Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

It’s a relatively peaceful early afternoon at the Sixth-Second bank. Outside there’s a lot of cars honking, some people yelling, and a nicely dressed young woman is shouting about how skrulls are everywhere and doesn’t that guy look really suspicious, but that’s all pretty normal. The explosion at the front of the bank is less peaceful, but sadly fairly normal too. The front doors of the bank are blown open, but the damage everywhere else is minimal, no one is too hurt to run away at least. The woman yelling about skrulls seizes the opportunity and jumps up on a bench and begins to point “SEE! I TOLD YOU! THEY ARE COMING FOR US!” she shouts.

Four gliders swoop down from a nearby building where they were concealed, on each of which is an armored figure in a Goblin costume. They are heavily armored and it is impossible to make out anything about who could be underneath the suit. They come down fast, without any cackling or grandstanding that you expect from your typical normal supervillain, scarring and herding the crowd away from the bank.

Inside the bank no one is hurt from the explosions but the panicked crowd inside begins to race for the exit. In the confusion two men and a woman in the bank quickly pull orange goblin masks over their heads and pistols into their hands.

“Everybody on the ground now!” The woman shouts as one of the men begins to demand money from the tellers while the second runs for a back room. “You all know how this works, the bank, and your deposits, are insured. Nobody is leaving this building any poorer than they came in, just some of us are leaving it richer.” She continues “so let’s just get this over with, no muss, no fuss.” The sound of the gliders gets louder at the four goblins outside begin to take up positions covering the front of the bank. The security guards know they’re beat and lay their guns down on the ground as the tellers begin to cooperate.

Doom Pool: 2d6

There are four armored goblins outside the bank on gliders, and three unarmored ones inside. No one’s hurt yet, but there are plenty of civilians around. Are you inside the bank, do you happen to be closeby, or are you going to need a call to get you here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Mister Spider

Part of helping folks who've had some difficulties with the law is getting them used to doing things like a regular person, so today I'm taking Herman to open a bank account. He doesn't have a lot of money, of course, but there's enough that I'd be more comfortable with him not stuffing it under his mattress. (His bed could use some tidying up, too, but that's a discussion for another day.) Naturally, once we get there, I have to visit the men's room, and understandably the boy's not ready to handle this by himself, so he waits for me to get done before we get in line.

I'm just about done when the commotion starts, so I finish up right quick and change -- banks have a way of getting robbed when folks like me are there, so I brought a briefcase with my suit in it. Well, my suit and the alarm, since I'm sure my sweetie and the other two will want to be around for this. It doesn't make any noise itself, but everybody knows to head on over when their beepers start going. Short range is off, since Herman's on site.

The scene, well, it doesn't look too bad. Nobody's hurt yet, and the goblins are acting like professionals. Oh, I'll take a seasoned professional criminal over a desperate amateur any day; panic and firearms are not a good combination.

"Oh, I'm sure you know better than that," I call out reprovingly, "robbing a bank is not a victimless crime. I appreciate you being professional about all this, though -- nobody's been hurt, and that'll be a mark in your favor as far as I'm concerned when all this is over."

I watch them carefully on the approach, since even professionals don't always handle challenges well. Their attention is on me, so I try to keep away from Herman; he should be able to take this opportunity to change. The real trick is going to be, if things head downhill, making sure those folks aren't aiming near any civilians -- I can dodge easily enough, but they can't.

The woman's probably the biggest player of the three, since she's been doing the talking, so I take a good long look at her and choose my next words carefully.

"But this won't be ending with a payout for you. It feels a lot better to earn money than to take it. Promise."

Buddy d8, Veteran Hero d8, Superhuman Senses d10, Psych Master d10, Superhuman Reflexes d8: 2d10+3d8: 5,7,6,3,1. 18 d8 emotional attack against the woman.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.

quote:

Black Cat
Patricia "Patsy" Walker (Secret)

Affiliations: Solo [D10], Buddy [D8], Team [D6]

Distinctions:
It's Patsy!
World-Class Thief
Nothing Bad Ever Happens to Me

Cat Suit:
Enhanced Reflexes: d8; Enhanced Speed: d8; Enhanced Strength: d8;  Leaping: d6;

SFX: Cat Claws. Step back the highest die in your attack action pool to add a d6 to your pool
and step up physical stress inflicted.
SFX: Focus. If your pool includes a Cat Suit power, you may replace two dice of equal
size with one stepped-up die.

Limit: Wardrobe Malfunction - Shutdown Cat Suit to gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool
to recover.

Soul Survivor:
Mystic Senses: d8; Magic Resistance:: d10; Psychic Resistance d8

SFX: Deflect. On a successful reaction against a mystical attack action, inflict stress
with your effect die. Spend 1 PP to step it up.
SFX: Immunity. Spend 1 PP to ignore stress, trauma, or complications from magic and
psychic attacks.

Limit: Sometimes It’s Too Much - Step up emotional stress caused by loss, overwhelming
responsibilities, or bad memories to gain 1 PP.

Specialties:
Acrobatic Expert: d8; Covert Expert: d8; Crime Expert: d8; Psych Expert: d8; Mystic Expert: d8;

Milestones
"Former Child Star"
1 XP when your celebrity status gets you noticed.
3 XP when you engage with your adoring public, even though you really don't want to.
10 XP when you successfully launch a comeback, or intentionally cut yourself off
from the public eye.

"Cat-Themed Kleptomaniac"
1 XP when you discuss some crazy aspect of your life experience as if it is entirely
normal.
3 XP when you use Crime Expert to create an asset or aid an ally during a Transition Scene.
10 XP when you suffer from emotional trauma which causes you to give in to temptation
and return to burglary, or resist the overwhelming urge to steal under such duress. 

"And that was 'Funk me Once, Shame on You' by the late, the great, DJ Double-Wide! I met him once, and for real, he was a big guy. Real nice though!

Up next we've got some Basement Jaxx by request, and remember you can place your requests @2k00, on twitster, facepage, and friendwad! You're listening to Walker Weekdays, station two-kay-zero-zero on Rand Satellite Radio, with me, Patricia Walker!"

Patsy's eyes glossed over slightly as she took a slow inward breath and pressed the button she was contractually obligated to press whenever she said her name on the air.

She snapped out of it when one of the station techs waved at her from the other side of the sound-proof glass.

"What's up?" Patsy asked, stepping out of the studio.

"Your cellphone has been going off for like ten minutes straight. It's driving everyone in the breakroom nuts!" said the mousy tech.

