Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Deconstructed Beouf Bourguinon. The ingredients were cooked separately to maximize their individual potential before plating them together. Buttery glazed carrots, pearl onions, beef chuck roast cooked for 60 hours at 135*F, white corn polenta, and a rich red wine sauce.

Dessert plate: Apple compote in a crepe, with a scoop each of cardamom+lemongrass ice cream and apple+earl grey tea sorbet. I also brought forth the power of the elements by setting the dish on FIRE with brandy. The ice cream/sorbet were made to be chemically heat resistant, so they didn't melt at all even when I poured flaming brandy on them. Also a yummy glance at my hella buff forearm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah that's the way to do it if you aren't gonna do tableside flambe on a hot plate. Warm up a pan on the stove just enough so that the brandy will evaporate a bit when you pour it in, pour in the brandy, and light that fucker up since the alcohol is fuming.

Some of the alcohol will still remain, but the presentation is loving awesome.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

sweat poteto posted:

Mmm, never had mapo because pork. What's the recipe?

If you're not a vegetarian ground chicken will work just fine. If you're vegetarian, maybe substitute with a small quantity of minced mushrooms instead.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
First attempt at Peking Duck. I didn't bother to make it all that pretty since I was more concerned with troubleshooting, but I'm still proud of getting this done.

And yes I confess I am using tortillas for now. That I am not proud of.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

theres a will theres moe posted:

Here's a super-lovely pic of some 'west African sweet potato and peanut soup' from some cooks illustrated book. The soup is good.

I know jack poo poo about cuisine from that entire continent. What distinguishes it as West African?

quote:

How was it? Any notes?

Skin was amazingly crispy. I'll want to make this long beforehand because the glaze can reabsorb water from the air, but I may just resolve this by re-drying it in the oven before service. I also have to take care that the glaze doesn't get too browned since it can get that bitter burnt sugar taste and I don't want that.

The duck meat was nice and tender but it needs to be seasoned more. I went much lighter on the salt since I knew the hoisin sauce would be salty enough on its own, but the duck meat itself didn't have a sufficient amount of flavor. Some garlic powder and ginger would improve it along with increasing the amount of five spice powder. I may even toss the meat with a glaze of reduced marsala wine to give an even deeper flavor.

Scallions were a bit too sharp. I may need to use milder leeks, or perhaps chives instead.

Extra-soft tortillas were surprisingly good for the wrap. It seems soooo crass to not use sweet steamed bao buns for a special luxury food like Peking Duck (the clamshell ones that you stuff meat into), but this was quite acceptable for a first pass attempt.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rurutia posted:

What recipe did you use? I've been making peking duck multiple times a year for 5 years now and I still can't figure out the right technique for perfect skin.

I winged it based on what I knew and my past experience working with duck. Came out pretty decently.

The trick for me was to actually do away with the traditional method and just peel off the entire duck skin Ramsay Bolton style. Season it, stretch it out on a wire rack, let it air-dry in the fridge for two days, then render the fat out low and slow in the oven, about 250 degrees F for an hour. The great majority of the fat should drain out. Once that's done brush on the glaze and roast again just to caramelize the sugars.

Cook the breasts and legs separately. I used sous vide.

EDIT:

Random Hero posted:

Cross-post from the sous vide thread... Picked up this amazing Akaushi bavette before the weekend:

Sous vide @ 132 for 2 hours, pan-seared and served with chimichurri:

Get this bitch inside me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rurutia posted:

Oh. :(

I'm trying to find a way to do it on the duck. There's a place local to me that does it that way and it's BEAUTIFUL. You have to do it on the duck to get the proper slices of crispy skin because the carving method is meant to take bits of meat with the skin.

I've done it deconstructed as well and it works alright, albeit a makes me feel like I'm betraying my heritage.

My view is that the quality of the end product is more important than sticking to traditional techniques. Plenty of French techniques have been called into question recently and modernized cooking methods make better food.

China has both been defined by and hamstrung by its adherence to tradition. I'd rather see things move forward than stay stagnant. Besides, my family is from Hubei province so we're not all that hung up on Beijing traditionalism. ;)