Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

paraquat posted:

we bought a piece of cow that's not a common piece of meat over here...literally translated, it would be "donkey"...some research showed that in America it is called tri-tip, which is pretty common, lol. So far for exotic and strange pieces of meat...

Anyway, the dinner was lovely, with brussel sprouts, mushrooms, potato gratin and really nice an flavorful meat.

That looks great. Tri tip is a much more common cut on the West Coast of the US. Where are you located?

How did you cook yours?

I usually do it Santa Maria style, with a rub and over the grill, though the oven is fine too. Makes amazing sandwiches with some crusty, buttered grilled bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

When you're craving Frito pie, but your girlfriend wants a fancy dinner.

Made another batch of venison chili, and still had Fritos lying around, so deconstructed Frito pie it is! I had a normal bowl after this.

Lol

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Saw some monster shrimp so had to use them for something.

Shrimp and cheese grits. Used some leftover tomatillos in the sauce which gave some nice acidity to the sauce without adding lemon juice.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Korgan posted:

bung your snags on top of that mess

Bon appetite mates.

Ahahahahahah

Agreed

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

iajanus posted:

The whole experience is the sausage sizzle; the food item itself alternates between that name and sausage sandwich depending on the vagaries of the universe at that moment.

e: it is also correctly called a democracy sausage if the sizzle is taking place at a voting centre on election day.

Does the dinner thread have its own version of Poe's Law?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

What does skate wing taste like? I learned a long time ago that bad restaurants would try to pass off circular cutouts of skate as scallops, so I assume white, oily, and meaty?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

You poached the eggs in salsa verde? Did you make the salsa from scratch?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Looks pretty good to me

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Double post from the charcuterie thread

And with homemade katz style deli (or so the recipe claims)

uh you're missing some meat in that sammich I think. Put about twenty more slices in there.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mah scarrr PO nay

/

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I always prune the flowers before they blossom, are they good/worth allowing? This chive plant has been around for like 5 years, frozen and come back several times, so I don't think I can do anything to kill it (and wouldn't really care if I did).

That looks great, by the way, and I think it's inspired me to make some pasta primavera this week.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

My mind says gross but my eyes say hell yeah

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Catberry posted:

I had no idea that raw tuna was a desirable texture

It is in a poke bowl!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Random Hero posted:

I made something on Monday:

Honestly, one of the best steaks I have had in a long time. ~2.5lb bone-in Akaushi ribeye, dry-aged, dry-brined, smoked and reverse seared, basted in butter, garlic, shallots, thyme and rosemary.

Literally triggered a pavlovian response.

What are you doing with the rosemary brush there?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

large hands posted:

that's funny i just made kenji's xlb recipe for dinner tonight

Goddamn I would eat all of that so hard and fast

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

No lemoncakes? No sweetcorn and pease? Cod cakes and roast mutton and pigeon pie and mounds of neeps and I see a cheese wheel there I guess

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Just because I wanted to know what a "neep" is I googled it and found a scots wikipedia page on the subject. I love that scots looks like a bunch of orks wrote it.

https://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neep

"Wild forms o the neep an its kin, the mustarts an the reefort can be fund aw ower wast Asie an Europe, makkin fowk think that their domestication teuk place somewey in that airt."

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

teh winnar! posted:

Tonight's noms are American goulash with French-cut green beans and homemade sourdough garlic bread. I'm particularly proud of the bread; its soft and cake-like.

My grandma used to make "goulash" just like this and I absolutely loved it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I mean it's a pretty old thing, soul food wise, and yes it got trendy with Tarantino putting it in a movie or whatever. But as to the "why?" of it I guess the answer, like many foods, is just "why not?"

Why eat grits with chitlins? Why put eggs in a burrito? Why eat boiled sea insects?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Weird thing to sperg out about. What's that, people like a little sweetness with their fried chicken? Haha how stupid, that's like eating glazed ham! Or putting brown sugar on a pork shoulder. Oh wait...I mean, it's like cooking onions until they caramelize! Uh...putting...taco meat on a birthday cake!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Garum with my candied figs, huh? How trendy and dumb

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I never heard of it until the early 2000s, but I didn't really eat or know about soul food growing up---of my family only my maternal grandmother is southern, everyone else is french and italian so that is the kind of food I grew up eating. Just reading a bit about C&W it does seem to be something that maybe migrated down here from the northeast in the first half of the 20th century.

e. I mean everyone eats fried chicken, corn bread, grits, macaroni and cheese and other things that could be called "soul food" but I didn't have an understanding of it as such.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Very cool. Will you share your pasta recipe?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Random Hero posted:

Sous vide wagyu petite filet with pasta aglio e olio:

First time making the pasta and it won't be my last. So good and so easy.

Fuuuuuuuuuck that looks so good.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Really good shot man.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

...a good post

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

large hands posted:

bucatini with pressure cooker bolognese. first time using the pasta extruder so I used the egg pasta recipe from the manual. Might try a durum semolina mix next time

I've tried two different recipes for pasta, both traditional italian recipes from italian cookbooks, and both were utter failures, so I'm curious how that turns out.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

One is the recipe that I usually use--seems to be faithfully reproduced here--which calls for 00 flour (though I typically use AP). It's 4-5 cups flour, three whole eggs, and two more egg yolks. edit: actually I am pretty sure that I don't make it with that much AP flour, as I find it comes out being way too much. I feel like I only do 2-3 cups.

It looks like this through the machine and is usually great for pappardelle, linguine, or anything flat really.

It jammed up the pasta extruder though.

The next time I tried it I used something similar but perhaps with more egg yolks or more eggs, I can't really remember. Again, it was too heavy for the extruder, though it did better than the first try.

So next time I plan on following the recipe in the machine.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 7, 2017

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

large hands posted:

miso ramen with pork belly

drat. Looks great.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

dolicf posted:

Skirt steak carne asada.

I typically use flank steak, but went for skirt this time. Problem was, it was crazy tough. Almost inedible. Cooked SV @131F for 8 hours, finished on the grill. I used Kenji's marinade in the SV bag. I'm kind of baffled. Anyone have any ideas?

I just marinate it for a couple hours, then grill it fast on a hot fire. SV seems unnecessary. Slice it very thin on a bias against the grain and it's great.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

dolicf posted:

Thickness may have been my issue. The slices were approx. 1/3" or so.

Maybe. You sure you cut against the grain of the meat?

Also I was curious and if you look on Serious Eats Kenji actually recommends against cooking skirt steak sous vide.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nice crust on the roasted potatoes, how did you get them browned like that?

Chicken looks great too.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I eat french fries out of a sock at home. :colbert:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Doc Walrus posted:

DUCK BRATS

topped with Fig Honey Jam with a side of smoked cheddar mashed potatoes.

Good beer

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Chicken, andouille & shrimp gumbo.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

That Works posted:

I don't know if it exists anymore but I know my parents had those same bowls growing up. Remember where they are from?

They were a wedding gift but they're pretty common in kitchen stores. Here they are online, no idea whether that's a typical price for them or not.

https://cajuncreations.com/new-orleans-restaurant-recipe-gumbo-bowls

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I love oxtail and that looks delicious.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Looks frozen or something.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Cook meat properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Theophany posted:

The main reason I single-flip is it's just easier for approximating your cooking time. If you know that for a given cut thickness that 2 mins per side gets you a good medium rare, flipping it every 30 seconds and loving around with a thermometer just becomes a hassle for no real benefit other than a marginally quicker cooking time.

If two minutes a side gets you what you want (what are you cooking, a pork chop?) then cook 30 seconds and flip eight times. Though it’s probably easier to do this on a grill admittedly.