"Oh, sorry. I thought I left it on silen- wait, ten minutes? What ring tone is it?" Patsy asked with a sudden sense of urgency.

"Uh.. it's some old Dazzler song? Why?"

"DOMEAHUGEFAVORANDPLAYREQUESTSFORLIKEANHOUROKAYTHANKS!" Patsy yelled back as she raced down the hall to answer her super important hero pager.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 20, 2017

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
"We did earn this!" The woman shouts angrily, looking at the armed man who stayed with her in the main part of the bank. "We're not taking money from anybody innocent here, the people we are robbing deserve way worse than this." She looks around nervously as she speaks though. The sight of all of the scared people around her seems to further demoralize her before she continues weakly "We're the good guys here, really. You just have to trust us. This will be better for everyone in the long run."

As she talks there is the loud sound of metal on metal from the room where the third of the burglars ran off too, which you see now it the Safe Deposit Box vault. "Got it!" The man shouts before reemerging in the doorway. "What the hell?" He says at the sight of Mister Spider "How did he know we're here! Get LT on the line and tell him we need evac now!"

Buying another d6 for the doom pool with that 1 Mister Spider rolled, take a PP CaptainCarrot. The bank robber rolls 3d6: to defend for a total of 8, giving you an exceptional success and taking d12 emotional stress. Also I assume you are having Herman act next? I think once we have everyone in the area of the bank act once we can have Patsy and whoever else is going to be be backup arrive on scene.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The Shocker

This isn't the first time Herman has found himself sweating through his vibro-shock suit during a bank robbery. It is the first time he isn't one of the ones doing the robbing, though. This thought briefly occurs to Herman as he digs through his messenger bag for his phone and mask and, for the first time today, feels thankful that laundry day forced him to wear his vibro-shock suit under a heavy coat in warm weather. He had been sitting in one of the bank's wait area's armchairs when the front doors exploded. A combination of the shockwave and his own panicked lunging sent both Herman and the chair tumbling, resulting in the impromptu chair-fort he now crouches within.

Pulling his phone out from the bag, Herman frantically dials Patsy's cell as he hears a set of footsteps running against the crowd right outside his faux-leather barrier. "Probably heading for the deposit boxes," he thinks. "Unless they moved them since the last time I tried to hit this place." One hand grasping in his bag for his mask while the other holds the phone to his ear, Herman briefly tries to remember the layout of the bank, but all the noise and shouting makes it impossible for him to recall anything helpful. Suddenly, as he touches what could only be the pillowy soft surface of his mask, he recognizes Ben's voice calling out to one of the robbers. He slips the mask over his head and takes a deep breath, waiting and hoping that maybe Ben will manage to convince everyone to just stop robbing the bank. Then he hears footsteps approaching from the back. Anxiety seizes his heart, and the thought that it really isn't that bad under the chair comes surging through his mind, but Herman steels himself as best he can. He has to do this. Who'll teach him to open a bank account if Ben's disappointed in him?

Flipping over the chair, Herman stands up beside the deposit box robber. Thumbs on the vibro-triggers, he turns to face the man. "You're gonna need more than an evaaaAAAAAA-" The rest of Herman's shout is lost in the noise of the vibro-blast he fires upon unexpectedly finding himself face-to-grin with a Goblin.

Sorry for holding things up with not posting. Going for Physical Stress on Goblin 3, because why take out one enemy when I can try to set two up for an area takedown, and ding my 1XP Fifth Beatle Milestone, maybe? 1d10 Buddy + 1d8 Hard-Luck Hero + 1d8 Vibro Blast + 1d8 Tech Expert (If I'm allowed to use it b/c the attack involves using Herman's own tech): 14 w/ either a d8 or a d10 if I'm allowed to use Tech Expert, which is a nice break from my always tanking my first roll of the game. Calling up the lead Goblin Lady first since she should at least be easier to defend against with that d12 stress. Time to try and weather all these coming attacks!

quote:

The Shocker
Herman Schultz (Secret)

Affiliations
Solo d6, Buddy d10, Team d8

Distinctions
Hard-Luck… Hero?
Riddled With Insecurities
Self-Taught Engineer

Vibro-Shock Gear
Vibro Blast - d8
Shock-Absorbing Suit (Enhanced Durability) - d8
Leaping - d6
SFX: Dampener Override. Step-up one Vibro-Shock Gear power for one action, then take d6 Physical Stress.
SFX: Capacitor Discharge. Spend 1 PP to add a die from the Doom Pool to one or more attack actions. Step the die up +1 for each action after the first; return it to the Doom Pool when finished.
SFX: Widened Blasts. For every additional target of Vibro Blast, add a d6 and keep an additional effect die.
SFX: Support Systems. When attempting to recover Emotional Stress in a transition scene using a Buddy or Team affiliation, step up your effect die.
SFX: Running Away. You may change any Physical Stress received into Emotional Stress for free if your reaction pool used Riddled With Insecurities as a d4.
Limit: Gear. Shutdown a Vibro-Shock Gear power and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. Doom Pool to regain.
Limit: Uncontrollable. Turn any Vibro-Shock Gear power into a complication and gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to regain.

Specialties
Tech Expert - d8
Crime Expert - d8

Milestones
The Fifth Beatle
1 XP when you treat a crazy experience as utterly terrifying, or are distressed by your teammates' relative nonchalance.
3 XP when you discuss your anxiety about working with such impressive, artistic and competent people to a teammate.
10 XP when you either fulfill an artistic pursuit yourself due to the influence of your teammates and accept that you might belong in this group after all, or determine once and for all that you aren't cut out to be an artist like your teammates and resign yourself to being the 'normal' one.

Zen and the Art of Vibro-Shock Repair
1 XP - When you use your Tech Expert specialty to build, modify or repair something other than your own equipment.
3 XP - When you regain a power during the same scene that the Uncontrollable or Gear Limit on Vibro-Shock Gear was activated.
10 XP - When you broaden and improve your technical abilities enough that you improve your Specialty to Master, or give up on self-improvement and resign yourself to only being able to work on your own gear.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 21, 2017

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

chin up everything sucks posted:

Dazzler, aka May Parker (Public)

Affiliations: Solo D8, Buddy D6, Team D10

Distinctions: Glam Granny, Mutant Musician, Rollerskating Relic

Powers:

Sound To Light

Photon Blasts D10, Light Control D10, Force Fields D8, Rollerskate D8, Sonic Resistance D12

SFX: Sound Absorption - On a successful reaction against a sonic attack action, convert your opponent’s effect die into a Sound to Light stunt or step up a Sound to Light power by +1 for your next action. Spend 1 PP to use this stunt if your opponent’s action succeeds.

