Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The UK Tourney was great, loved the ending. Really recommend watching both nights or at the very least all of night 2. They set the stage really well for an ongoing show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just a reminder that this thread is intended to serve both as a recommendation thread for pre-2017 stuff as well as a place to put up your nominations for what you believe to be the Match of the Year for 2017, the Worst Match of the Year for 2017, as well as honorable mention of 2017 matches you think people should go out of their way to watch. Nominations work the same as they always have before - MOTYC needs four votes to be added to the list, WMOTYC needs three votes, HM needs three votes.

Try to add a little explanation/discussion of what you're nominating too (this is not a rule, I'd just prefer it is all!). This is a discussion thread as well so feel free to talk about your picks and other people's picks - and remember you can freely recommend any pre-2017 match you like whether it's great or terrible.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stanfield posted:

HM: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Bobby Roode - NXT Takeover: San Antonio, 01/28[/b]

I'll second the latter because I really enjoyed the final few minutes and especially enjoyed how they handled the finish. The whole show was full of good but mostly unremarkable matches really, it felt like a very lowkey show compared to previous Takeovers.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MOTYC: AJ Styles (C) vs John Cena for the WWE Championship at the Royal Rumble.

loving incredible match and both guys came out of it looking like a million bucks. The ending was superb.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'll second that if only because I want more people to know how much Juice has improved in New Japan and how cool it is to see him slowly working his way up from nothing. It felt like he belonged in there with Goto.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've edited in January's MOTYCs and HMs into the second post, no WMOTYCs have gotten the needed number of votes yet as far as I can tell

Matches of the Year

01/04 | KUSHIDA vs. Hiromu Takahashi - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Katsuyori Shibata vs. Hirooki Goto - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/04 | Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega - NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11
01/15 | Pete Dunne vs Mark Andrews - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/15 | Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/29 | AJ Styles vs John Cena - WWE Royal Rumble

Worst Matches of the Year

Honorable Mentions

01/28 | Shinsuke Nakamura vs Bobby Roode - NXT Takeover San Antonio
01/29 | The Royal Rumble Match - WWE Royal Rumble

If I've missed anything, let me know.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Kazuchika Okada vs Minoru Suzuki for the IWGP Championship at NEW BEGINNING IN SAPPORRO 2/5

Didn't hit the heights of Okada's recent top matches but still really drat good and told a really interesting story with a surprising (to me) ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Hiromu Takahashi(c) vs. Dragon Lee for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship.

Lots of crazy moves and a fast pace make this a really fun and easy match to watch, and the crowd was really into it which always helps.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MOTYC: Tetsuya Naito (C) vs Michael Elgin for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship at NJPW New Beginning in Osaka

These two have fantastic chemistry together and the match built to a fantastic climax. Once again both guys come out of the match looking like a million bucks regardless of who won and who lost.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MOTYC: The Elimination Chamber match for the WWE Title at Elimination Chamber - John Cena (C) vs AJ Styles vs Dean Ambrose vs Bray Wyatt vs Baron Corbin vs The Miz

The PPV was average at best but the main event was fantastic and the final stretch was just great with an awesome ending.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM - Bray Wyatt vs. AJ Styles vs. John Cena, WWE Smackdown, 2/14

Really fun match with a hot crowd.

Agree with this, really enjoyed the match

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

No clue if we can HM this, but if so, I'd second it.

You can put in a nomination for any match that happened this year, sure :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Tiger Mask W for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship, NJPW 45th Anniversary Show.

Okada's had better performances this year but that's only because he's legit one of the best wrestlers on the planet (if not THE best). The momentum shifts and false finishes are a familiar thing in his matches but don't make it any less incredible how he manages to get me into the flow of the match, and the post-match shows of respect were really nicely handled.

Venomous posted:

HM: Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Katsuyori Shibata, NJPW 45th Anniversary Show, 3/6

I'll second that, if only for the ending/big surprise which I think is really worth seeing.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 6, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've updated the second post with February's nominations as far as I can tell. I haven't counted where people have just talked in general about the match without saying if they think it is Match of the year/Worst of the Year, an HM etc - if I've missed or miscounted anything let me know.

