Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Those are Aussie tacos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

rgocs posted:

My wife ran to the store to get some pate, which seemed a bit fancy for the sandwich, but it all went together very well. T

:colbert: Pate was poor people food long before haute cuisine made it hip.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

VelociBacon posted:

I generally don’t cook animal protein until it’s fully tempered at room temperature, like 1-2 hours sitting out of the fridge minimum, then you can do the whole thing in the pan and it’s fine. You can try putting the butter in the pan with some thyme and spooning the butter over the steak as it sears. This gives you a better flavor. The fat strip on the outside is the first thing the pan should touch because the rendered fat from it is what the steak cooks in (plus butter right before the steaks go in). You don’t need to add fat to fat (no olive oil).

Having said all that your steak looks good and I’d eat it.

Doesn't really matter. A starting temp of 40F vs 70F isn't gonna make any appreciable difference when you're tossing the steak into a 500F pan. You're talking about like 15 seconds difference in the pan in the long run.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, I mean technically flipping multiple times is gonna end up with a thinner grey strip around the steak, but if I'm dealing with multiple pans or just lazy, flipping once isn't thaaaat much worse of a product in the end.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Doh004 posted:

Sure, it's only marginally better but it's really not "that much extra work", unless you think flipping a single steak is a lot of work.

Also, I would heavily suggest not cooking proteins by time unless you're doing SV or something that's actually precise. Doneness of things like steak is much better done either with a thermometer or just feel.

Well yeah no poo poo. I don't do steak anymore unless I'm svizzling. I'm just saying, for the new person that is having issues with everything, flipping constantly may be an additional extra step that isn't really needed until he or she gets the basics of cleaning a cast iron pan down first.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

On the subject of steak, here is another strip grilled and flipped repeatedly. Total cooking time 20 minutes. It was goddamn delicious.

If I'm fukkin flipping a steak repeatedly for 20 minutes, I'd expect the sear to be a lot more even than that.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Phil Moscowitz posted:

The flipping was only about 10-12 minutes of it but ok

If I'm flipping a loving steak constantly for 10-12 minutes, I'd expect a more even sear.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kenning posted:

I've been watching videos from Maangchi's Youtube channel for a while now and made a couple things that didn't call for specialty ingredients. Today I finally went down to the Korean grocery store to get pepper flakes and dried anchovies and fermented shrimps and all that good stuff. And I celebrated by making Bo-ssam, pork belly cabbage wraps.

The cabbage is quick-pickled, and next time I'll trim more of the base off. The sherry glass contains fermented shrimp relish, while the bowl is oyster radish salad. You put it all together and pop it in your mouth. It's an overwhelming combination of flavors, and is very good. I also made cabbage-and-soybean-paste soup with the leftover cabbage, but I don't have a picture of that.

Needs some fresh garlic slices, but looks good. Bossam is one of my fav meals.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

How do you keep the burger from sticking to the smash spatula? Oil the spatula first?

I previously used a silicone spatula so that might be it too. I now have a big beautiful metal one (not quite as nice as yours) so I can't wait to try again.

It helps if you toss the ball of meat in the pan for like 15 seconds, then roll it over so that seared spot is on top and smash at that point. That little seared spot helps the patty release easier from the spatula.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

Looks great. Where'd you get those plates?

They look like ones I've seen at either world market or target

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I find splashing a bit of water on the tortilla before toasting helps a lot.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That looks like a tart to me :colbert:

Would, though.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Miso salmon and gai lan ohitashi cuz I'm lazy as gently caress.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Panko breaded juustoleipä cheese sandwich with lettuce, onion and tomato.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Thanks guys. It was delicious as hell but also sat like a brick cuz I ate a 6oz slab of fried cheese. Pretty sure I was in a food coma the rest of the day.

kumba posted:

i have never heard of that cheese but holy gently caress i don't think i've ever wanted a sandwich more than i want that right now

It's great, pretty much a less salty halloumi

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

chia posted:

It’s both, to be fair. In Itä-Suomi (Kainuu at least) it’s called juustoleipä and in Länsi-Suomi (other parts of Finland as well, I guess)it’s leipäjuusto.

Btw Casu Marzu where did you get it from or did you make it yourself? Awesome that someone knows about leipäjuusto/juustoleipä outside of Finland :)

I've been meaning to make it, it sounds pretty easy.

Wisconsin has a surprisingly not-insignificant Finnish population. I think there's 5 or 6 dairies in the state make their own.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mushroom and cauliflower tacos with chipotle cream and pickled things

Kenji's cast iron pizza. One with caramelized onion and mushrooms and goat cheese and figs, other with caramelized onion and mushrooms and salami.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Seared em hard, then braised in a mix of veg broth, garlic and mashed up chipotle in adobo. Simmered until the sauce is super thick. Finished with a squeeze of lime.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

But who narrates now?

