Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Does anyone know if the Blade Runner 2049 experience outside of the convention needs a pass to gain entry or is it open to the public? Didn't luck out on snagging a badge this year (after 8 years straight :negative:), SD isn't that far of a drive, thinking about driving out to at least check out the stuff outside the con. The footage coming out of the Blade Runner thing looks really neat.

e: Found an article, no badge required but I'm sure it's a 2 or 3 hour wait.

Wazzit fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

I planted radishes in this special dirt and they came up all weird!
:science: :ughh:
My badge scanned red entering SDCC today. I am positive I scanned out yesterday, and the only other thing I have done today is enter Indigo and have my badge scanned with a portable scanner (which took 7 tries, to which the volunteer confirmed it was bad WiFi on her device, and that others had the same issue with that specific scanner). No place to scan out from that room. Issue may have stemmed from that.

Guy asked for my ID, and asked if I had made sure to scan out yesterday. When I said "yes," he practically rolled his eyes and said "well, I don't know about that..." They then proceeded to card my brother who was at this point standing around waiting for me, despite the fact that he scanned in just fine.

Only problem I've ever had with scanners. I was singing their praise this morning as a matter of fact. The security attitude is a bit frustrating, though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"Excuse me can you give me directions to anything in this place?"

"No but I am the gatekeeper of tap and I choose if you live or die!!!"

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

We've had some red scanner problems with one of our badges and they sorted it out at registration. They said it's just a random tech problem. Sounds like someone was just giving you poo poo.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Wazzit posted:

Does anyone know if the Blade Runner 2049 experience outside of the convention needs a pass to gain entry or is it open to the public? Didn't luck out on snagging a badge this year (after 8 years straight :negative:), SD isn't that far of a drive, thinking about driving out to at least check out the stuff outside the con. The footage coming out of the Blade Runner thing looks really neat.

e: Found an article, no badge required but I'm sure it's a 2 or 3 hour wait.

It's a 2-3 hour wait if you want the VR. If you want the experience it's maybe an hour. I did just the experience part today and it was really awesome. They did an incredible job of getting people who made the place feel alive. You get basically a couple shots of Johnny Walker at the end as well as some udon. They also have a fun vending machine for a really decent shirt.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vintersorg posted:

:3:

I'd cover cost of the thing and shipping to here. Wouldn't be much. PM if interested. Posters don't get dinged for stuff.

Not always. I got hit for $25 on 2 11x17 prints I ordered just recently, but the guy put them flat in a large box instead of in a roller and declared value was probably a good bit more than that one.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

RevKrule posted:

It's a 2-3 hour wait if you want the VR. If you want the experience it's maybe an hour. I did just the experience part today and it was really awesome. They did an incredible job of getting people who made the place feel alive. You get basically a couple shots of Johnny Walker at the end as well as some udon. They also have a fun vending machine for a really decent shirt.

Awesome, thank you for the info!

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

If anyone's doing that super early hall thing tomorrow and happens to be going to UCC, I'd love to get a Kuchi Kopi. I can meet up and pay back cash.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

Some people with Hall H wristbands were not allowed in Hall H because it was full. People believe it to be the case that there were counterfeit bands that were used to get inside and take up those spaces. The people with legit bands left outside are being guaranteed 4-day badges for next year.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

XOIC of Radishes posted:

Some people with Hall H wristbands were not allowed in Hall H because it was full. People believe it to be the case that there were counterfeit bands that were used to get inside and take up those spaces. The people with legit bands left outside are being guaranteed 4-day badges for next year.

Some people waiting before 5am to get into westworld experience and didn't get in

"We spent a ton of money to develop this exhibit with an agency so 10 people who already watch the show can do this because they forgoes a hotel and Slept in the street

You can't see me but I'm jacking an air dick off til it's raw

loving comic con

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alan Smithee posted:

loving comic con
I thought I was upset when WHovians derailed my plans to get in and see the Breaking Bad panel, but gently caress I wasn't waiting since 5 am the previous night and poo poo.

Con to big. Con needs 2 weekends, like Coachella. Conchella, if you will.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Some people waiting before 5am to get into westworld experience and didn't get in

"We spent a ton of money to develop this exhibit with an agency so 10 people who already watch the show can do this because they forgoes a hotel and Slept in the street

You can't see me but I'm jacking an air dick off til it's raw

loving comic con

Westworld was only letting in 120 people a day. It's in-loving-sane how few that is in comparison to how much they hyped it. gently caress HBO for that. I don't give a poo poo how "immersive" it is, Blade Runner was almost as immersive and let in thousands a day.