SFX: Dazzled - Whenever Dazzler makes an attack roll using her Light Control ability, add a d6 to the dice pool and she may choose a second effect die to put a "Blinded by the Light" complication on the same target.

SFX: Holograms - Add a D6 and step up your effect die when using a Sound to Light powerset to create assets or complications.

SFX: Multipower - Use two or more Sound to Light powers in a single dice pool at -1 step for each additional power.

Limit: A World Without Melody - Shutdown Sound to Light if sound in the area is silenced. Step down all Sound to Light powers if Dazzler has a complication on her that is related to silence or quiet. Gain 1 PP.

Limit: Mutant - Earn 1 PP when affected by mutant-specific Milestones and tech.

Limit: Out Of Practice - When making a reaction roll, step down the largest die in the pool. If the reaction fails, Gain 1 PP.

Specialties:

Acrobatic Expert D8, Cosmic Expert D8, Combat Expert D8, Psych Master D10

Milestones

"Seen It All Before"
1 XP when you discuss some crazy aspect of your life experience as if it is entirely
normal.
3 XP when you use Cosmic Expert or Psych Master to create an asset or aid an ally during a
Transition Scene.
10 XP when you either take a drastic life choice in order to make your life more normal
or embrace the many crazy turns

"The Incredible Aunt"
1 XP when you aid another character in combat or in recovering mental or emotional
stress.
3 XP when you discover the source of a teammate’s emotional or mental problems
and attempt to help through a support action.
10 XP when you help teammates recover from a long-term emotional or mental problem
or encourage them to leave the team so they can find the solution to their problem on
their own

Something about hearing her old songs made May just want to spin around and pull off some of her old stage moves. It wasn't nostalgia, it was more like... an old habit that just didn't want to stay gone. Of course, the fact that her hands were full with a sheet of unbaked cookies meant that she couldn't do more than waggle her hips to the beat a little as she bent down to slide the cookie dough into the oven and then started the stovetop timer.

The clock on the wall said that she still had an hour before Ben would be back from helping Herman out, and Peter wasn't going to be by to pick up his care package until the sun was down. That meant that nobody was around to see her kick loose! A wild grin crossed her face as she began to practice a few of her warmup routines, humming along to her song. She couldn't remember the last time that she had heard one of her songs on the radi....o...

The radio was sitting unlit in front of her in the living room, but the song was still playing in her ears. Mays confused glance crosses the room before fixing on her armchair and the phone wedged in the cushion. Both hands go to her face as she remembered why Ben had set up that ringtone for. "Now May, I'm helping out Herman as a favor for some of my old friends in the Agencies. They think an old man like me can help keep the kid on the straight and narrow for a change. But you know how things can flare up, and you have always been my best backup, so if I need help, listen for the song you were playing the first time I rescued you. It's my good luck charm, just like you are."

The cookies were forgotten in the oven as May rushed to change into her old Dazzler costume and put on her old rollerskates, excitement putting color in her cheeks. She hadn't needed to rescue Ben in ages!

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The Goblin is the only person in the room who is more scared then the Shocker at that exact moment. "What the f" Is all he manages to say before the vibro blast hits him square in the stomach slamming him against the wall and to the floor and his gun falls to the ground next to him along with a safe deposit box that has been removed from the wall. He moans and lies still for a moment before reaching for his gun "What the hell is going on here, were you robbing this place too or something?" He asks?
Defending against The Shocker: 6 and a d6 effect die[, you succeed by 7 for an extraordinary success upgrading the stress die to a d12

The shocker's actions help break the female Goblin out of her daze from bein confronted by Spiderman, she slaps her companion on the shoulder and shouts at him "Forget the cash and get the box! We're screwed without it!" She pulls out her gun and fires some shots off in the air about Herman. The gunfire panics the crowd around her and they begin to stream for the exit in a mob of confusion and fear. The other Goblin runs full tilt at Herman, putting his shoulder he attempts to ram into the shocker to knock him down.

The female Goblin (Goblin 1) creates a covering fire asset as a support action for Goblin 2's effort to tackle The Shocker, adding a d6 to his roll and passing initiative to him. "Tackling the Shocker": 10 and a d6 effect die[/b]

The third goblin has recovered enough at this point to aim his gun from a seated position against the wall and he lets off a shot at Mister Spider. The female shouts "No killing!" at him before pressing one hand to her oversized ear "We're going to need backup, everything FUBAR in here."

Firing at Mister Spider: 9 and a d6 effect die.
I'm going to pass the initiative back to Mister Spider now, other heroes can begin to arrive as well, but if you don't have some way of getting into the bank you'll have to contend with the armored goblins on gliders outside.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Black Cat
Affiliation: Solo d10; PP: 1; Condition: Miffed

Probably the only perk of an extended stay in Hell was the development of some magic powers. Being able to change from street clothes to super-fight-gear with a mumbled incantation in mid sprint was surprisingly handy. It probably would have been more handy in her previous line of work, but that was a conversation to have with a nightmare vision of her former self in a haunted dream about her guilt-ridden conscience. For now it was leap across the rooftops time. Both Shocker and Mister Spider paged, and the tracking app they put on her phone placed them at the Sixth-Second Bank, so something big was going down, and she had very little time to get there, lend a hand, and get back to work before management noticed anything was amiss.

With stupendous agility Patsy leapt from ledge to ledge, until eventually spotting some brightly colored rogues on familiar looking flying machines. Green Goblin! Hobgoblin! Multiples of them! Clearly a job for hero types unfolding down there. She'd helped Daredevil expose the first Hob-Gob back in her burglar days, when she was kinda on an altruistic turn and also just kinda trying to get into Daredevil's pants. Then she stole a bunch of gadgets from Jack O'Lantern's gang and sold them to The Rose, and that was pretty much the end of that. Focus!

Swinging off a flagpole on a nearby building, Black Cat landed in a crouch on the roof of a hastily abandoned box truck out in front of the bank.

"HEY GOBLINS!" she called, trying to draw their attention. "I have about zero time for this, and for real, daylight bank robbery is stupid!" With that she lunged at the nearest Goblin Glider, grabbing hold and swinging underneath, using her momentum to launch herself feet first at a second Goblin in an elaborate flying double kick!

Pool is Solo d10, World-Class Thief d8, Leaping d6, Acrobatic Expert 2d6
Elaborate aerial attack!: My result is 12, with a d10 effect and 1 opportunity.
And am I right in assuming outside has a different initiative than inside right now?

