Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jenny Angel posted:

Okada, Shibata, and SANADA could easily have a 5-star triple threat smolder-off

Make it a 4-way with EVIL. I mean look at him, he's gorgeous. https://twitter.com/NJPWgifs/status/847800232939270144

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

thefncrow posted:

I see other people have their own ideas but I'm going to put down Dr. Death.

Dr. Death ain't sexy.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
MOTY Braun and Show for Raw, April 17

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM

CARÍSTICO, MÍSTICO® Y DRAGON LEE
vs
NEGRO CASAS, ÚLTIMO GUERRERO Y LA MÁSCARA

CMLL Arena Puebla 4/17

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
WMOTYC: Darby Allin vs. Ethan Page, Last Man Standing, Evolve 82, 4/22/2017

have you ever seen a wrestler try to put another guy in a body bag who has a broken arm. it took forever and was excruciating to watch

a garbage match even before Darby Allin broke his arm and then like 8 more minutes of stupid bumps, which was worthless

also Ethan Page was there

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

HM: Minoru Suzuki vs. Hirooki Goto, NJPW Road to Wrestling Dontaku 2017, 04/27

On the one hand, that chair shot :ohdear: On the other hand, Minoru Suzuki finally won a singles title at the ripe old age of 48 going on 49, and he looked amazing doing it. Goto was okay too.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

HM: Tyler Bate vs Jack Gallagher, NXT, April 26th

Some very good technical wrestling, lots of painful-looking holds and counterholds. A welcome change from the usual matches in the WWE.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Venomous posted:

HM: Minoru Suzuki vs. Hirooki Goto, NJPW Road to Wrestling Dontaku 2017, 04/27

On the one hand, that chair shot :ohdear: On the other hand, Minoru Suzuki finally won a singles title at the ripe old age of 48 going on 49, and he looked amazing doing it. Goto was okay too.

Second . The match was real good and the good kind of snug except for the dumb chairshot.

HM: Kushida vs Zach Sabre Jr : April 13th RevPro

Neat mat based Jr match that had all sorts of good counters. Would like to see Kushida move up to heavy and wrestle like that

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
HM: La Mascara vs Volador Jr 4/28/17 CMLL Good match and very touching post match.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

MOTYC: Hiromu Takahashi vs. Ricochet, NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni 2017, 04/29

Honestly thought this was better than Kushida/Hiromu at WK11. gdi they pulled out all the stops for this match. Ricochet was at the top of his game here, and Hiromu looked strong as heck defending his title. Can't wait for BOSJ now.

(also, had no idea there was an NJPW show this morning, so it was nice to wake up to this match.)

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

HM: La Mascara vs Volador Jr 4/28/17 CMLL Good match and very touching post match.

2nd'ing this.

Venomous posted:

Honestly thought this was better than Kushida/Hiromu at WK11. gdi they pulled out all the stops for this match. Ricochet was at the top of his game here, and Hiromu looked strong as heck defending his title. Can't wait for BOSJ now.

(also, had no idea there was an NJPW show this morning, so it was nice to wake up to this match.)

I'm only feeling an HM out of this myself, but it was a pretty great match, and seeing Ricochet managing to counter out of Hiromu's moves was pretty entertaining. From the same show:

HM: Juice Robinson vs. Tetsuya Naito, NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni 2017, 04/29

A pretty alright if unspectacular first half gave way to a MOTYC second half after they started brawling on the outside for the second time. Also features great selling on Juice's part.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

NuclearPotato posted:

A pretty alright if unspectacular first half gave way to a MOTYC second half after they started brawling on the outside for the second time. Also features great selling on Juice's part.

2nd. Crowd dragged down Hiromu/Ricochet too much for me to really get into it. Hiromu singing The Lion King in his post match interview is great though.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

NuclearPotato posted:

3rding this. Could have been an outside MOTYC in another year but 2017 is already packed with 4.5*+ matches

Juice is really good and seems like a cool guy, I'm glad New Japan see big things in him

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Venomous posted:

NuclearPotato posted:

Nth

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'll go with HM for Takahashi vs Ricochet, maybe it was the crowd but something about that mach didn't reach the MOTY level.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

and HM: Hiromu Takahashi vs. Ricochet, NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni 2017, 04/29

Kinda of the weakest crowd this year for the quality of NJPW matches though Naito/Juice actually got them into the finish at the end

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Updated through to (almost) the end of April. It seems like there were a few MOTY entrants that were just a vote short of being included, let me know if I miscounted anything.

Matches of the Year

01/04 | KUSHIDA vs. Hiromu Takahashi - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/15 | Pete Dunne vs. Mark Andrews - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/15 | Pete Dunne vs. Tyler Bate - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/29 | Kevin Owens (C) vs. Roman Reigns for the WWE Universal Championship - WWE Royal Rumble
01/29 | AJ Styles vs. John Cena - WWE Royal Rumble
02/05 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs. Minoru Suzuki for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo
02/11 | Tetsuya Naito (C) vs. Michael Elgin for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - NJPW New Beginning in Osaka
02/12 | WWE Championship Elimination Chamber match - John Cena (C) vs. AJ Styles vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt vs. Baron Corbin vs. The Miz
03/10 | The Hardy's vs. The Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice - ROH 15th Anniversary
03/12 | Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii - New Japan Cup 1st Round
04/01 | Authors of Pain (C) vs. The Revival vs. DIY for the NXT Tag Team Championship - NXT Takeover: Orlando
04/02 | Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles - Wrestlemania 33.
04/02 | The Club (C) vs. Sheamus & Cesaro vs. Enzo & Cass vs. The Hardys for the WWE Tag Team Championship - Wrestlemania 33
04/02 | Bill Goldberg (C) vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Universal Championship - Wrestlemania 33
04/09 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Katsuyori Shibata for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - Sakura Genesis
04/30 | Microman y el Gallito vs Mije y el Perico Zakarias - CMLL

