Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Snorkzilla posted:

Chile rellenos are one of those dishes I love making and constantly try to improve with varying degrees of success. Yours look fantastic! Do you have a link to the recipe?

Sorry, almost missed this. I'm hooked on Serious Eats recently (as I guess a lot of sciency/modernist/spergy types on here are)- recipe is Kenji's here

E: Welp, top of page, here's a mushroom ragu and pappardelle I made recently, from which I learned that a thick ragu is not the best companion for pappardelle!

Reztes fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Reztes posted:

E: Welp, top of page, here's a mushroom ragu and pappardelle I made recently, from which I learned that a thick ragu is not the best companion for pappardelle!

I bet this tasted pretty goddamn good though.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Reztes posted:

Sorry, almost missed this. I'm hooked on Serious Eats recently (as I guess a lot of sciency/modernist/spergy types on here are)- recipe is Kenji's here

That sounds delicious. Any particular recipe for the ragu?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

I used a piece of lovely fish, but this is definitely a nice way to prepare it....
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/feb/07/ken-hom-fish-hot-sour-sauce-recipe

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

paraquat posted:

I used a piece of lovely fish, but this is definitely a nice way to prepare it....
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/feb/07/ken-hom-fish-hot-sour-sauce-recipe

Unf, that looks delicious and a great use for boring whitefish. Also I had no idea that people call peanuts “groundnuts”.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
That's the literal name for them in swedish (jordnötter), same in finnish (maapähkinät).

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

paraquat posted:

drat, time for me to make some more fish, that looks great!

Aunt Beth posted:

That sounds delicious. Any particular recipe for the ragu?

I don't think so. I looked over a few but basically just did minced onion, garlic & carrot in oil for a few minutes till soft, then cooked down mushrooms - I think I used 1lb white, 1lb brown/crimini and like 1/2lb oyster and shiitake- for maybe 15 minutes until most of their water was gone, deglazed with white wine, added some canned whole tomatoes and herbs (definitely thyme since I remember I missed pulling out some of the stems) and cooked on lowish heat for 1-2 hours.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
https://imgur.com/a/XLkhq

Fiancé is a vegetarian so no big roasts, just a big steak for me while I cook her a mushroom.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Christmas tradition in our house: pork shoulder ragú on gnocchi

My wife's invention: roasted tomato, mozzarella and fried caper salad

My MIL's tiramisu. I'd never seen how to do chocolate shavings at home before!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Pork crown roast with pecan apple stuffing

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Before:

After:

w/ au jus and horseradish, sauteed kale and mushrooms, smashed potatoes, shredded oxtail

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My daughter and I made ratatouille for Christmas dinner except the recipe used red peppers instead of tomatoes but it was delicious. No picture when it came out of the oven because I was out of the room and they started dishing up without me.

Pre-baking

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
first time making sushi/nigiri in a long time

spicy salmon skin, tuna, and salmon nigiri

spicy tuna roll, and salmon, avocado, cucumber roll

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Christmas Dinner 2017

Picked up a few recipes on a trip to Greece, a few more from the amazing French Laundry cookbook by Thomas Keller, some from Gordon Ramsay, Michel Troisgros and others and a few of my own devising. Lots of fun to make everything, and I really like pulling out all the stops at least once a year.

Took about 11 hours of prep and 4 hours to eat everything and drink four bottles of good paired wines.

Inspired by the trip to Greece; first amuse of hazelnut with shrimp and rosemary

Second amuse of pickled oyster, cucumber cappellini and *fake caviar. (Thomas Keller recipe)

First course; carrot puree with citrus confit, pan-fried spinach with sesame oil and lemon confit (recipe by Michel Troisgros)

Second course: Salmon parfait, cucumber 'soup' and tomato jelly with cream, chervil and *fake caviar (Alain Passard recipe)

Third course: Black and white sesame seed coated tuna with beetroot puree, spiced orange jellies and salad leaves. Inspired by a wonderful trip to Greece.

Fourth course: Pan fried foie gras with armagnac-flambéed granny smith apple and chocolate brioche, covered with fresh-shaved black truffle. (own recipe)

Fifth Course: Pan-roasted duck breast with cauliflower and thyme puree, sage sauce and chantarelle mushrooms. Shaved some more black truffle on after but forgot to take a pic. (own recipe)

Sixth course: Roe deer fillet with red wine sauce and braised shallots and squash. Only recipe that didn't quite work as the sauce split quite badly. (Thomas Keller recipe)

Seventh Course: Cheese plate. Clockwise; camembert soaked in calvados, young goats' cheese with truffle, Saint Augur blue cheese and Brie de Meaux

Eighth and Final Course: Granny Smith apple and vanilla butterscotch, prunes soaked in armagnac and Greek yoghurt. (Gordon Ramsay)

Also an hour to do the washing up because no dishwasher.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 27, 2017

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Pretty and looks delicious.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

Christmas Dinner 2017

Picked up a few recipes on a trip to Greece, a few more from the amazing French Laundry cookbook by Thomas Keller, some from Gordon Ramsay, Michel Troisgros and others and a few of my own devising. Lots of fun to make everything, and I really like pulling out all the stops at least once a year.

