Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

So since there's no Dragon Gate to rec for the next week or so, howabout people check out Toryumon's El Numero Uno 2003 tournament?

Part I - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w80q-AUI0-k
Part II - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7S7SAaVZEM

One of my favorite shows ever, it has some great show long storytelling with the dual stories of CIMA (wins lol) overcoming previous injuries and babyfacing his way to victory, parallel to Genki Horiguchi upsetting two of Toryumon's biggest stars with Backslide victories over Magnum Tokyo and Mochizuki. All the tournament matches are fun to watch and the final match is a legit awesome MOTYC (for 2003). The dumb clusterfuck matches at the beginning and the semi-final are fun enough to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

poo poo yeah. Inundate me with old school Toryumon if you have more. Here's a 2001 clusterfuck tag I like:

9-Man Trios Triple Threat:
CIMA/Fuji/SUWA vs Darkness Dragon/Mochizuki/Kanda vs Dragon Kid/Magnum TOKYO/Ryo Saito

poo poo quality (380p) but what do you want, it was the early days of streaming online video. Watch it on your phone or something. If nothing else, watch the spot that gets set up around 12:45 and pays off around 15 seconds later.

Super fun match. So weird seeing all these old guys looking young and fresh. One of the things I like about Toryumon over modern Dragon Gate is that it feels a lot looser and wilder.

I got the Toryumon vs. T2P show from August of 2002:
Part I - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2LvvTuj_sE&t
Part II - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtmpLxT2ZKE

Whole card is excellent, but notable matches are Ultimo Dragon's first match in several years, returning from a botched surgery against Mochizuki, which starts around the 1 hour and 50 minute mark of the first video, and the 2/3 falls mask match between Dragon Kid and Darkness Dragon at around the 1 hour and 15 minute mark of the second video.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

HM: CK-1 (Dragon Kid and CIMA) vs. Tribe Vanguard (Yousuke Santa Maria and Kzy) - Dragon Gate Open the New Year Gate Day 2, 1/15

Match starts at around the 1:32:00 mark.

Really excellent tag match to set up their eventual Twin Gate match. Kzy and Maria are a really great team and play really fiery babyfaces. CIMA was a perfect dickhead which made Maria pulling out the surprise victory feel really earned. Only downside was no Kzy Time and they obviously were holding back to make the Twin Gate match feel better.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 31, 2017

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate: 2/2 Truth Gate

HM: Shingo Takagi, Cyber Kong, T-Hawk, and El Lindaman vs. Naruki Doi, Ben-K, Big R Shimizu, and Takehiro Yamamura

Started as an alright match before getting good once Shingo and Big R started beating the poo poo out of each other on the outside, including a ganso bomb to the floor.

MOTYC: Takehiro Yamamura vs. Big R Shimizu

Two young guys pull out an absolutely stellar match out of seemingly nowhere. Both guys looked amazing and Yamamura got booked real fuckin' strong.

MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - BxB Hulk vs. YAMATO

Probably not as good to a lot of people as it was to me, but I'm a big BxB Hulk mark so whatever. So with at least two people in Dragon Gate currently out with severe back/neck injuries, Hulk and YAMATO decided that the best course of action for this match was to literally murder each other for 30 minutes. Kind of a slower epic broadway match, it still had it's share of really dumb spots: EVO to the floor (this might be the dumbest spot of the year across any promotion unless WWE has Brock bust someone open hardway with his elbow again), a top rope tiger suplex, plus lots of kicks to the head.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's March Korakuen Show, 3/8
HM: Over Generation with Doi vs. Verserk Headhunting Match - CIMA, Dragon Kid, Eita, Takehiro Yamamura, and Naruki Doi vs. Shingo Takagi, T-Hawk, "brother" YASSHI, El Lindaman, and Punch Tominaga

Yamamura has been getting pushed hard in the past couple of months and he's been really impressive stepping up to the plate.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's Championship Gate Night 2 show on 3/5.

HM: Cyber Kong vs YAMATO - Open the Dream Gate Championship

I was kind of dreading this match because it's a Cyber Kong singles match and his last Dream Gate match was a horrible disaster, but this was proof that a decent build can add a lot to a match. Since the beginning of the year, a lot of people in Dragon Gate have had to take time off due to injury so DG decided to work it into a story by saying Kong had injured them. They also added a worked injury angle where Kong injured YAMATO's throat in a tag match leading up to the show. Anyways, they managed to get a lot of heat with Kong repeatedly going after YAMATO's throat early in the match, and they did a pretty god job of building a story with YAMATO getting back into the match with his technical skill and getting pissed at Kong going after the throat, and the finish was pretty exciting with Kong voluntarily removing his mask and breaking out Black Mist only to be defeated by a last ditch desperate sleeper hold. A surprise on all fronts.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Watched the rest of Dragon Gate's Championship Gate show. Really great show with lots of great matches, helped by the crowd being hot throughout both nights.