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 20, 2017

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Mister Spider

I see the fellow on the ground pull out his gun, and move behind an empty, thinly-padded chair just in time. With luck, the bullet will pass through the cushion and lodge in the frame, and not hit anybody.

Buddy d8, Veteran Hero d8, Enhanced Reflexes d8, Combat d8: 1,1,1,8 8d4, alas

Ah! Nope, no luck there. My right hand is burning.

The conflicted woman calls for backup, and I shake my head ruefully. "Backup won't be enough, miss. Mine will be coming shortly. I won't ask you to risk your life, but if you surrender I'll put in a good word for you. In a couple of years, you could be running your own security company, and not have to worry about police or super-heroes coming for you. Isn't protecting the innocent for an honest paycheck better than taking people's savings at gunpoint?"

Buddy d8, Veteran Hero d8, Superhuman Senses d10, Superior Empathy d10, Psych d8, Goblin 1 Emotional stress d12
11,10,6,8,1,4 21 d8 at her, d10 at goblin 2, spending 1 pp.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband

New York is cold but she likes where she's living, because there's music on Clinton Street all through the evening. Berenice sits on a bench watching a woman screaming about Skrulls. She misses the desert. The chill of the city is damp and crowded and uncomfortable. She wishes the woman was right and there were Skrulls around. Or the Kree. Even the Shi'ar. She felt so low that even a Badoon would be welcome, which shows just how miserable she was. Badoons are terrible, it's a founding principle of their culture. But there wasn't anyone but the press of humanity and one very tired and lonely cosmic force. Then the bank blew up.

Berenice watched with disinterest. In earlier days she'd leap up to the rescue, shining and singing a song of war and justice. But that was long ago, and playing hero was exhausting. You had to be tough and had to be cool, had to keep a straight face while you were playing the fool. Wear a smile while you broke all the rules. And what did you get out of it? There ain't no reason to take a good licking, 'cause the clock on the wall's gonna keep on ticking. Someone else would take care of it, probably. Hopefully. It's not your problem, Berenice Blair. Not any more.

Then she felt the bass drop.

"Herman?" The Shocker had explained vaguely that his devices created dissonant vibrations through the air, which meant then that they were instruments. This was simply logic, although he had demurred at the idea. If he was in the bank, that was a different story. He was friends with Patsy, of a sort. It wasn't a faceless event anymore. Berenice stood up and took in the scene. No way to get into the bank until the four on the aircraft were taken care of....

Patsy dropped in. That tore it. Patsy was here and it was time to get to work. Tired was for later. Sad was for later. Heroism is now.

The sword Benitar comes to her hand. Her costume coalesces out of light and sound and inspiration. The Starband leaps into the fray, following up the Bodacious Black Cat like a practiced pair. They had become so in a place much worse than this and those instincts would likely never die. Throwing up The Benitar at inhuman speed, the Starband sends a beam of light lancing at the Goblin whose glider was just moments ago Black Cat's swingpoint!

Hitting a Goblin with Buddy d10, Truely Outrageous d8, Light Control d10, Speed d8, Combat d8. http://orokos.com/roll/477675: 2#1d10 1 3 3#1d8 7 2 6
13 with a d10 stress and a d8 "Blinded by the Light" complication, and one opportunity.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Doom Pool: 2d10, 1d6

The goblin is barely able to turn his head before Patsy''s flying kick knocks into him, knocking him off balance and sending him spinning from the impact before he can regain control. The Goblin remains locked in the glider despite losing balance though, the glider and his boots must have some sort of locking mechanism so he stays on his glider and off the ground.

Defending against Patsy:1, 2, 4, 4 for 8 and a d6 effect die[. You can also take a PP and I'll add a d6 to the die pool./i]

Unfortunately for the Goblin that just means he makes a nice target for Starband. The blast from Benitar hits the goblin square in his face just when he has managed to get his balance once knocking him upside down hanging from the glider which stops in midair as it's automatic systems kick in stopping him from crashing into any of the nearby buildings.

Defending against Starband: 1, 1, 2, 8 for 10 and a d6 effect die Stepping up the d10 effect die to a d12. You can take a PP as well and I'm stepping up one of the d10's in the doom pool to a d12.

Inside the bank everyone seems shocked when the gunshot hits the cushion that Mister Spider is holding, even the Goblin on the ground seems monetarily stunned that it actually worked and all of the robbers watch and wait as he speaks. "Screw this!" The female goblin says another moment "He's right, this isn't what I signed up for, I'm getting out of here!" She makes a break for the wide open doors without waiting to see if anyone has followed her. The Goblin who just tackled the shocker hesitates and watches her go, for a second it seems like he might join her. "Screw the money, let's just get the box and get out of here!" He says, more to himself then his remaining companion.

[i]Goblin 1 defending against emotional attack:12 and a d6 effect die takes her out, Goblin 2 defends against emotional attack: 6, 6, and a 5 for a 12 and a d6 effect die. Mister Spider's emotional attack is an exceptional attack and upgrades the die to a d10

Doom Pool: 1d12, 1d10, 2d6

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The Shocker

To an onlooker, Herman's dive away from the Goblin rushing him might have appeared a well-timed dodge, smoothly keeping the Shocker just out of his enemy's reach. Someone more familiar with fighting, or with Herman, however, might notice certain details: that his leap began as soon as the lead Goblin fired her first shot. That he landed in a tumble more indicative of panicked fear than dexterity. That Herman never even looked at the fellow coming after him, and might very well have not even noticed him

Defending with Buddy d10 + Riddled With Insecurities d4 (+1 PP) + Enhanced Durability d8 Bullets Are Very Scary Things: 12 with a d4!

Miraculously, Herman is carried to safety by his lunge, rather than additional bruising, and even the voices in his head have the decency to allow him a moment of relief when all the shooting stops before reminding him that his cowardice could've gotten civilians hurt in the crossfire. The ringing in his ears and the worst of the self-loathing both clear out of his head just in time for Herman to notice the second Goblin rushing towards his still-seated comrade, presumably to try and retrieve the deposit box they're all so interested in before clearing out himself. Some things never change: It's every hench for himself when things go pear-shaped. "Probably my only shot to wrap this up quickly," Herman thinks. "Catch 'em both with one shot. And that dive probably juiced up the Faraday capacitors, too. When did I become confident? Just as long as I don't screw it up and break everything and probably get us all killed. Oh, there it is." Quickly twisting the power dials on his gauntlets to 'extra', Herman gives the second Goblin just enough time to reach his seated compatriot before firing an arm's worth of concentrated vibration at each of them.

