Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Casu Marzu posted:

Spinash/mushroom stuffed pork loin
This didn't get enough love -- how did you get it to stay so gorgeously neat? I've done it with spinach-mushroom filling, and it looked tidy, but the stuffing all fell into pieces after cutting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

I hate bready or eggy roast stuffing, so the filling was spinach, couple kinds of diced mushrooms, shallot, a huge amount of butter, and prob 3oz of parm grated in.

My method is slashing the inside of the roast with shallow cuts, salting heavily inside and out, stuffing and rolling it, then let it rest overnight in the fridge. This has always gotten me a super tight roll and stuffing that stays put, along with dry brining the meat as well.
Interesting, thanks! I think the cheese might be key since iirc mine was just spinach, mushrooms, and diced onion (all sautéed in canola). It cut cleanly, all the individual leaves then just came out when transferring it. If I do an overnight rest I could also do transglutaminase for fun. If I add butter and cheese this time, it might help with the filling a little.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Put them on a rack and do them at a higher temp for a shorter time. The broiler thing would also work, but really, a rack to get them out of swimming in fat and water.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It looks like you took an entire stalk of cilantro and "coarsely chopped" that. You're supposed to start with the leaves and chop those. I mean you can certainly use the stems too, but if you have entire leaves or leaves chopped only into two pieces, that isn't the intention.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Would eat the hell out of those. I think you can leave off the sesame seeds, I don't think they add much. If you wanted to be cute you could do toasted chopped pepitas.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I cook the whole thing on a weekend and don't brown it, then during the week I crisp it in a small nonstick pan to reheat. Best of both worlds!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Similar large lumps of meat from different animals

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I only keep fat if I have a specific plan for it. Like last week I roasted a chicken, and then I hung onto the fat to roast pumpkin seeds in. I'm more likely to make steak and then sauté mushrooms in the same pan than I am to save it for next time I make mushrooms.

Ymmv, there are definitely people who keep jars going forever and use it for everything, but I think that's a pretty good middle path.

Glass doesn't melt from hot fat, and it's a lot easier to wash clean than Tupperware, so a glass jar is a good call.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
We finally figured out what Calvin's mom was serving him

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Do you know if there's another way to contact him / post them? I saw what he's doing* but I don't have a twitter

* for anyone who hasn't seen it
https://twitter.com/kenjilopezalt/status/1108627036707450880
https://twitter.com/kenjilopezalt/status/1116190555376168960

His chick-fil-a copycat recipe, but he's accepting basically any fried chicken, even not in sandwich form

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 12, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I never knew that name for it before! I'd only heard it called a crêpe miroir -- I wonder if that's a Québécois vs. Parisian thing or what. There do seem like a lot more results for galette complète. What about it was a pain in the rear end?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If it took 6-8, I feel like something was wrong with the recipe. Crepes are one of the things people get weird about, but it's not that complicated, you don't really have to make it in advance or anything.

I make this buckwheat crêpe batter, but I do it in a blender because why the hell not. I use a nonstick pan but I still use butter for flavor. If the batter is poured thinly enough and it doesn't burn, it's hard to gently caress up imo.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Oh, I've been doing them the idiot way. I don't try to spread them with the back of the ladle or anything. I just pour in the batter and tilt the pan to distribute it evenly. The downside is they are all just the same size as the pan.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
He wants to grill them. I don't think you can get jus from a grill

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

thetan_guy42 posted:

anyone have a go to preparation for cabbage as a side? I'm doing a whole chicken tonight and have about half a head of leftover cabbage. I'm thinking of either shaving it thin and dressing it with lime juice and adding a couple other things or cutting it a bit thicker and sauteeing it
Late to the party, but the next time I get a whole chicken and a cabbage, I really want to try this https://smittenkitchen.com/2020/04/roast-chicken-with-schmaltzy-cabbage/

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Halal Guys the brand is absolutely nothing special. Its only distinguishing feature is that somehow it was able to market itself as a brand to Iowa tourists. Halal carts all over the city are amazing and $6 at 4 am. The spice mixes vary based on the owners' origins, but all of them are amazing and none I've had are really like Kenji's recipe.

Also, let's be real, none of them have actual lamb, it's always gyro meat. Which tbh I'm still down for if it's nice and crispy.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I pulled my thanksgiving pork roast out of the packaging and immediately got hit with the smell of rotten eggs. I guess I don't need a covid test after all.
was it vacuum-sealed? Vacuum-sealed pork always smells terrible when you open it, it's something about what the process does to the blood in the package. Toss the package and dry off the pork, then come back in a minute to smell the pork itself.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You can buy clam juice, which is a disgusting thought but works well

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I always eat pretty late. In the before times I got home from work at like 6:30, and I hated to just walk in the door and immediately start cooking, so I wouldn't get started until later. You can pretend you're being classy and European.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It looks good except the bacon looks pretty raw. Maybe it's just the photo, but you might want to try cooking it partway before wrapping it around the filet.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Tendales posted:

My only quibble with Chef John is that he gets hung up on only using The Real Stuff. gently caress that, Californian or Wisconsan parmesan is fine,you don't need to feel shame about not spending more money on imported cheese.
Parmesan is a bad example because I’ve never had domestic Parmesan that was anything like the real thing. It’s not about the terroir imo, it’s about the process and the aging. I don’t think there’s any reason there couldn’t be a good US parm, but there isn’t a commercial one now afaik. Something like Belgioso is basically a young cheddar that’s never seen a crystal.

For some things it doesn’t matter, like if you’re pouring a cup into a tater tot casserole or meatballs, or using it for a salty note in breading, by all means use the green can. But if you’re doing something where the parm stands out, then yeah you really want the real thing.

If you haven’t had it before, get some of the super aged good stuff to try sometime. If you’re just using it for microplaning over the top of things, $15 worth will last you months and be totally worth it.

e: https://www.seriouseats.com/domestic-parmesan-taste-test-parmigiano-reggiano

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 19, 2023

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Ime grana padano is somewhat cheaper but also harder to find and less well known. It is a good sub though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

JoshGuitar posted:

I usually do 1 hour-ish wings. Oven at 450, wings on rack on tray, flip about every 15-20 minutes. After about an hour they're nice and crispy and the meat falls off the bone. I actually prefer that texture to the fried ones, and they're super low effort without much mess either.

If you plan ahead, they're even better if you do the Serious Eats thing, and toss them in a mixture of salt and baking powder (1 tsp each per pound of wings), arrange them on the rack/tray, and let them air dry in the fridge for 8 hours or more before cooking. You get a super crispy skin this way.
Try skipping the flip sometime. That’s a big pain in the rear end and imo it’s plenty good without bothering