Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
This year I tried making tonkotsu for the first time

Combined dashi, soy tare, broth, tahini, green onion, bok choi, enoki, woodear shrooms, nori, fried shallots, sprouts, soft boiled egg, braised pork belly, and burnt garlic oil... yum

ogarza fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

This is incredible. Did you have lots of stock left over to use later?

yes, cut like a cake and stored in single serving bags in the freezer

This is what was left over after 6 or 7 bowls

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

That Works posted:

Next time separate out some of the fat and reserve, take the meat and drain the liquid out of it with a slotted spoon or something, spread the meat out on a sheet in a thin layer, paint it a little bit with the reserved fat and toss it under the broiler to crisp up and brown the tips. Turn it all over on the pan and repeat.

It goes from being very good like you just did to even better.

in mexico, most taco places will swipe the tortillas on pork fat before heating them up as well...

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I meant to post this here originally... instead created a new thread like a dumbass

Raw halibut, serrano, red onion, and lemon slices, cilantro, ponzu, lime juice, lemon juice, a bit of salt and pepper

We also had some vodka, dill, sugar, and salt cured garlax and mixed in with some avocado and feta (i know, but it was a very mild feta, more like cream cheese)

And of course we mixed and matched from both... loving delicious.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

got off on a technicality posted:

Chicken stuffed with Gorgonzola, breaded, fried, served with Balsamic vinegar and a side salad

whoa, never though to add balsamic vinegar to fried chicken, it sounds delicious

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Sitting in bed at 3am, I smell my fingers after multiple washes and they still smell glorious of taco

Assembling 'Donald Trompo'

It kind of worked..

Con original y copia

We also made gringas, with flour tortillas and used muenster cheese... looks sloppy but this is how they look in the streets.. so. w/e

It takes a couple of hours on the vertical spit, so we made some 1057 OG 14 IBU hefeweizen

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Salmon, russian osetra, creme fraiche, etc...

washed it down with some 96 dom perignon

ogarza fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 15, 2019

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Already clean Nixtamal which I prepared the night before and left soaking.

Ground that bitch up real good.

Rumor has it that when the tortilla puffs up when cooking, you are ready to get married, I'd settle for a BJ.

Salsa time.
Garlic, chipotle, morita, arbol.

Brined a pork shoulder overnight with some bay leaves and apple cider vinegar, etc.
Then cooked with 3 garlic cloves, 1 bay leaf, celery salt, pepper, 2 guajillo peppers, a bunch of chile de arbol peppers, thyme, oregano, a splash of apple cider vinegar, very little cinnamon, very little cumin, and greek seasoning.
You look at it and it crumbles, that is how tender it is.

Tortillas came out way better than expected: https://i.imgur.com/lZ0YNAC.gifv

ogarza fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 17, 2019

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

Do you have a specific recipe you followed to make these at home?

The only things I really measure are the dry weights of corn, lime, and salt (not used traditionally, but I will use the hundreds of years of advancement science has given us).

So basically you want 1-2% calcium hydroxide by weight compared to the dry kernels, and I like to add 0.5% salt.

e.g.

1kg dent corn
15g calcium hydroxide
5g of salt

Boil corn and lime for about 30 or so minutes, until the skin from the kernels sticks to your fingers, remove from heat, cover and let sit overnight. Never really measure the amount of water but ~3 times the corn, so 3 liters should work for this example. But really you want to cover the corn and leave enough of a headroom for the corns to absorb liquid overnight.

The next day, add some water and rub the kernels with your hands to remove all of the skin, then dump the dirty water and repeat about 4 or 5 times with clean water until it comes out clear.

you might want to look at how to nixtamalize videos to look at the texture you are looking for in the corn, also you are not making hominy, so the corn should will not be fully cooked.

Strain out the water and grind very finely, as fine as you can.. if it is like cornmeal it will make tasty tamales, but not tortillas.

