Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I need to get some flat skewers like those. Hate those wooden ones. Food just spins on them whenever you flip it.

Use two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I got these guys, and they're freakin' great. No food spinning, and if you're going an open flame instead of on grill grates, the base is set up so that you can do quarter turns. Even if you're just putting them straight on the grill, they're pretty much as good as a skewer can be.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FZAVU6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Doom Rooster posted:

I got these guys, and they're freakin' great. No food spinning, and if you're going an open flame instead of on grill grates, the base is set up so that you can do quarter turns. Even if you're just putting them straight on the grill, they're pretty much as good as a skewer can be.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FZAVU6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These look like they’d work well for me. I’ve tried using two wooden skewers in the past and each time they end up spreading out too far at one end somehow and then my food is spring loaded.

For some reason I just have trouble with the highly advanced technique of cooking food on a stick.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Can I interest you in some Chicken Tortilla Soup?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Or some massaman curry?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Or some mushroom miso soup over soba noodles w/ scallions and rayu?

yu choy is a favorite new discovery, those leaves are super tasty and the edible flowers taste like broccoli!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

kumba posted:

Or some mushroom miso soup over soba noodles w/ scallions and rayu?

yu choy is a favorite new discovery, those leaves are super tasty and the edible flowers taste like broccoli!

Ah man I hate when a story turns tragic at the very end.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

That Works posted:

Ah man I hate when a story turns tragic at the very end.

George H.W. Bush parachute account found.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

The clam fairy gave me a special delivery today.

Let’s get something going!!!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I love peesha too.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Too drat good.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
If you eat the shells you'll get to live up to to your name.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

EdwardSwifferhands posted:

If you eat the shells you'll get to live up to to your name.

Will try this and report back tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

toplitzin posted:

Can I interest you in some Chicken Tortilla Soup?

I'm very interested in a recipe

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I had some pizza dough, but didn't want pizza. These are cheesy onion rolls with dill & chives. pardon the phone pic

I used 2 of those to make a really life-changing tri-tip sandwich.

e: and by life-changing, i mean i should probably see a cardiologist

Totally Reasonable fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 22, 2019

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

toplitzin posted:

I love peesha too.

I usually hate the 'dog voice' poo poo but this one is very funny and I keep thinking about it, so thanks for a nice funny picture.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

fart store posted:

I usually hate the 'dog voice' poo poo but this one is very funny and I keep thinking about it, so thanks for a nice funny picture.

The voice at least has a reason in this one because of he squishy face

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm very interested in a recipe

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/slow-cooker-chicken-tortilla-soup-all-the-fixings-recipe.html

Except I used the pressure cooker and my own chili powder blend.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Hey, y'all. I cooked some summery stuff.

Arepas with Tofu-Lemon Cream/Avocado/Sautéed Zuccs/Pepitas; Fresh Tomatoes and Herbs

Boring, Standard Hummus with Marjoram, Rosemary, and Pecans

(Homemade) Herb Focaccia and Pistachio Butter

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Those are all beautiful

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Keret posted:

(Homemade) Herb Focaccia and Pistachio Butter

You mind hitting us with that recipe? Thanks.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

Resting Lich Face posted:

You mind hitting us with that recipe? Thanks.

Sure thing!

The focaccia is Kenji's (I swapped herbs for what I had growing and didn't add pistachios because they went into the butter): https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/02/easy-no-knead-olive-rosemary-pistachio-focaccia-kenji-recipe.html

As for the pistachio butter, it's effectively the same procedure as making tahini and is pretty straightforward, but requires a high-speed blender or food processor and some patience. It can be scaled to whatever you want, provided there is quantity enough to blend; you'll get back as butter about half the mass you put in. (For mine, it was 2 cups raw nuts -> ~1 cup nut butter)

- Preheat oven to 350F
- Put 2 cups (or more) raw, unshelled pistachios into a baking sheet, and roast for 5-6 minutes, tossing halfway so they are evenly toasted/don't burn
- Add to a high-speed blender or food processor (I used a Vitamix). Blend until they finally break down and turn from gritty sawdust into a pliant butter. This will take a while and you'll have to pause regularly to scrape the mixture down the sides back to the blades. Expect ~3 minutes total in a Vitamix, or ~10 minutes in a food processor. Optionally, add a tablespoon of liquid sweetener of choice (honey/agave/molasses depending on your tastes), but I found the butter really rich and pleasant on its own, unsweetened.