From Night 1 on 3/4

HM: El Lindaman vs. Eita - Open the Brave Gate Championship

Excellent match hampered by a dq finish but the post match shenanigans of everyone beating up everyone else was pretty fun.

From Night 2 on 3/5

MOTYC: North Tribe (BxB Hulk and Kzy) vs. CK-1 (CIMA and Dragon Kid) - Open the Twin Gate Championship

Even though I knew the outcome before hand I bought into some of the false finishes so obviously this match was doing something right. Loved the "just barely won, could have gone either way at the end" finish. Best match of a very good set of shows.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

lol

what is it like to be so full of hatred and anti-fun

https://twitter.com/KennyOmegamanX/status/848561510070624257

Livin' the gimmick brother!

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

sigmachiev posted:

4/10/2016 Tetsuya Naito ****1/4
5/3/2016 SANADA ****
6/19/2016 Tetsuya Naito ****1/2
7/18/2016 Naomichi Marufuji ****1/2
8/3/2016 Togi Makabe ****1/4
8/6/2016 Tomohiro Ishii *****
8/12/2016 Hiroshi Tanahashi ****3/4
10/10/2016 Naomichi Marufuji ****3/4
1/4/2017 Kenny Omega ******
2/5/2017 Minoru Suzuki ****3/4
3/6/2017 Tiger Mask W ****1/2
4/9/2017 Katsuyori Shibata: TBA

Greatest year run for match quality for a main eventer, ever.

E: Also, Nth.

Being paired with some of the best in the world (and also Togi Makabe) probably doesn't hurt.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

bad joke I couldn't figure out how to word properly.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 3, 2017

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate Dead or Alive 2017, 5/5.

Every match on this show was real loving good and had something that was real fun. Best top to bottom show I've seen this year.

HM: Open the Twin Gate Championship - CK-1 (Dragon Kid and CIMA) vs. Verserk (El Lindaman and T-Hawk)

Just a good old-fashioned heels cheating and beating up faces match. Lindaman and T-Hawk are a really good team and they reversed and avoided a bunch of CK-1's moves and spots like they had actually seen a match of theirs before. Really good.

MOTYC: Open the Brave Gate Championship - Jimmy Kagetora vs. Takehiro Yamamura

Best Brave Gate match in a long time. No gently caress finish, didn't feel rushed, every near fall was bought into. Stellar match that achieves in half the time what most wrestlers struggle to do in a 30 minute epic. Yamamura has been having a killer loving year.

MOTY: Open the Dream Gate Dead or Alive Mask vs. Hair 5 Way Steel Cage Match: YAMATO vs. Naruki Doi vs. BxB Hulk vs. Shingo Takagi vs. Cyber Kong

Jeezus. I don't know if it's possible for a wrestling match to be perfect, but I imagine it'd look like this. This match had loving everything. Stable warfare, wacky shenanigans, excellent wrestling, great storytelling, and high drama. Doubt there'll be a match this good the rest of the year.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate: King of Gate Day 1, 5/9

HM: Eita vs. YAMATO

Hampered by one of the slow starts that YAMATO loves in his singles matches. Early part of the match was anchored at least by some pretty impressively smooth submission work and some really stiff srike exchanges. Picked up by the end and was real good.

MOTYC: Shingo Takagi vs. Masaaki Mochizuki

Long awaited rematch to the best match of 2015. Didn't have the high drama of a Dream Gate title match but still, from start to finish, was an absolute war that subverted enough of their previous matche's spots that it managed to feel completely fresh.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Who loses their mask/hair in a match like that? All 4 losers, or whoever takes the fall?

Usually there are five flags at the top of the cage and the goal is to climb up and grab one in order to escape. Last one left loses their mask/hair.

This year the match was for the Dream Gate title. There were four flags and the belt on top of the cage this year. The rules were you had to climb up and get a flag, at which point you became eligible to climb up and get the belt. People could be pinned or submitted at any time, eliminating them from the match. The defending champ, YAMATO, could not be eliminated from the match, and he could not climb up to get the belt until only two were left in the cage. If anyone had gotten the belt, YAMATO lost his hair. If YAMATO got the belt, than the last man in the cage with him loses his mask/hair.

