Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I would kick a man's rear end in the street right now for the opportunity to eat that. Good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
It's fine if I catch some poo poo for this, but I have to say, because I see it so often and I guess I'm just this guy: your food probably didn't come out particularly well, it came out particularly good.

An analog: to taste well is to be able to taste things. To taste good is to have a good flavor.

To come out good is to come out and have some attribute of good quality. To come out well is to... have been easily removed from a container, I guess.

Constantly substituting the word "well" for "good" is kind of like substituting "whom" for "who." It's often wrong, despite sounding fancier.

I'm an rear end in a top hat.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Good worded.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

theres a will theres moe posted:

It's fine if I catch some poo poo for this, but I have to say, because I see it so often and I guess I'm just this guy: your food probably didn't come out particularly well, it came out particularly good.

An analog: to taste well is to be able to taste things. To taste good is to have a good flavor.

To come out good is to come out and have some attribute of good quality. To come out well is to... have been easily removed from a container, I guess.

Constantly substituting the word "well" for "good" is kind of like substituting "whom" for "who." It's often wrong, despite sounding fancier.

This is not a well post.

breaks
May 12, 2001

You're not going to come out well after I throw you down one. :mad:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

And you're not even right.

dictionary.com posted:

well
adverb
1. in a good or satisfactory manner

To say something "came out well" means it ended up being good. It's a perfectly ordinary phrase and the word "well" is appropriate to use in that context.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Well good, here's my food:

made some sort of banh mí with satay tempeh yesterday (you could call it a sandwich for lack of effort), that was very tasty

made some tempeh pedis with the remaining tempeh, so I had something to snack on during the evening,
but that was gone before dinner (and so was the beer)

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

If someone tells me their steak came out well I'm going to assume the cook hosed up. I fully agree with your post.

SigmusAmadeus
Apr 12, 2007
Lawlerbot
Started off 4/20 the only way i know how. with Culinary Fuckery.
Corn, mayo, spicy shin ramyun powder, cool ranch doritos, furikake on a chopstick with a honey sriacha buffalo drenched chicken cutlet

History will absolve me.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Slices of kebab with rice. The tomato sauce came out pretty well, gonna do it again someday.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Tiggum posted:

And you're not even right.

To say something "came out well" means it ended up being good. It's a perfectly ordinary phrase and the word "well" is appropriate to use in that context.

An adverb modifies a verb. The verb in "it came out well" is "came." Note that the definition says "in a good way or manner," not "existing in a good state." Note also the synonyms on the entry: "fittingly, appropriately," etc, but "good" does not appear.

An adjective modifies the noun. The noun in the same sentence is "dinner." Used as an adjective, "well" means in good health, or prudent. So you'd be saying your dinner isn't sick, or your dinner made the sensible decision of buying a Honda Civic instead of a Dodge Demon. But using well as an adjective in that sentence doesn't make sense, because the verb is "came." If you were describing your dinner, and not it's action, you'd say something like "my dinner was well."

It doesn't necessarily destroy the sentence to say "my dinner came out well," it just makes the sentence mean something you almost definitely aren't actually trying to say.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Goons.txt

Good well job finding another way to gently caress up something else.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

So you'd be saying your dinner isn't sick

My dinner is sick as gently caress.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

paraquat posted:

made some sort of banh mí with satay tempeh yesterday (you could call it a sandwich for lack of effort), that was very tasty

Recipe for that satay tempeh? Looks amazing! Always trying to find new ways to use it.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

emotive posted:

Recipe for that satay tempeh? Looks amazing! Always trying to find new ways to use it.

cut the tempeh in thin slices (about 150- 200 gram),
marinate the slices for a couple of hours (at least one) in a mixture of:
- 2 tablespoons of ketjap manis (thick sweet soysauce)
- 1 tablespoon of soysauce
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- half a tablespoon of sambal badjak
- half a tablespoon of vinegar
Turn over the slices a couple of times during marinating

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius (I think that's 400F)
in a single layer on a baking sheet, bake the tempeh for 8-10 minutes.

imo they're best when slightly cooled down
It was a first time trial, but I'll definitely make them again!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Crossposting from the meat smoking thread.

Made a big loaf of rye bread, and a full packer brisket of Ruhlman pastrami. Man knows his stuff, it was loving heaven. I smoked it all the way up to 203 though, didn't steam it. Based on advice I may have gotten here, I broke the packer down into the point, then cut the flat in half to end up with 3 4-5lb chunks that were much more easily manageable.

The point was too tender to slice at all while still hot, so had some big chunks of one of the pieces of flat. Super good, if almost too tender actually.

Side shot of the point the next day.

Sliced cold on the slicer. A sandwich's worth. I then vac bagged it and put it in the sous vide at 150 to warm back up.

Toasted rye, mustard on both sides. So good. Juuusssst fatty enough, super tender. Heavy pepper and coriander, with just enough pickling spice.

Will be making some pastrami hash with edge pieces and trimmings.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Doom Rooster posted:

Crossposting from the meat smoking thread.

That looks insanely good. The perfectly toasted, thin slices of rye put it over the top. I need to learn to bake.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

SigmusAmadeus posted:

Started off 4/20 the only way i know how. with Culinary Fuckery.
Corn, mayo, spicy shin ramyun powder, cool ranch doritos, furikake on a chopstick with a honey sriacha buffalo drenched chicken cutlet

History will absolve me.

I feel like if you introduced a South Korean to elotes they would freak the gently caress out. Kind of a weird accidental confluence of Mexican and Korean tastes (corn+mayo, namely).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

An adverb modifies a verb. The verb in "it came out well" is "came."
The verb is "came out".