Francis' ghost

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Spinash/mushroom stuffed pork loin

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Where's the fukkin pickles

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

This didn't get enough love -- how did you get it to stay so gorgeously neat? I've done it with spinach-mushroom filling, and it looked tidy, but the stuffing all fell into pieces after cutting.

I hate bready or eggy roast stuffing, so the filling was spinach, couple kinds of diced mushrooms, shallot, a huge amount of butter, and prob 3oz of parm grated in.

My method is slashing the inside of the roast with shallow cuts, salting heavily inside and out, stuffing and rolling it, then let it rest overnight in the fridge. This has always gotten me a super tight roll and stuffing that stays put, along with dry brining the meat as well.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Stangg posted:

Mince and Herb Ravioli, Roasted Tomato Sauce, Sweet Balsamic Glaze

Road rash dot jaypeg :popeye:

Made a big batch of oi sobagi cuz this extended winter sucks and I want crunchy refreshing summer foods already.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Your green spoon splooges are too big but otherwise it looks fine. Edit: the white splorts inside the green spoon splooges are kinda silly too.

That being said, I'd eat it.

If your radishes are too fiery, rinse em under hot water for a second after you slice. Also works if you wanna make super quick pickled onions.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Tried making chicken calvados tonight, and...I don't think I liked it. I don't know if it was the stringy, tendony boneless chicken drumsticks, the two cups of calvados, or the bland-rear end cream sauce, but it really didn't taste very good. :(

All of the above? If you're deboning a chicken leg, you really gotta make sure to get all the tendons out. I'm not sure I would want to deal with deboning a leg in most cases, that seems like way too much work for what you get.

That recipe seems terrible in general.

Edit: I'm kinda curious what made you choose that recipe over all the other poulet a la normandy/chicken calvados recipes on Google? All recipes pretty much routinely sucks in my opinion.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 19, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

West coast oysters for life. All the east coast and gulf ones taste like a cross between taint and the smell at low tide when all the rotting seaweed is exposed to the sun.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Sex Hobbit posted:

Made some tasty but kind of sad-looking cajun-spiced drumsticks a couple days ago. Anyone got any tips on how to get them to brown better? They taste good, they're super juicy and all, but under the spice they're a little anemic-looking.

Sear them in a pan first. Preferably an oven safe pan so you can just toss the whole thing in after searing. Then you can make a pan sauce after roasting cuz all the drippings are in a convenient stove safe pan.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

My take on Hank Shaw's Eingemachtes Kaninchen. Rabbit meatballs, sauce of caper brine, chicken stock, beer, and sour cream. Finished with a huge squeeze of lemon and some charred broccoli.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Doctor posted:

Those meatballs are loving erotic.

I'd be happy to put em in your mouth :quagmire:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Where's the crumb shot? :colbert:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Jinh posted:

Sorry I didn't wanna post too many pics like last time

:colbert:

This is the only photo that matters

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ogopogo posted:

Chicken curry and rice, hummus and cucumbers!

gently caress yeah put that in me

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's wayyyy too loving hot to cook a real meal so I made bibim naengmyeon.

Cold buckwheat noodles with chili sauce, shredded chicken, cucumber, and a soft egg. So good and satisfying on a hot day.

If the heat keeps up like this, might have to break out the beef broth for mul naengmyeon too.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Serendipitaet posted:

Sounds tasty and doesn't look terribly raw, I'd probably eat it. But did you let it come to room temp before cooking? I usually get a nicer gradient of well done to pink when doing that.

That doesn't really do anything meaningful.

Also, if wormil is in the US, trichinosis is almost non existent in pigs unless you're hunting down a wild hog yourself or buying from Bubba the hillbilly down the road who butchers out of his rusty, leaky, dirty shed. Even then, the risk is fairly low.

Unless you're serving super young, old, or immunocompromised people, pork is fine cooked to 135ish at a "will this make me spew lava from my rear end" level.

On a taste level, I prefer 140 or a touch higher. Too rare of pork loin has a mushy texture that is kinda gross imo.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 2, 2018

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Human Tornada posted:

Edit: Removed for being mean.

Some practical advice, we all love comfort food, but you'll do far better in the long run if you acclimate yourself to the taste of real food and indulge every once in a while instead of trying to replicate the taste of junk but healthy.

You didn't remove enough of your post bruh.

:jerkbag:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pan-fried Rushing Waters rainbow trout with maple/chili brown butter, wild rice, broccoli sprouts, black vinegar.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The balsamic looks like you tried to plate after cutting yourself

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

First try at hong shao rou. Not bad, think I like the chairman's version better with all the aromatics.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

gently caress yeah green papaya is delicious unlike actual ripe papaya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

emotive posted:

Tomatoes could have been better but any caprese is good caprese.

I disagree. I've had some insanely bad caprese salads served to me over the years.