raised a hand to command the others.

The droplet of blood reached the tip of the sword, and hung there for a heartbeat...

This will be a PBP Godbound game in a custom setting that the players will help flesh out. The world is heavily inspired by the Legend of Korra in terms of tone and style, with elements from Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Valkyria Chronicles, and turn of the century/Republican era China (including martial arts films set in and around that time frame, like The Good, the Bad, and the Weird). This means a lot of wuxia action, a turn of the century theme in terms of technology and social issues, isolated cities with lots of hostile wilderness in between, and plenty of ruins of a lost ancient civilization with advanced magical technology.

Themes to expect include political intrigue, class conflict and revolution, the transition between the past and the future, uncovering ancient mysteries, imperfect industrial and technological innovation, and a whole lot of kung fu action. You can find an album of inspirational art here.

Please only apply one character and include a backstory. Character art is a big plus.

I don't actually want a full character build at this time; I'd prefer to work with selected players to make sure the sheets are correct. However, I would like to see your three Facts, and preliminary Word choices (if you want to have a particular Order or Strife in mind those are good to include as well).

If selected, you won't be held to those Word choices at build, but Words are as much about fluff as rules so it helps to round out the concept for me. You can even just give a general idea - eg. "Fire/Beast and unsure of a third," or "Alacrity, and maybe Fate/Sword or Might/Time" would be acceptable. I'm also willing to consider custom Words, Strifes, or Orders, though final approval will be required during character building.

As part of character building, we'll do some work to flesh out the world.

Recruit will be open until 22:00 Eastern US on Saturday, January 21 (that's 3:00 GMT Sunday, January 22). I'll be taking 4-6 players.

You can catch me on Discord.

You can get the free edition of Godbound off drivethrurpg; the Deluxe edition has a lot of good stuff as well, and the other Godbound books are available there.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
This is cool. I'm definitely interested, though I'll need some time to think about a concept (probably a character who uses Sword and Time). I haven't actually played with the Godbound rules before. Also, the only film I've seen from the period you've mentioned is the second Drunken Master movie.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Interested as well. Thinking something along the lines of a Bow/Artifice/X gunslinging inventor.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?
Also very interested in this setting. Currently considering something like a Knowledge/Passion wandering scholar-minstrel. We'll see how that turns out though.

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I managed to think of with a character concept faster than I expected, but I wanted to run a few of the ideas involved by you, since they make certain assumptions about the setting.

My PC's story starts off with his family moving from a small farming town to the nation's capital in search of a better life. He's inspired to learn martial arts by his favorite (black, white and silent) movies, but gets much more than he bargained for after beginning lessons with a neighbor. My character's master turns out to be himself from a different timeline, trying to atone for his sins from that alternate universe. Now, does that work for the tone and setting you're going for (and for that matter, the technology level)?

On an unrelated note, I think this concept might have developed into a wuxia version of Fievel if I didn't stop to think about it. I'd considered giving him a well meaning, but awkward friend. Even a sister who dreams of being a singer.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Sun Hai

Behold! You are in the presence of the infamous Sun Hai! Wanted brigand, pirate scourge, and the most handsome devil in the land! Your valuables, if you please. The coin in your pockets, that marvelous ring - oh, and that jade brooch. Yes, those will make a fine addition to my collection. Now, I could have just taken them, but took pity on your dull, dreary existence and thus deigned you the boon of gazing upon this radiant appearancce. Don't be tempted to have your guards draw their weapons, however. Haven't you heard? All those who wish me harm are inflicted with a terrible curse; and rightly so! Whoever would wish to mar this awe-inspiring visage? Only the lowliest of brutes and the most foul-hearted of men, surely. But you are a person of wealth and taste! You understand that those jewels are much better suited adorning the likes of someone who can match their beauty. Now give them here, and I shan't drown you and your employees in the dark waters. All that heavy silk and troublesome armor makes for an awful weight to carry while swimming.

Facts
- Most Wanted, Never Caught: In the great city of Zhifu, where the street rats number in the hundreds, if not thousands, I would only have been one of those many; were it not for my astounding courage and an uncanny ability to evade the city guard. It wasn't long before everyone in the city knew the name Sun Hai, if only from the wanted posters plastered all around the city. Of course, I only took what I needed, from those who could miss it least. But then, I needed a lot.
- Beautiful Terror of the Seas: Unsatisfied with the riches I could find in the pockets of nobles, I took to the seas! Owing to my inevitable success, I soon became known as the most charming pirate sailing the savage seas! My gorgeous face not only adorned the poster-covered walls of my home city, but those of every harbor and island in the region. I also learned a thing or two about ropes and other ship-related things, which is very useful.
- Former First-Mate: The crew I sailed with on the Qiaolong was the finest one could hope for. But alas, even the vast amounts of wealth found on the junks of fat merchants and stuck-up nobles failed to interest me after too long. I was reluctant to leave them behind, but I was meant for greater things. My captain was an excellent pirate in her own right, anyway. I'm sure she'll find a fine replacement. Not as beautiful as me, but I suppose nobody's perfect.

