Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Parmesan grits with kale and a hot sauce + brown butter "vinaigrette"

http://i.imgur.com/EaCSXXH.mp4

loving delicious, filling, and very quick aside from the grits. We made the grits on Sunday, so yesterday was easy peasy.

From "Deep Run Roots"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Last night: we got all froo-froo springtime.

Garlic scape fettuccine with saffron cream and peas. Chive flowers because they were in the garden and pretty :bigtran:

Pasta machines rule, btw

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

They're pleasantly pungent and spicy, like veeery thinly sliced raw red onion but with a more playful texture.

Same with the flowers of the garlic scapes. Both can be eaten raw but the garlic scape flowers can also be seared.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

kumba posted:

First time making stroganoff, had way too much liquid. Will change it up for next time but the flavors came together well all things considered. It was actually better the next day since it had time to thicken a bit overnight.

One of those "better the second day" recipes that I love. Looks good!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's fuckin genius

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Easter brunch for dinner!

Sautéed greens toast with garlic, feta, pumpkin seeds, and a poached egg. Side of roasted tomatoes and a slice of bacon.

Dessert was summer berries with mint julep syrup and whipped cream.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 17, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cross-posting from the sous vide thread:

BrianBoitano posted:

I love sous vide in the bag with the marinade. Beautiful color. Chill, drain, pat dry, reduce marinade to make pan sauce. Pat dry and sear in cast iron. Turn Korean chicken into banh mi with gochujang mayo and sweet sour cucumbers.

Korea meets Vietnam and it's delicious.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Fenris13 posted:

Bananas are actually not the best fruit to snack on to stay awake, they can increase your levels of tryptophan, making you drowsy. Berries, nuts or seeds, maybe a little beef jerky would be better.

Does the science check out for this?

livestrong.com posted:

Bananas contain high amounts of a number of important nutrients. One medium banana contains 105 calories, 0.39 grams of fat and 0.011 gram of tryptophan, according to the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference.

The authors found that tryptophan was beneficial for people with situational insomnia, meaning that falling asleep is difficult, by reducing the time it takes to fall asleep in doses ranging from 1 gram to 15 grams.

OK, so 10 bananas...

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/the-truth-about-tryptophan posted:

Somer says that proteins like turkey, chicken, and fish, which are high in tryptophan, require assistance from foods high in carbohydrates to affect serotonin levels.

"Tryptophan is quite high in milk and turkey, but that's not the food that will give you the serotonin boost," she says. It's a small, all-carbohydrate snack -- no more than 30 grams of carbohydrates -- in combination with the tryptophan stored in your body from food you've already eaten that will give you the biggest boost of serotonin, Somer says.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/turkey.asp posted:

The amount of tryptophan in a single 4-ounce serving of turkey (350 milligrams) is also lower than the amount typically used to induce sleep. The recommendations for tryptophan supplements to help you sleep are 500 to 1,000 milligrams.

So bananas have 1/30 the tryptophan as turkey and turkey as sleep aid has generally been debunked. Still, turkey's other protein might be why it doesn't make you sleepy, so perhaps bananas with a lower dose but with carbs instead of protein might actually make you sleepy.

Not a lot of hard evidence to avoid bananas, imo. Especially because your brain runs on blood sugar and bananas are a low glycemic snack, meaning you will get a nice steady flow of sugar and not a sugar high followed by a crash. If you're really worried about tryptophan, add some peanut butter so the proteins slow the tryptophan from entering the brain.

Are there nutritionists on SA? I'm just a curious dude googling stuff.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

emotive posted:

Had a go at Kenji's method of vegan chorizo... threw it on tacos with salsa verde some leftover potatoes and some elotes.

Came out seriously good; though I didn't have tempeh or a bunch of different dried chiles so I just a chorizo spice blend.

I made some for his vegan loaded queso a long time ago. The chorizo was by far the best part, and it freezes well!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

vegetable paella from ATK.

Had to double the suggested length of time so the socarrat got crunchy enough!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Both of those look delicious.

angor posted:

Butternut squash risotto

Recipe?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Have you eaten it? It's delicious.

