Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

CaptainCrunch posted:

I was feeling experimental. Bratwurst with gochujang mayo* and kimchi.

I was very happy with it.
*mixed my own with 2 parts Kewpie Mayo and 1 gochujang.

Will be doing this the next time I make brats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalTranslation
Jan 26, 2021

RadicalTranslation fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 26, 2021

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Bacon apple shallot pecan stuffing,
mash made with cream infused with chives, peppercorns and shallots,
corn with roasted shallot compound butter.
I like shallots.

Shoulda brined.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
My buddy who's a stellar cook made the most amazing grilled cheese for me the other day:

first he made some mayo

then a cilantro sauce, similar to chimichuri but with some added serrano and avocado, and some of the mayo added in for creaminess:

then he made the sandwiches with bacon, avocado, some type of fancy cheese, green sauce, and then the mayo used to grill the outside:

also served with some of this, the cheese isn't mozzarella, it was something softer that I can't remember the name.

mystes
May 31, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

also served with some of this, the cheese isn't mozzarella, it was something softer that I can't remember the name.

Burrata?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

mystes posted:

Burrata?

YES! It's good, same taste as mozzarella but more like cottage cheese inside.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Will be doing this the next time I make brats.

I am happy to be a bad influence.

When I get my pantry cleaned out to the point I can unearth my, heh, stuffer I believe I’m going to experiment with making a kimchi brat of some kind.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

LifeSunDeath posted:

This is what's on the inside.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stracciatella_di_bufala

I eat baby skin fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 24, 2021

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Excellent description! It’s great on salads the insides get everywhere like an soft poached egg yolk.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Eight more pieces where that came from (2 nori sheets total). 180ml Botan Calrose

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
It was getting pretty dark out, so this isn't the best picture. But this gorgonzola/spinach stuff potato was on point. Joining it are some meatballs and leftover spinach mixed with gochujang.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
It's the weekend so I made bread rolls for lunch

They were eaten with avocado, mustard and picked onions but I didn't get a photo.

At dinner time I was still full of bread so I made a small bowl of luosifen (river snail rice noodles). No snails in the bowl (the stock is made with snail meat and pork bones), just a very savoury, salty, spicy soup that is perfect for winter

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Greek style lamb burgers tonight. Had a bunch of Greek yogurt around so I whipped up a tzatziki. Ricotta salata is an excellent substitute for feta. Just discovered it a few months ago. For some reason feta bothers my wife’s stomach, but ricotta salata doesn’t.

Burger was a dead ringer for a delicious gyro. Only needed the pita instead of the bun. Nice to know I can make gyros too with essentially the same recipe.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Made some spicy butter chicken with raita.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Rice bowl with kimchi, thinly sliced pork, cucumber, egg, green onion, homemade pickled ginger, and furikake. So good I had it for dinner two nights in a row.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
This is my first real attempt at fried rice.

No wok, no fire, no joy. No rice cooker either. But I did have a bigass cast iron pan and time to leave it on the dumb electric burner until it got hot as hell.

Step one, make white rice. 1 cup rice, wash it off, put it in 1.5 cups of water, bring to boil, turn down to low & cover for 18 minutes, take off heat and keep covered another 15 minutes. Let it cool off and then put it in the refrigerator overnight.

1 big cast iron pan, hot as balls
Some canola oil
2 eggs

Fry up the eggs. Didn't bother whisking them, just broke the yolks and fried it up.

1 shallot, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped

Throw them in and stir around a bit, break up the eggs. Add a blob of chili garlic sauce.

Throw in the rice, fry it a while, constantly moving around. Splash in some soy sauce.

3 green onions, chopped and some marinated grilled chicken thigh meat thrown in at the very end. Stir around just enough to get it hot and get it out of the pan.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Bbq stuff

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Sunday - Wednesday in food:

Pasta with a bacon, truffle cheese and cream sauce, with a little bit of bitter leaf salad, topped with truffle infused cheese and truffle oil;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miso, mushroom and scallion soup; Mushroom sesame toast; Crispy seaweed with fried shimeji and enoki mushroom;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Portabello mushroom stuffed with serrano, feta, spring onion, and a panko crumb;

Rib-eye steak, butternut squash puree, charred red onion, shallot and chicory, and roast squash seeds.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

sean10mm posted:

This is my first real attempt at fried rice.