Worst Matches of the Year

02/13 | Cesaro vs. Enzo Amore on Monday Night Raw
03/05 | Kevin Owens (C) vs. Goldberg for the WWE Universal Championship - WWE Fastlane
03/27 | Centella Roja e Hijo De Centella Roja vs. El Perverso Y Sombra Diabolika - CMLL Arena Puebla
04/02 | Bray Wyatt (C) vs. Randy Orton for the WWE Championship - Wrestlemania 33
04/02 | Undertaker vs Roman Reigns - Wrestlemania 33
04/30 | Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton in a House of Horrors Match - WWE Payback

Honorable Mentions

01/28 | Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Bobby Roode - NXT Takeover San Antonio
01/29 | The Royal Rumble Match - WWE Royal Rumble
02/05 | Juice Robinson vs. Hirooki Goto, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo
02/11 | Hiromu Takahashi(c) vs. Dragon Lee for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship
02/14 | Bray Wyatt (C) vs. AJ Styles vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship - Smackdown
02/22 | Pete Dunne vs. Mark Andrews - NXT
02/25 | Timothy Thatcher vs. Zack Sabre Jr - Evolve 79
03/05 | Neville vs. Jack Gallagher for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship - WWE Fastlane
03/06 | Katsuyori Shibata (C) vs. Zack Sabre Jr. for the RevPro British Heavyweight Championship - NJPW 45th Anniversary Show
03/06 | Kazuchika Okada vs. Tiger Mask W - NJPW 45th Anniversary Show
03/05 | Braun Strowman vs. Roman Reigns - WWE Fastlane
03/10 | Bobby Fish vs. Jay Lethal - ROH 15th Anniversary
03/10 | Marty Scurll vs. Lio Rush - ROH 15th Anniversary Show
03/21 | American Alpha (C) vs. The Usos for the Smackdown Tag Team Championship - Smackdown Live
03/21 | Neville vs. Mustafa Ali - 205 Live
03/30 | Ricochet vs. Keith Lee - EVOLVE
04/01 | SAnitY vs Tye Dillinger, Roderick Strong, Kassius Ohno & Ruby Riot - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/01 | Aleister Black vs. Andrade Almas - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/01 | Asuka (C) vs. Ember Moon for the NXT Women's Championship - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/01 | Bobby Roode (C) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura for the NXT Championship - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/29 | Hiromu Takahashi (C) vs. Ricochet for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni
04/29 | Tetsuya Naito (C) vs Juice Robinson for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 1, 2017

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
MOTYC, CMLL 4/30

MICROMAN Y EL GALLITO
vs
MIJE Y EL PERICO ZAKARÍAS

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC, CMLL 4/30

MICROMAN Y EL GALLITO
vs

Posture Pal
Nov 22, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC, CMLL 4/30

MICROMAN Y EL GALLITO
vs

LUCHA DEL AÑO

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Updated through to (almost) the end of April. It seems like there were a few MOTY entrants that were just a vote short of being included, let me know if I miscounted anything.

Matches of the Year

Honorable Mentions

03/06 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs. Tiger Mask W for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW 45th Anniversary Show

This was non-title.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC, CMLL 4/30

MICROMAN Y EL GALLITO
vs

Nothing will ever top this.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC, CMLL 4/30

MICROMAN Y EL GALLITO
vs

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC, CMLL 4/30

MICROMAN Y EL GALLITO
vs

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC, CMLL 4/30

MICROMAN Y EL GALLITO
vs

Better midget match than Trevor lee vs. Chip Day.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC, CMLL 4/30

MICROMAN Y EL GALLITO
vs

Added this to the list of MOTYCs

KungFu Grip posted:

This was non-title.

Fixed this.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't posted here in like two years but I'm all for WMOTY being the House of horrors match

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

WMOTYC - Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton, WWE Backlash, 4/30

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

WMOTYC - Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman, WWE Backlash, 4/30

At least Strowman won and killed the big dog afterwards.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Second

You should never air long pre-taped matches at a Pay-per view. This would of been fine for a Raw/Smackdown especially given the angle at the end

Jinder is gonna be the worst challenger ever

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
....I actually liked Strawman vs Reigns please don't hate me.....

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

sportsgenius86 posted:

I was curious after seeing all the nominations so I saw it and now I will endorse this nomination. I'm not sure if it's worse than their last match, but they're both certainly really bad.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Ghidzilla posted:

I did too

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ghidzilla posted:

It was perfectly fine, and it had a finish other than the cookie-cutter "dead guy pops up and hits his move" WWE one.

also

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC, CMLL 4/30

MICROMAN Y EL GALLITO
vs
Nth

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Testekill posted:

Yep.

Testekill posted:

WMOTYC - Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman, WWE Backlash, 4/30

At least Strowman won and killed the big dog afterwards.

lol gently caress no

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I will nth the nomination if people correct the ppv name to Payback. Not Backlash.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

MOTYC Braun vs Roman - Payback 2017

MOTYC Orton vs Wyatt HOUSE OF HORRORS - Payback 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm just referring them to Paybacklash Raw and Paybacklash Smackdown

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Junpei Hyde posted:

MOTYC Braun vs Roman - Payback 2017

MOTYC Orton vs Wyatt HOUSE OF HORRORS - Payback 2017

Yup. Is there a way to give the HOH match SEVEN stars? Cause it was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Nevermind

Senerio fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 3, 2017

• Locked thread