Matches of the Year

01/15 | Pete Dunne vs Mark Andrews - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/15 | Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/29 | AJ Styles vs John Cena - WWE Royal Rumble
02/05 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs. Minoru Suzuki for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo
02/11 | Tetsuya Naito (C) vs Michael Elgin for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - NJPW New Beginning in Osaka
02/12 | WWE Championship Elimination Chamber match - John Cena (C) vs AJ Styles vs Dean Ambrose vs Bray Wyatt vs Baron Corbin vs The Miz

02/13 | Cesaro vs. Enzo Amore on Monday Night Raw

Honorable Mentions

01/28 | Shinsuke Nakamura vs Bobby Roode - NXT Takeover San Antonio
02/05 | Juice Robinson vs. Hirooki Goto, NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo
02/11 | Hiromu Takahashi(c) vs. Dragon Lee for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship
02/14 | Bray Wyatt (C) vs. AJ Styles vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship - Smackdown
02/22 | Pete Dunne vs Mark Andrews - NXT
02/25 | Timothy Thatcher vs Zack Sabre Jr - Evolve 79

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 9, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

flashy_mcflash posted:

You can absolutely count it as a third.

Cheers, I hadn't but I will now. Adding it to the MOTY list.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

I think you missed Naito/Elgin. It got four nominations, I think that's the minimum?

You're right, I missed the 4th in among the Elimination Chamber nominations. Adding it now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't think it quite hit those heights but the first half of the match was some of the best poo poo I've seen all year, and it's already got more than enough nominations v:shobon:v

Everybody should watch that match!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mukaikubo posted:

HM: Asuka vs. Ember Moon, NXT Takeover Orlando

With another few months of seasoning on Ember's part the rematch could be a MOTYC. It was close! Stiff as gently caress.

Second. The ending was great and seems to be setting up a lengthier feud which I'm excited for. This did a great job of building up Ember too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yep

And I'm gonna say

HM: Aleister Black vs. Andrade Almas, NXT Takeover, 4/1

I'll second that.

Also HM: Sanity vs Tye Dillinger, Roderick Strong & Kassius Ohno (with Ruby Riot).

The whole show has been great so far.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Senerio posted:

(It was a mixed tag)

I came in late so I didn't realize, thanks :)

St Evan Echoes posted:

HM: Shinsuke Nakamura v Bobby Roode, NXT Takeover Orlando 4-1-2017

Agreed.

Takeover was a fantastic show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

HM: Neville vs. Austin Aries, Wrestlemania 33, 4/2

It's already been on!?! Goddammit I was actually looking forward to that!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've updated the nominations list

Matches of the Year

01/15 | Pete Dunne vs. Mark Andrews - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/15 | Pete Dunne vs. Tyler Bate - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/29 | Kevin Owens (C) vs. Roman Reigns for the WWE Universal Championship - WWE Royal Rumble
01/29 | AJ Styles vs. John Cena - WWE Royal Rumble
02/05 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs. Minoru Suzuki for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW The New Beginning in Sapporo
02/11 | Tetsuya Naito (C) vs. Michael Elgin for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - NJPW New Beginning in Osaka
02/12 | WWE Championship Elimination Chamber match - John Cena (C) vs. AJ Styles vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt vs. Baron Corbin vs. The Miz
03/10 | The Hardy's vs. The Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice - ROH 15th Anniversary
03/12 | Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii - New Japan Cup 1st Round
04/01 | Authors of Pain (C) vs. The Revival vs. DIY for the NXT Tag Team Championship - NXT Takeover: Orlando
04/02 | Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles - Wrestlemania 33.
04/02 | The Club (C) vs. Sheamus & Cesaro vs. Enzo & Cass vs. The Hardys for the WWE Tag Team Championship - Wrestlemania 33
04/02 | Bill Goldberg (C) vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Universal Championship - Wrestlemania 33

03/05 | Kevin Owens (C) vs. Goldberg for the WWE Universal Championship - WWE Fastlane
03/27 | Centella Roja e Hijo De Centella Roja vs. El Perverso Y Sombra Diabolika - CMLL Arena Puebla
04/02 | Bray Wyatt (C) vs. Randy Orton for the WWE Championship - Wrestlemania 33
04/02 | Undertaker vs Roman Reigns - Wrestlemania 33

