Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
https://imgur.com/a/XLkhq

Fiancé is a vegetarian so no big roasts, just a big steak for me while I cook her a mushroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

I made tri-tip

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Cooked 2.5 hours at 135 with salt, pepper, garlic powder and, a few sticks of thyme, then kissed on the grill after brushing a mix of red pepper, hot paprika, toum, maple syrup and, dijon mustard on it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I once was in Nebraska and their idea of a fish taco at the taco johns was...

Flour tortilla
Fish stick
Lettuce
Chese
Tartar sauce

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Matsuri posted:

Holy poo poo that looks good.

Meanwhile I made caprese pastries last night to eat for breakfast and snacks and such:

It was my first time messing with puff pastry so I'm happy how they turned out. I think I may add a layer of pesto or something inside next time though; as good as they are they are a little on the bland side.

Bro you made totinos pizza rolls.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Perhaps it's a mojito with bourbon, a bourito :clint:

Also known as a mint julep with some lime.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Random Hero posted:

I went to the store yesterday planning to just get some basics and spotted this thing that I couldn't resist:

~2lb boneless wagyu chuck roast. I'm trying to decide how to cook it and I can't make up my mind. Smoke? Sous vide? Pot roast? What do you think?

Cut it into steaks, Sousvide it to 129 and sear in its own fat on a cast iron.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Don't ruin that meat by boiling it.

At the end of the day it’s still chuck, and I don’t see an amazing meat/fat ratio like you see with A5.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
[quote="ColHannibal" post="488919578"]
At the end of the day it’s still chuck, and I don’t see an amazing meat/fat ratio... so to extract the real tenderness out of it...it will need the help.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Ewar Woowar posted:

Hello dinner thread. Long time reader, first time poster.

My girlfriend is a recently diagnosed coeliac so dinner time can sometimes be pretty hard for us as there are a lot of things we (she) can't eat- doubly so as she is now pregnant which decreases options further. She used to love going out for dumplings but that is pretty much a complete no go now.

We decided to make an attempt at gluten free ones and they turned out to be loving great. Still trying to get the hang of making them look pretty though.

These look good, what did you use for the wrapper... rice paper?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
https://imgur.com/a/1F8UsGH

Passed the PMP so I am celebrating.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Roasted Donut posted:

Ok I'm reading through this read and what the gently caress is this. How did no one comment on this. What in the god drat hell.

I saw the post, remembered the episode of Doug where they accidentally made banana pizza, laughed... and kept scrolling.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Happy Hanukkah!

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

To you too! I was just thinking "why is apple sauce called a sauce?" and then I remembered yummy latkes. Those look great!

Not pictured was the apple sauce I made, I shred a bunch of apples in the food processor, add sugar, lemon juice and bourbon for a real apple flavor without the cinnamon I find unpleasant in latkes.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

toplitzin posted:

Tonight was french toast.

With tomato sauce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

sean10mm posted:

This is my first real attempt at fried rice.

No wok, no fire, no joy. No rice cooker either. But I did have a bigass cast iron pan and time to leave it on the dumb electric burner until it got hot as hell.

Step one, make white rice. 1 cup rice, wash it off, put it in 1.5 cups of water, bring to boil, turn down to low & cover for 18 minutes, take off heat and keep covered another 15 minutes. Let it cool off and then put it in the refrigerator overnight.

1 big cast iron pan, hot as balls
Some canola oil
2 eggs

Fry up the eggs. Didn't bother whisking them, just broke the yolks and fried it up.

1 shallot, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped

Throw them in and stir around a bit, break up the eggs. Add a blob of chili garlic sauce.

Throw in the rice, fry it a while, constantly moving around. Splash in some soy sauce.

3 green onions, chopped and some marinated grilled chicken thigh meat thrown in at the very end. Stir around just enough to get it hot and get it out of the pan.

So I’ve found cast iron to work against you with fried rice due to the rough texture. I also recommend cooking the veg, then adding the egg and making a giant scramble before adding the rice. Another tip is to make your sauce and put in a squeeze bottle to add slowly to not steam everything.

One last tip is to look up Chinese sausage on Amazon and change your fried rice life.