Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

More budgetbyes inspired stuff. Savory coconut rice with lemongrass and chicken with water chestnuts and broccoli in dragon sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Liquid Communism posted:

More budgetbyes inspired stuff. Savory coconut rice with lemongrass and chicken with water chestnuts and broccoli in dragon sauce.

I’m going to have to try those Dragon Noodles and the other stuff on that site. Looks killer.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's a really solid basic sauce recipe.

The version I've been using is 3T demerara sugar (because I have a bunch to use up), 3T chili-garlic sauce (Huy Fong), 3T soy, 1t fish sauce, and a half inch or so of ginger, minced.

Reheats real nice too, I use it for meal prep.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Looks like breast meat. Why not thighs? Thighs>breasts. Fight me.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It was what I had thawed that needed eating. I don't pass up $2.50 per lb chicken tits.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Looks like breast meat. Why not thighs? Thighs>breasts. Fight me.

I've been saying this for years and my wife finally agrees with me, I think using thighs for chicken meatballs instead of breasts is what finally converted her. Meatballs from breast meat are far too dry and end up kinda spongy , whereas the fat from the thighs really makes for a much better texture

Monday night's meal was a portobello mushroom cap (I know it doesn't look like it but it's there!) stuffed with shrimp, onions, and garlic, topped with breadcrumbs and parsley and baked, with a side of buttery, garlicky, lemony angel hair with some extra shrimp filling

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Liquid Communism posted:

The version I've been using is 3T demerara sugar (because I have a bunch to use up), 3T chili-garlic sauce (Huy Fong), 3T soy, 1t fish sauce, and a half inch or so of ginger, minced.

I ended up trying the dragon noodles recipe and yeah, the big thing I took from it was that the sauce is really great. I've been making it just to throw it on other stuff or as a dip for veggies.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Felt like being a trash human and did chili dogs

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Casu Marzu posted:

To be clear, chili dogs are one of God's own foods and do not make you a trash human. It's the pre-shredded cheese and what looks like Hormel brand chili that make them trash. :colbert:

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Liquid Communism posted:

This does sound like a good, basic sauce for meal prep. Do you have a link to the original by chance?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

To be clear, chili dogs are one of God's own foods and do not make you a trash human. It's the pre-shredded cheese and what looks like Hormel brand chili that make them trash. :colbert:

It is pre-shredded cheese cuz I am lazy as gently caress. Thankfully, past me was ambitious enough to make extra chili for dogs and freeze some for future use. :colbert:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Good. :colbert:

For content, I made some merguez with Israeli-style hummus and harissa collard greens

Dessert was cream puffs with a sweet potato pastry cream filling.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress hormel, this is the one true hot dog chili

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Casu Marzu posted:

You finish those in the broiler? I’m usually a summer hot dog man but those are looking good.

Loco
Dec 6, 2006

Why is.. Those things?
Hipster toast aka avocado toast on homemade sourdough bread. Not pictured: the other two slices I accidentally

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

You finish those in the broiler? I’m usually a summer hot dog man but those are looking good.

Same, I usually only want a dog when it's shorts and cheap, ice cold beer weather but I had a craving. Finished em under the broiler until the chili and cheese got bubbly. Really hit the spot.

Loco posted:

Hipster toast aka avocado toast on homemade sourdough bread. Not pictured: the other two slices I accidentally

That's a nice lookin slice of sourdough

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Loco posted:

Looks delicious, just needs some crumbled feta and I'd be breaking into your home to steal it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Loco posted:

avocado toast

iajanus posted:

your home

Somebody doesn't understand the 2019 economic situation

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

TheCog posted:

I made sous-vide rack of lamb with honey roasted sweet potatoes and yogurt mint sauce

i say goddamn

SteelReserve
May 12, 2018
Some people seem to think dinner needs to be fancy. I disagree.

Here is what I ate last night:

Course 1: Can of condensed chicken broth.

Course 2: Can of Chef Boyardee Lasagna with a side of Can of Supersweet Corn.

Course 3: Cheap lettuce with a "vinaigrette" made of soy sauce and corn oil.

Course 4: Can of Chef Boyardee Mac and Cheese.

Course 5: Packet of milk chocolate M&Ms.

I can't keep doing this... it just feels wrong somehow.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm suffering some Poe's Law confusion

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Chef Boyardee ravioli is the superior Chef Boyardee :colbert:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Username post combo

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I made Salisbury steak, mashed potate, and braised green beans tonight.

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

toplitzin posted:

I made Salisbury steak, mashed potate, and braised green beans tonight.

I feel vindicated that after having grown up with "salisbury steak" being a TV dinner, the salisbury steaks I make now looks like yours do. This whole time I was afraid I was making something radically different from what I've been told to believe salisbury steak was. I finally know that what I make now is, for lack of better word, something approaching REAL salisbury steak.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Getting back into practicing for masterchef uk since applications open again soon.

Honey glazed duck breast with tomato cous cous

Stangg fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 24, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Anyone got a Salisbury steak recipe handy? Quickly googling around gave me lots of "start with 1 pack of onion soup mix".

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

That Works posted:

Anyone got a Salisbury steak recipe handy? Quickly googling around gave me lots of "start with 1 pack of onion soup mix".

It’s literally a hamburger eaten with gravy and mashed potatoes. Maybe you could argue that hand chopping the meat so it’s coarser than ground beef is more traditional?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Torquemada posted:

It’s literally a hamburger eaten with gravy and mashed potatoes. Maybe you could argue that hand chopping the meat so it’s coarser than ground beef is more traditional?

I guess really then was looking for a decent sort of canonical brown gravy from scratch recipe.

I've probably made it from accident via pan sauces but never really had a specific "brown gravy" recipe to refer back to.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

That Works posted:

I guess really then was looking for a decent sort of canonical brown gravy from scratch recipe.

I've probably made it from accident via pan sauces but never really had a specific "brown gravy" recipe to refer back to.

this one looks pretty good: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/salisbury-steak-53034491

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That Works posted:

I don't have a gravy recipe because I just make gravy by feel, but this is basically what I'd do.

Cook hamburger in pan, brown/caramelize sliced onions (and mushrooms if you like) in the fat. Remove. Add some butter if you need a little more fat, add some flour (2TBSP?), lightly brown the flour like a blonde roux. Add beef stock (2 cups? canned is fine), stir stir stir until it turns into gravy. It has to come to a boil to thicken. Cook down to make it thicker if it is too thin or add more stock to make it thinner. Add some tomato paste or Worcestershire sauce for more flavor, and/or Kitchen Bouquet if you really want it BROWN and it does add some flavor. Hungarian paprika is nice for salisbury steak I think, and black pepper and beef are best friends too. I'd put the onions/shrooms/hamburger back in for a few minutes to simmer a little and let all the flavors meld. You could add some sour cream or cream at the end if you wanted.

Mash some taters or serve with rice to sop up the gravy.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Braised lamb shank with carrots over rice.

It was extremely tender.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

It was extremely tender.

My 28 inch monitor has never looked more delicious.

Content:

This didnt end plating that well but was delicious

Brisket with pomme puree and red wine sauce

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

It was extremely tender.

ow my nose :(

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I don't have a gravy recipe because I just make gravy by feel, but this is basically what I'd do.

Cook hamburger in pan, brown/caramelize sliced onions (and mushrooms if you like) in the fat. Remove. Add some butter if you need a little more fat, add some flour (2TBSP?), lightly brown the flour like a blonde roux. Add beef stock (2 cups? canned is fine), stir stir stir until it turns into gravy. It has to come to a boil to thicken. Cook down to make it thicker if it is too thin or add more stock to make it thinner. Add some tomato paste or Worcestershire sauce for more flavor, and/or Kitchen Bouquet if you really want it BROWN and it does add some flavor. Hungarian paprika is nice for salisbury steak I think, and black pepper and beef are best friends too. I'd put the onions/shrooms/hamburger back in for a few minutes to simmer a little and let all the flavors meld. You could add some sour cream or cream at the end if you wanted.

Mash some taters or serve with rice to sop up the gravy.

Thanks for this and also the other recipe posted above!

That's more or less what I expected for brown gravy / Salisbury but wanted to just compare to something. I make my gravy without any recipes either really.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Posting my hand-pulled noods. Homemade chili oil and noodle recipe was ATK's. I wanted some more umami and meatiness so I made some smoked garlic shitakes for the top. They were freaking great.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Stangg posted:

Brisket with pomme puree and red wine sauce

drat that’s some good looking meat. Can’t wait for the weather to warm up so I can get my smoker going.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cleaning out the fridge. Leftover salad shrimp and cold rice = garlic ginger chili fried rice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Chicken Cobb Salad

Next time no soft eggs - the chicken, avocado, croutons and crisped chicken skin were plenty :)

e: oh yeah and bacon

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 25, 2019