Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Happy Hat posted:

Last nights dinner... Salmon

wow, could you elaborate a bit on the sauce/seasoning and the way you made the sesame seeds stick?
Excellent photography skills as well, btw, thanks for not raising the bar too high [/sarcasm] :-P

for content:

we bought a piece of cow that's not a common piece of meat over here...literally translated, it would be "donkey"...some research showed that in America it is called tri-tip, which is pretty common, lol. So far for exotic and strange pieces of meat...

Anyway, the dinner was lovely, with brussel sprouts, mushrooms, potato gratin and really nice an flavorful meat.

paraquat fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Happy Hat posted:

Photo taken with a phone, but thanks :)

Basically - for the glacing of the salmon...

Sweet chili sauce, a goodish knob of ginger, 3 cloves of garlic, soy sauce, oil.

Mince the garlic - and let it simmer in the oil - mince ginger, add with soy and sweet chili sauce - marinade fish in sauce for a while.

Quickly (on a hot pan with oil), sear the upper side of the fish, remove and turn in marinade again.

Dip sides in sesame seeds - into oven for 5-10 minutes - add some of the marinade over the top when halfway through.

Done..

*taking notes*

Thank you SO much! (glad I asked, hahaha)
Will definitely give this a try in the near future!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
^Nice^
I made some black bean soup that perfectly matched the color of my table

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Friend posted:

I don't know why I did this

You probably tried to prove my point, but it camouflaged the soup so well that you forgot what you ... you...eeeehhm

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

That Works posted:

Someone needs to clean their table.

Actually, my table now perfectly matches my house.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Ranter posted:

I moved into a new house with new people.

A Chinese guy, Taiwanese girl and a Canadian Korean dude. And then me the fat Aussie white dude. I am now a minority and loving it.

My contribution is the broth on the left; made a chicken and pork broth from scratch (chicken wings, pork neck bones, onion, celery, carrot, peppercorns).

Wow, that looks great.
When I grow up, I want to be a minority too!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
made a sub with (from bottom to top) spicy hoisin mayo, cucumber, iceburg salad, char siu and a quick pickle of carrot and red onion (with some extra hoisin mayo drizzled all over it, lol)
lovely food

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
^^nice, would definitely eat!

I made spicy Korean chicken (and left the sesame seeds out) pretty much per this recipe: http://rasamalaysia.com/spicy-korean-chicken-wings/
and had some stir fried vegetables with that.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Mapo tofu and shakshuka are probably my 2 favorite dishes that I didn't know existed until browsing here.

tried my hand at a veggie one (mushrooms). I almost like this one better than with pork

Wow, that looks really tasty!! It's been a while since I mapo tofuud, must try the shroom version now!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

poop dood posted:

Please lay on me your mapo tofu recipes. I make pretty much exclusively American/French food at home and would love to start incorporating Chinese and Indian stuff. Similarly if anyone could recommend me an Indian recipe that is delicious and doesn't require a pressure cooker I would be very grateful.

mapo tofu:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3401971&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post394267113
this recipe is awesome!

and an Indian thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774083
other people and/or things in that thread will probably help you with the second question, I don't really have a go-to Indian recipe, I'm afraid

paraquat fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 6, 2017

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I think Thoht is right.

Just to give you an idea Gwyrgyn Blood, I think my pan was on low heat and I hardly stirred any longer than to mix the ingredients and dissolve the sugar, bout 2 to 3 minutes or something, as the consistency of the mixed ingredients is saucy to begin with.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

emotive posted:

Sweet potato and red lentil dahl with brown basmati rice and roti

wow, that looks great!

I used to buy tempeh pedis, but never prepared something with tempeh myself...until now!

Pleasantly surprised by the fact that it wasn't a stinking sticky mess to begin with, but smellled and felt very pleasant on it's own.
I made an extremely easy version of something that i wanted to resemble the tempeh pedis I buy from the store,
without deepfrying and after browning the pieces in oil and letting them sit on some kitchen towl, I just tossed it in
ketjap manis, brown sugar, sambal badjak and a bit of water.
It was WAY better than what i usually have, because it was fresh (after a day in the fridge it did resemble the store-bought version, lol, still tasty though)

Will definitely use tempeh for other snacks and dishes as well in the future, great stuff.

All ideas and/or recipes with tempeh are welcome!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

emotive posted:

I like to crumble up tempeh and cook it in a skillet with chorizo spice blend... makes for good tacos.