No wok, no fire, no joy. No rice cooker either. But I did have a bigass cast iron pan and time to leave it on the dumb electric burner until it got hot as hell.

Step one, make white rice. 1 cup rice, wash it off, put it in 1.5 cups of water, bring to boil, turn down to low & cover for 18 minutes, take off heat and keep covered another 15 minutes. Let it cool off and then put it in the refrigerator overnight.

1 big cast iron pan, hot as balls
Some canola oil
2 eggs

Fry up the eggs. Didn't bother whisking them, just broke the yolks and fried it up.

1 shallot, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped

Throw them in and stir around a bit, break up the eggs. Add a blob of chili garlic sauce.

Throw in the rice, fry it a while, constantly moving around. Splash in some soy sauce.

3 green onions, chopped and some marinated grilled chicken thigh meat thrown in at the very end. Stir around just enough to get it hot and get it out of the pan.

So I’ve found cast iron to work against you with fried rice due to the rough texture. I also recommend cooking the veg, then adding the egg and making a giant scramble before adding the rice. Another tip is to make your sauce and put in a squeeze bottle to add slowly to not steam everything.

One last tip is to look up Chinese sausage on Amazon and change your fried rice life.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

As I had it explained to me the goal to a good fried rice is to impart the flavor of your other ingredients and spices into the oil, and then use the oil to flavor the rice. So you should cook whatever you're going to cook (meat, veg, fish, spices, whatever) first, and add the rice last once the oil has absorbed the flavors of everything else.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

ColHannibal posted:

So I’ve found cast iron to work against you with fried rice due to the rough texture.

Maybe it's just my specific old cast iron boat anchor or whatever, but I didn't find this to be true at all. The rice didn't stick and the grains weren't torn up, and the second the rice hit the hot as gently caress iron I was like "oh poo poo that's the smell I wanted all along."

Like a wok over a fire is clearly the best for a long list of reasons, but at least cast iron can get arbitrarily hot even on a lovely electric stove if you wait long enough (or you can just bake the fucker at 500 lol), if you seasoned it right poo poo won't stick, and it holds enough heat that you can dump in ingredients and it will continue to fry instead of start steaming like will happen in lighter pans.

That's just what I've seen messing with different things though. The big problem with cast iron is it's awkward as poo poo and you can't quickly change the temperature of the thing because it retains so much heat (which just the flipside of its biggest advantage.)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Alex figured out a technique to get a reasonable level of wok hei-ness in his recent series of videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L5qBMtFXBs

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I feel like I nailed fried rice like once and have struggled to replicate ever since. I’m probably going to watch those ten videos chef Alex did and just start from scratch.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Kenji has a pretty good one iirc, and this guy here is pretty fun to watch too https://youtu.be/ZgdCMwDLhq0

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

sean10mm posted:

Maybe it's just my specific old cast iron boat anchor or whatever, but I didn't find this to be true at all. The rice didn't stick and the grains weren't torn up, and the second the rice hit the hot as gently caress iron I was like "oh poo poo that's the smell I wanted all along."

Like a wok over a fire is clearly the best for a long list of reasons, but at least cast iron can get arbitrarily hot even on a lovely electric stove if you wait long enough (or you can just bake the fucker at 500 lol), if you seasoned it right poo poo won't stick, and it holds enough heat that you can dump in ingredients and it will continue to fry instead of start steaming like will happen in lighter pans.

That's just what I've seen messing with different things though. The big problem with cast iron is it's awkward as poo poo and you can't quickly change the temperature of the thing because it retains so much heat (which just the flipside of its biggest advantage.)

I’d recommend a carbon steel skillet then. A lot of the same benefits for getting hot like cast iron, but will change temps better. And they’re lighter and what most good woks are made from anyway.

My cast iron does fine with rice and potatoes and sticky things too. It’s well seasoned and gets proper preheated before using. Makes all the difference. A cold cast iron pan will stick to almost every thing.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Jhet posted:

I’d recommend a carbon steel skillet then. A lot of the same benefits for getting hot like cast iron, but will change temps better. And they’re lighter and what most good woks are made from anyway.

My cast iron does fine with rice and potatoes and sticky things too. It’s well seasoned and gets proper preheated before using. Makes all the difference. A cold cast iron pan will stick to almost every thing.

The problem I find is thinner steel saute pans or whatever are great IF you have a gas stove. On a dumb electric stove food going in cools then off faster than the stove puts it back in.

