Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Drink and Fight posted:

Please fax me some of that.

I'm not good at faxing, did that work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
good god

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

iajanus posted:

28/12 is lasagne day

that is a drat fine looking lasagne

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:catstare:

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

wowza

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Oh forgot to post this for the bread people. I still haven't made these often but imo they always turn out great so here's the crumb etc.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Breakfast for dinner

Russets in bacon fat is my favorite goddamn carb load.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

iajanus posted:

28/12 is lasagne day

Good lord that looks amazing

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
So we decided to do sort of an asian theme for new year's, I made pork and shrimp siu mai, pork belly bao buns, and tonkotsu ramen... All from scratch except for the dumpling wrappers and ramen noodles cuz ain't nobody got time for that.

It was pretty tasty, but the real winner was those pork buns... holey shieet.

The siu mai had pork, shrimp, cabbage, oyster mushrooms, carrot, green onion, garlic, soy sauce, sesame seed oil, and egg, topped with fried garlic and brushed with the garlic oil after steaming.

The pork buns is just some lettuce, braised pork belly in soy, mirin, sake, water, garlic, and green onion. The little orange sauce is mayo, sriracha, sesame seed oil, gochujang, and some of the pork belly braising liquid.

Ramen was 12 hours of boiling pork neck, tail and half a trotter, some ginger, onion, and garlic in the last hour. Toppings were pork belly, soy-mirin-sake cured soft boiled egg, bok choy, enoki, nori, naruto, and some burnt garlic oil. The pork broth was seasoned with the pork belly braising liquid with some additional soy, and with some dashi made with water that had kombu soaking in it for a few hours.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 2, 2022

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

God drat bud

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

NLJP posted:

God drat bud

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

NLJP posted:

God drat bud

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

NLJP posted:

God drat bud

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ogarza posted:

So we decided to do sort of an asian theme for new year's, I made pork and shrimp siu mai, pork belly bao buns, and tonkotsu ramen... All from scratch except for the dumpling wrappers and ramen noodles cuz ain't nobody got time for that.

The siu mai had pork, shrimp, cabbage, oyster mushrooms, carrot, green onion, garlic, soy sauce, sesame seed oil, and egg, topped with fried garlic and brushed with the garlic oil after steaming.

The pork buns is just some lettuce, braised pork belly in soy, mirin, sake, water, garlic, and green onion. The little orange sauce is mayo, sriracha, sesame seed oil, gochujang, and some of the pork belly braising liquid.

Ramen was 12 hours of boiling pork neck, tail and half a trotter, some ginger, onion, and garlic in the last hour. Toppings were pork belly, soy-mirin-sake cured soft boiled egg, bok choy, enoki, nori, naruto, and some burnt garlic oil. The pork broth was seasoned with the pork belly braising liquid with some additional soy, and with some dashi made with water that had kombu soaking in it for a few hours.

Holy moly, this is fantastic

NLJP posted:

God drat bud

E: excellent wine choice too

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

A far less fancy chili fries

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

toplitzin posted:

A far less fancy chili fries

Also hella grand tbf

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

E: excellent wine choice too

So we went with an all California lineup to drink during the day
2017 silver oak cab
2018 papillon blend
2018 caymus cab
2018 sequoia grove cab

Unfortunately we could not find a 2018 silver oak in time, so I think that is why we declared the caymus the winner. 2016 and 2018 are great years for California IMO.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

All very good wines but no whites with that food? Did the cabs work with the ramen?

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Imo white would work grand with ramen but I'm just spitballing

We had systembolaget boxed wines for our various Christmas dinners though so what do I know :unsmith:

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
We didn't drink them with the food, just drank throughout the day... we had beer with the ramen

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I see the beer with the ramen which of course. I bet champagne would work too.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I see the beer with the ramen which of course. I bet champagne would work too.

Champagne sounds great, I might try that combo next time.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Yeah the 'white is only for apperitif and fish' is starting to die finally

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

ogarza posted:

That sounds like a lot of work but that looks delicious.

Heroine88
Dec 29, 2021

ogarza posted:

Holy gently caress I've never seen anything more beautiful before.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Was supposed to be cornmeal crusted tilapia but I couldn’t find the cornmeal in the pantry. No matter, we had plenty of Panko crumbs so I improvised and made my own breading for the egg white dip.