Thanks, I was going to try the crumbling up thing, but this sounds like the perfect way to use those crumbles.
Will definitely try!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Well good, here's my food:

made some sort of banh mí with satay tempeh yesterday (you could call it a sandwich for lack of effort), that was very tasty

made some tempeh pedis with the remaining tempeh, so I had something to snack on during the evening,
but that was gone before dinner (and so was the beer)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

emotive posted:

Recipe for that satay tempeh? Looks amazing! Always trying to find new ways to use it.

cut the tempeh in thin slices (about 150- 200 gram),
marinate the slices for a couple of hours (at least one) in a mixture of:
- 2 tablespoons of ketjap manis (thick sweet soysauce)
- 1 tablespoon of soysauce
- 2 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- half a tablespoon of sambal badjak
- half a tablespoon of vinegar
Turn over the slices a couple of times during marinating

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celcius (I think that's 400F)
in a single layer on a baking sheet, bake the tempeh for 8-10 minutes.

imo they're best when slightly cooled down
It was a first time trial, but I'll definitely make them again!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I had a bag of rice flour and a piece of char siew, so I made:
Banh xeo with char siu (without shrimps), onion, bean sprouts and spring onions, some mint leaves, a handful of lettuce leaves and a simple nuoc cham

Didn't expect it would work out, but dayum, that stuff was good!
So the next day I made it again (had a load of leftovers), but with bigger lettuce leaves and two instead of one banh xeo

I never ate banh xeo before, but I love the stuff I made, so next week I'm going to order it from a proper vietnamese restaurant and see what can be enhanced.
It's definitely a dish that will stick in my routine, for sure! :-D

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

I used a piece of lovely fish, but this is definitely a nice way to prepare it....
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/feb/07/ken-hom-fish-hot-sour-sauce-recipe

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Raikiri posted:

Made scotch eggs:

Those colours, wow. That plate is a work of art!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

lifts cats over head posted:

Decided to try and copy a dish from this week's episode of Master Chef, garganelli with mushrooms. This might be one of the top five homemade dishes I've made.

Homemade garganelli using all yolk dough
Cremini
Porcini
Garlic
Thyme
Olive oil
Butter
Salt and pepper.

That's really pretty and tasty looking, awesome!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Torquemada posted:

Pork vs prawn sopes (pork wins).

Please elaborate a bit? especially on the winning ones!
or should I say: recipe please ;-)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Torquemada posted:

Sopes are just blue flour tortilla masa, you don’t even need a press to make them. Just flatten a small ball of masa into a disc, about half an inch thick and 3-4 inches in diameter. Cook them in a hot cast iron pan about 30 - 60 seconds on one side; flip them over and crinkle the edges on the cooked side, then cook the other side about the same. Couple of seconds in a microwave or in a warm oven to reheat.

The frijoles are made with canellini beans, butter and lard, cumin, salt, oregano, garlic, msg and toasted arbol chilies.

The pork is a mashup of the best parts of pastor and pibil. I used loin, if you have a super sharp knife and knife skills you could use virtually any part of the pig. Cut your pork into the thinnest strips you can, really thin. Get some disposable gloves for the marinade. Use salt, msg, cumin, a variety of chiles (I used anaheim, guajillio, and mulatos), the juice of an orange, a lemon, and a lime, and some cinnamon. Lastly, achiote, or annatto paste, without which the dish is pointless. Make a dry-ish paste out of these ingredients, massage it into the pork, and leave for a while. Fry in lard in a very hot pan, don’t crowd the pan, and make sure the meat is at room temperature when you start cooking.

The salsa is simple, a whole pineapple cut into chunks, and two onions in large dice, roughly equal in weight to the pineapple flesh. Roast in a hot oven for 30- 45 minutes, until tender and a little scorched. Put these ingredients into a blender with some lime juice, salt, fresh cilantro and habanero chilies.

The prawn ones were kind of plain in comparison, fried in lard with ant powder and serrano chili and some wet garlic. Good, but the pork ones were insane:D

Thank you!!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
But googly eyes nontheless!!!

I vote kill and eat, because that's one lovely Strawberry Frangipane Tart

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

emotive posted:

Brown rice mujaddara, roasted honeynut squash, lemon tahini yogurt

What an excellent plate!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Random Hero posted:

I made some fried rice with shiitake mushrooms, peas and broccoli topped with Korean marinated (gochujang, mirin, sake, ginger, garlic) hanger steak (sous vide 4hrs @ 132) and peach tea pickled red onions. I will definitely be making all of this again, especially that marinade and the onions.

That looks SO great! You are my random hero!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

kittenmittons posted:

Imgur won't let me load images, so I'm not sure what to do here.

Things on bread.

Bacalao spread / butter beans, tomato, sherry vinegar / tuna, piquillo peppers, allioli / finocchiona, burrata, pickled mustard seed / nduja, chevre, basil, honey / fig and olive tapenade, manchego

That looks and sounds amazing!
I made fancy things on bread before as an appetizer...but you definitely won.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Vietnamese mango salad with homemade beef jerky...didn't have any peanuts in the house, so I used hazelnuts instead

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

a dozen swans posted:

Ottolenghi's mango-tomato salad with herb oil and black sesame seeds. Insanely good salad, will dream about this.

That does look insanely good!
The only recipe clowe to this that I can find is one with ngella seeds instead of black sesame seeds.
Is it the same recipe that you used, with a white misodressing? https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...otam-ottolenghi
Will be giving it a go anyway, it looks and sounds very tasty

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

hobbez posted:

Since I have the Chaat Masala spice and tamarind paste sitting around now, do you recommend any other recipes to try using these ingredients? I'm googling recipes but I'd be interested in any suggestions from the thread

I love chana chaat,
this is a nice recipe: https://www.flourandspiceblog.com/chana-chaat-easy-recipe/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

mystes posted:

This isn't the general chaat thread :colbert:

In that case, here's my lamb-eggplant kebab