Then I add the salt and water and knead, adding water as necessary, until I get the correct consistency for corn tortillas, some people add a handful of maseca or even wheat flour and mix it in with the nixtamal.

Roll them into little balls and press them with tortilla press, rolling pin, beer bottle between ziploc bags, or even your hands... the latter is going to be way harder to get them thin.

You want to put them into a hot griddle and turn them over before they dry out, or cracks will prevent steam from building up while cooking them. If your dough is too dry or not ground finely enough, it will also make it very hard for them to puff up.

If the corn you have is not starchy enough, you might want to add a tsp or two of cornstarch dissolved in water when making the dough. I bought some dent corn on amazon and I could feel the stickiness of the dough, so I didn't add anything.

Make sure you get as much of the alkaline water from the corn as you can when rinsing, if you've never tried fresh tortillas, the pungent smell of the lime may be weird at first, when it is subtle it is amazing and I hate tortillas that don't have it, if you use too much lime, or don't clean them well enough, they will taste awful. So just use less next time you make them.

Edit - If you are using hands to try to make tortillas, instead make a gordita, it will be way easier... make like a half centimeter patty about the size of coffee cup, and after cooking in the griddle, open them down the middle with a knife to make a little pocket and put the filling in there.. I recommend refried beans, pork cracklings, crumbled queso fresco and a slightly acid green salsa, like tomatillos but without any cream or onion.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 18, 2019

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can we see more of this wonderful machine? What exactly is it?

It's a corn grinder, bought it on Amazon for $40, can't really put wet grains through the kitchen aid or whatever grinder, it will just gum up.

https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Crank-Grain-Grinder-Hopper/dp/B00A8SFHI4

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Not exactly dinner.. had some leftover tomatillo, jalapeno, and ghost pepper salsa... so I added some heavy cream and epazote, fried some tortilla chips and used some leftover refried beans and pork to make chilaquiles... hangover=cured

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I made breakfast tacos for dinner rube goldberg style

pork shoulder

adobo

add adobo to pork and cook 1 or 2 hr

prepare salsa borracha (drunk sauce) oh yes I went there, beer salsa

fry some of the pork shoulder in adobo and some of the salsa

scramble eggs

skip the part where you take the pictures when making tortillas...

but do add more salsa to the tacos

behold

The salsa is so good, I'm not sure it's legal

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Entropic posted:

Posting noods

:dance:

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I do cocoa and honey as well, with some milled flax seed, sometimes I add banana, sometimes I add peanut butter, sometimes I add both.... just blend with almond milk and stir in oats after

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Tahirovic posted:

Didn't know there's other people who discovered eggs as pizza topping. Goes very well with spicy things.

went to spain and never found a pizza without the egg... been a supporter ever since

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Made a very spicy peanut salsa with garlic, clove, lime, and vinegar.

Poured over some grilled prime ribeye and spring onion tacos

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Drink and Fight posted:

Toast and blend?

Fry in olive oil peanuts, garlic, and add arbol peppers at the end to not burn them.

Blend all with more oil, water, 2-3 clove sticks, raw garlic, lime juice, vinegar and salt to taste until creamy. Done.

I like it garlicky, hot, and tart, but adjust any of these however you like, I would keep heavy on the garlic though.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 4, 2019

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

tarbrush posted:

Why the raw and cooked garlic?

Habit, always throw some raw garlic on salsa when I add cooked, even when making guac, first I crush raw garlic on the mortar and pestle before throwing everything else in, I like it pungent.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
pastel azteca

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Made sopes.

Fried in avocado oil.
Refried beans.
Pork loin with guajillo, pasilla, cascabel, arbol, garlic, thyme, oregano, cinnamon, apple cider vinegar, and bay leaf.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 21, 2019

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Had some leftover ribeye that I grilled on Friday, chopped it up real good with some other secret stuff and made tacos

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Humble brunch with friends.

Made some beer sourdough two days ago and toasted some slices today.

