Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Random Hero posted:

It's a recipe that I got from an Asian cooking class at the CIA in NY:

1 Cup Light Soy Sauce
1 Cup Sake
3/4 Cup Mirin
1/2 Cup Sugar (I usually cut this down a bit)
1/2 Cup Grated Apple

Add soy, sake, mirin and sugar to a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the grated apple and reduce the heat slightly. Let it simmer for awhile, 10-15m, to thicken a bit. Remove from heat and let cool. Strain.

I then use some of the sauce to marinate the meat before grilling or finishing in a pan, and then thicken the sauce even more by simmering in a pot and adding a little cornstarch slurry. I pour the thickened sauce over the meat before I serve. I also like to add thai red chiles to the sauce with the apples to add some heat to it as well.

I've made teriyaki a bunch of times and have never heard of the grated apple step. Is it noticeable and worth the effort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Easy weeknight Valentine's with sous vide t-bone and chimichurri (shouts out Random Hero's from last page) with Kenji's 3-ingredient mac and cheese and some steamed broccolini.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

It was just about as easy as making it from a box and a whole lot better.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Decided to try and fancy up salmon teriyaki by crisping the skin on it own. It was tasty.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Reverse seared some really good pork chops out on the grill with some veggies.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

If you really want SUPER crispy chicken (like for wings), do the j. kenji lopez alt method: 50/50 mix of corn starch and salt, let them sit out in a fridge uncovered for a day, and then bake at a high temperature. Works great. I have not tried this for legs yet, but kind of want to.

I have and it comes out really good, though I used baking powder per his wings recipe. Not sure if it makes a difference as they both work at getting as much moister out as possible. It works ok for thighs as well, but the non skin side isn't the prettiest.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Made a turchetta over the weekend for the first time. Had to sear on the baking steel cause it was too big for my cast iron skillet.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Olpainless posted:

Serious eats recipe? And that looks incredible. I'm really tempted to try and make one for Christmas dinner this year.
Yes and it was really nice to be able to all the prep work 48hrs ahead of time. This was for a dinner party on Saturday night and I had a pretty busy day ahead of time, so it was nice to only need a little over 2 hours to have it ready to serve. Now i have all the dark meat in the freezer that'll probably get ground up for burgers.

edit: we thought the whole pepper corns were a little intense and next time I make will probably grind those coarsely instead. I thought the food processor would break them up more but most were still whole.

snyprmag fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 10, 2018

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

soba with tofu, mushrooms, chard and egg in turkey broth

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

made chicken sandwiches for Kenji's Twitter drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

First time making duck breast at home; used Kenji's cold pan method.always loved it at restaurants, but finally bought a whole bird and broke it down. Now to try con fit for the legs and wings.