Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth stripping and reseasoning my 12-inch Lodge skillet or if I should just buy a new one. When I was doing the initial home seasoning I ended up setting it upside down on something that stuck to the edge of the pan, and now it has weird spots that don't really take seasoning there and it bugs me. I don't think it's going to affect the performance of the pan but it might start to rust from there, or at least that's my worry.

On the one hand it's only like $20 to buy a new one but it also seems like a waste to abandon a perfectly functional cast iron over a seasoning fuckup.

Just strip and re-season it. You'll have to do a nice seasoning when you get the new one, so time spent is going to be about the same. No reason to give up on an otherwise perfectly fine pan. There are tons of old cast iron pans floating around that need the same thing done to them as this, and it only takes a couple hours to have a really nice seasoning to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

atothesquiz posted:

Having recently gone on an awesome vacation to Thailand, I've come home wanting to only eat Thai food. So that's what I've been making a lot of recently.

Freshly made green curry paste. Sadly I have no pictures of what the paste actually looked like but imagine a green paste.. that was spicy. I haven't worked with shrimp paste before, that was an interesting ingredient. It had a 'mole' like smell to it.

All that looks delicious. What ingredient list/ratios did you use for the green curry paste?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

atothesquiz posted:

Here ya go! It makes enough for two servings of green curry soup.. about two table spoons worth.

My wife and I took a pretty awesome cooking class in Chiang Mai. It was supposed to be an already small class of 6 people and the instructor but 4 people had to cancel suddenly so it ended up being a private cooking class. We made 5 different meals and he supplied us with a cook book of his dishes at the end of it. It was an awesome experience and I highly recommend doing something similar.

The class helped me realize that whenever I used to make stir fry at home with my woke, I was using way too much oil. When we made our dishes with the instructor, all you needed was 1.5 to 2 table spoons of oil and things didn't come out dry and definitely didn't come out oily.

Awesome thanks! That does look to be tasty. I only have a small M&P, so maybe I'll talk my wife into letting me buy a large one finally. Right after all the other stuff for my kitchen that I don't exactly need, but would be so very useful. Really, I need to just get rid of some of the newer technology stuff that I don't use and get the old standbys instead.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Toe Rag posted:

I made pasta for the first time. It was fairly easy, but I quickly learned you definitely need a pasta rack.

Looks good, and you should try finishing the pasta in the sauce and some reserved cooking liquid. You'll be amazed at the difference.

I do noodles all the time, and I only use a rack if I'm drying it. Otherwise I just wrap it into a single serving size ball and leave it sit covered on the counter under a tea towel having been dusted with flour.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jinh posted:

Sorry I didn't wanna post too many pics like last time

:bravo: That is a fine looking loaf. I only wish my sourdough came out half as well as that did.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

In sweden they have savoury versions of these too with pork or bacon but here in Finland they're mainly sweet,

That looks a similar ratio for a Pannukakku recipe that we're had in my family for 50 years at least? If I remember right, it was my mother's aunt (by marriage) who introduced it for weekend mornings. Being that you're talking about Finland, I'm guessing that's what you've made too? So American's have it too! We just got if from Finland. I pretty much add whatever fruit is in season either before baking or after.

They aren't nearly as puffy as either a Yorkshire pudding or Dutch baby. But the texture isn't completely different. Less crispy and more of a custard texture.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Sehkmet posted:

I made char siu bao today from this recipe: http://goonswithspoons.com/Home_Baked_Char_Siu_Bao_(Hum_Bao)
They were delicious. Half of them are already gone.

I make those a couple times a year. They never last. That Char Siu recipe is good in many other applications as well.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Torquemada posted:

Pork vs prawn sopes (pork wins).

Sopes wins. Those look fantastic and I would devour those.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

poop dood posted:

one of the most delicious things I’ve ever made.

It looks delicious. Making the stock always makes everything taste so much better.

Now I'm going to have to make risotto in the next couple weeks.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Raikiri posted:

I've never had it before but it looks loving incredible.

Staff meal I did today was chicken and veg pot pie, not bad for using up scraps.

I'd eat the crap out of that cassoulet too, but it really does make a difference to go a very long time. That crusty part on the top is really something that takes too much time for it to be realistic for most people, though with some crusty bread it's really dreamy.

I wish the staff dinners when I was working food service was anything nearly as good as any of those. That looks awesome, and bonus points for using up random ingredients always.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

For dinner (and future lunches) I made some Texas-style kolaches. This was a combination of feeling a little homesick and trying to figure out what to bring into work for lunch this week. This was my first attempt at kolaches and they turned out really well. This dough recipe is not quite as sweet as I'm used to from Shipley's, but they're still exactly what I wanted. Pork sausage, pickled jalapeños, and white cheddar.

Uhh, yeah. I hadn't seen those before and they look like something that would be devoured in my house. I've seen turnovers, dumplings, empanadas, and hand pies of every other persuasion, but this looks like another good addition to that stack of recipes. So any sort of recipe would be really appreciated.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Safety Factor posted:

I did a bit of research at work the other day and after reading a few recipes I settled on the Homesick Texan's dough recipe:
https://www.homesicktexan.com/2020/03/boudin-kolaches.html
She's using boudin here, but that's an easy swap. She also has a recipe for the traditional sweet kolaches and the dough is basically the same.

