Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Smoked Mackerel Salad

Mince and Herb Ravioli, Roasted Tomato Sauce, Sweet Balsamic Glaze

Pork Belly Ramen

Tuna Ceviche rolled in Avocado

Pan Roasted Lamb, Fondant Potato, Carrot and Cumin Puree, Port and Blackberry Jus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Stangg posted:

Mmmm smeared poop!

loving fantastic food, dude/dudette!

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Ranter posted:

Mmmm smeared poop!

loving fantastic food, dude/dudette!

Yeah I'm really trying to work on my plating, I had the right concept for the ravioli but the glaze really didn't come out well.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Fondant potatoes are the bees knees btw. My favorite way to consume potatoes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Stangg posted:

Road rash dot jaypeg :popeye:

Made a big batch of oi sobagi cuz this extended winter sucks and I want crunchy refreshing summer foods already.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Buttermilk wings!

I can't believe I was out of paprika but oh well they still taste great.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Made enchiladas over the weekend. Mushroom, Oaxaca, and queso enchilado. Sauce is guajillo and pasilla negro.

Pre-bake

Post-bake

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

angor posted:

Made enchiladas over the weekend. Mushroom, Oaxaca, and queso enchilado. Sauce is guajillo and pasilla negro.

Pre-bake

Post-bake

Doing enchiladas for dinner tonight, can pretty much assure you will not be as gorgeous as those are.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Make sure to post them right under that goons so there's a really sharp contrast.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I made an attempt at modern plating tonight, it's a bit rough around the edges but at least everything was cooked perfectly and the flavours really worked well together (thought the radish was way too strong when I tasted it but it fit really well with the dish). I wanted to make a chive emulsion instead of the dijon mayo but I forgot to buy cheesecloth :(

Seared King Scallops, Pea Puree, Pickled Radish, Pan fried beetroot and almonds, Dijon Mayo and Micro Greens.

Stangg fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 17, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Your green spoon splooges are too big but otherwise it looks fine. Edit: the white splorts inside the green spoon splooges are kinda silly too.

That being said, I'd eat it.

If your radishes are too fiery, rinse em under hot water for a second after you slice. Also works if you wanna make super quick pickled onions.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Stangg posted:

I made an attempt at modern plating tonight, it's a bit rough around the edges but at least everything was cooked perfectly and the flavours really worked well together (thought the radish was way too strong when I tasted it but it fit really well with the dish). I wanted to make a chive emulsion instead of the dijon mayo but I forgot to buy cheesecloth :(

Seared King Scallops, Pea Puree, Pickled Radish, Pan fried beetroot and almonds, Dijon Mayo and Micro Greens.

I'm the Georgia O'Keeffe inspired plating.

Looks good, wish I could make something like that

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Republicans posted:

Buttermilk wings!

I can't believe I was out of paprika but oh well they still taste great.

My sweet gently caress that's some mighty fine looking fried chicken. Method?

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Tonight I decided to give my wallet a break and pulled some chicken breasts out of the freezer and used up the veg in my fridge from the week so far.

Chicken supremes sauteed in clarified butter, braised carrots, baked cucumber and a charred pepper puree (with a little kick).

The plating sucks but the food tasted good and the chicken breasts were perfectly cooked.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tried making chicken calvados tonight, and...I don't think I liked it. I don't know if it was the stringy, tendony boneless chicken drumsticks, the two cups of calvados, or the bland-rear end cream sauce, but it really didn't taste very good. :(

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Tried making chicken calvados tonight, and...I don't think I liked it. I don't know if it was the stringy, tendony boneless chicken drumsticks, the two cups of calvados, or the bland-rear end cream sauce, but it really didn't taste very good. :(

All of the above? If you're deboning a chicken leg, you really gotta make sure to get all the tendons out. I'm not sure I would want to deal with deboning a leg in most cases, that seems like way too much work for what you get.

That recipe seems terrible in general.

Edit: I'm kinda curious what made you choose that recipe over all the other poulet a la normandy/chicken calvados recipes on Google? All recipes pretty much routinely sucks in my opinion.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 19, 2018

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i made this tonight

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/greek-spaghetti-squash

its really good!! (:

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

The Doctor posted:

My sweet gently caress that's some mighty fine looking fried chicken. Method?