Gifts
Luck
Night
Sea

Wahad fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 28, 2017

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Sikong Ri

How did the ancients stabilize the dispersion field? The power required would be prohibitive, unless... Of course! They must have utilized Chi flow from the bearer. Hm. Their cultivation techniques have been lost for centuries. Perhaps if I adjust the arrangement of the power cells... No, that won't work. I'll need to find a more efficient method of energy storage.

Ah! I didn't see you there. I've been so engrossed in my latest find. Did you know that the ancients could form armor, greater than any we have produced, out of nothing more than a small box affixed to the belt? I'm close to replicating it, I can feel it! It's amazing what knowledge has been lost with their passing. Even the most learned arcanotechs of the Citadels seem like children when faced with their cast-off remnants. I've learned from the best minds still living, yet they could not sate my curiosity. When the living failed me, it was only natural to turn to the dead. I've been exploring tombs and other caches of ancient technology for a number of years now. Though the defenses are still quite deadly, I have learned to bypass many of them with little effort. Those that I cannot? Well, I find that firearms will solve many problems. Whether severing the flow of energy to a barrier of light or dismantling a mechanical servitor, the proper application of a bullet -- or a number thereof -- is often all that is required.

Facts:
-Scion of the Citadels: I was born to a long line of academics. You have heard of the Citadels, yes? The bastions of knowledge and progress that look down on all from the highest peaks? It is certainly that -- if you have few ambitions. I desire more. I was quick to come to understand that for all their talk of cultivating technology to improve the lives of the surface-dwellers, most only care to develop their reputation amongst our peers. I care not for such matters. The glorious march of progress is the only motivator I require.
-Disciple of the Ancients: Delving into the heart of a ruin takes a particular set of skills. One must avoid or otherwise bypass fearsome defenses while also maintaining their cool at all times. Fear is the greatest enemy when faced with the unknown. The rewards, though? Unimaginable. I have seen vistas that most will never. The hints of the ancient's true glory drive me ever onward. Maybe one day I will find one of their strongholds intact.
-Heretical Arcanotech: I may have ignored a stricture or two about the proper exploration of ancient technology. It seems a bit of an overreaction for the Guild to have struck me from their ranks. Hmph. Small-minded cowards. Those strictures may serve to protect lesser minds from unleashing calamity through ill-advised use, but I have no such need for caution. I can feel the purpose of the forgotten, grasp their workings, and, with time, often adapt them to suit my purposes.

Words:
Artifice
Bow
Sun

Tricky fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 14, 2017

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Interested, probably going to make a one armed martial arts dude.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Amaranth Hayes

"Things are changing for you, too, huh? Fancy that. Just be sure you're not throwin' away good things with the bad as you run to the future. Now, me? I've seen what can happen if you do. Aw, c'mon, don't stress it. Have a beer and let the details sort themselves out!"

Facts
The Horse-Tamer's Daughter - Amaranth grew up in a small town, daughter of a man who caught wild horses and trained them for sale, fearlessly exploring the wilderness herself from a young age.
Animal Odd Jobs a Specialty - Even young Amaranth made a name for herself among the growing middle class of Republic City for her way with animals--from exterminating vermin to convincing recalcitrant dogs to obey. Cheap, fast, and good work for anything of the sort.
Politics is the Continuation of War - Even as he seeks office, the former mercenary Karcsi is tied in with many of his old officers... and they to he.

To expand on the backstory a little further than the facts: Amaranth's father was driven out of business due to lack of demand as the railways/whatever equivalent expand. As he was driven to drink as a rather-desperate unskilled worker in the big city (whatever big city is relevant, name is just a placeholder), Amaranth discovers her animal empathy ability and employs it to smooth out all the little issues people might have with animals in this newly-urban environment. As an adult, though, she gets recruited into a mercenary troop, as someone still naturally suited to dealing with draft animals (and/or cavalry animals), but the commanding officer saw an opportunity to move up to something safer/with more opportunity and disbanded his company to seek political office. The exact story there is left available as a plot hook for the GM/group, including what his political ambitions are, from sympathetic to antagonistic. She's probably very newly Godbound, but could potentially have had it come long enough ago that she was actually a clearly effective front-line officer for Karcsi.