Made some gravlax (gin, blueberry, cilantro, sugar, salt) last week.

Combined it today on cream cheese, tomato, red onion, capers, hard boiled egg, and dill.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 1, 2019

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Decided to make some flour tortillas this morning and things escalated quickly.

Tortillas: flour, lard, butter, salt.

Prime rib: paprika, guajillo, ancho, black garlic, thyme, rosemary. Chopped up leftovers and fried in pan.

Green salsa: jalapeņo, serrano, onion, garlic, lime juice, chicken stock, vegetable oil.

Red salsa: chile de arbol, tomato, guajillo, garlic, chicken stock, vegetable oil.

Toppings: cilantro, onion, lime juice.

Breakfast was delicioso.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Made tamales like we do in the north, thinner with guajillo and ancho adobo in the masa.

64 with refried beans and home made pork chorizo.

46 with poblano and jalapeņo strips with panela cheese.

Any mexican knows they are 200% better reheated in cast iron or directly over coals.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
obviously re-heating tamales, they taste better when you burn the husk on the cast iron to reheat

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Made my first ever vegetarian dish

Caramelized onion, garlic, roasted poblanos, zucchini, yellow squash, corn, spinach, serrano, and mexican cream.

Fresh made corn tortillas, veggie stew, crumbled feta, toasted sunflower seeds, cilantro and sprinkled some lime juice.

I guess vegetarian food is ok.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 3, 2020

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
It finally snowed and I got to use my clay pot.

I made some cuts on the orange and stuck a couple of cloves on there, put it in whole to boil for a few minutes then took it out, didn't squeeze the juice.

My house smells amazing.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Tell me more. Making something to eat or drink or just a potpourri or what?

It's actually more of a coffee drink than a hot chocolate, it just happens to have some mexican style chocolate in it.

It's called cafe de olla, or coffee from the pot, the clay pot does give it a nice flavor and keeps it warm forever. But a regular pot works too.

Boil the orange, clove, cinnamon sticks (it needs to be the mexican, ceylon cinnamon), and unprocessed sugar cane juice, and chocolate (optional) for a few minutes.

Take out the orange and clove, turn fire off, once it stops boiling add some coarse ground coffee and in a few minutes strain and serve.

Proportions for approx 2L - 1 orange, 3 cloves, 2 cinnamon sticks about 4in, ~175-200g piloncillo (dark brown sugar can be used but not as good), ~1.5oz of mexican style chocolate with cinnamon, abuelita works but far inferior to taza, and maybe ~6 tbsp of coffee? But I like it stronger and just throw a bunch in.

Chocolate and adding the orange while boiling is optional, not part of the traditional recipe which is just clove, cinnamon, piloncillo, and coffee.

BTW taste is not even close to adding sugar and cinnamon to your coffee.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 9, 2020

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Made some lamb and mushroom sausage burgs.

Sauteed shrooms, shallots, and parsley. Turned off heat then added more shallots, spices, and garlic. Deglazed with just a bit of water.

Mixed everything with the cubed lamb leg overnight, ground the next day.

Black pepper, coriander seed, salt, and chile de arbol.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 16, 2020

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
his recipe is good for chile colorado, but I would definitely use thyme instead of sage, and he doesn't add orange skin when braising.

pretty sure it is delicious nonetheless, it's a dish I've forced in a pinch with even less ingredients and its always delicious.

back home we scoop up the fat that builds up when braising and use that instead of lard for the refried beans, then serve the beans with a scoop of the pork and it's called 'beans with poison'... my mouth is watering

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I went to the store to buy stuff for soup and left with ingredients to make aguachile.

It's like ceviche, but spicier, you cook the shrimp in blended lime, cilantro, and serrano liquid.

Then add red onion, cucumber, cilantro, serrano, and avocado in slices.
I also sprinkle some powdered chile de arbol because serranos in the US are lame and about as hot as a regular jalapeņo back home.