Attacking Goblin 2 and 3 with Buddy d10 + Hard-Luck Hero d8 + Vibro-Blast d8 + Tech Expert d8 + Goblin 3's d12 Physical Stress + Widened Blasts SFX d6 + (-1PP) Capacitor Discharge SFX d12 (Thanks Doom Pool! I'll bring it back just the way I found it.) Dropping the Bass: 16 with a separate d12 effect die for both. I'm pretty sure this can't kill them?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Unless anyone has any objections, I think Dazzler will show up after this fight or near the end. Mr Spider getting hurt obviously shows her that the town has gone to hell without her helping out! Time to get back into the hero business to clean up the streets again.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

The Shocker's blast catches both Goblins in it's impact. The goblin who the shocker shot earlier is just starting to stand back up after shooting at Mr. Spider when the Shocker's blast hits him again, knocking him back into the wall where he slowly slides down into an unconscious heap on the floor. He won't be any more trouble until the police get here. Defending against The Shocker steps up the Goblin's physical stress die past d12 and he is taken out.

The Goblin who tackled the shocker earlier is hit in the same blast but due to superior training or just witnessing your earlier attack manages to roll with the blast. He hits the ground moving forward on his knees and his side before hitting the wall with his legs, absorbing some of the impact and keeping him conscious, but hurt. He grabs the safe deposit box and starts to run for the door, favoring his right leg as he runs but still moving fast as he shouts into his radio "Someone get in here and grab the box! We gotta get this back to base!" Defending against The Shocker: 9 and a d6 effect die giving him d12 physical stress to go along with his emotional stress.

Outside the three remaining goblins on the gliders swing around to deal with the two heroes. The goblin in the center gives some quick hand signals to the other two and they nod before breaking off in thee different directions. The goblin on the left breaks quickly, stopping their forward momentum and thrusting upwards, taking to the sky and giving the Goblin a good view of the situation down below on the ground. The Goblin in the middle who gave the hand signals heads straight for the Starband at the gliders top speed. Swooping low the goblin tosses a green goblin bomb in front of Starband which rolls forward straight at her.

Goblin 2 goes up in the air establishing a tactical view of the situation and creating a d8 asset for Goblin 1 to attack Starband. Throwing a goblin bomb: 2d8+2d6 for 12 and a d8 effect die.

The goblin to the right meanwhile swings around and goes after Black Cat. This goblin moves at a slower speed and without any evasive maneuvers. The goblin holds out one arm like a child aiming a pretend gun and uses their second hand to steady it The mixture of a childlike gesture done with the seriousness of a sharpshooter would look ridiculous if the Goblin didn't have a finger blaster to shoot you with. The crack of the electric blast rings out as the goblin fires at Black Cat.

Shooting at Black Cat: 1d8+2d6 for a 12 and a d6 effect die.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Black Cat
Affiliation: Solo d10; PP: 2; Condition: Miffed

Patsy turned her attention as the Benitar blasted her target into submission. "Well, I was going to make fools of you all by myself, but say hello to the Spectacular Starband." She said.

As the Goblin gang scrambled into counter-action she feinted and, assisted by her suit's cyber-mystic link, dodged the lightning blast with near-perfect timing...

My pool is Solo d10, World-Class Thief d8, Reflexes d8, Acrobatic Expert d8
Dodging a goblin gauntlet gun: Result of 13, with d8 effect, and 1 opportunity.

...while weaving among the abandoned vehicles to position herself for another strike. This time a flash-kick to the wing of the glider of her assailant.

Assuming the goblins have a "flight" power, I'd like to target this one for elimination. Every thief has an escape plan, and these chumps brought flying machines for a reason!
Pool is Solo d10, World-Class Thief d8, Enhanced Strength d8, Acrobatic Expert 2d6, and I'm invoking Claws to add d6 and step up my effect, which brings solo down one step.
Grounding a Goblin Glider: Spending a PP to buy an extra result die, for a 16, with d8 effect, stepped up to d10 by Cat Claws. One opportunity.

PP: 1
Tag Starband

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Patsy's kick strikes the glider in a weak spot damaging the wing and knocking off a piece of metal that ends up in the gliders intake valve with a horrible shriek. The glider immediately loses velocity as it's engines give out. Despite the name, these things aren't great at gliding when they don't have power, and the goblin steers it into a tree to break it's fall. Branches snap and leaves are everywhere as the glider gets caught and the goblin hits a few branches on the way down before landing on the ground with a thud. The armor must have helped out with the impact though because he's up again after just a few seconds. The goblin is not out of the fight yet, but he's also not getting off the ground anytime soon.

You can take a PP and I'll upgrade add a d8 to the doom pool Defending against Black Cat: 6 and a d8 effect die and an opportunity[/b]

Doom Pool: 1d12, 1d10, 1d8, 2d6

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Mister Spider

I shake my head ruefully, looking at the limping goon.

"You're not going anywhere, young man. You're going to need medical care for that leg, and that doesn't tend to be very high-quality for people who've been forcibly arrested. Now, if you give yourself up, I can help make sure that someone gets here promptly."

I stride forward briskly, as the Goblin attempts to leave.

Buddy d8, Veteran Hero d8, Superhuman Senses d10, Superior Empathy d10, Psych d8, Goblin 3 Emotional stress d12: 1d12+2d10+3d87,1,4,1,8,3. 15 d10, I guess.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband

"Insipid." Berenice puts her foot atop the obvious bomb. It wasn't a threat to her, certainly, but she should protect anyone stupid enough to still be in range. The force of the Starband shimmered in the light as it surrounded her.

Going with 1d10 Buddy, 1d10 Durability, 1d8 Force Fields, 1d8 Combat Expertise, and 1d4 Harrowed by HUBRIS because Berenice is not giving this anything approaching her actual effort. http://orokos.com/roll/482413: 1d4 3 2#1d10 3 1 2#1d8 3 6
MY HUBRIS indeed. Making this a 9 with a d10 effect and an opportunity. So that reduces the bomb's effect (which I assume is phys stress) to a d6.