Like I think a good steel wok on my electric stove would be mediocre too. When I had a gas stove it just made all cooling better/easier.

Basically I'm just saying gently caress my electric stove, really. t:mad:

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

sean10mm posted:

The problem I find is thinner steel saute pans or whatever are great IF you have a gas stove. On a dumb electric stove food going in cools then off faster than the stove puts it back in.

Like I think a good steel wok on my electric stove would be mediocre too. When I had a gas stove it just made all cooling better/easier.

Basically I'm just saying gently caress my electric stove, really. t:mad:

I'd suggest investing in a portable induction ring if all you've got as an option is electric then - it'll cook (and heat) a lot more like gas.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I made pizza.

Apparently I will never learn my lesson wrt topping homemade pizzas. I wanted this to be a pepperoni apocalypse and covered every inch but everything kinda settled and it's adequate but not as pepperoni-ed as I wanted. Used fresh basil and oregano from the garden and that's been nice.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Chicken with parsley sauce and a crêpe Parmentier.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

ColHannibal posted:

So I’ve found cast iron to work against you with fried rice due to the rough texture. I also recommend cooking the veg, then adding the egg and making a giant scramble before adding the rice. Another tip is to make your sauce and put in a squeeze bottle to add slowly to not steam everything.

Fried rice can work in a cast iron, you just have to get the cast iron very hot and swear at it while scraping the bottom vigorously. Somehow it all separates cleanly once it's done even though it sticks like a bastard while you're stirring it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Plating sucked on this one, and the bacon is a bit underdone, but drat this was delicious.

Lemon dill salmon, bacon wrapped shrimp, and grilled squash.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Eggplant parm-inspired bake

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We got a carton of padron peppers in our imperfect produce order, so I sautéed them in olive oil and coated liberally with kosher salt. Very tasty with a really good texture, though the heat would be too much for my wife.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

devmd01 posted:

We got a carton of padron peppers in our imperfect produce order, so I sautéed them in olive oil and coated liberally with kosher salt. Very tasty with a really good texture, though the heat would be too much for my wife.

I thought it was only like 1 in 10 that had any spice to them? I've never had a spicy padron. gently caress they are so good.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003

devmd01 posted:

I loving love padron peppers. They're amazing thrown onto a ripping iron plate.

Supper tonight was fish.

Pan fried salmon, on a bed of shimeji, button and enoki mushroom, scallion strips, braised in miso, soy, garlic, ginger and chilli, and then reduced down to a sauce... With a lump of laoganma on top.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Olpainless posted:

I loving love padron peppers. They're amazing thrown onto a ripping iron plate.

One table ordering padron/shishito peppers served this way at a restaurant causes the fun waterfall effect where suddenly half the room has a plate of sizzling peppers coming their way.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Thai Green Curry tonight.

Father-in-law dropped off a bunch of fresh veggies from his garden. Added some fried tofu for a little protein. Nice vegan dish.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Father-in-law dropped off a bunch of fresh veggies from his garden. Added some fried tofu for a little protein. Nice vegan dish.

that looks really good

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Recipe pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I don’t have anything written down, but let me think for a sec. Whenever I make Thai or Indian curries it’s usually because I have a bunch of veggies I’m trying to get rid of. I usually keep curry paste on hand. This whole thing just evolved from a bunch of trial and error

1 can of coconut milk
Sliced chili pepper or flakes
Diced onion
Minced ginger
Chopped garlic
Desired veggies
Green curry paste
Fish sauce
Lime juice
Turmeric powder
Sugar
Salt and pepper
Rice
Tofu

Cook rice.
Prepaid tofu however you like it.

“Crack the cream” of the can of coconut milk and sauté diced onion, chili pepper, ginger, and garlic until onions start to soften. If you don’t feel like cracking the cream, just sauté in some vegetable oil and add the coconut milk later. Add salt and pepper. Stir in curry paste and cook for a minute or so. Add the milk from the can of coconut milk and stir in. Bring to a simmer and taste for seasoning. Adjust flavor to taste with fish sauce, lime juice, turmeric, sugar.

Add veggies and simmer until softened slightly. Add water if the sauce begins to thicken too much. Taste for flavor.

Add tofu just before serving if it is fried. The sauce will make the coating mushy. Service over rice. Garnish with sliced scallion.