Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

IT BURNS posted:

I like the idea of pouring fire on something...

You gonna burn up old Mrs. Semple's pension check again, Trashy??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

DiomedesGodshill posted:

I don't understand the question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jaunt

Although having read the story, I don't really understand the question in relation to the quoted photo either.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ooh, vegan sloppy joe made from lentils?? Recipe please?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

kittenmittons posted:

Shakshuka with homemade baguette.

:eyepop:

That is some seriously top-tier shakshuka.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I put tons of fresh cilantro in my shakshuka when I eat it. Parsley is good too but cilantro's where it's at.

I also like to mix up my veggies. I always use peppers, but I've tried squash and zucchini, which were excellent, as well as mushrooms. The mushrooms were different, but still good.

It's basically just a tomato-based vegetable stew, so feel free to go crazy with your modifications.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dakana posted:

My wife got home today after being away for a week and a half, which is the longest we'd been apart since we started dating.

I made beef short rib ravioli!
Egg, flour, olive oil dough
Braised the short rib for 5 hours with mushroom, onion, beef broth, and white wine, then after it cooled I drained it and added marscapone and asiago - that was my filling.
Then I made a mushroom and marsala cream sauce to serve it in.

Turned out pretty goddamn delicious. Welcome home :)

Sounds delicious, but

quote:

marscapone

:what:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dakana posted:

Just a little. Quarter cup for a pound of short rib. Makes it super creamy.

:v:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A spelling mistake? On my internet?

Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine. For how many episodes of Chopped and other cooking competitions I've watched, and these ostensibly experienced cooks/chefs and food lovers of all sorts (including some celebrity types) and they pronounce it "MARSE-kuh-pone", it just drives me up the fuckin' wall.

It's the culinary equivalent of why Brett Favre's name is pronounced the way it is.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

overdesigned posted:

Then we made a dacquoise with bourbon caramel buttercream (well, really, we spent all day making it) for dessert.

:stare:

Wow.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

I tried to make salmon meuniere again and completely hosed it up :negative: The salmon was thick in some places and thin in others, so by the time the thick part was fully cooked the rest was chalky and dry. The butter sauce ended up being thin and watery, and I still haven't figured out how much I should make at a time, so I basically poured it all onto a plate and it was like a soup.

Salmon tip: fold the thin part back against itself until you have a relatively even thickness throughout, then tie it there with some butcher's twice. This will contribute to more even cooking and none of that chalky dry trash. Or, do what the previous poster said and get yourself a sous vide cooker and never have to worry about it again.

As far as the butter sauce, sounds like it wasn't emulsified. Get thee a stick blender and go to town with it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

large hands posted:

this was the first time i made Japanese style chashu so i just followed the recipe on serious eats, braised at 275 for 4 hours in a pot with the lid ajar. how do you make it in the pressure cooker?

Literally exactly the same way you made it, but instead of braising it for 4 hours, you combine the ingredients in the pressure cooker, bring to a boil, add the pork belly, put the lid on, and cook for, I dunno, 35-40 minutes?

Here's a very similar recipe specifically for the pressure cooker and she cooks it for a half hour.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

angor posted:

Parmesan crisps were WAY too thick

img-nosuchthing.png

That all looks great!!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm not a big fan of slow cookers but my wife wants to start using one to make meals that can cook throughout the day so we don't have to spend a lot of time doing so when we both get home in the evening. I took this as a challenge and decided to try my hand at red beans and rice.

24 oz. dried kidney beans
2 large yellow onions
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
Half a head of garlic
6 stalks celery
2 smoked ham hocks
1 tbsp cayenne
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp kosher salt
Handful of bay leaves (in cheesecloth for easy removal post-cook)
12 cups reduced sodium chicken stock

Most recipes have you combine the ingredients and cook the beans from dry. I prepped everything the night before and dumped it all in the crock, so this gave the beans a chance to soak in the chicken stock.

Also, you can use a smoked sausage or andouille, but my wife leans toward the vegetarian side so I only used the ham hocks for flavoring, after which I pulled them out and picked the meat off that went into my first bowl.

Cooked it on high for 4 hours, then turned to low and cooked another 3. When it was done I removed the hocks and bay, added a cornstarch slurry to thicken things up a bit, and went hog wild. It is amazingly delicious, super low effort, and enough to last for half a week of dinners for both of us. Also, this is a CHEAP dish to make. Highly recommended.

Also, using an entire tablespoon of cayenne put it right at the threshold of spiciness for my wife, who has a medium tolerance for heat. If you're making this for others, you may want to use less.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Absolutely you can freeze the salsa (though the texture may take a small hit when it's defrosted). Also, I would murder the poo poo out of those cubans. Wow.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A++ looking bagels!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Get one of these, scrub out your pan running under hot water until you've removed as much gross particulate matter as possible (please clean your pan), dry thoroughly, wipe with a super thin layer of neutral oil. Done.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Tindahbawx posted:

All this steak talk, what do you guys do if you have to do about 6 at once for your family?

I have one large cast iron griddle pan, and one slightly smaller cast iron griddle pan,l as well as various other pans and the over... how can I go about this so that I have all six steaks ready and done at the same time without making a balls up or over cooking a couple?

1) grill them
2) reverse sear them and get as many pans as possible screaming hot on the stovetop, then sear them all at the same time. It will be hectic, noisy, and smoky, but doable

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I love your Star Wars cookies and would gladly gobble them up. I think they look great.

