Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Last night: we got all froo-froo springtime.

Garlic scape fettuccine with saffron cream and peas. Chive flowers because they were in the garden and pretty :bigtran:

Pasta machines rule, btw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Last night: we got all froo-froo springtime.

Garlic scape fettuccine with saffron cream and peas. Chive flowers because they were in the garden and pretty :bigtran:

Pasta machines rule, btw

Holy poo poo that looks amazing and delicious :swoon:

I made some curried short ribs but it's basically Brown in a Bowl so :effort:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I always prune the flowers before they blossom, are they good/worth allowing? This chive plant has been around for like 5 years, frozen and come back several times, so I don't think I can do anything to kill it (and wouldn't really care if I did).

That looks great, by the way, and I think it's inspired me to make some pasta primavera this week.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

They're pleasantly pungent and spicy, like veeery thinly sliced raw red onion but with a more playful texture.

Same with the flowers of the garlic scapes. Both can be eaten raw but the garlic scape flowers can also be seared.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

McSpergin posted:

Mate what crack pipe have you been on to think we don't call it a sausage sizzle in Queensland!? That's the entire reason I wait to do my hardware shopping on weekends - Bunnings sausage sizzle

You're literally the first person I've heard in this state since I moved here that called it that. Maybe Queensland is getting better....

And as if not go to bunnings every weekend just for a sausage sizzle, without entering the store.

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away
I've actually experimented with making my own curry, and managed to come up with one thats pretty drat tasty. Its more of an indian curry, tried with both beef and chicken, and spicy as hell.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Would you mind posting the recipe? I'm trying to build my curry game from the ground up and would appreciate seeing how others do it.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Pan-seared salmon with crispy skin and orange soy glaze, brown rice, zucchini fritters

More coconut curry soup again because I can't eat this often enough seriously I make this every week

SHROOMS

SHROOMS AND BEEF

Stroganoff!

First time making stroganoff, had way too much liquid. Will change it up for next time but the flavors came together well all things considered. It was actually better the next day since it had time to thicken a bit overnight.

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Would you mind posting the recipe? I'm trying to build my curry game from the ground up and would appreciate seeing how others do it.

I generally cook using a base recipie but changing quantities or adding stuff around but sure I'll post how I did it. The quantities will be off though.

I started with a pan with some mushrooms and onions, not talking much, not quite a handful but not a pinch. Sauteed them for a few minutes with coconut oil.

Then added coconut milk to not quite fill the pan but quite a bit. Now this part is all on personal preference, adding curry spices. Combination of turmeric, cumin, coriander, and cardamom. I just did a pinch of cardamom, and would add others while stirring to find a combination I liked. Everyone's taste here is different, so it boils down to how you want yours to taste. Once thats done, I added cayenne pepper until it was also spicy enough for my taste.

I then brought the combination up a slightly higher temp, not quite boiling, before pouring it all into a blender. Then I add one wedge of Lindt 90% Cocoa Dark Chocolate. Yea, I said chocolate, but don't throw a hershey's bar or something in there. Cocoa powder might work as well but i haven't tried it.

Blend it so everything is pureed, remember you still have some mushrooms and onions in there.

Once done, pour back in pan, add chicken or beef (I've tried both they both work well) and then simmer on low, I tend to do it for about 20-30 mins until I feel its ready.

I'm sorry if this is all in a weird format, like I said when I cook, I like to experiment, try different things, not really stick to quantities.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

kumba posted:

First time making stroganoff, had way too much liquid. Will change it up for next time but the flavors came together well all things considered. It was actually better the next day since it had time to thicken a bit overnight.

One of those "better the second day" recipes that I love. Looks good!

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Sweet potato and red lentil dahl with brown basmati rice and roti

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

emotive posted:

Sweet potato and red lentil dahl with brown basmati rice and roti

wow, that looks great!

I used to buy tempeh pedis, but never prepared something with tempeh myself...until now!

Pleasantly surprised by the fact that it wasn't a stinking sticky mess to begin with, but smellled and felt very pleasant on it's own.
I made an extremely easy version of something that i wanted to resemble the tempeh pedis I buy from the store,
without deepfrying and after browning the pieces in oil and letting them sit on some kitchen towl, I just tossed it in
ketjap manis, brown sugar, sambal badjak and a bit of water.
It was WAY better than what i usually have, because it was fresh (after a day in the fridge it did resemble the store-bought version, lol, still tasty though)

Will definitely use tempeh for other snacks and dishes as well in the future, great stuff.

All ideas and/or recipes with tempeh are welcome!

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I like to crumble up tempeh and cook it in a skillet with chorizo spice blend... makes for good tacos.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

emotive posted:

I like to crumble up tempeh and cook it in a skillet with chorizo spice blend... makes for good tacos.

Thanks, I was going to try the crumbling up thing, but this sounds like the perfect way to use those crumbles.
Will definitely try!

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Baumkuchen (German tree cake) with dark chocolate rum glaze.

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Do you guys like offal? Traditional Greek easter dish, made out of lamb liver, lungs, heart etc with rice, parsley, dill and other herbs, wrapped in... is it called suet? The membrane inside the lamb holding everything together.

Sorry for bad photo, turns out it's pretty hard to make a deep brown non-textured food look good.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pooper Trooper posted:

The membrane inside the lamb holding everything together.

I think that's the caul fat

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

EoinCannon posted:

I think that's the caul fat

You're absolutely correct!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I had the day off so, spent the whole day cooking and made whatever you want to call this. Pizzaan? Nazza?

