Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
My addition to the chickencheese movement, good times:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, oldpainless didn’t die or something, did he? I would really like to have some of those mushroom recipes before these forums reach the end times.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Buttery noods, roasted veg (turnip, tater, carrots), kraut, and toes

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Double posting, and not granny posting like I should.

This is what I made for dinner.

And this is what the result was that I had for dinner:

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Nap Ghost

Made wings. Very easy.

Small wings (not jumbo or medium size). Pat dry with paper towels.

Flour + baking powder + pink Himalayan salt + Cracked pepper. Just toss in that mix, brush off.

Veggie Oil at 400 degrees in a pot/steel pan. Cook for 10 minutes.

Toss in whatever sauce you like or make right out of the fryer.

Tremendous success.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Hey, oldpainless didn’t die or something, did he? I would really like to have some of those mushroom recipes before these forums reach the end times.

oh hey, sorry, i'm still alive, work has been an absolute dick.

for the yu xiang king oyster mushroom, I just use the recipe in the Chinese cooking thread by Gravity84 - it's honestly solid as all hell.

Edit: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post390019343

If you have access to pickled/fermented chillis, they really help with the sauce.

You'll just want to give the mushroom rounds a few minutes to cook, they're pretty quick to do.

I loving love cloud ear so I put loads in.

For the pasta dish:

split king oyster in half, and rub the cut half in olive oil on a wooden board - don't try and pour oil directly on the mushroom, it'll soak it all in the one spot.

For the pasta sauce: Finely dice shallots and mixed mushrooms, and sautee til softened and the mushrooms start to release their liquid. Add some vegetable stock and let it get to a simmer, then stir in mascarpone and slowly simmer until it's all incorporated and has a good, thick consistency. Season with a good hit of crushed black pepper, parmagiano, and salt to taste, and plenty of chopped parsley, just before you add the pasta and stir to combine - with macaroni or spirali it'll coat wonderfully.

For the crumb - very finely dice shallot, and fry until starting to crisp in a small pan with plenty of butter - add dried herbs (I went with sage, thyme and rosemary, for a big savoury combo) and panko breadcrumbs and gently fry with the shallots and butter. Season.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 29, 2020

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
It was the better-half's birthday yesterday, we decided to have an improptu at home degustation. Picked out a few of her favourite dishes and knocked them out over the course of a few hours.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Well last night our dinner plans were crushed by my grill shooting flames into the control panel and catching it on fire. Today I fixed the grill and celebrated with some lobster.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

slothrop posted:

It was the better-half's birthday yesterday, we decided to have an improptu at home degustation. Picked out a few of her favourite dishes and knocked them out over the course of a few hours.

loving hell.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Well last night our dinner plans were crushed by my grill shooting flames into the control panel and catching it on fire. Today I fixed the grill and celebrated with some lobster.

loving hell!

We had burgs. Half pound all beef patties, cheese stuffed, shallots, mustard, ketchup.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Picadillio and black beans here.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I made J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's black bean burgers and they were incredible. Best black bean burgers I've ever had, easily.

I served them with caramelized onions and some chipotle mayo I made a little while ago. We also had some cucumber and snap pea salad with a nice miso dressing and some ginger miso coleslaw. We were going to have corn too but I hurt my jaw recently and I didn't want to deal with it. For dessert I have some blueberry rhubarb compote and a big thing of vanilla ice cream.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Pork char siu, because what's more ostensibly American than celebrating a melting pot of BBQ

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
kenji's take out style kung pao w/ cashews instead of peanuts

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Kenji's putting out some awesome quarantine content and its cool to see people picking it up.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Really simple winter comfort food from last night (hello from the future) - pub-style bacon chicken parmigiana with sweet potato fries.

Sauce I use is ridiculously simple - 2 tins of crushed tomatoes, a tablespoon of caster sugar, a 1/2 teaspoon of salt, an onion and 2 cloves of garlic, with a 1/4 cup of chopped basil stirred through at the end and black pepper to taste.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I also made black bean burgers this week. As above, certainly the best I’ve made or eaten, although the texture and moistness was the most impressive part for me, I found the flavour a little lacking. His chicken and chickpea burger was far superior, to my mind.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Torquemada posted:

I also made black bean burgers this week. As above, certainly the best I’ve made or eaten, although the texture and moistness was the most impressive part for me, I found the flavour a little lacking. His chicken and chickpea burger was far superior, to my mind.