If this seems overly convoluted, it is. The rules are meant to encourage lots of outside interference, as Dragon Gate is booked around stable warfare so every stable came out to interfere with a vested interest in either getting their guy the title or preventing Verserk (the main heel group) from getting the title.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 12, 2017

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's kinda of amazing how many great matches that would be legit matches of the year any other year just don't stand a chance cause Okada/Omega was so great.

Naito/Tanahashi was right before it though?

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate - Korakuen 6/1

HM: Naruki Doi vs. Takehiro Yamamura

HM: YAMATO vs. Big R Shimizu

The best 3 minute 45 second match I've seen all year.

MOTYC: BxB Hulk vs. Shingo Takagi

Best feud in wrestling continues. Hulk and Shingo have a singles match. It loving ruled.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 2, 2017

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

HM: Naruki Doi vs. Shingo Takagi, King of Gate Semifinals, Dragon Gate 6/10

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Senerio posted:

Honestly the big annoyance to me is that Mayu/Kairi wasn't counted as a HM considering it got 3 votes for that, and with all the arguing about GLOW covering it up, I went and did legwork to show the three nominations for HM so J-Ru can't ignore this.

The Dead or Alive cage match got three MOTY nominations and one HM from some wet blanket, so now it's not even on the list.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I missed Kairi Hojo vs Mayu Iwatani, I'll add to that to the list.

GLOW is a TV show and was posted by Senerio as a joke, it isn't a valid option.

What about the DoA Cage Match? I demand justice for YAMATO in the Something Awful 2017 Match of the Year Thread.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's July 6th Korakuen Hall show.

MOTYC - MaxiMuM vs. Jimmyz, Captains’ Fall Naniwa Rules Elimination Match: Kotoka(c), Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Big R Shimizu, Ben-K vs. Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!(c), Jimmy Susumu, Jimmy Kanda, Ryo “Jimmy” Saito, Jimmy K-ness J.K.S

This match was both everything people love about Dragon Gate and everything people hate about Dragon Gate. A nonsensically-structured clusterfuck of a match that's nearly impenetrable unless you closely follow the promotion. Yet it was hype as gently caress and about as exciting and high-speed as you can get in wrestling. The last twenty/fifteen minutes are just non-stop amazing, and it has one of my favorite over-the-top-rope eliminations I've seen in years, and the Dragon Gate booking committee has to have at least one wizard on it to get Kotoka of all people over as a fiery babyface. Real good poo poo, MaxiMuM/Jimmyz Feud of the Year, easily.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 7, 2017

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's Kobe World - 7/23

HM - Open the Brave Gate Championship: Jimmy KAGETORA vs. Flamita

HM - Open the Triangle Gate #1 Contender Tournament Finals: Jimmy Susumu, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Ryo “Jimmy” Saito vs. Kotoka, Big R Shimizu, Ben-K

HM - Open the Twin Gate Championship: CK-1 (CIMA & Dragon Kid) vs. Speed Muscle (Masato Yoshino & Naruki Doi)

MOTYC - Open the Dream Gate Championship: YAMATO vs. T-Hawk
WTF I love singles T-Hawk now?

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 23, 2017

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dimebags Brain posted:

From Dragon Gate's Kobe World - 7/23
HM - Open the Twin Gate Championship: CK-1 (CIMA & Dragon Kid) vs. Speed Muscle (Masato Yoshino & Naruki Doi)

Rewatched this, wanna upgrade to MOTYC. Goddamn this was fire.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's 8/8 Korakuen Show:

HM: MaxiMuM (Big R Shimizu, Ben-K, Kotoka) vs. Over Generation (Eita, Takehiro Yamamura, Kaito Ishida)
Young guys having a great match that started out as close as Dragon Gate gets to vicious brawls, and the ending was straight fire.

HM: 4-Man Elimination Match: Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO, BxB Hulk, Kzy, Yosuke Santa Maria) vs. Verserk (Shingo Takagi, T-Hawk, El Lindaman, The Artist Formerly Known As Cyber Kong)
A hair away from MOTYC. Despite the clean sweep by the faces, they managed to get some real good underdog babyface heat.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 14, 2017

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Boco_T posted:

Big Mike is the best in the world

Big Mike vs Big Dog vs Big R for ultimate Big Supremacy.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

What about Big E?!

This would actually be a rad as hell four way.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Fenrir posted:

Really, I don't think anything's going to top that.

The Naito/Tanhashi matches that immediately preceded each Omega/Okada match were better every time.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

The G1 one wasn't even the best Naito match of that weekend, so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Wow, Naito had two matches better than Omega/Okada III in one weekend? Dude's amazing.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

The weak, less convincing leg work that the crowd didn't get as into was definitely better than the much better match that came after.