It's basically a fried chicken sandwich (good) but the bread is fried (good) and you have an excuse to eat fried foods for brunch (good good good)

You don't even need syrup or honey for it to be a winning combination, that's just icing on the steak

Also try savory waffle BLTs:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh man my 1.5 Tbsp ice cream scoop works well enough but those are gorgeous!

:10bux: and some drawer space might be worth a falafel dropper thingy.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah he probably meant toaster oven tray

Pizza! 550° on a steel

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

my lasaga!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Crumbly corn tortillas make delicious scrambled quesadillas

And, if your wife eats flour tortillas, you get some photogenic ones too:

Grilled poblano, smoked mozzarella & pepperjack, refried black beans. Extra cheese loose in the pan for cheese crust on the outside.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

dolicf posted:

Ricotta gnocchi w/ brown butter & sage

One of the best meals to be had. Yours looks good!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

^^^ befriend a local farmer at a market, then ask if they ever sell scratch & dent tomatoes at a discount. We make canned whole, crushed, and rotel-style every year. Definitely more expensive than even San Marzano but worth it for tomato-forward dishes.

Reztes posted:

Shakshouka! I've never even had shakshouka before, but I think I'm going to be making this all the time now. Tasted pretty delicious just using store brand crushed tomatoes, though I saw San Marzanos recommended in a couple of recipes. Really this is just further convincing me to grow my own tomatoes.

That looks amazing. Which recipe did you use, or did you riff off of some?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Yeah, that's smart (though not all kinds of tomatoes are so great for processing.) I just saw that a local farm has a tomato glut; they're selling PYO Romas for $1/pound. If I can make it over there, I can pick enough to make and freeze sauce to last me for months. Canning would be even better but I'm too lazy to bother.

Romas are the best for canning, and $1/lb is amazing, way less than we pay for scratch & dent in our small-rear end town. Worth the extra labor of PYO, and if you lived within an hour of me it'd even be worth the drive.

Reztes posted:

Thanks! I basically wound up following this one. I skipped the mushrooms and used some cotija cheese I had on hand instead of feta, and parsley since I'm between cilantro crops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifWWRZSWS18

Over Easy's recipe also uses parsley, which is nice for potlucks. I really like it for potlucks during tomato season, since it's not a carb or a meat, and it's approachable enough for timid eaters.

Comparing the recipes, Chef John uses a jalapeno and less spice, and my recipe has garlic, both sweet and smoked paprika, and dried oregano. I'll have to try my recipe with jalapeno!

e: oh dang the author of Over Easy has a tomatillo and charred corn "shakshuka" :stare: http://joythebaker.com/2017/02/tomatillo-shakshuka-and-over-easy-pre-order/

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 15, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Reztes posted:

Holy poo poo lol I'd never seen that before.

I wound up trying this one too, it was really good! The egg yolk and grilled corn ground the tangy sweetness of the tomatillos really nicely. Only took a few minutes longer to use fresh tomatillos, which I now love. I want to use this and a normal tomato version together and make shakshouka divorciados as a fun weekend brunch thing next time I think.

Thanks for the test of the recipe! I'm adding it to our "cook frigging now" list.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I've made many meals since my last post itt, but the simple ones seem best to eat and thus share.

Glazed five-spice chicken, Salt Fat Acid Heat pg. 338. 30 minute brine, 5 minute cook.

Coworker gave me some ginger preserves and challenged me to make savory dishes with it. I saw ginger and brown sugar in this recipe and gave it a shot. Replaced all the brown sugar with roughly the same amount of preserves, by weight. I didn't reduce the normal ginger amount, since the preserves are definitely mellowed, basically like candied ginger.

Chicken breasts, pounded 3/4" flat, cooked in a hot pan for 2 1/2 minutes per side. Served with simply roasted broccoli with chili/soy/sesame dipping sauce.

Made a pan sauce by deglazing, but it wasn't really needed. I inhaled most of the chicken before I remembered it was there.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Argyle posted:

And it only counts if you fertilize them yourself.

That's not how eggs we eat work, but you do you.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Samosas are easy if you use eggroll wrappers!