But god drat, that wellington!! Awesome work. Sadly, I can't help you on your puff pastry woes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chicken breast stuffed with garlic and rosemary diced mushrooms, spinach, and Muenster cheese, roasted broccoli, and twice-baked potatoes.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

blixa posted:

I made me some Shepherd's Pie! May not look like much but drat it was tasty.

Before oven:

After oven:

Served:

Looks good, but broil that poo poo yo! The crispy brown top part is the best.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

camoseven posted:

I made a quiche! Onions, kale, cherry tomatoes, and rosemary with a little bit of whatever cheese I had in my fridge and a homemade crust. It never quite set (I think the tomatoes added too much liquid), but it was delicious!

For future quiches, I recommend halving the tomatoes, salting them liberally, and putting them in a strainer above a bowl. The salt will draw out a shitload of the moisture in them, and season them to boot. Not only will this prevent your quiche from having a soggy bottom and not setting, but you're also left with some delicious tomato liquid that you can use for a vinaigrette, a cocktail, or whatever.

It was chilly this weekend so I decided to use the turkey carcass I had sitting in my freezer from Thanksgiving. Pressure cooked it with onion, celery, carrot, parsley, and some peppercorns for an hour, then made some chicken soup with egg noodles:

It was by far the best chicken soup I've ever made.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Whoops, yeah, duh...all I used the roast turkey carcass for was making the stock. The chicken soup was more of the same veggies (celery, onion, carrot, parsley) and egg noodles, with a bunch of chicken breast I seared then chopped up and tossed into the stock to cook through.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

With a near-empty fridge, I freestyled dinner and tossed a mostly-full bag of chopped kale into my slow cooker with a couple quarts of bean broth leftover from pressure cooking chickpeas, with some chopped onion and a couple cloves of garlic. I also had a frozen smoked ham hock I've been meaning to use so I tossed that in there. To serve I cooked a couple cups of millet and grated a bunch of asiago into it, then put some in the bowls before ladeling the stew over it. It was the heartiest, most comforting soup/stew I could have made. The ham hock perfectly seasoned it and was definitely the magic ingredient. I use my slow cooker about once a year but this was a great application for it. Cooked for about six hours on low.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I felt you used too many onions

does not compute

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Gotcha. Goddamn that scene always makes me hungry.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Saturday was my wife's birthday and it was the fourth record-setting high temperature in a row at about 80 degrees for February, so why not uncover the grill and make kebabs?

Not pictured: shrimp and sausage, and saffron rice.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

All of the above? If you're deboning a chicken leg, you really gotta make sure to get all the tendons out. I'm not sure I would want to deal with deboning a leg in most cases, that seems like way too much work for what you get.

That recipe seems terrible in general.

Edit: I'm kinda curious what made you choose that recipe over all the other poulet a la normandy/chicken calvados recipes on Google? All recipes pretty much routinely sucks in my opinion.

Agreed, Allrecipes really sucks. I go out of my way to avoid anything from there - WAY more misses than hits.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Shepherd's pie:

Berry crumble, courtesy of my wife:

Next time I do a shepherd's pie, I think I'll do three pounds of lamb and cut back on the potato a little bit. It was absolutely delicious but could have been a little meatier.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sex Hobbit posted:

Made some tasty but kind of sad-looking cajun-spiced drumsticks a couple days ago. Anyone got any tips on how to get them to brown better? They taste good, they're super juicy and all, but under the spice they're a little anemic-looking.

When they're close to being done (~5 minutes from target temp), put them under the broiler on high until they brown nicely.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

iajanus posted:

I used up some random dough I'd made for gozleme and a steak from the freezer to make a calzone because I'm drunk and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

You have chosen....wisely.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Slow-cooked chuck roast over sauteed mushrooms and chard with garlic, shallots, and white wine vinegar, with gorgonzola polenta and jus. It was amazing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

twoday posted:

Georgian food is excellent

The Parts Unknown episode where Tony B visits Tbilisi is quite rad.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Raikiri posted:

Is there a breakfast thread? Couldn't find one so have some eggs benedict, no English muffin though.

Is that a ciabatta roll or a torta roll?

I'd demolish that. Nice yolk runnage.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Homemade corned beef using the ATK recipe. First time curing/corning brisket, and it was absolutely mouth-wateringly delicious.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

Seared venison loin, charred cabbage, gochujang-sauerkraut puree. A Wisconsin riff on KBBQ I suppose.

Awesome char on that cabbage.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

Crispy tofu...

In a garlic/sesame/ginger sauce, with broccoli.

Nice!! I love crispy tofu. Did you roast it, or pan fry it? Looks awesome.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Liquid Communism posted:

I did a Full Midwest.

Creamed chicken and noodles on mashed potatoes.

Looks great. I've been having a hankering for the comfort food of my youth, chicken thighs and rice cooked in cream of mushroom soup. You may have inspired me to whip up a batch sooner rather than later.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chicken rollatini with a not-super-appetizing-looking-but-absolutely-delicious potato/broccoli/cauliflower puree.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Bacon, lettuce, onion, avocado, tomato (BLOAT) with mayo and pickled hot pepper spread on toasted hearty white bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Kenji's NY-style pizza dough with a 3 day cold ferment, pesto base, pickled sliced hot cherry peppers and shallots (hidden), mozz/jack cheese, pepperoni, sliced olives, topped with arugula after slicing. Was awesome.