I cheated a little and put more spices (a bunch of paprika and cayenne and some cumin) into the mush as well as a little bit of hot sauce. I'm not sure how of a difference that made but I thought it was plenty flavorful.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Because of all this black bean burger talk, I'm going to try making them later this week. I've had good luck with Kenji recipes so far and I like black bean burgers in general.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I made his "vegan burgers that don't suck" for a vegan friend years ago and she was blown away. Much better texture than store bought garden burgers.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Butter chicken, masoor dal, raita, rice with turmeric and curry leaves, and pickles!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Pardon the awful picture. Open-faced pork belly sandwhiches on rye with garlic aioli and a bit of radish and sweet pickle garnish. Was trying to ape some things I had at Lost Nation Brewing in VT a couple of times. I botched the kale because I was harvesting from our garden and didn't have a good idea of how much I needed. It was over seasoned as a result.

The pork belly was crispy and very rich but the aioli was strong and I should have used less. Basically a lot of strong flavors that were good but were just way too much taken together. I'll probably take the leftover pork belly and do something with soba later in the week. Also have a bunch of leftover white wine from the kale recipe and will probably make some risotto another day.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Did some same-day crust pies in the Ooni Koda tonight:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
My jerk face friend made us a pile of BBQ Thai chili wings on the grill, the rear end in a top hat.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

You should punch him in his big stupid face with your saucy fingers and see how he likes it!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Ok but what is it?

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Made some ribs for the 4th. Left is gochujang bbq sauce, right is regular bbq sauce. Gochujang was surprisingly popular. Just mixed some gochujang and bbq sauce and it was spicy as poo poo but really good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Drink and Fight posted:

Ok but what is it?

Pasta bake with tuna, peas, corn, olives, etc.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Beets, citrus, cheese.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Professor Wayne posted:

Beets, citrus, cheese.

Interesting what are the little crunchy looking brown bits, and what herb?

vvv thanks m8

fart store fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 7, 2020

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pistachios and parsley. Recipe here: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/02/roasted-beet-pistachio-ricotta-grapefruit-citrus-salad-recipe.html

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Kenji’s Dan Dan noodle prep
A little further on

Torquemada fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 7, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
After a long weekend of cookouts, I’m dying for something a bit less heavy.

Did a southwest grilled tofu salad, with avocado, roasted corn and peppers, over spinach and mustard greens.

Was playing around with ideas for the dressing and found a couple of Chick-Fil-A sauce packets in my pantry. Added some lime, apple cider vinegar, and olive oil and it made a drat good complimentary dressing. I regret nothing.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Made some ribs for the 4th. Left is gochujang bbq sauce, right is regular bbq sauce. Gochujang was surprisingly popular. Just mixed some gochujang and bbq sauce and it was spicy as poo poo but really good.

Nice! What kinda smoker do you have? Would you recommend it?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I can't compete with you pros but I was legitimately proud of my work tonight so fuckit :shobon:

Basil + garlic scape pesto tossed with bowties and broccoli.

Side of scarlet queen turnip salad with lemon and apple cider vinaigrette.

Majority of ingredients from this week's haul from our CSA.

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot
Went nuts on some pasta for my girlfriend's birthday. I've been working on my plating, so if you've got any critiques I'd love to hear it.

Beet bucatini with goat cheese and chives

Farfalle with mushroom puree, parsley oil, asparagus, and king oyster mushroom

Goat cheese tortellini in tomato consumme

Braised short rib ravioli, with charred apple puree, pickled mustard seeds, confit onions, and fennel

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

skeet decorator posted:

Went nuts on some pasta for my girlfriend's birthday. I've been working on my plating, so if you've got any critiques I'd love to hear it.

Beet bucatini with goat cheese and chives

Farfalle with mushroom puree, parsley oil, asparagus, and king oyster mushroom

Goat cheese tortellini in tomato consumme

Braised short rib ravioli, with charred apple puree, pickled mustard seeds, confit onions, and fennel

WTF

Your making us all look bad.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

TontoCorazon posted:

WTF

Your making us all look bad.

It’s not fair of him to go to a restaurant and take pics

Seriously that’s incredible looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

No picture, but I made Kenji's black bean burgers and they were really good.