Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

I don't speak Chinese but I have been told this is called 熊掌豆腐, aka bear's paw tofu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
They might have been less gummy if you had cooked them. Those are uncooked.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
No fancy plating, sorry:

Masoor dal with spinach

Aloo gajar

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Raikiri posted:

Masoor Dal is delicious, did you follow a specific recipe?
Nope. Just cooked up some dal, fried up some spices, then some onions, ginger, and garlic, and mixed it all together with some spinach.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Oh boy, I had never heard of these and they look great. I'll definitely be making them at some point!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
And we call the savory ones "Yorkshire puddings."

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

tarbrush posted:

I've always wanted to make injera, is it worth doing?
I enjoy it!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Haha wow things are pretty spicy in here. Anyways I routinely put whole Sichuan peppercorns into all sorts of poo poo. I made kung pao oyster mushrooms the other day and put a bunch of whole peppercorns in there. Great stuff.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Gorgeous. That's black rice?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
lol no, latkes need to be shallow or deep fried, not cooked on a flat skillet!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
What's on top? Paprika? Sumac?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Seems like a nice dish and I would like to subscribe to your tasting menu newsletter. That seems like it would go good with some sort of lemony component.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Olpainless posted:

Yeah, I'm considering two big changes right now - crush the peas, with some chive, mint, lemon, maybe a hint of fresh chilli; and altering the puree to have a beetroot base as well (should fit in well with the earthy flavours, and look just astounding).
Edit: Maybe a shift to pine in the salt as well could help get that citrus note in as well and kind of stick to the earthy theme... decisions, decisions!
Hey why not just go loving all out and crush and then spherify the peas? Unmake nature and then remake it to your own specifications. :orb: :orb: :orb:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Good stuff. A good amchur replacement is lemon juice. Squeeze it over at the end, right before serving. The recipe writer appears to have confused aloo matar with dum aloo but whatever.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That cat is very close to the food!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some recent potato dinners from the potato thread:

Jeera Aloo (cumin potatoes)

Aloo Gobi (potatoes and cauliflower)

Aloo Patta Gobi Sabzi (potatoes and cabbage)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I feel bad about my lovely pictures but I don't feel bad about my food! Straight from the potato thread it's aloo bhindi aka potatoes plus okra. Can't recommend it enough if you've got some okra.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Another potato thread dinner: aloo rasedar.

North Indian potatoes in a tomato gravy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
That tofu looks great. Is that a whole rear end cherry tomato on the sandwich, or just cut side down?

Aloo shimla mirch ki sabzi, aka potato and green bell pepper still fry:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Moongphali bhindi, aka okra with peanuts. More or less this recipe. Very good stuff.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I basically only eat dinner, and I eat late when the sun is down, and all I really have is my phone with a half busted camera, and I can't really be bothered to white balance anything (is there any photo app for an iPhone... 5 I think, or maybe 4 which works better than the default?) so I feel bad about all my lovely pictures. But at least my food is good:

Aloo methi, aka potatoes with fenugreek leaves. Absolutely delicious.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You and everyone else making potatoes should definitely also visit the potato thread!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Dirt simple toor dal.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Kala chana

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

prayer group posted:

Hey, if you're interested in improving your food photography, try plating in something other than a dog food bowl.
In India (which is where I live), food is often served in these vessels. In any case, even if I wanted something different (I don't - I like the bowl!) the whole country is locked down right now, which means I haven't been able to fill out my extremely under-stocked kitchen (which wasn't being used before lockdown). I've been rolling out my roti with a bottle of gin for the rolling pin and a plate for the rolling surface. I have no tawa to cook them so I have to use a pan with high sides, which is inconvenient. I have no spice grinder and no mixi or blender which means I can't make a lot of foods. Sometimes I put spices in a small bowl and smash them with the bottom of my knife handle, but it feels dangerous. I have one spoon and one fork that are not rusty. So, things are a little challenging in some ways.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Khatti meethi tinda masala, aka apple gourd cooked with some spices and other stuff.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Quiet Feet posted:

Oof. That look awesome and we have tofu in the house for the first time ever but I think I want to start on something simple.

I'm using quarantine as an excuse to cut back on meat a little more but I'm not sure exactly what to do with the tofu. Thought about pad Thai but peanuts are right out because our little one has an allergy.
I love tofu! Some of my favorite recipes: bear's paw tofu, home style tofu (alternate recipe), breakfast tofu, salt and pepper tofu, steamed tofu spicy or not or spicy with mushrooms, tofu with black bean sauce (alternate recipe, another alternate), scrambled tofu, tofu soup with dipping sauce, braised tofu with mushrooms (alternate recipe), tofu salad (alternate recipe), fish fragrant tofu, ma po tofu (alternate recipe), kung pao tofu, teriyaki tofu, General Tso's tofu, tofu with avocado, hot and sour tofu... that's just a few. There are so many more!

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Cabbage parathas (flatbreads stuffed with cabbage)

Turmeric rice:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Aloo Phulkopir Chorchori

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Onion parathas and cabbage parathas. Some more info in the Indian food thread.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Moonphali wale karele ki sabzi, aka bitter gourd with peanuts.

Potatoes with green beans Punjabi style.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Vankaya ulli karam, aka eggplant stuffed with an onion paste. Very delicious.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Chawli ki phali & aloo sabzi. More details as usual in the potato thread.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Stuffed bharwa tinda (apple gourd). Extremely delicious.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sada aloo chorchori, aka Bengali potato flavored with nigella seeds, the newest addition to the potato thread. Very tasty, very simple.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

excellent bird guy posted:

Not grease, coconut oil to fry then coconut milk to make it creamy.
Hate to break it to you but coconut oil is a kind of grease.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Worst photo yet, of a Bengali version of dum aloo:

The picture is bad but the food is so, sooooo good. Can't recommend making this enough. Potato thread has recipe link.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

atothesquiz posted:

Yeah, I just say lime and leave it at that. If a place sells them, they know what I'm looking for anyways so there is no need to get into specifics.
I think the generally accepted alternate term is makrut lime. "Makrut" is also what they're generally called in Thailand so that's nice.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

I’ve had the Impossible meat and it definitely tastes pretty good. I just wish it was healthier than real meat, then it would be something I would use more.
It's healthier for the cow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Oh boy that looks really good.