Took about 11 hours of prep and 4 hours to eat everything and drink four bottles of good paired wines.

Inspired by the trip to Greece; first amuse of hazelnut with shrimp and rosemary

Second amuse of pickled oyster, cucumber cappellini and *fake caviar. (Thomas Keller recipe)

First course; carrot puree with citrus confit, pan-fried spinach with sesame oil and lemon confit (recipe by Michel Troisgros)

Second course: Salmon parfait, cucumber 'soup' and tomato jelly with cream, chervil and *fake caviar (Alain Passard recipe)

Third course: Black and white sesame seed coated tuna with beetroot puree, spiced orange jellies and salad leaves. Inspired by a wonderful trip to Greece.

Fourth course: Pan fried foie gras with armagnac-flambéed granny smith apple and chocolate brioche, covered with fresh-shaved black truffle. (own recipe)

Fifth Course: Pan-roasted duck breast with cauliflower and thyme puree, sage sauce and chantarelle mushrooms. Shaved some more black truffle on after but forgot to take a pic. (own recipe)

Sixth course: Roe deer fillet with red wine sauce and braised shallots and squash. Only recipe that didn't quite work as the sauce split quite badly. (Thomas Keller recipe)

Seventh Course: Cheese plate. Clockwise; camembert soaked in calvados, young goats' cheese with truffle, Saint Augur blue cheese and Brie de Meaux

Eighth and Final Course: Granny Smith apple and vanilla butterscotch, prunes soaked in armagnac and Greek yoghurt. (Gordon Ramsay)

Also an hour to do the washing up because no dishwasher.

wow

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

kumba posted:

w/ au jus and horseradish, sauteed kale and mushrooms, smashed potatoes, shredded oxtail

oh poo poo.

also, that duck.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
First run from my new cookbook Taste and Technique from Naomi Pomeroy. This is milk braised pork shoulder, mushrooms with parmesan and carmelized kabocha. Good recipes, pretty simple with really good explanations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Anyone have a killer frittata recipe? Looking to add it to the NYD party menu. Thanks in advance and god bless

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My favorite breakfast egg thing:

Bacon and Leek Tart from Date Night In.

My second favorite is any strata ever. If that's within your parameters I'll dig up some recipes, including the one we just had for Christmas morning which was amazing.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
dinner last night: tuna three ways - seared with sesame seeds, nigiri, spicy tuna handroll w/ scallions

breakfast this morning: leftover taco meat salad w/ greek yogurt and salsa, topped with a fried egg

lunch was seared salmon rice bowl with avocado and cucumber

dinner tonight: made vegetable stock yesterday for lentil soup

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Made a proper lasagne - cooked the sauce for five hours on very low with pancetta, de-skinned Italian sausage and ground beef, made the bechamel and layered it with parmesan and mozzarella.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
We did Mexican for New Year's!

Everything made from scratch: refried pintos, corn flour tortillas, esquites, pico de gallo, guac, queso fresco (curdled with lime, it was amazing), Espolon margaritas, and tres leches cake.

I made the esquites and the cake, both of which were absurdly good (it was all absurdly good). Tres leches cake is possibly the most indulgent thing I've ever made.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Junior G-man posted:

Made a proper lasagne - cooked the sauce for five hours on very low with pancetta, de-skinned Italian sausage and ground beef, made the bechamel and layered it with parmesan and mozzarella.

No pictures of the layers??

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Phil Moscowitz posted:

No pictures of the layers??

Had to take it with and completely forgot. Next time!

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Happy new year! Went with some surf and turf for two for our New Years dinner.

Huge prime porterhouse from the Italian butcher.

First generation Sansaire... should probably get a newer model but hey it still works great!

Delicious! With fattier cuts like the porterhouse, I went with 131, also my SO is slowly getting closer to medium rare. Could cut this steak with just the fork. :btroll:

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 2, 2018

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Also made lasagna today

This was more quick and dirty though, with bechamel sauce as it's the only way I know to make it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Those lasagne both look delicious but next time please take a picture of the sauce and filling oozing between sheets of pasta so I can finish. TIA

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
We did chongqing chicken:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

overdesigned posted:

We did chongqing chicken:

This looks great, got a recipe?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Lots of pics incoming!

Did a bunch of cooking over the holidays.

Redneck Ranch Oyster Crackers
Fudge (the tiny container has 20 drops of pure capsaicin added, which was fun)
Cranberry Orange Walnut Bread
Browned Butter Sugar Cookie Dough with Star Wars Cutters
Salted Browned Butter and Tahitian Vanilla Bean Rice Crispy Treats (Smitten Kitchen's recipe + a scraped vanilla bean. These were loving incredible.)