The broccoli didn’t turn out so well, I didn’t set a timer and was distracted by also cooking Mac n cheese. Plus, y know, parenting three kids.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Potate, cabbage, kielbasa casserole.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Well im done playing with my congee recipe, it's going in the spellbook. Here it is if anyone is interested. Thanks GWS for introducing me to the stuff in the first place it's become a regular in my home.

Dave’s Congee
Makes 2-4 big bowls prep time 20 min cook time 90 min
Porridge:
2 Chicken thighs
3/4 cups white rice (washed thoroughly)
6 cups purified water
2 tbsp minced ginger
2 green onions minced (white only reserve green for garnish)
1 TBSP better than bouillon low sodium chicken
- heat dutch oven on stovetop medium heat. Add a little oil. Salt and pepper chicken thighs and sear on both sides. Push browned chicken to the side before adding ginger and green onion (add more oil if chicken doesn’t produce enough fat). After aromatics are fragrant add rice, water, and better than bouillon.
- boil then reduce to simmer, cook uncovered for 90 minutes, stirring 3-6 times.
- remove chicken thighs, separate meat, and reserve for topping.
Toppings:
Soft Boiled Egg
-bring small pot to lowest boiling point. Add eggs remove in exactly seven minutes to 50/50 ice/water bath. Cut in half.
Shallot rings
- Thickly slice one to three shallots and break the slices into rings. Put these rings in cold water. Mix 4 tbsp white flour with salt and pepper. Dust rings with flour and fry in a thin layer of olive oil, flipping once with chopsticks before removing to paper towel and salting.

Also provide soy sauce, Worcestershire, hoisin, and hot sauce as guests desire

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Made some hella good chicken fajitas last night.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
Lunch rather than dinner, but stir fried chicken and veggies.

Minced thighs w/ soy, chilli, lemongrass, spring onion, MSG then made a random stir fry sauce.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Spinach, ricotta, mushroom, and salami pizza :)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

toplitzin posted:

Potate, cabbage, kielbasa casserole.

This looks great, do you have a recipe or any more info for this? I use all of these ingredients in fall and winter cooking but not quite in this way so I am curious.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Spinach, ricotta, mushroom, and salami pizza :)

Woah, nice!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Preheat oven to 350
Dice and boil a couple-few potatoes till Dirk tender.
Saute bacon and kielbasa till bacon crispy. (4 strips + 2 links) remove from pot/leave 3-4tbsp of farts in pot.
Fry cabbage (small head~3lb), onion(1-2), garlic (yes?) in the fat till starting to brown.
Add meats back.
Add breadcrumbs (half a cup?) Parsley/dill (uhhhh, couple tbsp dried), and some half n half (less than a cup.)
Dump into a casserole dish.
Top with cheese of choice. (I used sharp provelone)
Cover w foil and bake for 20m@350
Remove cover and bake for another 20 or so until brown.
Wait 10m if you can.

Also hot sauce or jalapenos with the veggies.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
next video game i play my character's gonna be named Dirk Tender

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Late but

NLJP posted:

God drat bud

That looks loving amazing

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Stringent posted:

next video game i play my character's gonna be named Dirk Tender

drat beat me to it. I had something different in mind though.

(Door kicked open, Zap Brannigan voice, badge in one hand waving finger with other hand)

“The names Dirk Tender, health inspector, and from the looks of that speed rack your goose is par-cooked mister!”

“This organic eatery isn’t licensed to operate! You hippies are serving up parsley, sage, rosemary AND CRIME! Not on Dirk Tenders watch!”

“Your sanitizer log reminds me of my relationship with my estranged son, in that neither one exists,” awkward pause, then, “Dirk Tender!”

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Had a bit of a baking day this evening, to make something for my wife to take on a double-shift tomorrow: A brie, spinach, and parmigiano puff pastry lattice.

Yesterday was risotto day, with a sundried tomato, chicken and basil risotto:

And, seeing as it should actually be illegal to NOT make arancini the day after:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Olpainless posted:

Had a bit of a baking day this evening, to make something for my wife to take on a double-shift tomorrow: A brie, spinach, and parmigiano puff pastry lattice.

Yesterday was risotto day, with a sundried tomato, chicken and basil risotto:

And, seeing as it should actually be illegal to NOT make arancini the day after:

Fantastic job