Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Eat This Glob posted:

How sweet is it with a cup of brown sugar? 56 oz of tomatoes and a pound of bacon seems like it should be balanced, but I'm a weirdo in that regard. Obviously taste is subjective; I'm just curious about your take

Yeah, I guess I should've mentioned that. I actually ended up doing the sugar by taste instead of measuring, but for me the full amount would be too sweet. I'd probably suggest a third of what's indicated and adjust according to taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Stringent posted:

Yeah, I guess I should've mentioned that. I actually ended up doing the sugar by taste instead of measuring, but for me the full amount would be too sweet. I'd probably suggest a third of what's indicated and adjust according to taste.

Thank you!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Was feeling falafel, but was not in the mood to make falafel. So I just tossed a can of chickpeas in with the tabouli I made. Then made tzatziki, cut up some veggies, and put it all on the closest thing I had to a pita :effort:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Chicken soup tonight!

And some Frank's in the second bowl

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I promised katsu curry and I'm a man of my word.

Carrot, onion, sweet potato, acorn squash.
A knob of dark chocolate with the curry mix.

mystes
May 31, 2006

toplitzin posted:

I promised katsu curry and I'm a man of my word.

Carrot, onion, sweet potato, acorn squash.
A knob of dark chocolate with the curry mix.
Nice!

I made lasagna and pumpkin frozen yogurt but no pictures because I'm lazy.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I read that wrong and had a major wtf moment.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Had some of my bacon tomato jam on a chive omelette.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Stringent posted:

:eyepop:

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Stringent posted:

This looks very very good

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

kumba posted:

Chicken soup tonight!

How dif boiled chicken turn out? I heard boiling makes it rubbery, but Ive never tried.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

excellent bird guy posted:

How dif boiled chicken turn out? I heard boiling makes it rubbery, but Ive never tried.

it can be rubbery if you overdo it, i don't typically let it cook for more than 2 hours or so, flipping the bird once at about the hour mark.

this is also extremely easy and probably right up your alley for how you like to cook: just get a whole chicken and throw it in the pot along with whatever veggie you want: this one was a few stalks of celery, some carrots, an onion, 2 potatoes, like 6 cloves of garlic, about a half cup of chopped parsley, and a tablespoon of salt & pepper. cover with water, bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cover, take the chicken out at the 2 hour mark, let the soup continue to simmer as the chicken cools, tear the chicken apart and add it back, and that's about it

it's loving delicious and you can adapt it to pretty much whatever you want in it. also freezes incredibly well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

excellent bird guy posted:

you can cook a whole chicken at a low simmer instead of boiling it and it will turn out very tender. dont boil it.

https://thewoksoflife.com/hainanese-chicken-rice-%E6%B5%B7%E5%8D%97%E9%B8%A1/

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh dang, I've legit never done the chicken right in. Usually I roast the chicken and add the shredded flesh into the soup.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Oh dang, I've legit never done the chicken right in. Usually I roast the chicken and add the shredded flesh into the soup.

Poached chicken looks very bland but it's usually very tender.

https://tasty.co/recipe/hainanese-chicken-rice

I've done something like this a few times and it's good.

SomedoodIV
Feb 28, 2013

I'm more a fan of breaking down the chicken, placing in the pot I'm going to make the soup in and searing them skin side down until it's a nice deep golden brown to build a bit of fond from the fats for extra flavor. Also gives the pieces a nice color and texture!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

SomedoodIV posted:

I'm more a fan of breaking down the chicken, placing in the pot I'm going to make the soup in and searing them skin side down until it's a nice deep golden brown to build a bit of fond from the fats for extra flavor. Also gives the pieces a nice color and texture!

i generally trim all the skin & fat off the back & breast cause it mostly comes off in one piece and i can make fried chicken skin & schmaltz with it later :getin:

the remaining skin & fat from the wings/thighs/legs is more than enough for flavor in the soup, though i never thought to sear those first! might have to try that next time

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Disappointment.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Brawnfire posted:

I've always thought of chicken / turkey soup as something you do with leftover bird rather than something I'd buy a whole bird specifically to make.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Speaking of chicken, I tried that weighted roast chicken technique from BA, works p good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Stringent posted:

Speaking of chicken, I tried that weighted roast chicken technique from BA, works p good.

The BA chicken recipe I keep going back to is the slow-roast gochujang chicken. It's ridiculously easy (get a whole chicken. Slather it in a mix of gochujang, olive oil and garlic, and bake at 300 for 3 hours) and is delicious.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Stringent posted:

that is one spatched cock if you know what im sayin

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Just messing around with this one. Not really what I wanted to make during a humid summer day, but I had a SHITLOAD of mushrooms in the fridge and we’re going away for the long weekend so I needed to use them.