Star Wars cookies of varying success. C-3P0 was unrecognizable, and the trooper looks very :smith: These seriously took more than twice as long as everything else combined. Really loving good though, and they were a huge hit.

Came back from visiting family for the holidays and decided to break out the first of this year's venison backstrap. Salted, peppered, wrapped in smoked hot copa, cooked sous vide at 130, cooled a bit then fried to crisp the copa. Served with a red wine demi glace.

Served with broiled asparagus and garlic fingerling potatoes. We were in the middle of a cutthroat game of Adventure Time Monopoly. Definitely in the top 5 things I have ever made.

For the final weekend of the long holiday, my fiance suggested doing Beef Wellington again. Sounded great, but I decided to finally make puff pastry from scratch for the first time. After about 5 hours (intermittent work) I was REALLY hoping it wouldn't be much better than store-bought raw puff, so that I would never justify the pain in the rear end ever again. Alas, that was not to be...

Test strip

It was so loving good... It wasn't just the dried out feeling, almost dusty(?) texture of purchased puff sheets. It was crisp, crumbly, MOIST and so buttery. I actually probably will make it again, and curse a lot while doing so.

Used it to make a standard Wellington

The layers didn't puff up very well on the Wellington, and I think it's because I didn't cook it hot enough. It was a big filet, that was still super cold, so I dropped oven temp down so the pastry wouldn't burn by the time the beef was done. I am assuming that the pastry dried/set before the moisture in the butter actually got hot enough to turn into steam. Any puff veterans have any advice?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I love your Star Wars cookies and would gladly gobble them up. I think they look great.

But god drat, that wellington!! Awesome work. Sadly, I can't help you on your puff pastry woes.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Human Tornada posted:

This looks great, got a recipe?

We started with this: http://thewoksoflife.com/2015/04/chongqing-chicken/

But made some changes to do it crispy fried style. The crispiness is key imo. For the cooking sauce we also added in some rice wine and balsamic vinegar.

Marinate the chicken thigh chunks (we used 2lb worth of bone-in-skin-on thighs and about 2x as much marinade as called for) in the marinade liquids (no cornstarch) then toss it in cornstarch and about 1tbsp white pepper. Shake off the excess with a fine mesh sieve, then deep-fry it in the wok for 3-4 minutes at 350F. Remove, dump oil, reserve a little bit to fry up the peppercorns and aromatics, then add sauce, then add chicken.

You could go with a bit more sauce than the recipe calls for, since the cornstarch crisp picks it up really well and stays crispy, and next time we'll add more scallion because it's a great flavor transporter. More aromatics too, really you can't go too wrong with "just add a crapload of ginger and garlic and peppers." The more peppers you break open, the hotter it'll be; we cracked five or six and it was pleasantly hot but not unbearably hot, obviously ymmv.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jamaican beef curry patties! Turned out pretty well. I am surprisingly only a little bit on fire given I used three Scotch bonnets when I made this batch. The secret to good flakiness is lard.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Doom Rooster posted:

Did a bunch of cooking over the holidays.
All of that looks incredible. I love the Star Wars cookies. The imperfections make them cuter, if anything.

As far as your puff pastry problem, my first thought is to do the same as I do for roast chicken to get that crispy skin: preheat to 425, then turn down to your baking temp and put the wellington in the oven. The initial blast of heat should give it plenty of rise, then the lower heat should cook the roast through. In theory. I might be totally misguided and wrong here.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I made breakfast!

English muffin
Tomato slice
American cheese
Fried egg
Thick cut pepper bacon

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Bacon cheese burgers from last night. Meat is 25% ground pork, 75% beef with mustard, sautéed onions and garlic and spices. With pickles, tomato, lettuce, mayonnaise and ketchup.

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 6, 2018

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Tomorrow is my wife's name day (Greek thing) and we've had a really difficult week, so I made some surf and turf, with a side of parsnip puree. I need to up my photography and plating game, it looked (and tasted) a lot better than it did in this picture. One of the lobster tails did curl up under the broiler and wouldn't stand up, though.

edit: now with 100% more thumbnail

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 8, 2018

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008
Got some really nice Chinook salmon from our local fishmonger this weekend, along with some maple bacon (not from the fishmonger). I decided to try wrapping the salmon in the bacon. It worked pretty well! Put it together with a pea purée, pan-roasted brussels sprouts and potatoes (something like a fingerling crossed with a Yukon gold) and a rosemary garlic aioli. Been working on my plating, not so much my photography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I made a big pan of roasted veggies and put them in the fridge to heat up with proteins for the next 2-3 meals.

Zucchini, sweet potatoes, potatoes, pinions, green pepper, butternut squash and carrots. Tossed in parsley and olive oil and sea salt.

Cooked at 450 for 40 minutes and I took it out at 20 and stirred them.