Anyway, I saw Atomic Blonde tonight and Charlize Theron stopped by to say hi to the group so that was awesome as gently caress. Plus the pre-party had food and strong rear end drinks. I palmed two as they rushed us through line and got another two so that was nifty as gently caress too. lovely con but great con experiences this year so far oddly.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

How was the movie

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

How was the movie

There was a lot more twists and turns and some of the characters I didn't understand their motives (other than "spy" and "general rear end in a top hat") but it was entertaining and there's a lot of rear end kicking. It's less straight forward than John Wick so realize that going in if that's how you were being sold on the film. Also the soundtrack is loving amazing. (We got cassette copies of the soundtrack at the happy hour pre-party which is awesome...except I have no way to play it).

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah I got that tape because I'm a sucker for retrowave

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I also have 6 pairs of Atomic Blonde sunglasses. People kept handing us that poo poo.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

WAIT WAIT WAIT

*train rolls by*

*waits for crosswalk signal*

WAIT WAIT WAIT

*second train rolls by

WAIT WAIT WAIT

*third train rolls by*

:suicide:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Holy poo poo. Standing in line for Starbucks right now feels like I'm waiting in line at the worst Greyhound station ever. I literally just saw someone change their loving baby on the floor and inside gate E and have heard no less than 3 screaming and unattended children. Also the person behind me is giving zero personal space and has run into me with their stroller every time we move.

Also what's up with the awful air-conditioning this year? I thought the new AC was supposed to make this better.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
pro-tip: the line to get onto the northbound Amtrak train was insanely long and the train is standing room only. I brought my bike with me to the con so I could get a couple days of riding in (I was only there to support my wife, who is working at the con.), so I had to book a spot for my bike for the train ride. (Amtrak only allows 6 bikes on the train, and you have to book it in advance, no extra cost). The secret is, they load bikes first! so now I'm sitting in a prime seat with a charger and I waited a total of 0 minutes in line, while nearly everyone else is standing squished in the aisle. bring a crappy kids bike with you next year or something!

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
other secret con tip: go to the Eisner awards on Friday night. I think it's free to sit in the cheap seats, and there isn't a line. You get to see a both a lot of classic comic artists, and new up-and-comers, and if you just go look up all the nominees, you'll be turned on to a lot of great stuff! it's always hosted by some entertaining b-list celebs, too (Thomas Lennon, Phil Lamarr, Danny Pudi, and Greg Grunberg this year)

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This year was pretty ok for me. We didn't do much at all actually in the convention center. I ended up doing a lot more offsites than usual. Had a blast in most of them, some were meh. Between Blade Runner and Atomic Blonde and few others, I got a lot of alcohol. Got third row next to the band for Conan on Thursday and that was fun as all hell (per every year). Like I said before Atomic Blonde was insanely fun and I got too much free poo poo from that (assloads of sunglasses, an amazing cassette of the soundtrack, a blonde wig, all kinds of loaded). There was sooooo much free loving food too, I think I paid for like 2 meals all con. The tech lounge in the Omni was awesome. They had a loving nap room in there that was amazing! It was like the Meatwad dome in the Adult Swim on the Green (holy gently caress have they gotten their money's worth for that) but they were showing all kinds of other stuff including some amazing psychedelics and they had super comfy bean bag chairs. When I was there Friday, the place was dead. I wanted to go back Saturday but I guess word was out and the tech lounge was loving packed (had that happen a lot).

The convention center on the other hand was just bleh and awful this year. Like I said earlier, the air conditioners they put in were loving poo poo. It was hot and muggy and sooooo loving smelly all weekend. It seemed like every other person didn't bathe or put on deodorant in there (lol nerds lol) and people seemed more rude and hostile this year than previous years. I can't count how many times my feet were run over by strollers or meat wagons or just whatever. And it seemed like this year was especially bad for "hey friend, let's chat and catch up and make plans in the middle of the aisle and create a nasty choke point but never quite get what's going on." I just got so fed up with it so fast (lovely AC will do that to you) that for the first time in probably 5+ years, I didn't once head over early to get in with the early group to the hall.

Again, pretty ok con, not great but not as lovely as last year. It was kind of a test run for when my luck runs out and don't get tickets or I finally get so fed up with the game that I stop trying to get tickets. Also it's pretty obvious that as much as places say "must have badge" outside the convention center, they rarely mean it and there's so much confusion that most of the time you can say "that guy over that *points to any loving authoritative looking worker* said I didn't need a badge" and they'll let you in.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I can't believe they ran out of Comic Con bags.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I never bothered to get mine. After they ran it of lanyards on day one I saiid gently caress it all

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This year totally seemed like CCI was just going through the motions and loving up at every turn and just giving a shrug every time it went wrong. Lots of rookie mistakes you'd expect from like Podunk Oklahoma con but not the biggest pop culture event of the year.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

if I've noticed anything it's that Podunk cons like Wondercon or Long Beach CC at least have better space management at the front. That bottleneck between Hall A and the Mariott pathway will never not be a clusterfuck, even If it weren't the largest gathering of nerds

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

The best freebie I got was from the Viceland installation. Went there early Thursday (on my way to the hall after picking up tickets for Conan, we kinda wandered around to the convention center rather than straight down). They were doing this whole things for Diplo and giving out these things that makes amazing airhorn noise. My wife and I can't get enough of this loving thing. They also had lighters, stickers and candy so that was awesome but not as awesome as the air horn sound box.