Made a batch of Madhur Jaffrey's naan, then a big batch of palak paneer and chicken tikka masala with thighs. The chicken thighs were grilled about 1 inch over the top of oak wood coals in the oven, which gave the tikka a really intense smokiness that was awesome.

They thickened up enough in the oven that there was no dripping/sliding. It was pretty stable, and I could see this being awesome street food.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 15, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's fuckin genius

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Tell me more about that oven.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It's a "Pizzone", the biggest in the line of Pizza Party brand ovens from Italy. It's freakin' great. It was about 1/3rd the price of installing a traditional outdoor brick/clay wood oven, it's very portable, and it heats up in like 30 minutes instead of 2-4 hours like a normal big oven. It can get every bit as hot though, and I have topped out my IR thermometer more than once (1050f). Come on over to the pizza thread. Another goon has a smaller model and kicks out awesome pies.

The only downsides are that it's small and doesn't have enough thermal mass to easily bake bread, only pizzas, and it just doesn't look nearly as cool as a big installed oven does. Even in the biggest one, it's a squeeze to fit two pizzas in at once, but if you are even capable of opening/topping two pizzas before the first two are done, you are a master/professional, and have a $10K+ oven already.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Pooper Trooper posted:

Do you guys like offal? Traditional Greek easter dish, made out of lamb liver, lungs, heart etc with rice, parsley, dill and other herbs, wrapped in... is it called suet? The membrane inside the lamb holding everything together.

Sorry for bad photo, turns out it's pretty hard to make a deep brown non-textured food look good.

That sounds delicious and I am sad I'm not eating it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

That sounds awesome, thanks for the info! I just bought a house and adding a brick oven to the backyard is on my wish list. I bake a lot of bread, though...so I guess for now I'll stick with the DIY build route.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Mikey Purp posted:

That sounds awesome, thanks for the info! I just bought a house and adding a brick oven to the backyard is on my wish list. I bake a lot of bread, though...so I guess for now I'll stick with the DIY build route.

A full build will be great. I'm jealous. I wanted to build one myself, but am actively planning on buying a new house in the next two years, so I really didn't want to go to all that effort, and then move away.

If you haven't seen it, there was a goon thread about his build that was pretty informative. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553893

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pooper Trooper posted:

Greek haggis sounds awesome.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Theophany posted:

Greek haggis sounds awesome.

Actually sounds a lot more like a greek human being. https://youtu.be/bj-f_Uq7bcA

Pooper Trooper
Jul 4, 2011

neveroddoreven

Suspect Bucket posted:

Actually sounds a lot more like a greek human being. https://youtu.be/bj-f_Uq7bcA

that's amazing, thanks for showing it! It's exactly the same except the animal is lamb instead of pork, it's got rice instead of oats and a different herb combination. It always amazes me to see similar dishes adapted to localized produce.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pooper Trooper posted:

that's amazing, thanks for showing it! It's exactly the same except the animal is lamb instead of pork, it's got rice instead of oats and a different herb combination. It always amazes me to see similar dishes adapted to localized produce.

Pitty about the absolutely unfortunate name. Reminds me a bit of a comedy bit I saw that I can't find again, a black female comic was going on about the de-demonization of the N word, and suggested someone create an amazing brand of chips and call them Niggers. Towards the end she's just hollering about how EVERYONE LOVES THEM CHEESE NIGGERS

I'd love to try some brown hot greek faggots.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Salmon w/ crispy skin over green curry & veggies (zucchini, red bell pepper, bok choy), topped with green onions and basil

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Suspect Bucket posted:

Homophobe!

Actually, you're right. I tend to make my faggots with much more socially acceptable cuts of meat but that's because for some reason Brits now end up paying through the nose for offal. It's batshit when I'm paying more for guanciale than pork chops :/

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Had some friends over for pizza and made four kinds last night:

Sopressata

Shaved Brussels sprouts and pancetta

Prosciutto, cherry tomatoes, arugula

Fresh burrata

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Easter brunch for dinner!

Sautéed greens toast with garlic, feta, pumpkin seeds, and a poached egg. Side of roasted tomatoes and a slice of bacon.

Dessert was summer berries with mint julep syrup and whipped cream.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 17, 2017

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Had some of the wife's family up so did some experimental cooking (mostly as an excuse to finally buy a food processor).

Corn fritters with salsa for entrees (sorry for the terrible photo)

Sesame and poppy crusted salmon with asparagus and roasted potatoes for the main

Raspberry sorbet for dessert, but I didn't get a photo of it since it was inhaled by everyone. Came out awesomely smooth, though :D

iajanus fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 17, 2017

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

iajanus posted:

Had some of the wife's family up so did some experimental coming (mostly as an excuse to finally buy a food processor).

Corn fritters with salsa for entrees (sorry for the terrible photo)

Sesame and poppy crusted salmon with asparagus and roasted potatoes for the main

Raspberry sorbet for dessert, but I didn't get a photo of it since it was inhaled by everyone. Came out awesomely smooth, though :D

Nothing like experimental coming with the in- laws :wink:

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Nothing like experimental coming with the in- laws :wink:

I think my phone has been autocorrecting me maliciously since I dropped it last week. It keeps finding new and exciting things to substitute :argh:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
We did lamb for Easter! Sous-vide then seared, broiled the asparagus, couscous with tomatoes, feta, and mint vinaigrette. It was great.

Then we made a dacquoise with bourbon caramel buttercream (well, really, we spent all day making it) for dessert.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Vegan pho. Came out surprisingly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

overdesigned posted:

Then we made a dacquoise with bourbon caramel buttercream (well, really, we spent all day making it) for dessert.

:stare:

Wow.