As a big BxB Hulk fan, you're just selling me further.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's 9/5 Korakuen show

MOTYC:Open the Dream Gate #1 Contenders Match - Big R Shimizu vs Masaaki Mochizuki

Stiff exciting sprint with superb top-notch storytelling. Pretty much everything you'd want from this match.

MOTYC: Elimination Tag Match, Loser takes Two Loses: Over Generation (CIMA, Dragon Kid, Eita) vs MaxiMuM (Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Kotoka) vs VerserK (Shingo Takagi, T-Hawk, El Lindaman)

A crazy DG clusterfuck match. Elevated by excellent character and story work and an incredibly hot crowd.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's 9/18 Dangerous Gate show

MOTYC: No DQ Unit Disbands Elimination Match - Verserk (Shingo Takagi, T-Hawk, Takashi Yoshida, El Lindaman, and Punch Tominaga) vs. Jimmyz (Jimmy Susumu, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Jimmy Kanda, and Jimmy K-Ness J.K.S.)

Shingo bullied Dragon Gate into letting him do a death match and this was the result. Not nearly as much a fast paced clusterfuck as these things usually are, but lots of great spots and high drama nonetheless. Some great imagery in the ending stretch of the final two fighting in a deconstructed ring among the detritus of death match weaponry. Match ended with women in the crowd openly weeping which is pretty much a requirement for being 2017's best match.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dimebags Brain posted:

From Dragon Gate's 9/18 Dangerous Gate show

MOTYC: No DQ Unit Disbands Elimination Match - Verserk (Shingo Takagi, T-Hawk, Takashi Yoshida, El Lindaman, and Punch Tominaga) vs. Jimmyz (Jimmy Susumu, Genki Horiguchi H.A.Gee.Mee!!, Ryo "Jimmy" Saito, Jimmy Kanda, and Jimmy K-Ness J.K.S.)

Shingo bullied Dragon Gate into letting him do a death match and this was the result. Not nearly as much a fast paced clusterfuck as these things usually are, but lots of great spots and high drama nonetheless. Some great imagery in the ending stretch of the final two fighting in a deconstructed ring among the detritus of death match weaponry. Match ended with women in the crowd openly weeping which is pretty much a requirement for being 2017's best match.

Man I can't believe I never went back and edited this post. From the same show:

HM - Open the Brave Gate Championship Match: Yosuke Santa Maria vs. Jimmy KAGETORA
Not gonna win any awards honestly but this was about the level of a real good Toru Yano G1 match, but Maria is a better worker than YRT. First time I've seen a title match based around the champion trying to maintain his Volcel Oath.

MOTYC - Open the Dream Gate Championship Match: Masaaki Mochizuki vs. YAMATO
The biggest issue with YAMATO's reign has been that while the title matches themselves have been fantastic, outside of the match where he won it, the booking has been lackluster. Either the match is just happening because one needs to happen and the crowd isn't really invested in it (Hulk, T-Hawk) or the momentum was entirely on his opponents side and his win undercut things (Doi, Kong, Tozawa, Doi). Here they managed to avoid that by having the guy with all the momentum win. Plus the match was pretty tremendous, as it had to be to win the crowd back after the end of the Jimmyz. About as technical a match as you'll see in Dragon Gate, created a lot of suspense and played to both men's strengths and led to a great sense of earned victory for Mochizuki while keeping YAMATO strong.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

In a "If no one watches a great match does it exist?"

That's like all my posts in this thread.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

As already explained, no shots of women weeping in the crowd. Can't be a MOTYC without that.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

From Dragon Gate's Gate of Destiny 2017 on 11/3

HM: Eita vs Ricochet
HM: Open the Triangle Gate Championship - Verserk (Shingo Takagi, Takashi Yoshida, El Lindamam) vs MaxiMuM (Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Kotoka) vs Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO, BxB Hulk, Kzy)
MOTYC: Open the Twin Gate Championship - CK-1 (CIMA & Dragon Kid) vs Big Ben (Big R Shimizu & Ben-K)
MOTYC: Open the Dream Gate Championship - Masaaki Mochizuki vs Susumu Yokosuka

What a loving outstanding show.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

HM - Dragon Gate Korakuen 12/5: Verserk (T-Hawk, Eita, El Lindaman) vs. Masaaki Mochizuki, Don Fujii, and CIMA

The Millennials are back together again and it feels so good. Also worth a watch for Mochizuki repeatedly clowning Lindman.

MOTYC - Dragon Gate Korakuen 12/5: The Children of Korakuen Hall vs. Doi Darts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Great Space War is always a MOTYC. 2nd.

• Locked thread