Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Friend posted:

I don't know why I did this

I don't either, but I'm glad you did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A spelling mistake? On my internet?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine. For how many episodes of Chopped and other cooking competitions I've watched, and these ostensibly experienced cooks/chefs and food lovers of all sorts (including some celebrity types) and they pronounce it "MARSE-kuh-pone", it just drives me up the fuckin' wall.

It's the culinary equivalent of why Brett Favre's name is pronounced the way it is.

yo man just chill out and have some Chipoltay

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely suck at mounting a sauce with butter. Works for me like 20% of the time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I cannot fathom why you need to pressure cook broccoli florets.

Knowing that it’s from the modernist guys, there’s sure to be a sciency explanation. Maybe having to do with cooking it fully without releasing the volatile sulfur compounds and making it smell like farts. Or maybe being able to cook it fully and keep it green. But there’s surely a reason.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Late summer calls for gazpacho:

And something new to me: lamb ribs! I had them recently at an Uzbek restaurant and came home totally jazzed to grill some myself. They are without a doubt the best thing ever.

Served with tzatziki, pita, and tomato salad:

gently caress I"ve never even seen those. Where did you find lamb ribs?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zombie Dachshund posted:

For lamb ribs, you've got two options that I can think of. Either shop somewhere that serves a lamb-eating population: I bought mine at a Russian supermarket, but I bet that a halal butcher would be able to hook you up as well. Costco sells whole, cut-up lambs. I've never bought one (just stared longingly), but I think that includes lamb breast, which is basically a rib cut.

The other idea would be to go straight to the supplier. A year ago, I bought a lamb from a farmer; I gave her instructions for how I wanted it to be butchered.

Either way, lamb ribs are awesome. I can't wait to go home tonight and finish the leftovers as I drink beer.

How did you prepare them? That picture of them makes gives me feelings that food probably shouldn't.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kumba posted:

You and me both, we almost always have a bag of each kind in our freezer when we're in the mood for a really easy dinner. Super tasty foundation for whatever else you want to add to it

Fried gnocchi is the best. As is this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkXy12xVnRs

edit: This remains one of the best videos on the internet. Makes me laugh every drat time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 25, 2017

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh drat that looks nice. Love chicken marsala and it looks like you nailed it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Doc Walrus posted:

I'm loving all these sushi posts. Do you have to use fish marked as "Sushi Grade" or just any frozen fish?

Sushi grade has no legal meaning. And pretty much anything you buy in a store was flash frozen on the boat. It needs to be flash frozen to kill parasites. Make sure it smells fresh, like the ocean but not fishy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Republicans posted:

Last night I made a frozen pizza where the instructions said to pre-heat the oven to 415° and I get mad every time I think about it. Like, where the gently caress do you get off not baking at a temp divisible by 25? Ooooooo, look at me, I'm special!

Goddamn fancy-rear end bitch pizza.

That's odd, never seen that.

Although I bake wings in the oven at 420 not because of :420: but because that seems to be just at the line where the fat smokes.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My first couple of burgs never stick, but once you have some liquid fat on there it tends to. So wipe the bottom of the spatula off between burgs, or do the smash and slide maneuver.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Last night's Nashville hot chicken, biscuits and honey butter. This morning's surprising anal burn.

I only see one picture

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Excellent crust my friend. That there is a proper sear.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tendales posted:

What I like to do is parcook the pepperoni to get the grease under control. Just lay out a single layer on a couple paper towels on a plate, and microwave for like 5-10 seconds at a time just until a bunch of the oil gets ejected, then apply to pizza as normal.

I do the same thing. Make a huge difference.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

More budgetbyes inspired stuff. Savory coconut rice with lemongrass and chicken with water chestnuts and broccoli in dragon sauce.

Looks like breast meat. Why not thighs? Thighs>breasts. Fight me.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is that kale?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can I live with you and eat your food?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ogarza posted:

Ground that bitch up real good.

Can we see more of this wonderful machine? What exactly is it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nephzinho posted:

Sign me the gently caress up. Going to try that next week for the 4th.

Beware you need a chamber vac, not a standard home vacuum sealer. They don’t provide enough compression to really do it right although I’ve seen techniques that involve freezing and doing the vac repeatedly and whatnot.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Motherfucker

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What about those electric crepe makers that you dip in the batter? That always looked cool to me but it's probably All Wrong™ for some reason.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

iajanus posted:

I roasted a lamb

Wanna eat that marrow

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ogarza posted:

It finally snowed and I got to use my clay pot.