Sliced mushrooms, garlic, leeks, peas. Sautéd all in a little olive oil and crushed red pepper. Added some tomato paste. Added chicken stock, jar of tomato sauce, bring to a simmer and add the uncooked penne to the pot. Let the penne cook, kill the heat and add a bunch of spinach.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Entropic posted:

The BA chicken recipe I keep going back to is the slow-roast gochujang chicken. It's ridiculously easy (get a whole chicken. Slather it in a mix of gochujang, olive oil and garlic, and bake at 300 for 3 hours) and is delicious.

Bookmarked. I very, very rarely cook chicken but this has convinced me I should soon!

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
I can vouch for the gochujang chicken recipe, made it twice already since April, stupid simple and has come out moist and delicious each time. Built in potatoes for a side so you don’t even have to plan one

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It also just looks great. One of those recipes with a great effort:fancy-looking ratio.

The gochujang has enough sugar content that you get lovely crispy skin even though you're baking it low and slow.
You could probably get a similar effect using some other spice + oil + sugar mix, like you could may be substitute sambal oelek + honey if you can't find gochujang.

the potatoes always come out great because they've been cooking the shmaltz from the chicken.
I usually serve it with some other random veggie like broccoli or green beans or corn-on-the-cob or coleslaw.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Salmon burgers and waffle fries.

SomedoodIV
Feb 28, 2013

Speaking of soup earlier....

Got some chicken legs on the cheap!!!

Added some radiatore pasta since I had some left in a bag too for some extra goodness.

(Pusheen bowl just happened to be clean at the time)

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I'm not a big red meat guy, but I've been working on my reverse sear during quarantine. And I feel like this is the first one that ended up really good.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I made scones.

I put jam and cream on the still whole one after the shot, I just wanted a picture of how tall I got them. They were so soft and buttery.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Stringent posted:

Oh gently caress yeah.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

chile ancho, chile pasilla, some arbol chiles.. lots of garlic... paprika, black pepper, clove, ceylon cinnamon, coriander seed, cumin, salt, apple cider vinegar, and a tiny bit of ginger.

making chorizo, later added some lard because just shoulder by itself needed a bit of oil in the pan to get going, next time I will use 1/3 pork belly.

then the next day we made sopes

added some sour cream to the dough, it keeps them super moist

after cooking and cooling a little, you pinch them and get them ready to deep fry

toppings were refried black beans with avocado leaf, the chorizo, lettuce, queso fresco, salsa, sour cream, and guacamole

the salsa was serrano, tomatillo, onion, and cilantro... only boiled a few minutes to keep it as green as possible... and chicken bouillon for seasoning

the guacamole we ground up a raw garlic clove with salt in the mortar and pestle into a paste, then mashed in some avocado (this is the only correct way of making guac, BTW)

et viola!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A Sometimes Food posted:

I made scones.

I put jam and cream on the still whole one after the shot, I just wanted a picture of how tall I got them. They were so soft and buttery.

Is that whipped cream or clotted cream? The latter being one of the few things I've made and after eating it was like "This is far too delicious and unhealthy for me to ever consider making again" and thus have not.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Stringent posted:

Sister in law sent me this recipe for tomato bacon jam and it's fully sick, highly recommend: https://thecompletesavorist.com/tomato-bacon-jam

Saw this post, read the recipe, had everything needed to make it and immediately set to it. Didn't read the posts about reducing the sugar until it was too late, but I think it came out pretty well. It's sweet like bottled ketchup or BBQ potato chips, but way more flavorful. So far I've had it on triscuit crackers, as a dressing on sweet potatoes, and it was especially nice on hot dogs with dill relish and yellow mustard.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

cocoavalley posted:

Saw this post, read the recipe, had everything needed to make it and immediately set to it. Didn't read the posts about reducing the sugar until it was too late, but I think it came out pretty well. It's sweet like bottled ketchup or BBQ potato chips, but way more flavorful. So far I've had it on triscuit crackers, as a dressing on sweet potatoes, and it was especially nice on hot dogs with dill relish and yellow mustard.

Nice!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Steak, salad, and corn.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
We had some labor day grilling dreams that failed to come together, so something simple and nice for dinner: peanut stew and fonio with currants! I wanted a little extra heat so I also put on a few dribbles of Frakture's Haunted Harvest which is local and perfect for getting ready for autumn.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 8, 2020

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
drat, this is a good page!

Please enjoy my humble fritatta. It's arugala, chevre, and green onion.

Right out of the oven

Dressed

Waterbed Wendy fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 8, 2020

Zabba51
Aug 21, 2020

Idiot
Probably the best bavette cut I've had. Courtesy of Snake River Farms. Sinple pan sear with s&p. Finished in the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Love a nice bavette.