Whisk some of the buttermilk into the dredging flour so it's full of little bits. Otherwise it's a standard two-step breading method, or I guess one step since I soak the chicken in the buttermilk instead of just dipping it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

All of the above? If you're deboning a chicken leg, you really gotta make sure to get all the tendons out. I'm not sure I would want to deal with deboning a leg in most cases, that seems like way too much work for what you get.

That recipe seems terrible in general.

Edit: I'm kinda curious what made you choose that recipe over all the other poulet a la normandy/chicken calvados recipes on Google? All recipes pretty much routinely sucks in my opinion.

Agreed, Allrecipes really sucks. I go out of my way to avoid anything from there - WAY more misses than hits.

Judas Horse
Mar 24, 2018

ey im walkin simulator here
No pics but my first homecooked meal in a while (yay college!) was chorizo and scrambled egg...burritos? Wraps? With quick grilled corn tortillas.

I'm still not great at cooking but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. :)

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hi, I learned how to cook about a month ago, I didn't even know how to cook a burger until like the middle of March. I'm almost 30 and the last time I really cooked was back in 7th grade, discounting easy breakfast stuff like scrambled eggs and bacon, or those packages of PF Changs.

I've been using Binging with Babish, Food Wishes, and whatever I can find to replicate food I love from restaurants, movies, and games, with more successes than failures so far. I've saved hundreds of dollars already, too. I'm new to taking photos, and that will probably be really obvious.

Cacio e pepe, I learned how to make basic pasta from scratch, and the trick of using leftover pasta water as a sauce/thickener.

Meatball subs with provolone. I learned meatballs because they seem like a cheap easy food for weekdays. I also learned how to use a broiler. The bread was martin's hoagie rolls, i think they had some sugar baked in because they browned really nicely. One day I'll work up the courage to do the food wishes rolls from scratch.

Cheddar and broccoli soup. I've never made soup, I wanted to start using more veggies in my diet, and I wanted to learn to bake basic bread. I followed the soup recipe to the letter and made ENTIRELY too much, I ate soup for a week and still threw half of the initial batch out. Could have taken a bath in the stuff.

This was kind of an important dish for me because I really wanted to learn to tolerate onions. I've always been a big loving baby about them. so I halved the amount used in the recipe and sauteed them down to basically mush. But I liked them so much I could have snacked on them by themselves!

The bread was really tasty but also super dense and chewy. I think that was on purpose due to it's intended use, but it made me want to learn how to do a nice crusty sandwich loaf. So my plan is to do a deconstructed croque madame after i get breadmaking stuff. I want to replicate the one from the game FFXV:

sorry for longpost, just found this thread and ive been saving these up for a while to share somewhere.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
That cacio e pepe looks good. Binging with Babish is good poo poo. If you like pasta try his pasta aglio e olio. It too is good poo poo.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Matsuri posted:

That cacio e pepe looks good. Binging with Babish is good poo poo. If you like pasta try his pasta aglio e olio. It too is good poo poo.

i actually picked up parsley and lemons just an hour ago, I'll have another picture up later :)

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Nhilist posted:

Sorry for no post shucking shots, they were gone in moments. Best Blue points I have ever had.

omg those look so amazing.....now I want oysters. I'll probably get some this week and have a lovely evening with just me and some delicious mollusks. My husband hates raw seafood like this so they will be mine...mine...ALL MINE!!!!

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jinh posted:

Hi, I learned how to cook about a month ago, I didn't even know how to cook a burger until like the middle of March. I'm almost 30 and the last time I really cooked was back in 7th grade, discounting easy breakfast stuff like scrambled eggs and bacon, or those packages of PF Changs.

I've been using Binging with Babish, Food Wishes, and whatever I can find to replicate food I love from restaurants, movies, and games, with more successes than failures so far. I've saved hundreds of dollars already, too. I'm new to taking photos, and that will probably be really obvious.

Cacio e pepe, I learned how to make basic pasta from scratch, and the trick of using leftover pasta water as a sauce/thickener.

Meatball subs with provolone. I learned meatballs because they seem like a cheap easy food for weekdays. I also learned how to use a broiler. The bread was martin's hoagie rolls, i think they had some sugar baked in because they browned really nicely. One day I'll work up the courage to do the food wishes rolls from scratch.

Cheddar and broccoli soup. I've never made soup, I wanted to start using more veggies in my diet, and I wanted to learn to bake basic bread. I followed the soup recipe to the letter and made ENTIRELY too much, I ate soup for a week and still threw half of the initial batch out. Could have taken a bath in the stuff.