Honorable Mentions

01/28 | Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Bobby Roode - NXT Takeover San Antonio
02/11 | Hiromu Takahashi(c) vs. Dragon Lee for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship
02/14 | Bray Wyatt (C) vs. AJ Styles vs. John Cena for the WWE Championship - Smackdown
02/22 | Pete Dunne vs. Mark Andrews - NXT
02/25 | Timothy Thatcher vs. Zack Sabre Jr - Evolve 79
03/05 | Neville vs. Jack Gallagher for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship - WWE Fastlane
03/06 | Katsuyori Shibata (C) vs. Zack Sabre Jr. for the RevPro British Heavyweight Championship - NJPW 45th Anniversary Show
03/06 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs. Tiger Mask W for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - NJPW 45th Anniversary Show
03/05 | Braun Strowman vs. Roman Reigns - WWE Fastlane
03/10 | Bobby Fish vs. Jay Lethal - ROH 15th Anniversary
03/10 | Marty Scurll vs. Lio Rush - ROH 15th Anniversary Show
03/21 | American Alpha (C) vs. The Usos for the Smackdown Tag Team Championship - Smackdown Live
03/21 | Neville vs. Mustafa Ali - 205 Live
03/30 | Ricochet vs. Keith Lee - EVOLVE
04/01 | SAnitY vs Tye Dillinger, Roderick Strong, Kassius Ohno & Ruby Riot - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/01 | Aleister Black vs. Andrade Almas - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/01 | Asuka (C) vs. Ember Moon for the NXT Women's Championship - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/01 | Bobby Roode (C) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura for the NXT Championship - NXT Takeover Orlando

Yes AJ vs Shane has gotten the nominations for MOTY.... seriously.

There are a couple of matches that are just a single nomination short of a MOTY spot (like L.A. Park vs. Rush), just FYI.

I think the above list is accurate (even with Shane vs AJ on the MOTY list) but if I've missed anything let me know.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 3, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: The Club (C) vs Sheamus & Cesaro vs. Enzo & Cass vs THE HARDYS for the WWE Tag Team Championship - Wrestlemania 33, 04/02

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cardboard Box posted:

umm excuse me i had thrown in a late nomination for kevin owens vs roman reigns at royal rumble to make it to the motyc list :colbert:

Updated, thanks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MOTYC: Bill Goldberg (C) vs Brock Lesnar for the WWE Universal Championship at Wrestlemania 33

EXACTLY what it needed to be.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Katsuyori Shibata for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - Sakura Genesis

For a moment, one beautiful moment, I believed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I honestly can't even believe there are people out there who don't think Okada is exceptional.

Plus, you know, he's not even 30 yet! :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Wait til you go on twitter

I'll be waiting a long time :colbert:

But seriously... really? HOW!?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Updated through to (almost) the end of April. It seems like there were a few MOTY entrants that were just a vote short of being included, let me know if I miscounted anything.

Matches of the Year

01/15 | Pete Dunne vs. Mark Andrews - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/15 | Pete Dunne vs. Tyler Bate - WWE UK Championship Tournament Night 2
01/29 | Kevin Owens (C) vs. Roman Reigns for the WWE Universal Championship - WWE Royal Rumble
01/29 | AJ Styles vs. John Cena - WWE Royal Rumble
02/11 | Tetsuya Naito (C) vs. Michael Elgin for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - NJPW New Beginning in Osaka
02/12 | WWE Championship Elimination Chamber match - John Cena (C) vs. AJ Styles vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Bray Wyatt vs. Baron Corbin vs. The Miz
03/10 | The Hardy's vs. The Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice - ROH 15th Anniversary
03/12 | Kenny Omega vs. Tomohiro Ishii - New Japan Cup 1st Round
04/01 | Authors of Pain (C) vs. The Revival vs. DIY for the NXT Tag Team Championship - NXT Takeover: Orlando
04/02 | Shane McMahon vs. AJ Styles - Wrestlemania 33.
04/02 | The Club (C) vs. Sheamus & Cesaro vs. Enzo & Cass vs. The Hardys for the WWE Tag Team Championship - Wrestlemania 33
04/02 | Bill Goldberg (C) vs. Brock Lesnar for the WWE Universal Championship - Wrestlemania 33
04/09 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs Katsuyori Shibata for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - Sakura Genesis
04/30 | Microman y el Gallito vs Mije y el Perico Zakarias - CMLL

03/05 | Kevin Owens (C) vs. Goldberg for the WWE Universal Championship - WWE Fastlane
03/27 | Centella Roja e Hijo De Centella Roja vs. El Perverso Y Sombra Diabolika - CMLL Arena Puebla
04/02 | Bray Wyatt (C) vs. Randy Orton for the WWE Championship - Wrestlemania 33
04/02 | Undertaker vs Roman Reigns - Wrestlemania 33
04/30 | Bray Wyatt vs Randy Orton in a House of Horrors Match - WWE Payback

Honorable Mentions

01/28 | Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Bobby Roode - NXT Takeover San Antonio
02/22 | Pete Dunne vs. Mark Andrews - NXT
02/25 | Timothy Thatcher vs. Zack Sabre Jr - Evolve 79
03/05 | Neville vs. Jack Gallagher for the WWE Cruiserweight Championship - WWE Fastlane
03/06 | Katsuyori Shibata (C) vs. Zack Sabre Jr. for the RevPro British Heavyweight Championship - NJPW 45th Anniversary Show
03/06 | Kazuchika Okada vs. Tiger Mask W - NJPW 45th Anniversary Show
03/05 | Braun Strowman vs. Roman Reigns - WWE Fastlane
03/10 | Bobby Fish vs. Jay Lethal - ROH 15th Anniversary
03/10 | Marty Scurll vs. Lio Rush - ROH 15th Anniversary Show
03/21 | American Alpha (C) vs. The Usos for the Smackdown Tag Team Championship - Smackdown Live
03/21 | Neville vs. Mustafa Ali - 205 Live
03/30 | Ricochet vs. Keith Lee - EVOLVE
04/01 | SAnitY vs Tye Dillinger, Roderick Strong, Kassius Ohno & Ruby Riot - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/01 | Aleister Black vs. Andrade Almas - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/01 | Asuka (C) vs. Ember Moon for the NXT Women's Championship - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/01 | Bobby Roode (C) vs. Shinsuke Nakamura for the NXT Championship - NXT Takeover Orlando
04/29 | Hiromu Takahashi (C) vs. Ricochet for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship - NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni
04/29 | Tetsuya Naito (C) vs Juice Robinson for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship - NJPW Wrestling Toyonokuni

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 1, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC, CMLL 4/30

MICROMAN Y EL GALLITO
vs
MIJE Y EL PERICO ZAKARĶAS

Added this to the list of MOTYCs

KungFu Grip posted:

This was non-title.

Fixed this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm worried that Okada's star rating average might fall to a new low of 4.9999999999 :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

HM for Will Ospreay vs. Marty Scurll and Hiromu vs dragon lee from Best of Super Juniors 05/17

Both great matches that didn't quite MOTYC for me but topped off a fun watchable show.

Yeah I'd agree with these, both were very good matches but not [i]quite[i] up there at the top level with other matches I've seen this year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DarkstarIV posted:

MOTYC: Pete Dunne vs Tyler Bate, 5/20 NXT Takeover: Chicago

Insanely good match, with an incredibly hot crowd to boot.

Midnightghoul posted:

MOTYC: Dunne vs. Bate NXT Takeover Chicago

Hell yes. Incredible match, great crowd, drat good commentary from Nigel and it was great hearing JR too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Authors of Pain vs DIY for the NXT Tag Titles at NXT Chicago

Some will probably argue it was a MOTYC, I think it didn't QUITE make it there but it sure got close.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Frankston posted:

Dunne vs Bate would be my match of the year were it not for Omega vs Okada.

Every time I make a MOTYC nomination I feel like it goes without saying that it's a nomination for what is the best NON Omega/Okada Wrestle Kingdom match of the year :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gedo wants everybody put in their place early, so every year Okada sets the bar in the first week of January :smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jenkem Delivery posted:

HM: The Mack vs. Johnny Mundo "All Night Long" - Lucha Underground 5/31/17

Great match, I was there for the taping and everyone was on the edge of their seat the last couple of minutes. Really fun take on the Ironman Match

Did it actually air? I heard that they'd scheduled a replay of an older show instead but I didn't really follow up on it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Awesome, I had been looking forward to that match but the momentum they were building for it stalled with their mid-season break. Will check it out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Personally I'd say HM for KUSHIDA vs Ospreay in the BOSJ Final, though I can see how the post-match celebration might have pushed it over the edge for some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Armitage posted:

WMOTYC - Bayley vs. Alexa Bliss - Kendo Stick on a Pole match.

What a squash, holy poo poo. The build to this match led to that? Wow, both of them deserve much better than that.

3rd. Just goddamn terrible, made Bayley look like a huge loser.

• Locked thread