Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

how'd you do those sides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That has to be a kitchen torch post sous-vide judging by the even gradient and thin crusting. Looks really good!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
No sous vide or torch, I'm just a wizard with a nonstick pan I guess? This was the thickest cut I think I've ever cooked, it was a 1.5lb ribeye that was probably 1.5" thick

My method: about 2 hours before cook time, take the steak out, pat it dry, liberally apply kosher salt, set on a wire rack in the fridge. When the time comes, I pat the steak dry again, apply more kosher salt and pepper. Half a stick of salted butter into my pan on very high, steak goes in when it's melted. Sear that side for about 2 minutes, then sear all the edges. While the edges are searing, I throw in a sprig of rosemary and a few smashed garlic cloves. Afterwards, with steak now on the last remaining unseared side, spoon the butter over it constantly until that side is done, then form a makeshift bed out of the rosemary and garlic cloves and put the steak on top of it. Thermometer goes in with the alarm set to 123F, then into the oven at 275F until it's done. Take it out, spoon the butter over it one last time, rest for 10 minutes, consume.

The asparagus is done in the oven @ 400 for about 15 minutes with just salt/pepper/crushed red pepper/olive oil, then I add some grated parm and throw it under the broiler for a minute

Mushrooms & onions just in a pan with oil/salt/pepper/crushed red pepper, then add some balsamic to the pan after 7-8 minutes of cooking, and just cook until the liquid disappears and they get nice and brown

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kumba posted:

No sous vide or torch, I'm just a wizard with a nonstick pan I guess? This was the thickest cut I think I've ever cooked, it was a 1.5lb ribeye that was probably 1.5" thick

My method: about 2 hours before cook time, take the steak out, pat it dry, liberally apply kosher salt, set on a wire rack in the fridge. When the time comes, I pat the steak dry again, apply more kosher salt and pepper. Half a stick of salted butter into my pan on very high, steak goes in when it's melted. Sear that side for about 2 minutes, then sear all the edges. While the edges are searing, I throw in a sprig of rosemary and a few smashed garlic cloves. Afterwards, with steak now on the last remaining unseared side, spoon the butter over it constantly until that side is done, then form a makeshift bed out of the rosemary and garlic cloves and put the steak on top of it. Thermometer goes in with the alarm set to 123F, then into the oven at 275F until it's done. Take it out, spoon the butter over it one last time, rest for 10 minutes, consume.

The asparagus is done in the oven @ 400 for about 15 minutes with just salt/pepper/crushed red pepper/olive oil, then I add some grated parm and throw it under the broiler for a minute

Mushrooms & onions just in a pan with oil/salt/pepper/crushed red pepper, then add some balsamic to the pan after 7-8 minutes of cooking, and just cook until the liquid disappears and they get nice and brown

That's an incredible lack of gradient for a pan steak, good work! I am a dumb and bad cook for presuming.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

VelociBacon posted:

That's an incredible lack of gradient for a pan steak, good work! I am a dumb and bad cook for presuming.

Thank you :)

I was really worried by the end of cooking time that the gradient would be terrible but I was pleasantly surprised!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Pasta puttanesca.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
crab boil for the fourth

e: vv

it was real good

kumba fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 5, 2018

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

That crab looks stellar.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Buns stuffed with ham, cheddar, spring onions and pickle. I used a baked char siu bao dough recipe.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Lazy winter slow cooking today. Veal osso bucco in a red wine and vegetable sauce. Had it with some delicious sourdough as it was very juicy and fell apart trivially.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
xpost from SV thread. I had steak

sterster posted:

Guys, I don't know why I didn't think about this sooner. Took my cast iron out to the gas grill and got her ripping hot. One of the best sears I've done. Anywho, these were some massive 2" thick Ribeye that I picked up for 5.70/lb and the picture is half of 1 Ribeye. I didn't even finish my portion.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I'd like to submit an entry for the 'ugly but crazy delicious food' club.

Had some leftover injera, toasted it with a bit of butter. Made a sauce with onion, garlic, tomato, guajillo, berbere, splash of acv, teaspoon of honey. Then did a bastardized Ethiopian chilaquiles thing:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
D-d-d-d-double post!

Roasted cauliflower (tomato paste, olive oil, onion powder, garlic granules, oregano, pepper, salt, parmesan) over polenta.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

First time attempting crispy shredded beef.

Didn't get the pan hot enough to properly crisp the beef but the flavour was gorgeous.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Angel hair w/ scallops, fried basil, and butter topped with parsley and capers

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I want to eat all your food

e: directed at everyone in particular

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

kumba posted:

Angel hair w/ scallops, fried basil, and butter topped with parsley and capers

Ugh. I had scallops with lemon and capers last night too. The wife and I are on a diet though, so roasted broccoli instead of pasta. It was delicious, but there is something about pasta and scallops together... I was already missing the pasta, then you had to go and post this...