This was kind of an important dish for me because I really wanted to learn to tolerate onions. I've always been a big loving baby about them. so I halved the amount used in the recipe and sauteed them down to basically mush. But I liked them so much I could have snacked on them by themselves!

The bread was really tasty but also super dense and chewy. I think that was on purpose due to it's intended use, but it made me want to learn how to do a nice crusty sandwich loaf. So my plan is to do a deconstructed croque madame after i get breadmaking stuff. I want to replicate the one from the game FFXV:

sorry for longpost, just found this thread and ive been saving these up for a while to share somewhere.

People learning to cook and getting over being picky eaters are two of my favorite things to hear about, so thanks for the post.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Stringent posted:

People learning to cook and getting over being picky eaters are two of my favorite things to hear about, so thanks for the post.

Seconded! I love how much easier it’s gotten too. At first I would decide to make something, say chicken teriyaki or a curry. I’d have to go buy rice, the spices, the meat, the vegetables, and of course the pot to cook it in.

Now I have a nice selections of base ingredients and just need to buy veggies normally. I buy meat on sale and freeze it and for dinner I just decide on a protein and then figure out what to do with it.

Thanks for sharing your story and :justpost:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

:golfclap:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
:kimchi:
thanks all

Arrgytehpirate posted:

At first I would decide to make something, say chicken teriyaki or a curry. I’d have to go buy rice, the spices, the meat, the vegetables, and of course the pot to cook it in.
Yeah, this is the biggest hurdle. Triple checking ingredient lists at the grocery store, and the high cost of quality tools/cookware when on a budget. It's nice to just have staples like spices, milk, eggs, and rice ready to go.

I love my Victorinox chef knife, handles like a dream and the garlic I sliced for the aglio e olio was paper-thin. Absolutely worth the $30. On the other hand, I've been through 3 different thermometers trying to get deep frying down. First three were flip-out style digital pen things. One couldn't go high enough, the second was really slow, the third one was nice until I dropped it in the goddamn oil and it partially melted lol. This new fourth one is just an instant-read metal clip-on probe, so fingers crossed it doesn't somehow blow up when i try making copycat Panda Express beijing beef on Sunday.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 21, 2018

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
If you regularly deep fry, a candy thermometer like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_i=289808 will be invaluable. Cheaper ones seem to only go up to 400 degrees, but for the price they really are a great tool.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fenris13 posted:

If you regularly deep fry, a candy thermometer like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&pf_rd_i=289808 will be invaluable. Cheaper ones seem to only go up to 400 degrees, but for the price they really are a great tool.

also a good idea because i want to try making candy sometime, thanks!

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Some simple indulgence, chilli con carne with home made mini tortillas

Thai green curry from scratch, making the paste in my small mortar and pestle was such a ball ache that it prompted me to order a new bigger one, curry came out great though

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Disco Salmon posted:

omg those look so amazing.....now I want oysters. I'll probably get some this week and have a lovely evening with just me and some delicious mollusks. My husband hates raw seafood like this so they will be mine...mine...ALL MINE!!!!

Your husband is Missing. The. gently caress. Out.

All the oysters, all the time.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

MrYenko posted:

Your husband is Missing. The. gently caress. Out.

Oysters are disgusting salty slimy gross things that taste very bad. So no he's snot missing out.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Ranter posted:

Oysters are disgusting salty slimy gross things that taste very bad. So no he's snot missing out.

:wrong:
They're neither salty nor slimy. Maybe you got served some rotten ones or something.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Some of them are definitely pretty briney, so I'll disagree with you on them not being salty. Personally, I can take them or leave them. They're fine and I'll eat one if offered but it's nothing I'd seek out the majority of the time.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

West coast oysters for life. All the east coast and gulf ones taste like a cross between taint and the smell at low tide when all the rotting seaweed is exposed to the sun.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Well now I feel pretty lucky I've only ever had like one rank-rear end oyster

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Casu Marzu posted:

West coast oysters for life. All the east coast and gulf ones taste like a cross between taint and the smell at low tide when all the rotting seaweed is exposed to the sun.

Surprised we got into this derail and not a chili one

BTW you are wrong as hell and probably eating three day old gulf oysters in June or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I've only had oysters once but it basically tasted how the ocean smells, which is not good in my book.