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Mexican and Korean fusion is amazing, I know Mexico has it I can only hope Korea does too.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Chorizo spiced tempeh & sweet potato tacos with salsa verde.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
what's the deal with four spears of asparagus per plate

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Tiggum posted:

The verb is "came out".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FYTc55nGEI

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

emotive posted:

Chorizo spiced tempeh & sweet potato tacos with salsa verde.

You're hurting me.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Hmm, I think lasagna bolognese sounds good tonight.

7 hours later....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

wine french, so what

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

Mexican and Korean fusion is amazing, I know Mexico has it I can only hope Korea does too.

The Korean taco place by me closed after a feud with their landlord and they said they'll reopen once they find a space but now there's a medium kimchi rice and beans sized hole in my heart.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
A deep pan pizza.

A chilli of Beef Heart and Chuck.

A Cod in curry spices with Saag Aloo and a Tomato Onion Cucumber Cachumber.

Sticky Vietnamese style Chicken with Noodle salad.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cavenagh posted:

A deep pan pizza.

A chilli of Beef Heart and Chuck.

A Cod in curry spices with Saag Aloo and a Tomato Onion Cucumber Cachumber.

Sticky Vietnamese style Chicken with Noodle salad.

Oh god they all look delicious

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

Hmm, I think lasagna bolognese sounds good tonight.

7 hours later....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

wine french, so what

Unf, that was exactly me about 6 weeks ago, including a bordeaux... Your lasagna looks loving perfect.

I will not make lasagna tomorrow... I will not make lasagna tomorrow... I will not make lasagna tomorrow...

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Hello thread, I've missed you! Been in the middle of a move, so I haven't had as much time in the kitchen as I'd like (mostly due to most of my cooking equipment being in transit or boxes), and camera stuff has been in transit as well, but I've been able to get a nice meal together for myself, the better half and the inlaws last night.

Starter of cod fillet, scallop, black pudding, samphire, and guinness batter bits;

Main of fillet steak, picked slow-braised oxtail, textures of allium (shallot puree, charred leek, blanched spring onion, braised shallot), hasselback potato, grilled mushroom, and oxtail braising liquid turned into a sauce;

Cherry coke cake, rum infused cream, mixed fruits, coke and fruit coulis;

The cake was interesting - didn't really get the flavour through I hoped, but did end up with a nice light crumb. I'm tempted to try this with something like lemonade, then go heavy on actual lemon.

Been nice to get into the swing of things again. Did forget to do a couple of things that I had planned - the beef dish was going to have crispy roasted chive to garnish, and the cake was going to have popping candy.

I've also decided I'm going to make a massive gently caress-off oxtail chilli soon.

Olpainless fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 24, 2017

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
So there's like 3 good places to buy boerewors in my city, and most of the time you have to buy frozen. gently caress that, I decided to make my own for the first time.

Loosely followed this recipe and used this video for some grinder guidance.

Have some pictures:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
That is art.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Some sort of salad thing with sauteed mushroom, roasted baby gem lettuce, beets, warm chickpeas with tahini dressing, and soft boiled eggs.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The eggs look especially good.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Theophany posted:

That is art.

Thank you! It turned out a bit dry - perhaps I cooked it a bit too long, although readings pegged it at exactly 160*F when I pulled it, or maybe I need to use more liquid in the recipe next time. I've never really found any sausage that compares to good boerewors, so I'm keen to get it right.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

They keep cooking after you've pulled them unless you immediately ice-bath them. When par-cooking sausages I usually pull them at more of a medium doneness and then when I brown them and heat them back up it finishes them off.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cross-posting from the sous vide thread:

BrianBoitano posted:

I love sous vide in the bag with the marinade. Beautiful color. Chill, drain, pat dry, reduce marinade to make pan sauce. Pat dry and sear in cast iron. Turn Korean chicken into banh mi with gochujang mayo and sweet sour cucumbers.

Korea meets Vietnam and it's delicious.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Benn struggling with a batch of Barnsley and Loin chops I got from the butcher recently but managed to nail it tonight. I was being an idiot and expecting it to be as tender as pork with my method, but turns out it needs at least 100 mins at 100'c to start to fall off the bone. Did it for 120 mins, quick reverse sear and it was great. I also did a side of stir fried sliced sprouts with anchovy fillets - holy poo poo the umami :stare:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Kale salad with green beans, pine nuts, raisins, Syrian cheese, eggs, and homegrown cherry tomatoes. I had my doubts going into this, but it was WAY better than I thought it would be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Olpainless posted:

Hello thread, I've missed you! Been in the middle of a move, so I haven't had as much time in the kitchen as I'd like (mostly due to most of my cooking equipment being in transit or boxes), and camera stuff has been in transit as well, but I've been able to get a nice meal together for myself, the better half and the inlaws last night.

Starter of cod fillet, scallop, black pudding, samphire, and guinness batter bits;

Main of fillet steak, picked slow-braised oxtail, textures of allium (shallot puree, charred leek, blanched spring onion, braised shallot), hasselback potato, grilled mushroom, and oxtail braising liquid turned into a sauce;

Cherry coke cake, rum infused cream, mixed fruits, coke and fruit coulis;

The cake was interesting - didn't really get the flavour through I hoped, but did end up with a nice light crumb. I'm tempted to try this with something like lemonade, then go heavy on actual lemon.

Been nice to get into the swing of things again. Did forget to do a couple of things that I had planned - the beef dish was going to have crispy roasted chive to garnish, and the cake was going to have popping candy.

I've also decided I'm going to make a massive gently caress-off oxtail chilli soon.

This post isn't getting the love it deserves.