Berenice was blown back as the powerful explosive went off. Perhaps if she had taken this seriously, perhaps if she could take anything seriously this wouldn't even be happening but it was and she felt her head crunching into asphalt as she landed. Well, feeling pain meant feeling. And it was pretty hard to feel anything these days. Pain was giving way to another feeling: anger. Play into it, Starband, and rally. That chunk of road would do. Berenice flowed to her feet, following through the motion to huck a rather large hunk of rubble at the offending goblin. It wasn't the most effective attack, but she wasn't thinking about effective. She wasn't yelling anything effective either, but "GOBLIN PUNKS gently caress OFF" sounded good at the moment

Truly Outrageous 1d8, Buddy 1d10, Strength 1d10 and Acrobatic Expert 1d8.
http://orokos.com/roll/482417: 2#1d8 7 5 2#1d10 2 9
So a 16 with a d10 effect. Wham bam hit by a rock.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Doom Pool: 1d12, 1d10, 1d8, 2d6

The Goblin gradually slows down as he approaches the door and hears the sounds of explosions outside before he slows to a stop and drops to his knees. "This wasn't supposed to happen. Freaking Spider-Man wasn't supposed to show up, or....that guy? The Big Man said he had it all planned out." He raises up his hands and set them on top of his head. A few of the bystanders who haven't fled yet begin to clap which gradually trails off.

Defending: 3d6 11 and a d6, Mister Spider can get a PP as I use the two opportunities to upgrade one of the d6's into a d10.

Outside the Goblin swerves in midair, desperately trying to dodge the sudden rock that the Starband has launched into the air but without enough time to dodge the rock collides with a sickening thud. The Goblin's boots remained sealed into the glider, but the impact knocks the Goblin off balance, attempting to stabilize the Goblin is forced to incline the Glider, gaining altitude and taking him away from the fight. The remaining Goblin swoops down towards their de-glidered Companion and grabs for him, evidently finding their odds wanting and trying to escape while they can.

Starband can get a PP as I'll use the opportunity to add another d6 to the Doom Pool. Defending: 2d8+1d6 for a 1, 3 and a 6 taking the D10 physical stress die. Seeing the odds rapidly turning against them the three remaining Goblins are trying to escape, the heroes can pursue or let them go.

Doom Pool: 1d12, 2d10, 1d8, 2d6

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Black Cat
Affiliation: Solo d10; PP: 3; Condition: Mad as Heck

"Oh no you don't!" Black Cat shouts as she darts after the Goblin evac operation. Leaping from the roof of a car, claws outstretched, Black Cat aimed to clip this glider's wings as well, and if she timed it right, deliver a kick across the face of the pedestrian goblin while she was at it.

First, I'd like to buy the goblin gang's opportunity to create a stepped-up stunt "Surgical Claw Slash" representing Black Cat's new-found knowledge of where to hit these things to disable them. I'm attacking the Flight power of the glider, and if I roll well enough, I'll try and add some stepped-up physical stress to the grounded goblin.

My pool is Solo d8 (stepped down by claws), Nothing Bad Ever Happens to Me d8, Enhanced Strength d8, Acrobatic Expert 2d6, Claws d6, and "Surgical Claw Slash" stunt d10
Grounding a second goblin, plus a kick in the face for measure: Okay, complicated action. Result is 12, with a d10 effect against the Flight power, and I'm buying an extra d8 to inflict physical damage to the goblin on foot. My Claws SFX steps up physical stress, but I don't know if that applies to both targets here. If not, apply it to the ground goblin. I also rolled one opportunity.

Remaining PP: 1

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The Shocker
Affiliation: Buddy d10, PP: 0, I think? Condition: Unharmed, Somehow

Herman jogs up behind the final goblin as he finishes kneeling and, out of breath, immediately doubles over, huffing and puffing. This had all gone better than a surprise bank robbery might be expected to, but even so Herman's heart was jack-hammering in his chest, from residual panic as much as any real exertion. As he sinks the rest of the way to the floor, he notices the deposit box resting nearby and, with a loud grunt of exertion, rocks himself forward to pull it over next to him. "Lotta- lotta difficulty you- you went to for th- this, huh," he manages to force out between breaths. "Wh- oh god what's even worth this much trouble?"

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Doom Pool: 1d12, 2d10, 1d8, 2d6

Black Cat's claws catch the edge of gliders wings as she swings around to kick a Goblin in the face. Her impact on the glider throws both Goblin's off balance and the one in control loses his grip on the companion Goblin who is too busy getting kicked in the face to otherwise stay on. Luckily the fall to the ground isn't that far and he is still moving a little bit on the ground so his neck is probably not broken or anything. Once on the Glider Black Cat is able to dig her claws into the glider, ripping and tearing that advanced electronics inside. The Glider lets off a terrible screech and the engines cut out as the glider plunges to the ground below.

Goblin defending: 2d8+1d6 2, 8, and 1 so cannot defend. Blackcat can gain a PP as I'll buy another d6 for the Doom Pool with the opportunity you rolled. Both Goblins are taken out

Inside the bank the goblin looks over at Herman for a moment before replying. "Don't really know to be honest. The Big Man says it's the key to something big. Not a literal one though, I asked about that. He said it would let us get what we deserve from the big banks after they screwed everyone over. Help make everything right, you know?" The box itself is still locked, but a vibroblast or some super strength could get it opened without any problem.

Doom Pool: 1d12, 2d10, 1d8, 3d6

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Black Cat
Affiliation: Solo d10; PP: 2; Condition: Riding the Adrenaline.

"Yeah! Mess with the Cat, you get the claws!" She says, landing in what she envisioned as a menacing pose. "Who's next?"

I'll take that pp, happily.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

The Final Remaining Gobln has departed in the opposite direction from two that the Black Cat has taken care of and manages to get behind a building before any of you are able to stop him. Still, five out of six isn't bad and at least you stopped them from whatever they trying to steal.

Now that the explosions have stopped you can hear the sound of police sirens, the cops will be here soon, whether you want to be when they come or not is up to you. You all did just save the day after all, but you don't all have the best record with the law if you want to make yourself scarce.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Mister Spider

I walk through the bank, directing my words mostly at the folks sitting there, mostly still a bit shell-shocked.

"Thank you all for remaining calm during that mess. It made my job a lot easier. I'm sure the officers on their way will appreciate it just as much as I did if you all can keep that going while they do the clean-up."

Then I turn to the goblins.

"I meant what I said: you messed up coming here, but you did the right thing when you stopped, and I'll make sure the police are aware that you made a choice."

Lastly, I make my way over to Herman.

"I think you should stick around with me. The authorities need to get used to the idea of you standing with them, and it's best to do that as soon as possible so nobody has a chance to misunderstand anything."