It might seem like they are never going to give up their oil and turn into a paste, but have faith because they will eventually and the butter is insanely good (provided you like pistachios). It'll last about 3 weeks in the fridge, but my partner and I steamrolled through an entire cup of the stuff in a day and a half. :v:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Keret posted:

Sure thing!

The focaccia is Kenji's (I swapped herbs for what I had growing and didn't add pistachios because they went into the butter): https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/02/easy-no-knead-olive-rosemary-pistachio-focaccia-kenji-recipe.html

As for the pistachio butter, it's effectively the same procedure as making tahini and is pretty straightforward, but requires a high-speed blender or food processor and some patience. It can be scaled to whatever you want, provided there is quantity enough to blend; you'll get back as butter about half the mass you put in. (For mine, it was 2 cups raw nuts -> ~1 cup nut butter)

- Preheat oven to 350F
- Put 2 cups (or more) raw, unshelled pistachios into a baking sheet, and roast for 5-6 minutes, tossing halfway so they are evenly toasted/don't burn
- Add to a high-speed blender or food processor (I used a Vitamix). Blend until they finally break down and turn from gritty sawdust into a pliant butter. This will take a while and you'll have to pause regularly to scrape the mixture down the sides back to the blades. Expect ~3 minutes total in a Vitamix, or ~10 minutes in a food processor. Optionally, add a tablespoon of liquid sweetener of choice (honey/agave/molasses depending on your tastes), but I found the butter really rich and pleasant on its own, unsweetened.

It might seem like they are never going to give up their oil and turn into a paste, but have faith because they will eventually and the butter is insanely good (provided you like pistachios). It'll last about 3 weeks in the fridge, but my partner and I steamrolled through an entire cup of the stuff in a day and a half. :v:

Gonna make hummustachio

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Keret posted:

Hey, y'all. I cooked some summery stuff.

Arepas with Tofu-Lemon Cream/Avocado/Sautéed Zuccs/Pepitas; Fresh Tomatoes and Herbs

I’m going to give this one a try.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This has been a good page :five:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

I've got some dregs of stuff to eat up so I made a pile of naan with some minced garlic and turmeric tossed in, just for fun.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Gonna make hummustachio

Oh man, that sounds great. Report back with your findings, because I've blown through my pistachio budget (such as it is) for a while.

This is beautiful.

Sex Hobbit posted:

I've got some dregs of stuff to eat up so I made a pile of naan with some minced garlic and turmeric tossed in, just for fun.

As is this!

-----

So, not to derail us with nut butter chat, but I had to try something else. Today was round two, with Maple-Pecan Butter. It's so good, y'all. I'm foreseeing it spread over cornmeal pancakes with some apples, or such like...

Technically I had it for dinner, so it counts. :colbert:

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Shrimp and rice noodle salad with coconut-lime dressing. I don't really post here often because my pictures tend to come out kind of bad (and also I suck at plating) but I think this one came out okay.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Wahad posted:

Shrimp and rice noodle salad with coconut-lime dressing. I don't really post here often because my pictures tend to come out kind of bad (and also I suck at plating) but I think this one came out okay.

looks awesome

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Spent my week swimming, fishing, and cooking for 14. Didn't get many pictures but dinner this week included:
A german feast of blaurkrat, spaetzle, weisswurst, and sachertorte.
9 hour pork ribs with crash potatoes.
Schnitzel.
Char broiled burgers.
Whatever fish I caught that morning with butter, lemon, and capers.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
made a nice mandarin orange and ginger dressing to go over seared tuna and salad

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Spent my week swimming, fishing, and cooking for 14. Didn't get many pictures but dinner this week included:
A german feast of blaurkrat, spaetzle, weisswurst, and sachertorte.
9 hour pork ribs with crash potatoes.
Schnitzel.
Char broiled burgers.
Whatever fish I caught that morning with butter, lemon, and capers.
Please say you got a photo of the Sachertorte. I love me some ganache

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Aunt Beth posted:

Please say you got a photo of the Sachertorte. I love me some ganache

I did not. Everything I made during the week was kind of thrown together in a rental house kitchen with very unreliable helping hands. My to do list is now filled with the German dishes that were done poorly, tonight was spaetzle.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I made a pizza.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Drink and Fight posted:

I made a pizza.

hell yeah

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Drink and Fight posted:

I made a pizza.

drat. Good pizza

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

What is this? It looks delicious.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Piccadillo con tostones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Not much to look at, but I made some pimento cheese and it's good.