Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
is it possible that drm and poo poo could make a comeback? I know the recording industry is gonna try and promote their point of view irt copyrights with him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i wish they'd drm your posts

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

intel trumpsted platform module

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
spotify but for handjobs

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

uber but for mensch

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
trello but for incense

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
sony cd copy protection (defeated with black marker) but with legislation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the black cds for the playstation were badass

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
the new thing will be to slowly corrupt your games with 99999 hp bosses and distort reality. like i was pirating 320 vbr ogg for my favorite song, disturbia by rhianna, and it went bum bum be-dum, then the next line was be-dum bum bum which i know is NOT correct. i looked it up and apparently this is the new riaaa version to destroy piracy by inducing prodomal shizophrenia. stay safe goons

pram
Jun 10, 2001
esoteric drm

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Xaris posted:

the new thing will be to slowly corrupt your games with 99999 hp bosses and distort reality. like i was pirating 320 vbr ogg for my favorite song, disturbia by rhianna, and it went bum bum be-dum, then the next line was be-dum bum bum which i know is NOT correct. i looked it up and apparently this is the new riaaa version to destroy piracy by inducing prodomal shizophrenia. stay safe goons

not as advanced, but i was always wondering how difficult it would be for them to just watch the top five or ten torrent sites and then spam a bunch of counterfeit torrents. the schizo idea is cool and totally works afaik, though i still dont pay for music

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

esoteric drm

handed down through generations

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Xaris posted:

the new thing will be to slowly corrupt your games with 99999 hp bosses

it's been done

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e91q5BtlxK0

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

build a firewall and make the pirate bay pay for it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

crusader_complex posted:

not as advanced, but i was always wondering how difficult it would be for them to just watch the top five or ten torrent sites and then spam a bunch of counterfeit torrents. the schizo idea is cool and totally works afaik, though i still dont pay for music

madonna posted:

what the gently caress do you think you’re doing?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
the psx cds were actually blue but a really dark blue

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

flakeloaf posted:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

crusader_complex posted:

not as advanced, but i was always wondering how difficult it would be for them to just watch the top five or ten torrent sites and then spam a bunch of counterfeit torrents.

this used to happen occasionally on a tv show release/upload blog but idk if it was the media network itself doing it or just trolls doing it.

they'd just replace the latest sony/nbc comedy show with 22 minutes of old, perhaps public domain films and spam various megaupload-y links to them

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
my joke at brexit was that the brits would build a wall to keep the immigrants out and make the romans pay for it, but everyone probably said that

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

echinopsis posted:

the black cds for the playstation were piss

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

That Robot posted:

is it possible that drm and poo poo could make a comeback? I know the recording industry is gonna try and promote their point of view irt copyrights with him

come back from what precisely? its complete success in all matters other than precisely music?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
drm hasn't been successful anywhere. what has been successful is making streaming cheap enough and easy enough to make it more attractive than piracy. that streaming services use drm is irrelevant both in that it has no impact on the success of the service and is incapable of preventing piracy. in fact, for streaming video services that provide TV releases same day as broadcast, they provide superior quality video with no ads to take out so they make piracy easier. the drm has no effect.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Shaggar posted:

drm hasn't been successful anywhere. what has been successful is making streaming cheap enough and easy enough to make it more attractive than piracy. that streaming services use drm is irrelevant both in that it has no impact on the success of the service and is incapable of preventing piracy. in fact, for streaming video services that provide TV releases same day as broadcast, they provide superior quality video with no ads to take out so they make piracy easier. the drm has no effect.

shaggar was right

unfortunately streaming is already starting to fall on its rear end as multiple streaming services spring up and each demand exclusive rights to content, and everybody's catalog shrinks (see: netflix). Streaming is cool and good but gently caress the prospect of having to pay for multiple/numerous streaming services

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

industry should just open a gazelle based tracker and charge for access / seedboxes. nerds on the internet are already dropping big $$$ on piracy, it isnt an issue of not paying anymore

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah the reluctance to pay is exactly this:

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Streaming is cool and good but gently caress the prospect of having to pay for multiple/numerous streaming services

there are also loads of things you still cant get over streaming subs.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

maybe i'm just an immoral person but i didn't feel remorse when downloading something the rights holder wouldn't/couldn't sell me

img-theoatmeal.jpg etc

burning swine
May 26, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

industry should just open a gazelle based tracker and charge for access / seedboxes. nerds on the internet are already dropping big $$$ on piracy, it isnt an issue of not paying anymore

I'd pay for that

problem is the numerous industry players would never come to a consensus on how to divvy up the profits, and I feel like they also don't like the prospect of customers having persistent copies of things anymore

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

I feel like they also don't like the prospect of customers having persistent copies of things anymore

Ding ding ding

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

Ding ding ding

https://media.netflix.com/en/company-blog/downloads-make-it-even-easier-to-watch-netflix-on-the-go ?

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
That's still completely under the control of Netflix and they can disable your media at any time.

The future of media is pay-per-use. Comcast and friends are down with that beause once you're hooked, you get usage caps / metered service and they get a cut of every media use.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

you're right of course as usual, nothing says gently caress you quite like wrapping your whole collection of something inside a drm wrapper and then quietly going out of business

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
This also ties into the teaser poo poo Amazon does, first season is free with Prime but you're paying per season or episode after that.

The future will literally be that Philip K Dick novel where the protagonist had to put a quarter in his door to leave his apartment.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

shaggar was right

unfortunately streaming is already starting to fall on its rear end as multiple streaming services spring up and each demand exclusive rights to content, and everybody's catalog shrinks (see: netflix). Streaming is cool and good but gently caress the prospect of having to pay for multiple/numerous streaming services

Yeah, netflix was pretty drat good several years ago and there was almost no reason to bother with torrents or w/e anymore. Now its getting hacked up with nothing but direct2vhs sequels that you couldn't pay people to watch and some other garbage, maybe if your lucky there will be a random Season 3 out of X good show available. th ats why Netflix has been pushing original content, some of it pretty drat good actually so I can't complain about that but it does mean it'll eventually just be the Netflix Original Channel + garbage.

i would be ok even paying 2x for additional netflix subscription if it meant i had access to the library they had like 4 years ago.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i just buy shows i like on dvd or bluray and then watch them

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i don't know how persistent or permanent a cached DRM-encrypted file sitting on your mobile device's temp folder is

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

it affords me time to attack it and turn it into a useful format

i don't mean me personally of course, i am an average consumer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why were playstation discs black anyway?

• Locked thread