I take one last look at the scene before the sirens show. Nobody killed, nobody hurt too much, several misguided folks open to another path, scheme foiled. Pretty darned successful, I think.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
The Shocker

'Make everything right'? What could that even be? Herman feels curiosity welling up in his gut, tempered with a mild dose of fear, as he looks at the deposit box. But, if they're right... It couldn't hurt just to see, could it? And it's not like getting it open would be hard; breaking into things was the whole point of the gauntlets in the first place, and a tiny little deposit box would be child's play. But would that be heroic? Surely no one would mind just taking a peek, would they? After all, Herman had just saved the thing; didn't he deserve to know what it was? It-

"Huh?" Herman turns his head around as Ben's voice cuts through his thoughts, though the actual words only register a moment later. "Oh, uh, yeah," he replies, as he notices his raised right arm, poised to blast the deposit box, and hastily lowers it to his lap. "Yeah, that's, uh, that's probably a good idea." Lifting himself to his feet, Herman looks around at the bank. "This went... pretty well? Do things normally go this well?" Glancing down, he notices himself still holding the deposit box. "Oh, ah, you might want this," he adds, holding it out to Ben. "Might not help, y'know, me holding this, when the cops show up and all."

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Mister Spider

Hermann holds out the box, and I frown thoughtfully. He's definitely right to think the box shouldn't stay in his custody, but I'm not sure that it really belongs with me either. On the one hand, it should maybe go back to where it was in the bank, but presumably the boys in blue are going to want to examine any evidence left on it.

"Yes, you're spot on there," I answer belatedly, as his stance becomes awkward. "Probably we should hand this to the bank security, while we wait for the police to come and start making things all official."

I think back on his first question. Do things normally go this well? I remember . . . screams of pain, hospital beds, people lying very still, cemeteries, cruelly triumphant expressions, fire-forged chains being snapped . . .

"No," I say heavily. "They don't. I'm afraid that's one thing you will have to get used to -- the good guys don't generally lose the whole fight against evil, in the long run, but there is sacrifice. If you're lucky, the biggest thing you'll lose is the man you used to be. But life is not easy even for people with the most ordinary days, and we are not part of that group."

I place a hand on his shoulder, as a counterweight to all the burden I'm easing onto his conscience.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Two police officers enter the bank with their guns drawn and voices loud until they see Mister Spider standing there. "Oh" The lead officer says after a moments though as he puts his gun down. "I guess you guys got this one?" He walks over and pulls out his handcuffs to begin securing the Goblins on scene. "What the hell happened here? And since when are there this many Hobtrolls in the city?" The younger officer has pulled out his cellphone at this point, and is edging closer to Mister Spider to try to take a selfie. No one really seems to be paying attention to The Shocker yet, but that might be for the best.

Outside the crowd reemerges from the various places they were hiding. They're New Yorkers, and this isn't the first time their day was interrupted by an act of super-villainy. People either steer clear of the Goblin's on the ground or stop to gawk and take a quick picture, but no one really seems worried anymore. The woman who was yelling about Skrulls doesn't go back to her perch to harangue the crowd again though. Instead she pulls out a cellphone and begins a hushed and hurried conversation with someone on the other end, ignoring both the Goblin's and the police her former fury and exuberance all gone without a trace.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Black Cat

Now for the part she hated: the crowd of gawkers.

"Yeah, hey, hi! Saved the day! Super hero! No pictures, please! Huh? Oh... uh, sure, I can sign that, I guess... you're not just gonna sell this online, are you?" In the middle of it all, she found herself gazing over at Starband, hoping for some kind of rescue, but Berenice seemed to be in the middle of her own mob, facing it with a dead to the world kind of thousand yard stare in the direction that last goblin flew off in. Hopefully that one wouldn't be a problem later. Whatever.

She was pretty relived when the cops finally arrived, if only so she could politely break out of the crowd with a "Well hey, that was fun, but it's police business now! Crime scene! Sorry! No pictures!"

Wading through to speak to the officers, Patsy pointed out the baddies (who were now having meme-worthy candid photos taken by the crowd) and gave a brief once over of the action, before catching site of the clock over the bank's entryway, and remembering her actual job. "So anyway, I got... stuff to do... so uh... talk to Mr. Spider, I guess? He's inside. I think. I didn't make it that far. Hey, Starband, you got this?"

OOC: Last I knew, Mr. Maltose was recovering from a hospital stay, so it may be wise to move on for a bit. I don't mean to ignore the Skrull lady, honest! I just don't actually have the super-hearing I thought I did on this data file. It's mystical senses!

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Mister Spider

"We took care of it at the time, Sergeant, but I'm glad you're here anyway," I reply with a smile, standing up straight for the young man. "A few of these fellows gave themselves up after I talked to them, which I presume you'll be taking into account for their treatment over the next few days." It was not a question.

I hold the safety deposit box out in his direction. "They were after this. Not sure what's in it, but I'm guessing something pretty important to try to rob the place in broad daylight."

Are the ladies coming inside soon?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Inside the bank the police Sergeant solemnly accepts the box before taking a look at it. "A safe deposit box eh? Must be something valuable, we'll check with the bank and find out who this belongs too. They should know why a bunch of wannabee goblins would want it so bad. Mighty suspicious you ask me, having a box like this. Imagine we'll have some questions for whoever owns it."
There is a flash from the other police officers cellphone camera and he frantically begins to mess with the settings "Sorry sir, sirs, I thought that was off. New MePhone you know? Sorry."
"Right" The Seargent says when he is satisfied that the younger officer feels suitably awkward with the silence. "Like I said we'll figure out who this belongs too. Doubt we'll need a superhero to bust him, but glad to know we have someone we can count on." With that he nods to Mister Spider and prepares to leave, he still hasn't even acknowledged the Shocker standing nearby. When Blackcat comes in he gives her a wary look and likewise very deliberately doesn't thank her, though the younger officer asks her for a quick selfie before he leaves.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Mister Spider

I sigh inwardly as he passes Hermann and Patsy. Well, I said that the cops needed to get used to them, and I meant it.

"These two were very helpful to me, Sergeant. You should know that Dazzler and I are working with a few people somewhat new to the super-hero community. The next time you see one of them, they might not be with me, but my trust will be with them."

His face stiffens, and I press further. "If you like, I can officially take responsibility for their actions until such time as they prove themselves to you folks. I'm hoping there won't be any misunderstandings encountering one of my team on the scene in the future."