(They're still not that easy)

Sweet potato and black eyed peas with the spice suggestions from Made In India. Cilantro chutney, and chili paneer (starting with homemade paneer)

The paneer was phenomenal. We rarely repeat recipes but that one's definitely in the mix. The spicing on the samosas was also delicious, and the recipe is easily adaptable for whatever veggies & meats you want.

Bonus shot of cling wrap while microwaving the sweet potato, and again after letting the steam condense:

:science:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Describe the rest of the ingredients. If the sausage is spicy that's good, but if it isn't I'd add something spicy you like - whether that be fresh diced peppers, dried spice, or hot sauce.

Of course all food can be bland for lack of salt, and unfortunately it's tough to "season to taste" an egg dish since it's dangerous/gross raw to taste when it matters. My method for salting is to take my usual amount of salt I add to breakfast eggs (for me, a generous 1/4 tsp for two eggs) and scale that up, adding more for the volume of other ingredients.

Our Christmas morning strata is attached. Check your ratios against mine, especially the really tasty cheddar component. Under no circumstances are you allowed to use bland cheese.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

emotive posted:

Skillet roasted purple cauliflower steak with green harissa and olives
Spiced pearl couscous with golden raisins and chopped almonds

Stop, penis, erect, etc

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The Aardvark posted:

Leek fritters with fattoush salad.

Looks great! What starch binds/bulks the fritters? I'd imagine leeks wouldn't hold together, be dry enough, or be tasty alone.

Do you have sumac? Sprinkled on fattoush is my favorite thing :)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pollyanna, strip your cast-iron down to bare metal and season. This guide helps with both:

http://www.thekitchn.com/i-seasoned-my-cast-iron-pan-with-flaxseed-oil-and-heres-what-happened-224612

Congrats! Now you can scrub it with soap with impunity.

Flaxseed oil for base seasoning a couple of years ago, cook with sunflower oil has worked absolute wonders for me.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

rest your goddamn meat

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:agreed:

This is the ideal turkey stock color. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

3rd quart is in the freezer, couldn't be bothered to go grab it for the photo

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

A++ would attempt to lick my monitor again

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Christmas tradition in our house: pork shoulder ragú on gnocchi

My wife's invention: roasted tomato, mozzarella and fried caper salad

My MIL's tiramisu. I'd never seen how to do chocolate shavings at home before!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My favorite breakfast egg thing:

Bacon and Leek Tart from Date Night In.

My second favorite is any strata ever. If that's within your parameters I'll dig up some recipes, including the one we just had for Christmas morning which was amazing.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ranter posted:

I got an upgrade and in turn upped my smashed burger game

How do you keep the burger from sticking to the smash spatula? Oil the spatula first?

I previously used a silicone spatula so that might be it too. I now have a big beautiful metal one (not quite as nice as yours) so I can't wait to try again.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pasta bolognese! The Food Lab, page 729:

The wide noodles were supposed to be tagliatelle but the widest noodle Publix had was fettuccine that was barely wider than spaghetti :negative:

I did lasagna noodles cut in half, which worked quite well, though next time I'd cut into 3rds. Actually, if I'm going to spend 90 minutes active and 3 hours simmering, next time I'll probably roll out fresh pasta.

Kale Caesar, TFL page 828:

We liked it! The oil massage did help tame the kale's fibrousness, though next time I may add lemon as well for more tenderizing.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

emotive posted:

I find that trying to get char spots on my electric stove is impossible on corn tortillas... they get stiff/crispy before any real spots develop. Do I just need higher heat? Using a dry cast iron skillet.

How long are you preheating? You could also try broiling in your oven, directly on the rack if you're worried about sticking to sheet trays.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Croatoan posted:

Why are you using a pan at all? It's super easy on a gas stove but you can still char on an electric burner directly.

If you do this on electric, you're asking for it to stick. A very dry tortilla and a preheated burner is your best bet, but I wouldn't do it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Amazing how the same dish can look vastly different based on lighting, framing, and filters :)

Tomato and lima bean bake AKA "pizza beans", and garlic bread:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Cloks posted:

Smitten kitchen? Looks good!

Yup! Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine