Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Made some creamy chicken enchiladas. Sorry for remembering to take the pic after starting to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Anyone have a killer frittata recipe? Looking to add it to the NYD party menu. Thanks in advance and god bless

Here's what I do for 3-4 people:

Large Cast Iron skillet
Slice 2-3 large onions.
Sweat them in butter with a splash of olive oil until very soft. Salt if you like but go easy.
Add a minced clove of garlic and push the onions to the side.
Turn down to a simmer, add a drained can of tomatoes and cook down a bit. Keep the tomatoes and onions separate in the pan.
While the tomatoes are cooking down, crack 6-7 eggs (cold!!!) into a nice mixing bowl and add a little salt and a lot of black pepper. Go easy on the salt as the tomatoes are pretty salty.
Add about 3/4c of shredded Parmesan (not bagged).
Take your sweated vegetables and whisk them into the egg mixture in the bowl. Do it quick and you won't pre-cook the eggs.

Turn on your broiler to high.
Take your now empty pan, wipe it clean. Throw a whole stick of butter in it and heat slowly until the butter is just starting to foam. Yes, this is an irresponsible amount of butter.
Turn the heat to medium and pour in your egg mixture. Smooth it out a bit and let it cook until the bottom just starts to set.
Place fresh basil lovingly on top. The more the better but don't go nuts with it.
Throw a good handful of Parmesan on top and chuck it under the boiler for a minute or two. Be careful here, the cast iron retains a lot of heat and the broiler cooks fast.

Let rest about 10 minutes. Cut and serve.
When available, use Vegeta instead of salt.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Pork, chickpea salad and mexican-style potato salad.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Aw man its been a long time since I've had chickpea salad. That all looks good as heck.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Started a jar of purple kraut tonight. 3 weeks or so and it'll be edible.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What's the diff between purple kraut and red cabbage?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ranter posted:

What's the diff between purple kraut and red cabbage?

It's just sauerkraut made with red cabbage, 2.5% by weight kosher salt, and some caraway seed.

Edit: Phone posting is terrible.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 14, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
if its napa cabbage then where did the color come from? Napa aka chinese cabbage isn't red/purple.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's red cabbage. I'm not sure why my phone autocorrect threw in Napa there, probably because that's the last kind I typed.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Not really sure what this is, it's one of those meals when you don't really have a lot of ingredients and just cobble something together from what you dfind. I fried rice in oil and spices before adding water. Meanwhile in the pan I sauteed onions, garlic, bell pepper, carrots, then everything got mixed together in the pan and sprinkled with some roasted/fried onions. Kids liked it, turned out pretty good in my own estimate as well.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
It's a pilaf!

Top it with an egg or some leftover meat and you have dinner. Looks great.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

I'm loving all these sushi posts. Do you have to use fish marked as "Sushi Grade" or just any frozen fish?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I stick to wild caught fish for sushi since those are iced immediately

I go to our local fishmonger and generally ask what was in their most recent delivery and go from there, definitely would not trust supermarket fish or anything farmed

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doc Walrus posted:

I'm loving all these sushi posts. Do you have to use fish marked as "Sushi Grade" or just any frozen fish?

Sushi grade has no legal meaning. And pretty much anything you buy in a store was flash frozen on the boat. It needs to be flash frozen to kill parasites. Make sure it smells fresh, like the ocean but not fishy.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Doc Walrus posted:

Don't use fresh water fish, either.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Schnitzel and assorted salads, including German-style potato salad with capers.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Hob_Gadling posted:

Want

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Hob_Gadling posted:

oh...

that looks amazing! I do love a good schnitzel!!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Hob_Gadling posted:

YES YES.

Did you squeeze some fresh lemon juice on that bad boy? And what kind of meat was it? Veal, pork, or chicken?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chicken breast stuffed with garlic and rosemary diced mushrooms, spinach, and Muenster cheese, roasted broccoli, and twice-baked potatoes.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
[homer_drool.gif]

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Japanese-inspired roast beef. No oven necessary, just a pot filled with dashi stock, soy sauce, and dry vermouth (my substitute for sake and cooking wine). First time I made it, it came out rare, but this was the perfect texture.

I got the recipe from here, it's ridiculously easy to make: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wLrpOhqbJc

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Made baked beans according to this recipe. Been binge watching this guys cooking stuff, quite interesting with the old timey cooking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckELeAo-Lzo

Despite doing all the fart-avoidance tips I'm still tooting today.

Also made a blueberry(bilberrry) pie earlier, using berries picked from the forest, super simple traditional recipe:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Burged.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Last night I made a frozen pizza where the instructions said to pre-heat the oven to 415° and I get mad every time I think about it. Like, where the gently caress do you get off not baking at a temp divisible by 25? Ooooooo, look at me, I'm special!

Goddamn fancy-rear end bitch pizza.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Republicans posted:

Last night I made a frozen pizza where the instructions said to pre-heat the oven to 415° and I get mad every time I think about it. Like, where the gently caress do you get off not baking at a temp divisible by 25? Ooooooo, look at me, I'm special!

That's odd, never seen that.

Although I bake wings in the oven at 420 not because of :420: but because that seems to be just at the line where the fat smokes.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Republicans posted:

username post combo

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

kumba posted:

username post combo

I was going to make a crack about how the temperature rounds out in Celsius but it turns out that 415F is about 213C. :shrug:

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

Ranter posted:

Did you squeeze some fresh lemon juice on that bad boy? And what kind of meat was it? Veal, pork, or chicken?

Lemon is mandatory, makes it so much better. And I prefer my schnitzels pork.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
I made me some Shepherd's Pie! May not look like much but drat it was tasty.

Before oven:

After oven:

Served:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

blixa posted:

Before oven:

After oven:

Served:

Ooh that looks delicious! Got a recipe?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

blixa posted:

Before oven:

After oven:

Served:

Looks good, but broil that poo poo yo! The crispy brown top part is the best.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Awww yis. I think it's been like...five years since I've eaten shepherd's pie. I really need to make some.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

iajanus posted:

In before "That's not Shepherd's pie!" after recipe posted

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

iajanus posted:

I use Alton's recipe with a slight variation (I like to add a little white wine with the chicken stock). I also messed up and forgot to put the egg yolk in the mash, so I just brushed the top with it instead.

The Midniter posted:

Looks good, but broil that poo poo yo! The crispy brown top part is the best.

Didn't even occur to me to do that. Next time!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Where do you source your shepherd from and how much does it cost?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

pizza!

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Ranter posted:

Where do you source your shepherd from and how much does it cost?

Wales or New Zealand. Generally caught wild, hunting license fee is pretty low.

Edit:

Tonight I made some beef tenderloin (sous vide, finished on grill) with Kenji's roast potatoes, cognac cream sauce, and broccoli. I missed out on the last two weekends due to illness so gently caress it, went posh. Goddamn licked my plate clean.

blixa fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
soup