Are Starband and Dazzler going to enter the scene soon?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband

"Slow again." Berenice tries to shake off the lead in her limbs as she watches the last Goblin disappear but it's no use. They're gone. The crowd that forms is....irritating. She tries to ignore them, but it's no use. There's too many. Patsy's voice cuts off her bile before she can spit it. "I've got things over here, Black Cat." The police don't seem interested in speaking to her either, so she makes her way past the defeated foes, careful not to photobomb the various gawkers photos. The woman who was yelling about Skrulls catches her eye almost by chance. If she hadn't been so emotive before, the contrast wouldn't have caused her to stand out so plainly. The Starband approaches without any haste. "Excuse me, miss? I'd like to talk to you about those Skrulls..." Her voice is carefully measured, laodicean just before the point of abject apathy.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

"Uh.. no photos please... officer?" Awkward. In the past, cops would have killed to get a picture of the Black Cat by any means they could manage. Now she was in a position to politely decline them the chance. C'est la vie! She cleared that from thought for the moment as she stopped to check in with the S Men.

"So Starband and I rounded up three outside. One kinda escaped. What was the deal here? And do you need me to stick around for long?" she placed her hand beside her mouth conspiratorially, and added in a whisper "Because I've got to get back to the day job soonish."

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The seargent stops and thinks before answering Mister. Spider. "No that won't be necessary sir I'm sure. You of all people have earned plenty of trust." He gives Black Cat and The Shocker what he clearly thinks is his sternest look before adding in "I just hope no one ever betrays the trust you put in them." He then proceeds to escort one of the handcuffed Goblins outside, the younger officer sheepishly follows giving one last look at Black Cat as he puts away his phone.

Outside the woman whirls around as Berenice mentions skrulls, putting her phone away and pulling a pamphlet out of her bag. "They're everywhere you know! All around us throughout history. The Pharoh as a skrull for instance, when he enslaved the Hebrews. There is a lot of evidence that Moses might be a time traveling Mister Fantastic too, or maybe Dr. Doom. Archeologists aren't sure yet. I have a list of 34 senators that I have strong evidence are either skrulls or their willing agents, though I can't publish that because they would kill me, though of course all of my research is set up with a dead woman's switch so if I am killed it will all be made public, that's the only reason they haven't killed me yet. All though they'll probably just replace me when they do kill me." Her demeanor has switched back to her previous ranting, without a trace of the purposeful woman who was just there a second ago.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Starband

Berenice blinked. No one was actually that stupid, right? The way that she swung back into that rant was suspect as well. "That's wrong." There's color in her voice, now. Berenice cares about this. "First, it's a matter of public record that the Pharoah you're talking about, Rama-Tut, was actually the time traveling Kang The Conqueror, who was stopped by the Avengers after between 10 to 15 years of rule. Skrulls didn't even have access to Earth until the second century BC, for that matter. It wasn't until the treaty of Ka'van Tel that the Septeris Imperium dissolved, allowing the people of Skrullos to expand in this direction. That's galactic history 101. And only 34 senators makes no sense!" Starband is getting louder now, energetic. "Five at most! 34 agents in a single branch of a single government that doesn't even control a whole planet? You may as well spit in the face of a skrull, you'd offend them less! You have to be lying because no one could actually believe this nonsense!"

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Shocker

Breaking out of his police-induced anxiety, Herman manages to call out "Th- thank you, officers!" after the cops before immediately regretting it. Probably would've been better to just be silent than look like such an idi- Wait, didn't Patsy ask him something? Jeez, priorities, Herman...

"We, uh, don't really know what was happening. Ben and I were here, and then suddenly there were Hobgoblins. They were after a deposit box, I guess, but who knows what's in it- I mean, we stopped them getting it, though, so that's good, I guess..." Herman trails off, rubbing his arm where he landed on it earlier during his dive. Suddenly, he pipes up again, snapping his head back up to look at Cat and Mister Spider. "Oh! The Big Man! One of the goblins mentioned The Big Man! I mean, I though Foswell was dead, but, y'know, maybe he's not? Everyone thought I was dead once, but, well, I wasn't, so it could happen. Or maybe it's someone else?" Herman's head droops slightly, and he gives a small shrug. "I hadn't heard anything about a new Big Man when I was, uh, still working, but, well... That's not too surprising, I guess."

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
[Outside
The woman states at Starbrand for a moment before going into her pocket "So you're one of those then! Don't worry I have a pamphlet here that should answer all of your questions!" She pulls out a pack of gum with a flourish instead of a pamphlet and pulls two pieces out, popping one in her mouth before offering one to Berenice which she chews enthusiastically. "Can't be too careful you never know who's listening. Let alone all the mind readers out there! You see it's all a matter of perspective and time travel, once caterpillar figure in the effects of table you can adjust for temporal anomalies binder then dictionary splendid jeep stocking goose." She smiles at you smugly "Dwarf gas station?

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

Black Cat
Affiliation: Team d6; PP: 2; Condition: Fine.

"Hoo boy, yeah, don't even get me started on being dead! For one thing, the Devil has really questionable taste in music..." She was about to get started on being dead, before deciding this wasn't the time or place.

"So, Big Man? Kind of a cornball name. But if he's got all this surplus Goblin gear, he must have a source..."

Flipping through her mental rolodex of costumed criminal arms dealers, the daring Black Cat drums up a hunch!
Pool is Team d6, World-Class Thief d8, Crime Expert d8.
Shot-in-the-dark lead: Result of 12 with a d8 effect, to create an Ex-Criminal Contact asset for investigation of this Big Man/Goblin connection. Assuming I don't lose to the Doom pool, I'll leave the details up to your judgement, Neaden.

I'm also pretty sure this scene triggers both my 1 and 3xp milestones for "Cat-Themed Kleptomaniac." I'm not counting any of the adoring public stuff for Black Cat, since the other milestone is meant to reflect just plain old Patsy.
1 XP when you discuss some crazy aspect of your life experience as if it is entirely normal.
3 XP when you use Crime Expert to create an asset or aid an ally during a Transition Scene.

I also just re-read the affiliation rules, and realized I should have been using Buddy for most of that fight. Sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The Big Man is easy, everyone knows the story of Frederick Foswell, on again off again crime lord. Currently off due to his untimely death but hey, that didn't exactly stop you for long did it? On the other hand he suposedly died saving J. Jonah Jameson and a bus load of orphans and while that might be a bit of an exaggeration he might have ended up in a nicer place than you. You think you would have heard about him coming back to life, but you can't be 100% sure. Roderick Kingsley is the go-to source of everything Goblin these days, but he's not an exclusive source either ever since Harry seeded a torrent with half of his dad's files anyone can get their hands on the know-how to put together a basic goblin outfit.

The cop's will be interrogating the goblin's soon enough if you want to head over there, though it might be a good idea to take a breather right now too. One the other hand one of the gob's did get away, presumably back to whatever hideout they came from if you want to try to follow that.

"Doom Pool Roll": 17 with a d10 effect die 26 so you don't know anyone who can help you out right now.

• Locked thread