Enjoy with ice cold beer, crackers, or totopos.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 26, 2020

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah and it's s probably overrated since so many goons bring it up. Every place I've gotten shawarma has toum or a tzatziki/yogurt sauce. Y'all are choosing mayo instead, yikes.
To be fair, halal guys used to be really good and cost $6 at 4am, they even had lamb, it now tastes like poo poo since they franchised, all they have is tasteless ground beef and chicken, lovely portions, and oily sauces.

People who still claim it is good never really liked it anyway, they just wanted to be part of the hype. Halal guys is dead, get over it.

I loved the red sauce, always got extra and made my pee feel warm the next day, a nice refreshing change to american "spicy" food, the last time I tried it it was in one of those ketchup packets and was maybe 1/3 as hot?

The white sauce at the cart was a standard yoghurt and I believe they also had a bottle with ranch, so you had to be very careful.

Even the first brick and mortar experiment they did near soho was a disaster, a dollar more expensive for less food that didn't taste as good, it was the begging of the end.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 25, 2020

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Pickled red onion with habanero

Chile manzano salsa

6lb of lard and 3 hours of beer drinking time...

Carnitas

Refried black beans with epazote and avocado leaves, carnitas, onion, cilantro, pickled onion, salsa and lime juice.

Green stuff is some fried jalapeņo emulsion with chicken bouillon, vegetable oil, garlic, and lime juice.

These tacos are from leftovers, yesterday added guacamole instead of beans. Mash raw garlic clove with salt in molcajete and add avocado.

They were ok.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 15, 2020

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I have leftovers for a year...

Ground some garlic and salt into a paste on the molcajete before adding avocado.

So far three days eating the same thing and it doesn't look like I will get bored of it soon.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
First time cooking thai and first time making dumplings...

Made some shrimp kanom jeeb, brushed with the oil where I fried the garlic... they were not bad.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Taking out the wok for it's first test run

Pad Pak Ruam

edit - Had it with some rotisserie chicken

ogarza fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 22, 2020

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
I made a salad

pickled zuccini and yellow squash in rice wine vinegar and sugar

langoustine poached in dashi (cheated and used hondashi)

chard, watercress, lettuce, microgreens

yuzu vinaigrette with chilli pepper (couldn't find yuzu or yuzu juice :sad:)

with avocado, watermelons and some fried rice noodles for some crunch

oops forgot to add the microgreens

ogarza fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 27, 2020

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Raikiri posted:

Did you use a melon baller for the avocado?

Yup

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

CaptainCrunch posted:

Sauerkraut, pasta salad, roasted new potatoes and grilled thumbs?

lmao, the one in the middle really does look like a severed thumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
visited some friends last week and we mostly cooked, lol.

homemade brioche.
homemade strawberry jam with basil and mint, was pretty sweet.
homemade plumb jam with no sugar, was kinda tart.
pickled corn with some white vinegar and sugar.
some basil flowers and mint from the garden.

worth the 3000 calories.

Fried tuna jaw... had to cut this bitch with a saw.

Beef tongue tacos with its consomme and grilled habaneros on the side, the green salsa had some avocado in it to make it creamy.

Left over shrimp and fish ceviche. Flashed the shrimp in the court bouillon for a few seconds before cleaning, then added back the heads and skins, then strained and mixed it back with the ceviche.

Standard...

1.5 oz gin
1 oz sparkling water
2 oz tonic
cucumber, mint, slice of lime, and rosemary

Because it was 105 F outside.

Scones for breakfast to finish the jams.

Cochinita pibil

Quelites, fresh made nixtamal tortilla.

We have no memory of eating this terrine at 2 am, but I found the picture on my phone the next morning after lots of tequila and beer... lol.

Port, brandy, curing salt.

Burrata and tomato salad with some ஜ۩۞۩ஜ_[ F A N C Y B A L S A M I C ]_ஜ۩۞۩ஜ.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 17, 2020