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I've always wanted to make injera, is it worth doing?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
One day I made Jambalaya for a friend's BBQ

Then later I made Cheesy Jalapeno Chicken (found on pintrest), Cilantro Lime Rice, and Cinnamon Sugar Nutella Donuts (also pintrest).

My uncle and mom went nuts the next day for the donuts, they cooked like 10 with the dough I made, morning to night. My aunt thought they went mad. Light and airy and the sugar crunch was great.

https://bakerbynature.com/nutella-cinnamon-sugar-doughnuts/

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gatts posted:

One day I made Jambalaya for a friend's BBQ

Then later I made Cheesy Jalapeno Chicken (found on pintrest), Cilantro Lime Rice, and Cinnamon Sugar Nutella Donuts (also pintrest).

My uncle and mom went nuts the next day for the donuts, they cooked like 10 with the dough I made, morning to night. My aunt thought they went mad. Light and airy and the sugar crunch was great.

https://bakerbynature.com/nutella-cinnamon-sugar-doughnuts/

Looks amazing, I need to get a candy/grease thermometer.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

tarbrush posted:

I enjoy it!

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

I made ribs. They were pretty good.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I had leftover meatballs and wanted to make pizzas tomorrow, so I mead bread too.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

^^^ yaaaaas

Mine: first time making or eating anything with Sichuan peppercorns. Oh my God I've been missing out.

Kung Pao tofu with eggplant. Celery for texture. Peanuts because peanuts.

No dried hot peppers because I misremembered what was in our pantry, but sriracha did the job OK.

Y'all. I'm a changed person.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

^^^ yaaaaas

Mine: first time making or eating anything with Sichuan peppercorns. Oh my God I've been missing out.

Kung Pao tofu with eggplant. Celery for texture. Peanuts because peanuts.

No dried hot peppers because I misremembered what was in our pantry, but sriracha did the job OK.

Y'all. I'm a changed person.

Just to make sure, you're toasting and grinding the prickly ash (Szechuan peppers) before adding it to the dish and not just throwing in the whole pepper. I love it as well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Very good buns, KA sourdough buns recipe. Chicken needed more jerk tho

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

VelociBacon posted:

Just to make sure, you're toasting and grinding the prickly ash (Szechuan peppers) before adding it to the dish and not just throwing in the whole pepper. I love it as well.

It's a Kenji recipe that calls for 1 Tbsp whole infused into hot oil then filtered out. Veggies are stir fried in said oil. At the end, just before adding sauce you take another 1 Tbsp, grind, then stir in.

Comments on his recipe said that Sichuan peppercorns can vary wildly in strength so I tried scant tablespoons and it worked well for a good, interesting, not novocain-level numbing. I'll probably go full amounts in the future.

e: I'll try toasting them before grinding next time!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 13, 2018

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

tarbrush posted:

Yes but don’t try to make if with pure teff first, it’s tricky and you have to get used to it, and it’s easier if you mix it with flour.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

VelociBacon posted:

Toasting and grinding is an American thing. It's fine, but if you want to make it the way they do here in Sichuan, you toss in a handful of them whole. Or two handfuls. Or a pile of branches of the fresh ones, depending on what you're making. You don't grind Sichuan pepper unless it's being added to a mix like five spice, and they don't toast spices here (which may have something to do with how hot a wok is to begin with).

The strength does vary, and there are at least three different types of Sichuan pepper. I haven't done a side by side comparison, though I got bags of each. The numbing effect is something you build a tolerance to if you eat it often enough. After four years living in Sichuan I have to chew on a small handful of them straight to get even a little tingle.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 13, 2018

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Toasting and grinding is an American thing.

Toasting spices is not an American thing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Toasting spices is not an American thing.

context isn't either i guess

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x31D40mTnz4

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

context isn't either i guess

My statement was in context with his you're just a dumb-rear end.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

My statement was in context with his you're just a dumb-rear end.

quote:

they don't toast spices here (which may have something to do with how hot a wok is to begin with
gently caress off dipshit

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

lol what the poo poo is going on in here

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Casu Marzu posted:

lol what the poo poo is going on in here

things are getting... heated

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Grand Fromage posted:

After four years living in Sichuan I have to chew on a small handful of them straight to get even a little tingle.

What the gently caress dude

I decided to chew on one single one as an experiment after hearing you

I thought I was going to die

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's not hyperbole. It felt like my throat was closing up...

Somebody start a new youth social media challenge

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Haha wow things are pretty spicy in here. Anyways I routinely put whole Sichuan peppercorns into all sorts of poo poo. I made kung pao oyster mushrooms the other day and put a bunch of whole peppercorns in there. Great stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I've been experimenting with these 'Chinese' pork meatballs that are pan fried then finished in chicken stock with whatever stuff you have around. This time the meatballs contained the whites of green onions, ginger, white pepper, sesame oil and soy sauce. Then I tossed in some mushrooms before finishing with stock, bok choy and cilantro. I think the original recipe I saw called these Lion's head soup.