Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Does this specifically have to be about matches that took place in 2017 or can I post like, 80s Portland arena footage from Vimeo or some poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's a pretty famous show, but I recently rewatched Clash of the Champions XVII on the network and it owned. If you want to get into the early 90s bit in WCW where business was totally in the shitter but the TV product was mostly great, this is a really good place to start. Even stuff on the undercard that looks awful like Stunning Steve vs. PN News is entertaining (Steve makes News look about as good as you could possibly get PN News to look).

Main events were Dustin Rhodes/Mystery partner v. Arn Anderson/Larry Zybysko, in a match which had one of the least disappointing mystery partners of all time, and could act as a textbook for how to sell as a babyface in a tag match (I loved JR on commentary pretty much admitting that 1991 WCW had sucked up to this point, saying something like "It's been a long time since we've had a crowd as hot as this one"). Rude/Sting was the main, which was a good match combined with a fantastic angle. WCW had nothing going into this show and it had a Sting v. Rude/Paul E. program that looked red hot, and a big babyface return. I'm probably going to end up watching the WCWSNs after this, because I ended up really wanting to see where the Sting/Rude program went.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I love Arn tags and I wish that Arn/Larry Z team had lasted longer. Larry's just one of the best heels ever, he's completely unconcerned about looking cool (one of the biggest problems with WWE heels) or badass. He's just a loving rear end in a top hat. He's the guy in a red BMW who cuts you off on the freeway.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Royal Rumble nominations (1/29)

MOTYC:
Roman Reigns v. Kevin Owens
John Cena v. AJ Styles

HM:
Neville v. Rich Swann
Royal Rumble Match

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

MOTY: John Cena vs. AJ Styles
HM: The Royal Rumble
WMOTY: Neville vs. Rich Swann

Agreed on the top two being fantastic, but the Cruiserweight match was one of the most boring and dull watches I've ever seen. I shouldn't be saying that about a Cruiserweight match but here we are. What was you favourite bit, the part with the rest holds? Or the bad flippy doos that led into more rest holds?

The offense was surprisingly tough and brutal for a CW match and I thought Neville was doing great heel work. It's just that most people don't want to see that out of a CW match.

That match had like, a, Brian Pillman v. Bobby Eaton as a WCW Saturday Night main event feel to it which I digged. I thought it was a very solidly worked wrestling match with a spectacular babyface comeback. Unfortunately the crowd only wants to see sprints in CW title matches.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm probably higher on it than most giving it an HM but I really liked it. they just need to make the next CW title match a sprint so people finally get what they want out of the division though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
HM: Braun Strowman v. Roman Reigns, WWE Fastlane 3/5

Frankly I would go MOTYC because no match where BRAUN attempts a Superfly Splash should go below a MOTYC but I think HM is more likely.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i mean there were like a few dozen ECW matches which mainly consisted of awful slow buildups to blown garbage spots repeatedly that everyone went nuts for in the building so the "everyone popped for it!" argument isnt a very good one

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
watching those "slow build blown spot slow build blown spot" ECW matches gave the impression of "if this is where wrestling is going i'm out" so I can respect the negative reaction to Ospery/Scrull

remember that people in the late 90s really did think that ECW style was going to be the future of wrestling

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
despite LU's pretensions, all those things are wrestling promotions, not a drama series

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
How many tickets does GLOW sell?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mkay0 posted:

How is it less of a match than Final Deletion or literally any Lucha Underground match?

Because TNA and Lucha Underground are actual wrestling promotions, who run shows and tapings you can attend.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cavauro posted:

here comes the big swerve. i actually also nominate the unremarkable scene edited together from 3 to 15 second sequences. now you have to include it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Venomous posted:

HM: Samoa Joe vs. Brock Lesnar, WWE Great Balls of Fire, 7/9

e: gently caress it, HM: Roman Reigns vs. Braun Strowman, WWE Great Balls of Fire, 7/9

Both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
ALso HM for Hardys/Cesaro+Sheamus ironman match at WWE Great Balls of Fire

• Locked thread