I made some cuts on the orange and stuck a couple of cloves on there, put it in whole to boil for a few minutes then took it out, didn't squeeze the juice.

My house smells amazing.

Tell me more. Making something to eat or drink or just a potpourri or what?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

After moving home from China I have noticed that American home hoods are usually not connected to anything. Maybe in Japan they have actual exhaust fans.

Pretty sure code these days requires them to be vented but that wasn’t always the case.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheAardvark posted:

In Japan? Because they're definitely not required in the U.S. You can still buy ductless range hoods at any Home Depot or Lowes.

I’m talking about new construction. Of course they still sell ventless for the millions of homes that don’t fall under that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Yeah, my house is just over a year old and our "hood" vents directly onto the cabinets above the range.

Interesting. It looks like the IRC requires it, but I'm guessing a lot of municipalities haven't adopted it, or if they did they amended it out.

(This is apparently for Texas, and every state/municipaltiy that adopts it tends to amend it):

https://up.codes/viewer/texas/irc-2015/chapter/15/exhaust-systems#M1503

edit:

here's my state, which amended it so as to be meaningless:

M1503.1 General

Range hoods shall discharge to the outdoors through a duct. The duct serving the hood shall have a smooth interior surface, shall be air tight, shall be equipped with a back-draft damper and shall be independent of all other exhaust systems. Ducts serving range hoods shall not terminate in an attic or crawl space or areas inside the building.

Exception: Where installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, and where mechanical or natural ventilation is otherwise provided, listed and labeled ductless range hoods shall not be required to discharge to the outdoors.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

excellent bird guy posted:

Nah it's good. It's a greasy cut of pork something (chop? shoulder? Whatever was the cheapest). And a chicken thigh. I LIKE fat. It fills you up. My teeth are so good because the fat is protective.

Hey I just want to say I'm loving your gimmick never stop posting. Good stuff.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

even worse gimmick than nooner

The thing about gimmick posters is they think they're succeeding when people hate their schtick. It's like walking into a grocery store and making GBS threads on the floor just so you can brag to your friends later about how people reacted.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kumba posted:

A coworker gave me a bag of bitter oranges, and when life gives you bitter oranges, you make mojo

And now to wait while this chills in the fridge for a week or two

Are you my girlfriend? Half her storage options are Talenti containers.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get yourself some sodium citrate and make a cheese sauce with milk/sodium citrate/quality cheese. Takes maybe 5-10 minutes more than Kraft Mac and cheese but way better.

(Don’t get me wrong, I keep Kraft around for the kids. It’s a classic. But quality Mac and cheese is easy to make with the right ingredients)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Halloween Liker posted:

The online charade that no one eats like a normal person is so tiring to read.

We all eat like normal people. We all eat good food sometimes, and garbage food other times. I would suggest, however, that a thread for posting dinner pics in a cooking forum is more geared toward those times you make good food. Inspire others, give them ideas, show off what you made. No reason to post the garbage.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mr Owl posted:

Made Bao from scratch, slightly too big but still amazing!

That looks really loving tasty

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looks good to me. Are those chickpeas? What else?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You can also use beer or milk as the liquid for your cheese sauce. And I think Modernist Cook says to whisk it if it’s for a cheese sauce that you want more stringy and use an immersion blender to shear it if it’s to be used for Mac and cheese and the like.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

Thank you! It really ended up tasting amazing - a good sign was that pretty much every piece of meat was gone after 5 minutes, and by the end of the night my roommate was arguing with me about who would get to gnaw on the bone - so much flavor on that thing.

Only sad thing is that I bought that cut of meat like 2 weeks ago at my local grocery store, and I haven't seen another one being sold there since then - for that matter I don't really remember ever seeing it on sale before then, either. I'd love to buy another one (it was a Swift "Bone-in Frenched Ribeye") but have no clue where I'd even go to find another one. Costco, I guess? I suppose it's finally time to became a member there...

Just talk to the butcher. A lot of stores will get in whatever you want. My place, the guy just adds it to his next order. This may have been the same thing, and he ordered extra or it didn't get picked up by whoever requested it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We keep Dukes, Hellman's and Kewpie around. they all have their uses. Hellmans is more balanced tasting IMO, Duke's is more acidic, and Kewpie is...Kewpie.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Way too much pancit bihon

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At first I thought you made a gloopy bernaise. But the potatoes look good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s always good when people throw up after eating your food.