Second best was Red Wheelbarrow BBQ shirts that were kind of from the Mr Robot installation. You could use 5 e-coins to get one. The Mr Robot installation was awesome even if I didn't get past the job application. To tie into that, is it just me or does it seem like there was a lot more free alcohol this year? Or was I just finding it better this year since I already wasn't spending much time in the CC?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

RevKrule posted:

The best freebie I got was from the Viceland installation. Went there early Thursday (on my way to the hall after picking up tickets for Conan, we kinda wandered around to the convention center rather than straight down). They were doing this whole things for Diplo and giving out these things that makes amazing airhorn noise. My wife and I can't get enough of this loving thing. They also had lighters, stickers and candy so that was awesome but not as awesome as the air horn sound box.

Second best was Red Wheelbarrow BBQ shirts that were kind of from the Mr Robot installation. You could use 5 e-coins to get one. The Mr Robot installation was awesome even if I didn't get past the job application. To tie into that, is it just me or does it seem like there was a lot more free alcohol this year? Or was I just finding it better this year since I already wasn't spending much time in the CC?

do you have a link to the airhorn on youtube maybe? I haven't watched Mr Robot yet so I'm not attached to it, but I would have gotten the drat shirt if if it was at the drat smaller location. Fuckin aint got time for that poo poo, and I never turn down free poo poo

time is money at con and so is hitting someone's bumper

goddamnit

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Yeah, I stumbled upon the Viceland thing and took a ton of lighters and pixie sticks.

All I got from Red Wheelbarrow was water.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

do you have a link to the airhorn on youtube maybe? I haven't watched Mr Robot yet so I'm not attached to it, but I would have gotten the drat shirt if if it was at the drat smaller location. Fuckin aint got time for that poo poo, and I never turn down free poo poo

time is money at con and so is hitting someone's bumper

goddamnit

Here's the airhorn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrfxIp_9KJ0

Dr Tran posted:

All I got from Red Wheelbarrow was water.
If you went around the corner to the San Diego Trading Post and spent 5 of your fake money dollars, you could get a Red Wheelbarrow shirt like the workers had. It has zero brand markings so it's the kind of insider fan shirt I love wearing.

XOIC of Radishes
Oct 1, 2009

http://m.mlb.com/padres/tickets/offers/comiccon?partnerId=sf61847596&sf61847596=1

CCI Email posted:

Hey there Comic-Con Fans!

If you haven't heard, Super Friar is taking over Petco Park on Comic-Con Day! Get your costumes ready for Comic-Con Day on Monday, September 4 when the Padres take on the Cardinals at 1:40 p.m. The day includes a ticket to the Padres game, pre-game costume contest in Park at the Park, and a limited-edition Padres-themed Comic-Con Day t-shirt while supplies last. Tickets are only $25!

All fans are eligible to participate in the pre-game Comic-Con Day costume contest in Park at the Park. There are four costume contest categories: 1) Best/Most Original Sci-Fi, 2) Best/Most Original Fantasy, 3) Best/Most Original Comic Book Character and 4) Best/Most Original Kids Costume. The winner of each category will receive a pair of four-day passes to Comic-Con 2018 in San Diego! Sign up for the costume contest from 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. in Park at the Park on September 4. Only one category entry per person. The contest will begin at 12:00 p.m.

Click here for all the details on Comic-Con Day at Petco Park.

See you at the Ballpark!

Comic-Con International

:shrug:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Every time I get an email from "San Diego Comic-Con DO NOT REPLY" my heart skips a little thinking what fresh disaster is coming that I'm wholly unprepared for. I think I've lost like 2 years in the last month from like the 4 they've sent about mundane poo poo like this.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone else get an email that pro reg is like next week? That's way earlier than any time I remember.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I saw someone on fb post that they got it today. I've also seen posts about next week too though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

So I checked again and she got approved for pro. Not that she bought it yet

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Something some thing Pro Reg right now

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I got an email reminder that trade pro is for later

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Passes secured.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Ugh, after all these years, I still can't believe I haven't come up with a bullshit excuse to try and get pro passes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I heard if you fall off the pro wagon you become like the mean girl who isn't the redahead or Regina George. Like the one who eats alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan

Alan Smithee posted:

I heard if you fall off the pro wagon you become like the mean girl who isn't the redahead or Regina George. Like the one who eats alone

I missed last year because I missed the pro window. I just got it this year. I guess I'll get there and it'll be like everyone graduated but I'm still in school. Actually its like that anyway since I just keep going while others have long ago given up.

• Locked thread