Words
Beasts, Endurance, Sword

Beasts is the only one that's really intimately connected to her character; the other two can be safely swapped out for Command, Fertility, Journeying, Luck, Might, or Passion. Just a question of how she expresses the concept. Amaranth fits as someone trying to help all those around her find their place in a changing world. Just like she does with animals--she's not really a fantasy druid type, she's the one who will miraculously bless your meat animals if your village is hungry. Pet cats, messenger birds... there's still many animals needed in this increasingly urban world, never mind what you'll find if you leave their comfort and look through the wilderness she grew up in.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Fu Qian: Priest, Wizard, Drunkard
“Another drink? Why you’re a credit to your generation. *hic* Now, you wanted to hear about my life? As long as you keep buying, I’m game. I was a foundling raised by a Wandering Priest, and raised in their tradition. And not to *belch* my own horn, but I was a natural. Mastered the Eightfold Styles before I had whiskers. But it was all so frustrating. The Nightfall was expanding in those days, and the secrets to contain it were held by two-score masters constantly at odds. I and a few like-minded disciples set about consolidating the knowledge base of the wandering Priests, and re-conceptualizing it in light of then-modern arcane theory.

*hic* Honestly, we were spinning our wheels and living off of noodles until she walked into our office. She was still just Crown Princess Amajen of Suldara at the time, but she was interested in our theories. She had us train and entire cadre of sacred monks in our modernized anti-Night magics, and gave us near-unlimited funds to combine said magics with the best of modern technologies. The Sutra Knights were able to push back the Nightfall, and the Steel Empress claimed the freed lands.

And we were famous. And quite wealthy. Shi, Lian, and I founded the Void Academy, and there wasn’t a nation that wasn’t interested in sending monks to be trained or paying for our consults. Let me *belch* you, the attention of kings and nobles is one hell of a thing. I thought we were set, but unfortunately Shi thought she deserved a bigger piece of the pie. While I was out glad-handing the elite and updating our training theorems, Shi was building a power base among the other Academy Masters. She deposed me, stating my sympathies for the Coalition risked jeopardizing the Steel Empress’ patronage. Two-faced *hic*!

So now I’m back where I started, walking the edge of Night, making sure the common folk are safe. And if they choose to pay me in booze, well more power to them! Innkeeper! Another bottle!”

Chief Academian Qian, prior to his dismissal from the Void Academy

Facts:
Prodigy Among the Wandering Priests: Raised by the priesthood that patrols the Nightfall and dealing with its dangers (Curse-eater Low magic)
Archmage to Kings and Empresses: After the Steel Empress' victory against the Night, the Void Academy was famous
Former Head of the Void Academy: Headed the Void Academy and its R&D division for decades (Theotechnician low magic) until he was deposed

Words: Sorcery, Fate, Luck
Gifts
Drawing Out the Line[Fate]
Someone Else's Name[Fate]
Read the Signs[Fate]
The World Against You[Luck]
The Subtle Eye of Knowing[Sorcery]
Adept of the Gate(Bright God’s Canticle, Sunder the Lesser Spell, Barred Gates of Forbiddance,
Seal of Regnal Dominion)[Sorcery]

Stats
Strength 8 (-1) 13
Dexterity 10 (0) 11
Constitution 13 (1) 8
Wisdom 14 (1) 7
Intelligence 16 (2) 5
Charisma 13 (1) 8

Saving Throws
Hardiness 14
Evasion 13
Spirit 14

AC 3
HP 9
Attacks
Luck: +3, 1d10+2
Melee: +0, 1d6-1

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 28, 2017

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Jin Lu

Once upon a time, Jin was a family name that could shake the world when used. Now, it means little more than a tale cautioning against letting one’s ambitions run too high. Grandfather was a cunning man, a crafty man, a devious man. But he was not, on the whole, a wise man. In his pursuit of wealth and glory, he blinded himself to the enemies he made, believed that no matter what tricks they tried, he would be able to outsmart them in the end. In a sense, he was right. By the time Grandfather passed away from age, the Jin name was still strong, still powerful. Yet what he had not realized was the hooks that the other nobles had sunk into Father. A hedonist by nature, Father spent freely and lived recklessly, thinking that the fortune he inherited would last forever. And perhaps it might have, if not for the machinations of the Jin family’s many rivals who saw an opportunity in Father’s carelessness. Slowly but surely did they weave a web, capitalizing on every foolish mistake that he made, and gradually drained away our resources while Father sullied our reputation. Mother did her best to salvage what she could, but in the end, our family was brought to ruin.

Life has not been easy since then. As his world crumbled around him, Father disappeared to some end of the earth. His debts have thus fallen upon myself and Mother, and they are hefty debts indeed. Mother does her best in what work she can find, and I have put my prior education to use acting as a tutor of academics and player of strings. Neither earn as much coin as I would prefer, and I am convinced that fear or disdain of associating with our family plays some part in that. Nevertheless, my skill at both has earned me renown, and more importantly has helped us to survive. Slowly but surely, I free myself and Mother from this burden of ours, and someday I may even restore honor to our family name. But for now, seeing the dawn of the next day is all that I can ask for.

