Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
It's a pilaf!

Top it with an egg or some leftover meat and you have dinner. Looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

iajanus posted:

Iajwife is almost ready to pop and started having cookie cravings so I tried making them for the first time in my life.

They taste better than they look

They look tasty! Two things could make them more aesthetic:
- Beat the sugar and the butter for wayyy longer than you think you need to. If you have a stand mixer do it for five full minutes. You want the butter to lighten in color by two shades. By really beating air into the butter, your cookies get a finer, more tender crumb.

- Try resting the dough in the fridge for as long as you can stand - overnight is the absolute best but even an hour will have an impact.
The uneven browning should go away and they should spread more evenly.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Not sure this counts as dinner but there was only left overs tonight and no actual dinner made. But I did make pancakes, but not as americans might know them. Oven pancakes!
In sweden they have savoury versions of these too with pork or bacon but here in Finland they're mainly sweet

I think in America we call them "Dutch babies", although those are usually cooked in a round pan and are quite puffy when baked, and always sweet.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Cooks Illustrated has a pretty decent recipe for coq au vin in the slow cooker but it requires browning meat beforehand so it's best as a "set it up the night before, refrigerate overnight, then turn on the slow cooker on your way out the door before work"

Still, coming home to the smell of coq au vin is pretty boss.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Brawnfire posted:

Do you save fats separately, or do they all mix together? I've saved bacon fats, but not others.

separately, but more like Anne Whateley does - we usually save bacon fat (it comes in handy for most things), chicken fat (schmaltz) is saved for special occasions, pork fat for reheating carnitas.

If you have really good bacon fat, it makes a really good vinaigrette. Heat it up until it's liquid and then use it instead of olive oil in a red wine or balsamic vinaigrette.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

paberu posted:

Has anyone here made easy pressure cooker Chile Verde in a dutch oven - https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html?

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2018/02/green-chicken-chili-sorry-red-and-white.html is a very similar recipe that is done in a Dutch oven, with chicken.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Casu Marzu posted:

Also spinach puffs

Kronk would approve, those look amazing.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Nephzinho posted:

Going to break out the staples a lot this week while they're fresh, lots of salmon and rice, in the lead up to the weather being good enough to get the grill out. I tend to make a single salad dressing that is garlic, shallot, red pepper, pepper, onion, balsamic, olive oil, and throw it over some spinach with walnut or pecan and diced apple or cranberry. I don't really feel like I have much creativity with salads despite very much enjoying them when out. Anyone have some go to weeknight salads?

I like to think of salads in terms of being a formula rather than a recipe with elements of:

Leafy
Fresh / Juicy
Crunchy
Creamy
Strong-flavored

So for leafy that's your lettuces but also spinach.
For fresh/juicy that's any other vegetable served raw, like cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, or sometimes fruit, like strawberries or raspberries.
Crunchy can be vegetables, but I also like to add some croutons. Homemade croutons are great - get whatever fancy bread is in the day-old section of the grocery (or save the ends off homemade bread), tear/cut it into bite size cubes, toss them in a little oil and dried herbs, and bake until crunchy at 400 deg. If I don't have homemade croutons I leave them out rather than try to spear one of those dense little crumbs that is a storebought crouton.
Creamy is usually some kind of cheese (goat is my favorite). The dressing can also be the creamy element.
Strong-flavored can really be anything from olives to sun dried tomatoes to anchovies. Most of my salads are based on Italian flavor combos.

Finally, the final key is to really toss everything thoroughly. None of this "pile leafs on a plate and pour dressing over". I assemble my salads in a big Tupperware and really shake it up before serving. Getting the greens a little wilty is actually good.

vonnegutt fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 3, 2019

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

TheAardvark posted:

you should make a whole thread and post more of these, excellent bird guy. i don't know what i was expecting but it was not a cream cheese and coconut flour pizza base with pork chops. hell i'd eat it probably

bird guy, do have have celiac disease or are otherwise gluten sensitive? why are you eating coconut flour?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Karia posted:

I just pulled out my copy of the book (different cover, it might be a different edition but probably this recipe hasn't really changed.) Here's the recipe*:

Caramelize the onions. Uncover, increase the heat to moderate, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with the sugar and continue cooking, stirrring frequently, until the onions are golden brown and caramelized, about 10 minutes longer.

Here's the problem. Caramelizing onions in most home kitchens (with electric range / lovely gas range) does not take 20 minutes. It takes closer to an hour, depending on the size of your pot, thickness of onion slices, etc. The exact time varies a lot. It's better to judge based on color rather than time. Caramelized onions should be brown. Not white, not golden, not light tan. Brown.

Cookbooks consistently underestimate the amount of time it takes, probably because they know that nobody would bother to try if they put the full amount of time.

It's really not that long if you're doing other things at the same time, because you don't have to stir every second. Start some onions, keep an eye on them, and then do the rest of your meal while they cook. I suggest burgers - once your burger is cooked, put a little pile of caramelized onions on a burger and add a slice of Swiss cheese on top. Heat it up until the cheese has melted over the onions and burgers and then eat on a toasted bun.

[edit] I see now there is the "releasing liquid" step that is supposed to add another 10 minutes. 30 minutes might be enough if your onions are paper thin. Still, best to judge by color.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Budget bytes has a really high success rate for me. I don’t make a huge amount of their recipes, but the ones I have turn out great on the first try and regularly work their way into weekly rotations.

Budgetbytes is great! The Chorizo Sweet Potato skillet is a personal fav, most of the ingredients are things I already keep around so it's a weeknight go to.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Tried Chinese Cooking Demystified's dan dan noodles - only I was lazy and used lao gan ma instead of chili oil. Don't care, it was delicious.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Tiggum posted:

What are you supposed to do with it? Chop it up and add it to each slice as you go?

In my family my dad would give a dollar to whoever would eat the whole thing. Being smart children, we knew that if someone offered us a dollar to eat something, it was never worth it, so my dad got it everytime.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
the leeching can also be a good thing, iirc, I'm pretty anemic and have often been told to use a cast-iron pan for cooking so that I can absorb some of its power

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Was homemade paneer a lot better than storebought? I've been tempted to try and make it for a while but it seemed a bit difficult.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

BBQ Dave posted:

Wow did not realize it looked like a face.

That looks delicious, and also like Mulan's breakfast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pSEhBpjnu0

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Nebrilos posted:

I tried augmenting some store-bought tomato sauce with the stir-fried vegetables. It was okay, but the texture was wrong. I think the sauce was too thin. It needed to be thicker to go with the vegetables. Do you think I could have tried reducing the sauce?

You can absolutely reduce tomato sauce, it will only become better tasting. I like to augment a high quality storebought marinara with Italian sausage or meatballs as well as vegetables and usually this requires a bit of cooking to marry everything together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Nebrilos posted:

Can you tell me which store-bought marinara sauces you would consider high quality? Sorry for all the questions.

:mods:

Chemmy posted:

Rao’s sauce is good.

Rao's is exactly what I use.