I got given her book a long time ago when I was living in Canada for a year and it was really solid.

Thanks very much for this. That’s a good looking enriched dough, and while maybe not sweet enough for you, probably plenty sweet for me. And that looks like a great place to use boudin too, but I think I’ll have to make it myself. I don’t know the last time I saw it anywhere by me.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

sterster posted:

Whats the point of a broiler on the bottom?

The drawer on the bottom is the broiler. I've had one like this, it blows chunks and makes zero sense to me. The drawer doesn't keep enough heat to use the broiler like you would in the oven itself, and the oven doesn't do anything good for browning because it only functions for holding heat well enough to make frozen chicken nuggets. lovely equipment is the bane of well intentioned cooks everywhere. So much so that with some of these cheap models I wonder if the people designing them have ever used an oven.

You could follow that recipe without the bricks, and that might give the skin side time to dry out and crisp up as best it'll do without a hot broiler. The oven may not be holding the temp you need either and I'd recommend getting an oven thermometer to check.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Back to the parsley debate from a little while ago, here’s a chicken parm I just made and didn’t have any parsley in the house. It’s just crying out for a little sprinkle :negative:

That looks good, but a chiffonade of basil would be really stellar too. I've been working on getting my fried food game up to that sort of par too. I always love when it sticks great the whole way around and it takes too much practice to get it right.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That looks great. GF noodle dough is so tough to work and easy to miss on the hydration. But compared to box GF noodles they’re so much better. I make them often when I visit my parents and it takes way more practice
than wheat flour noodles.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

toplitzin posted:

Beef n tater tots

You made a fine dining deconstructed version of tater tot hot dish. It looks delicious.

:hfive:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Casu Marzu posted:

Are you insinuating that normally tater tot hot dish isn't fine dining? :colbert:

No. That’s not me insinuating. That’s just a fact about TTHD. Doesn’t keep it from being delicious either way.

(It’s also still a casserole.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
As penance for being snarky about the tater tot hot dish.

I steamed a fish. It has now been completely devoured.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

sean10mm posted:

Maybe it's just my specific old cast iron boat anchor or whatever, but I didn't find this to be true at all. The rice didn't stick and the grains weren't torn up, and the second the rice hit the hot as gently caress iron I was like "oh poo poo that's the smell I wanted all along."

Like a wok over a fire is clearly the best for a long list of reasons, but at least cast iron can get arbitrarily hot even on a lovely electric stove if you wait long enough (or you can just bake the fucker at 500 lol), if you seasoned it right poo poo won't stick, and it holds enough heat that you can dump in ingredients and it will continue to fry instead of start steaming like will happen in lighter pans.

That's just what I've seen messing with different things though. The big problem with cast iron is it's awkward as poo poo and you can't quickly change the temperature of the thing because it retains so much heat (which just the flipside of its biggest advantage.)

I’d recommend a carbon steel skillet then. A lot of the same benefits for getting hot like cast iron, but will change temps better. And they’re lighter and what most good woks are made from anyway.

My cast iron does fine with rice and potatoes and sticky things too. It’s well seasoned and gets proper preheated before using. Makes all the difference. A cold cast iron pan will stick to almost every thing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Torquemada posted:

Pretty much exactly. I could have spent a bit less money (and time) and had 7 courses instead of 10. I know something about wine so I picked my own, but they provide pairings if you want to leave everything up to them. I had no idea what I was going to eat until it was put in front of me (and in some cases not even then, until one of the staff explained it). The menu at the end was just a handy souvenir.

That looks like a lovely menu and a wonderful experience. Happy anniversary, and good job not taking pictures.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pro starcraft loser posted:

Tried doing short ribs.

It certainly looks like you succeeded.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Seemed like a good night for something soft and simple.

I’d eat it no questions asked. That’s a great and delicate flavored plate. I love the multi-color carrots too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

Our cheddar went bad the other day and I tried to convince Mrs. Boitano to let me test sodium citrate on queso fresco for nachos but she wouldn't let me :smith:

It works great. For 100g of cheese I use 85g water and 4g sodium citrate. I heat the water and sodium citrate on a stove top pan so I can control the heat and have some retention to help with the consistency. Don't need to boil the queso fresco, but I find I need to add more heat if the cheese is too cold to start.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BrianBoitano posted:

I'll definitely buy excess chips and cheese next time we're at a store with queso fresco - in this case the pulled pork was her leftovers so she got to dictate whether to wait until more cheddar was acquired.

I haven't used my sodium citrate nearly enough - does it go bad?

It will eventually pick up water and turn into a solid mass, but it’s a salt and will be fine if you keep it air tight. You can just smash it up if it turns into a brick, but it is shelf stable unless it gets heated.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Human Tornada posted:

Yeah well the joke's on you guys, there's no beans in the chili, that's Greek yogurt not sour cream, and I'm only doing an airport-pickup not boarding a flight.

Screw that, it looks delicious. Pickled jalapeños are kryptonite and every dish that appropriately has them gains in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Raikiri posted:

I bought a Poussin, a lovely delicate French ingredient.

So I deboned it and made a whole chicken fried chicken sando, mozz, red onion, fresh basil and pickles.

A+ chicken cheese sandwich. Love the breading on that.