Edit: As a side note since I realized it was completely unclear, my original thoughts were that Lu's father married into the family.

Facts

Heir of a Disgraced Line
Impoverished Teacher of Word and Song
In Debt to Several Noble Houses

Words
Knowledge
Passion/Music (Passion I think makes more sense, but Music actually has an attack.)
X (Not sure what I want to do here exactly. Sun, maybe. Edit: Oh, or possibly Time.)

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 15, 2017

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Bai Xianli

What gives someone the right to decide if a man should live, or die?

Power does not. That merely grants the means.

Once, I believed that power granted the right, as well. I simply detested those who had claimed power. It was the wrong people, not the wrong ideas, that were killing my friends. In those days, I joined the Greeting Society. We were ready to do whatever it took.

I thought I was making a difference. If we just replaced the wrong people with the right people, we'd save the world. That's how the stories always tell it. Good sorcerers slay evil sorcerers. The youxia defeat the evil kings. We all believed in that.

Well, that, and rifles. Rifles made us all think we were youxia. The intoxicating feeling of being a hero is really something.

For a while, everything seemed to be going so well.

One day, we were accosted by a group of sorcerers while practicing our aim in the woods. One struck Jin with some sort of flame, and then it was a nightmare of screams, burning trees, and gunfire. I lost my rifle to a man who cut it in half without touching it. Junda gunned him down, but one came at me. I grabbed the dying man's sword and I cut.

They all died. All of them. I had grasped power at last, and all I wanted to do was vomit as the charging man's body feel, bisected, upon me.

I was able to use it to save Jin. Sort of. He stayed alive at my touch, screaming in pain, begging to be let go.

That was when I understood the difference between the means, and the decision.

I left the Greeters. I left the city, for a while. I learned what I could do.

Now only if I could decide what I should do with it.

Words
Sword, Death, Health

Facts
Merchant-Class Pretensions
A Foolish Revolutionary
A Lead Greeting

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

黎 云 Li Yun, the Blinding Blade

“Child, when it comes to sword fighting, the battle is not fought during the clash of blades but in the spaces between, when the fighters plan their next move and try to predict their opponents. It is there that mistakes are made and opportunities are found. It is said that in a duel between masters, the battle is decided in a single stroke. But in truth, the battle had already begun when-”

I don’t get it.

“What?”

Sister Banshee, I don’t understand how this is supposed to make me a better sword fighter.

“I’m not the one making you a better sword fighter. I’m saying if you want to become better at sword fighting, you have to make yourself better. And to get better you need to start thinking and imagining your opponent’s moves instead of just reacting to them and swinging.”

How do I imagine something I can’t see? I don’t know my opponent’s stance or where they are exactly until they start moving.

“Don’t bother with what you can’t do. Imagine the sound of their feet shifting as they adjust their stance. Imagine the smell of their breath as they draw in close, the rhythm of their breathing quickening as they come closer to the precipice of death. Imagine the sensation of the air parting as you swing your sword and they swing theirs. You’ll know plenty, if you pay attention.”
---
Old man, if you’re good enough with this qi stuff to fight with a sword then why don’t you use a gun?

“Because I don’t want to use a gun and I don’t need a gun. You know what Shu Jian style is? Single stroke to cut anything and everything. That includes bullets.”

I don’t believe you.

“Oh yeah? Hold my flask and watch this. Hey rear end in a top hat, 30 chao says I can cut your bullet right in midair!”

Facts
Mysterious Orphan - It was in the middle of a storm that Brother Huang found a baby bundled with a sheathed sword on the steps of his monastery. With no name given Huang decided to call the boy Li Yun. As Yun grew up, two things were quickly evident. One, he was blind. Two, he was going to learn how to use a sword regardless of what anyone told him. Yun would always insist he just happened to be fascinated by the art of sword fighting but Huang privately theorized that he did so to feel closer to his absentee parents. Either way, the boy proved to be surprisingly proficient, compensating for his lack of sight by enhancing his other senses using techniques taught to him by the temple priests.

Sword Scholar - Realizing it would be a waste to make Yun give up on his pursuit of sword mastery, Huang sent him to the Sword monks to receive proper training. There Yun was taught the techniques, history and even the forging of blades by Tiger Banshee, a sword sister (there were rumors among the acolytes that her name is because she was once a fierce mountain bandit). Having learned all he could, Yun was given the title of Sword Scholar at age 23, and then ventured outside the temple to expand his knowledge in the way of sword-fighting. Now in his late 50s, he struggles to make sure what knowledge he has stays alive in these changing times. This has left him somewhat bitter.

