Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Kenji's Shakshuka

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Meatless mapo tofu

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

sweat poteto posted:

Mmm, never had mapo because pork. What's the recipe?

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/jun/14/pock-marked-old-woman-s-tofu-recipe

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Spicy miso ramen. Added a bit too much soy milk to the broth but decent overall.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Soba with shiitake broth, miso roasted carrots and soft boiled egg.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

angor posted:

What's your technique on the egg? Looks perfect

Add egg to a pot of boiling water. Reduce to simmer and cook for 6 minutes.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I shakshuka'd again.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Snowmankilla posted:

Fine, I'll try shakshuka. What's the best/not balls hard recipe we suggest?

I'm really enjoying Kenji's recipe here:
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/09/shakshuka-north-african-shirred-eggs-tomato-pepper-recipe.html

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Breakfast... eggs poached in salsa verde on corn tortillas. So satisying.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You poached the eggs in salsa verde? Did you make the salsa from scratch?

Nah, I used the rest of a store bought jar I had. Tomatillos are impossible to find around here.

Heated the salsa, cracked the eggs into it, let them shallow poach... like what you'd do with shakshuka.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Kung pao tofu, braised eggplant in garlic sauce, ginger bok choy

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

theres a will theres moe posted:

Wow. I'd love to have the recipes you used for all of these, if it's not too much of a PITA to provide. I love bok choy but I've only ever used it as an ingredient in stir fry or soup, never as the star.

Sure.

Kung Pao (just subbed tofu for the chicken... i baked mine first to get it crispy): http://www.fuchsiadunlop.com/cooking/
Eggplant (didn't have the pickled root so I omitted it and the tofu): http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/braised-eggplant-with-tofu-in-garlic-sauce-recipe.html

The bok choy I just blanched and then quickly stir fried with a little light soy, minced ginger and a pinch of white pepper.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Polenta cakes with (very) roasted eggplant, red pepper and carrot... poached egg on top.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Sweet potato and red lentil dahl with brown basmati rice and roti

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I like to crumble up tempeh and cook it in a skillet with chorizo spice blend... makes for good tacos.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Vegan pho. Came out surprisingly well.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Good worded.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

paraquat posted:

made some sort of banh mí with satay tempeh yesterday (you could call it a sandwich for lack of effort), that was very tasty

Recipe for that satay tempeh? Looks amazing! Always trying to find new ways to use it.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Chorizo spiced tempeh & sweet potato tacos with salsa verde.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Spicy vegetarian miso ramen with 6 minute egg and crispy roasted shiitakes

I even busted out the real camera for this one.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Baked watermelon poke bowl... baking it for 2 hours at 350* gives it a similar texture to raw tuna, surprisingly.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

My mind says gross but my eyes say hell yeah

I had my doubts but it was seriously good. You really couldn't even taste watermelon (i added a little rice vinegar and soy when i baked it)... I'll definitely be making it again.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

yeah same, but definitely curious!

can I get a recipe, please??

Rough, but about what I did:

1 lb. watermelon, rind removed and cut into ~1.5" thick slabs (eyeball it here, i can't remember how much mine weighed -- it was a 1/4 chunk)
1 tbsp rice vinegar (to cut the sweetness, mostly)
2 tsp soy sauce (to add some saltiness)
Oil to lightly coat

1/2 of a large vidalia onion, very thinly sliced
1 tablespoon grated ginger
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tsp sugar (more to taste but keep in mind watermelon has sweetness already)
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 scallions, thinly sliced on a bias
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
lime juice to taste (i used about 1/2 a lime)

Preheat oven to 350. Toss watermelon with vinegar and soy and bake for 2 hours. flipping halfway through until top starts to brown and it becomes tender. Let cool a bit, cut into chunks and mix with remaining ingredients... Let sit for a little while and throw on rice... topped mine with plenty of furikake and togarashi, which I think are very important here considering it gives it a bit of fishy flavor which it lacks without any... fish.

Here's how the watermelon looks right after baking:

I think avocado would be a great addition to this but I didn't have any at the time.

emotive fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 9, 2017

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Carbonara with shiitakes and a little bit of spinach... to make it healthy.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Cast iron pizza, tried doing more of a New Haven tomato pie style... Trader Joe's crust, pureed canned whole tomatoes w/ salt and a little EVOO, and fresh grated parmesan.

emotive fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 3, 2017

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I had a burrito for dinner, so here's breakfast instead...

Sweet potato and spinach hash with eggs.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Vegan paella with mushrooms and artichoke

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Every time I make an Asian dish that uses dried chilis to perfume the oil, etc that happens to me. Not my eyes, but, standing close to the wok is impossible without coughing like mad.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Had a go at Kenji's method of vegan chorizo... threw it on tacos with salsa verde some leftover potatoes and some elotes.

Came out seriously good; though I didn't have tempeh or a bunch of different dried chiles so I just a chorizo spice blend.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Vegetable pad thai

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Portobella and goat cheese sheet pizza with roasted red pepper and caramelized onions. Whole wheat crust.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Carnitas style mushroom tacos, baby zucchini

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Why dirty dishes if you don't have to?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

disregard

emotive fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 8, 2017

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Carnitas style king oyster mushrooms for tacos. Braised with onion, garlic, orange, cumin, cinnamon and bay leaf then tossed under the broiler to brown up.

Tasted delicious, but some of the pieces were incredibly tough. First time cooking with these mushrooms so I'm not sure if I needed to cut more of the stems off or what. Surprised since I cooked them for a full hour. I'll have to mess around with it again and definitely shred/chop them up a bit more.

emotive fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 20, 2017

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Vegan "alfredo" with cauliflower cream sauce. It was way better than I thought it was going to be.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Looks good. I assume that's a "cream" sauce (since it's vegan)? I sometimes make pasta with a vegan sauce made from chickpeas pureed with their cooking liquid, plus olive oil and garlic. It's terrific

Yeah, so it's really just cauliflower simmered in cashew milk and then blended until completely smooth and creamy. Seasoned with garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, white miso and tons of black pepper. Thinned with a bit of pasta water once I tossed it with the pasta.

emotive fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 11, 2017

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Skillet roasted purple cauliflower steak with green harissa and olives
Spiced pearl couscous with golden raisins and chopped almonds

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Aunt Beth posted:

Green harissa? :aaaaa:
Homemade? Got a recipe?

I used this recipe:
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/green-harissa-2

Not sure you can really even call it harissa, but it was delicious either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Sorry, spamming.

Cast iron pizza with caramelized onion, mixed mushrooms, thyme and mozz.
Started on the stovetop then baked at 550 for 10 minutes. Finished under the broiler.