The Disciples of Qi Jiguang - A brotherhood of monks dedicated to the spiritual and physical mastery of ancient martial arts. Their temple is where Li Yun grew up and is where many of his old friends still live. People from all walks of life can learn every fighting style under the sun, from Shai Jiao grappling to the Nandao Sword Style to even Classical Yuan Archery. As guns have become more prominent in use, the monastery’s membership has declined.

Possible Words
Sword
Journeying
Knowledge

Stat Attributes and Modifiers
11, 11, 15, 12, 11, 16
Str: 16 +2
Dex: 11 +0
Con: 15 +1
Wis: 11 16 +2 (increased because of knowledge word)
Int: 12 +0
Cha: 11 +0

Word Bonuses
Heroes with the Word of Journeying always know exactly where they are, never lose their way to a known destination, and may treat travel as if it were as restful and nourishing to them as sound sleep and a good meal.

Heroes with the Knowledge Word may set either their Intelligence or Wisdom attribute to 16.

Heroes with the Sword Word treat all their weapon or unarmed attacks as magical, cannot be disarmed, and can summon any melee weapon they’ve ever used immediately to hand as an Instant action.

Full Character Sheet linked here

Rent-a-Bot fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Feb 6, 2017

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
This is a work in progress. I'll try to get it finished over the next couple of days.

Song Jinfa

"Good evening to you, sir, and thank you for your business."

"Seriously, Song?"

"What?"

"What? Our master did not train you as successor so you could sell your skills like a common mercenary."

"Not all of us can be prefects, Feng. The tea shop hasn't been doing as well, lately, and my cousin is just beginning to attract an audience. We've got rent to pay. Also, you're not our master, and I have neither dishonored his name, nor the name of our school."

"No, but I am your senior. And...heh."

"What is it now?"

"You do the job you're hired for, and that'll change. You...do realize you just agreed to a courier job for a member of the Scorpion Gang, right?"

"..."

"Sounds as though you'll be needing my help once again. Not to worry, your senior disciple is at your service!"

"Shut up and pass me that mirror. Close the door, too. I need silence to concentrate, and I don't want anyone watching me work. Gotta find out what's in this drat package."

"Of course! Just be grateful I'm not throwing the both of you in a cell..."

Facts:
Far From Home
A Knack For Trouble
The Two Successors

Words:
Time, Sword, Luck

DeTosh fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 18, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Xia Zhin, Treasure Seeker

"If a stone falls into a stream, which is more disturbed, the stream or the stone?" Zhinü pondered the question, trying to focus away from the world below. "Noise, a splash... the stream, obviously.", she said without really considering.

Her guardian sighed, looming near her. "At first, this is so.", Qīnglóng said. "But then, the stone sinks to the bottom and all the stir is forgotten, and it sinks into the muck. Over time, the stream wears it away so it resembles every other pebble at the bottom." A slight pause. "That is why your parents worry so. They do not want to see a shining star vanish into the muck."

But still, Zhinü could only look down to the world below, the world the gods created. It lived and died and swam with passion. There was nothing between the stars but darkness.

-----

Zhinü held on to Niulang's hands. "Together.", she said, standing on the presipice with him. He nodded, and said, "In this world, we will never be together. But on Earth, we will have our lives to find each other."

But then, the air shifted, azure petals curling through air as Qīnglóng arrived, standing before them in its resplendence. "Fools.", it said, its voice dampening their hope. It looked over its shoulder. "But I will no longer try to stop you. Only in the muck will you ever learn your lesson. Still-" It revealed a shining orb, holding it forth. "- my promise to your parents holds true, Zhinü. Take this. With it, I will be able to guard over you still." She took it, and the clamor rose as heaven's guards approached. And taking Niulang's hand, the two walked out of the sky.

-----

A young woman smiled, displaying her tiles. The man opposite her bristled, standing up and pointing. "Cheat!" She stared up at him, looking surprised. "Me?" Wagging his finger, he said, "Three games in a row, five sets of three?", he shouted. "Only a cheat could get a hands like that!" As his cohorts gathered round, she sighed, "I don't really give out lessons for free, you know, you're going to owe extra for this..."

Less than a minute later, the teahouse lay in shambles. As the owner arose, holding a serving tray to shield herself, Zhin dropped a purse on the table. "Rebuild it better.", she said simply, before walking over towards her rival gambler where he stirred. "Hey!", she said, nudging him with a foot. His eyes squinted at her, his head ringing. "... what?...", he mumbled, as she held out a palm. "I told you. My teaching fee. Pay up!"

Facts

A Fallen Star: Zhin is the earthly reincarnation of the star Zhinü, and though she only glimpses hints of her true nature from time to time in dreams and omens. That being said, supernatural beings may recognize this fact and react to it, and it explains her partially divine nature. To a certain extent, she embodies the Empty Way without ever studying it.

A Temple of Coins: Born to travelling traders, Xia Zhin learned the value of a coin... and how to take care of herself in tough situations. It turned out her grandmother was the former head of the Tànhǎi Shrine, so old enemies and adventures had a tendency to spring up when she least expected it. As the heir to Tànhǎi Shrine Style, she learned its seven secret fists.

Seeking Her Treasure: With her parents retiring to a quiet temple with their wealth, Zhin has struck out to find... well, she feels the need to seek something, but doesn't remember Niulang. Right now, she's a treasure hunter and gambler, and sometimes a righter of wrongs, looking to make enough money to rebuild the Tànhǎi Shrine anew.

Words

Wealth, Sorcery, and Air are the most likely choices, but Luck, Sword, or Passion are also possibilities.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Aynur

The hunter stepped into the tent and saluted. The rain on the canvas filled the silence until the captain put down his pen.

"At ease, corporal. Sit," he said.

"Prefer to stand, sir." Slouch, really, but it ended up the same.

"Very well," said the captain. "Do you know why you've been called here?"

Captain Li was a political officer, so the only reason he wanted to talk to you in private was a purity test. But officers didn't like it when you interrupted their speeches, so she stayed quiet.

He looked at the spread of papers on the field table. "You're from the far west."

"Yes, sir."

"How are you finding the city?"

"Sir?"

He didn't look up, flipping pages.

"How do you like it here, corporal?"

"Best place I've been since I joined up, sir."

The political officer looked up at her, pushing his wire spectacles up his nose. "And what brought you to join the Army, pray tell?"

That merited some thought. She looked up at the ceiling of the tent, dancing under the rain strikes. Scents of mud and burnt paper and the captain's ink threatened to distract her.

"Pay was good," she decided. "And the Army doesn't care about what I am," she added, adjusting her shirt collar beneath her uniform jacket.

Li made a tick mark on one of his papers. "You'll find, corporal, the Army cares very much what you are. You may safely surmise that the Colonel would not deign to entertain your presence were you not, in your own way, exceptional. He has need of utterly loyal, incorruptable, unquestioning soldiers, not fox hunters."

"It's more of a spirit, sir-" she said, then caught his expression. The corporal decided looking at the back wall of the tent would be a good change for a bit.

"The times are such, corporal, that the actions of one individual could make or break our occupation, and if we lose the city, it may spell the end of our mission, the defeat of our entire cause." She could hear the blood surging in his veins. "If you feel you will in any way be unable to fulfil your duty, I suggest you speak up now and save yourself a great deal of suffering later."

"Expect not, sir."

"What?"

She winced, just a little. The nails of the captain's left hand skittered on the tabletop, above where he kept his pistol.

"I won't let you or the Colonel down, sir."

His heart beat a little slower, and his teeth unclenched with a creak. "Good," Li said. "Dismissed."

The corporal tossed off a quick salute and escaped into the rain. She fished a cigarette from her pack, lit it with a snap. She heaved a great sigh, billowing smoke into the downpour.

She held out her unoccupied hand. It was still steady, despite the cold.

Facts
Hick from the Sticks: Weurzhu Province is about as far from here as you can get. It's a lot of unhospitable mountains, cold deserts and scrubland. Its people are intermingled with the bloodlines of countless historical invaders, and are regarded poorly by the more cosmopolitan provinces. Weurzhu culture and religion is strange and unwelcome, by and large.

Best Hunter in the Province: For all its shortcomings in this modern era, Weurzhu Province produces, without question, the best hunters and trackers in civilization. Literal supernatural talent is what's required to be the foremost hunter among that number. These days, Aynur feels a little bad about the hunt, but to throw away the jiuweihu's pelt would be disrespectful.

Member of the 3rd Army's Special Division: The Special Division of the 3rd Army, under Colonel Cho, is tasked with preserving the good order of the military mission and the city against supernatural threats during the current crisis. The hundred eight members of the division are all possessed of extraordinary skill, though not all are supernatural themselves. They command respect and fear from the military and civilian populations alike.

Words
Gun, Beast, probably Alacrity. Shoots good, supernatural senses, whatever else is needed to cover the party's bases. Also Gorbash, I know you've got it bad for gear, so here's a detail sheet for your idle perusal.

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 22, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

I've been a bit under the weather so I'm extending the deadline by 12 hours (10:00 US East, 15:00 GMT on Sunday, January 22).

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Okay, applications are closed. I'm re-reading them now and will have selections pretty soon.

After selections, we'll talk over some character creation points, some plot ideas, etc. That will probably last until next weekend, then we'll get the actual game started.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Thanks to everyone for applying! I know it's a cliche that every selection process is difficult, but I came up with at least different potential party line ups before I found the one that fit the campaign ideas the best. And that's really what it came down to.

Without further ado, your Pantheon:
(grassy gnoll)
(K Prime)
(PoultryGeist)
(Rent-a-Bot)
(Wahad)

I'll post about next steps and start asking some questions to get the lay of the land tomorrow.

In the meantime, here's the unmarked map I'm using for the Realm as a whole.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Alas! Well, kick a hundred butts for me.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Here's a summary post.

Wahad's Sun Hai, beautiful pirate and rogue. Luck, Night and Sea.
PoultryGeist's Fu Qian, Rick Sanchez drunken wizard stripped of his position. Sorcery, Fate and Luck.
K Prime's Bai Xianli, would-be revolutionary and controller of life and death. Sword, Death, Health.
Rent-a-bot's Li Yun,, mendicant master of the sword. Sword, Journeying?, Time?
grassy gnoll's Aynur, not-Uyghur member of the brute squad. Gun, Beast, ???

I usually end up drawing the characters in the games I'm in, so if you feel your ~*true beauty*~ is not fully accurately reflected by the portrait you chose, now would be a good time to mention it.

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 23, 2017

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?

grassy gnoll posted:

PoultryGeist's Fu Qian, Rick Sanchez drunken wizard stripped of his position. Sorcery, Fate and Luck

Well a Rick Sanchez that's not a multiversal psychopath, but he was definately an inspiration. And yeah, if you could do something like the art I used but more dishevelled and brandishing a wine jug, that would be super awesome :)

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

grassy gnoll posted:

I usually end up drawing the characters in the games I'm in, so if you feel your ~*true beauty*~ is not fully accurately reflected by the portrait you chose, now would be a good time to mention it.

I'd appreciate it if you did something like my art but with a more appropriate sword and Yun dressed more in a shaolin monk style robe worn out from travelling if possible. Thanks for offering to do this :)

Rent-a-Bot fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 23, 2017

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

I'm good with Bai's look, though in a stationary shot her cloak would look more ragged, rather than feathered.

I may switch Sword for Command to reduce overlap. Thoughts?

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

I think command could probably work well given your backstory. Plus it adds a sort of nice character conflict to have someone with revolutionary ideals of freedom and independence deal with being capable of overriding people's will with her own.

E: That in mind, anyone have any thoughts on what words I should pick? Aside from sword, I'm feeling pretty flexible on what I can put in.

Rent-a-Bot fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 25, 2017

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

grassy gnoll, thanks for the offering to do art! It's a really great thing to have. Any chance we can get you onto the Discord channel for coordination?

-----------------

GAME PREP STUFF

• Regarding the Sword to Command switch to avoid overlap - it's up to you, but I think there's definitely room for two Godbound with the same Word in a game. One option we could consider is a custom Word for either Bai or Li Yun or both that combines the parts of Sword you want with another Word.

• If anyone is interested in Orders, let me know. Orders come out of the Ancalia sourcebook, represent membership in an organization, and work similarly to Low Magic. If you have a Fact that supports being a current (or former) member of the Order, you get all their abilities. The abilities are usually utilitarian features less powerful than Word passives or Miracles, but they're still quite useful and provide a lot of flavor. Also they provide a baseline for what special powers other members of the organization have access to.

• One of the first things I want to address is stats. You can roll if you'd like (either on Orokos or in Discord so there's a record), or use the standard array. If you decided to roll, you have to stick with the results, with this one caveat: if the total of your modifiers is +2 or less, you can re-roll your lowest stat. Stat-modifying Words takes a lot of pressure off of bad attributes but I would like to keep them from being mandatory.

• Another thing I want to look at it is locations. With the backgrounds in play, everyone potentially has a place to add, but it seems most important to nail down where the Steel Empress/Void Academy and Weurzhu Province are. Both in general terms and in relation to each other. There's no problem if they aren't really connected at this point, but they could be if you want.

• The campaign is going to start in or around Sigonghe, also known as Remembrance City. It's inspired by Republic City from Legend of Korra, though it's got it's own things going on too.

Sigonghe posted:

Sigonghe (formerly Jinmen) used to be the major port of the Great Republic, who's collapse roughly a century ago precipitated the current age of strife and chaos. The city has long been dominated by Oppose Chaos to Restore Order, a political party more commonly known as the Golden Ring for their symbol. In theory the party exists to resurrect the republic; in practice they've become little more than oligarchs happy to earn wealth on the backs of factory workers and trade with various warlords.

Remembrance City is the biggest industrial producer per capita around. Though some of the other states might produce more in total, Remembrance products are nearly always the best quality and most advanced. This technological advantage makes their military strong for its size, but its geared for defense. The city has a relatively little advanced technology from the time of the Celestial Kingdoms.

• The last thing on my mind right now is names: for the realm as a whole, and for the campaign. Any suggestions?

TIMELINE
2000+ BP: The Celestial Era, the age when spirits and gods ruled magnificent Kingdoms in the Realm. Fell apart when Heaven went to war with itself.
100+ BP: The Great Republic collapses, in large part due to the complacency and short-sightedness of its people.

MAP

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Weurzhu Province.

Mostly unremarkable desert and scrub, sparsely populated. Its primary remarkable features are constant cold weather, a desolate landscape that appeals to the melancholic of temperament and other dimwits, and that it's been used as an invasion point for a fair number of foreign powers seeking to get a toe-hold on the continent over the past few thousand years. The dominant religion is a syncretic mixture of those of the invaders and the local animistic beliefs; there is but one god, but many little spirits. The belief system itself is dispersed over so large an area with so few people in it that there isn't one unified name for it.

The people of Weurzhu talk funny and think weird things. They trend towards the short and the slight, probably owing to less opulent diets than They're unfashionable and backwards and poor. If you don't mind their weird habits, they're good hunters and trackers, but the religious ones refuse to eat the meat of any animal without hooves, scales or feathers. It's hard to say what a lot of them do definitively, because there just aren't that many people out there.

Those that come to Remembrance City, however, tend to accumulate rather than assimilate. They are more often in the employ of someone else than setting up shop on their own, whether by choice or (more likely) necessity. Despite some newspapers would have you think, Weurzhuese aren't any more inclined toward criminality than anyone else, but the livelihoods available to them are not often glamorous or always above-board. No high society lady would employ a Weurzhu butler or chamber maid, and would be wildly unlikely to take one as anything but a gardener or stablehand. The police will gladly get a Weurzhu tracker to help them find a criminal, but they're just as likely to lock the tracker up at the end of the chase for loitering as they are to pay them.

Weurzhu life is hard at home, and it's hard in the cities. But you do get to pick your scenery.

--

I am potentially interested in Orders to represent Aynur's ties to the Army. Speaking of which, how do you want to puzzle out what's going on there? I kept things vague on purpose, so what I have so far is: there are at least three real-deal, highly politically-focused armies out there doing something, and the people in charge are probably Not Nice. I could see them being actual remnants of the Republic, flunkies of the Golden Ring, or revolutionaries of their own stripe; I'm pretty open as to the particulars.

I'm going to take the array for my stats - I've done a whole set of demo rolls and they've all worked out to substantially worse on average.

I'm going to put this to the rest of the party - for my third Word, should I take Alacrity, to make Aynur a combat monster, or Deception, to act as a lie detector and do tricky trap type stuff along with the beast and hunting schtick?

RE: discord, I can make the attempt, but my schedule is so up in the air right now I can't promise I'd be on with any regularity. You can always hit me up via PM or shout at me in the thread.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Even if you can't chat, the nice thing about the Discord is that it keeps a record of discussions and rolls.

In regards to the Army, I know PoultryGeist was talking about having the Steel Empress' domain be on that same part of the continent.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Yeah I'm not sure how much of the area it would take up since I'm not sure of the scale, but Suldara and its client kingdoms/city-states would be more towards the southern coast, while the Void Academy and the diminished Nightfall would be closer to the mountains

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

How big is this island, anyway?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

The continent is roughly the size of China, for reference.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Sun Hai's sheet

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Li Yun's sheet

Rent-a-Bot fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 28, 2017

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

It is a sheet.

pre:
Level: 1	EXP: 0
HP: 10/10
AC: 5	

STR	13	+1	8
DEX	16	+2	5
CON	16	+2	5
WIS	14	+1	7
INT	13	+1	8
CHA	10	+0	11

Hard	13	
Eva	13	
Spirit	14	

Effort	2/2
Inf	2/2
Domin	0/0
Wealth	0/0

Words
Gun
Beast

Gifts
Bow
	Omnipresent Reach
	Bar the Red Descent
Beasts
	Eyes of the Cat
	Untamed Will

Deception
	Deceiver's Unblinking Eye
	Veiled Step

Armor: Light armor
Weapons
	Pistol, Shotgun
		Range as far as is visible, +3 to hit, 1d10+2 damage
	Boot knife
		+1 to hit, 1d6+1 damage
	Fray
		1d8

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Updated map, added some more stuff. Let me know if the Void Academy, Daoli Temple, Zhifu, etc are in the right spots.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

Daoli Temple looks to be in the right spot.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Void Academy and such looks good.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Bai Xianli!

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Game thread is live!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Here are some sketches. Sorry it took a million years, but it's been a rough month. On the plus side, I did finish before February is no more!

• Locked thread