Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Recently a thing happened.

A minor political derail started over in the Cold War thread. It was mostly my fault, because I wall of texted on current politics because I thought I was in the trash fire politics thread. What happened, however, was about a page and a half of pretty interesting conversation about politics in a surprisingly civil tone. Someone actually PM'd me to ask if we could have a politics thread because that was a neat discussion and it absolutely killed me to tell him that the steaming pile we had was what passed for TFR politics discussion.

So we're going to try an experiment. I'm rebooting the politics thread with one major new addition.

Be loving civil human beings in this thread. Discuss politics with each other. Disagree with each other. Argue with each other. Just do so in a way that is more about actually talking about the issues rather than dropping your hot take on why another poster is a crypto-fascist or SJW pussy.

Just so we're all on the same basic page, here is roughly what I'm talking about.

quote:

Please go down to your local old folks home and call all those WW2 vet pathetic because they like totally haven't risked their lives *lately*, what lazy fucks right?

And your simultaneously calling a famous civil rights leader's actions "pathetic" and in the same breath suggesting that, of course, liberal are the *real* racists is another delicious show of doublethink

quote:

Seriously there are so many ways you could make legitimate points about the lefts issues and their lovely campaign and candidate and somehow you still every time decide to say: no, men and women who are better citizens than I will ever dream of being are literal children because they disagree with me in some areas hahahah you knob

quote:

Can you change your own diaper after your tantrum is over? thanks

quote:

no i'm calling his gun control sit in pathetic and him a whiny baby despite his past actions. 2016 (now 17) != 1963, what he does today isn't the same as selma

i spelled it out for you because you are too dense to parse simple language

also lol at you handwaving away cilnton's super predators remark. yes, the strategy of calling everyone else racists has worked wonderfully for the last few decades. keep it up maybe the republicans will control even more states

That entire conversation could be had without making it about the other people being dense knobs that are literal children too stupid to grasp your wisdom. Whether or not a civil rights activist gets a pass on calling a president illegitimate because he dislikes him is a good conversation to have. We just don't need to throw in all the other poo poo where the combined baggage of 10+ years of two posters arguing on the internet gets condensed into petty insults.

Please feel free to bullshit about whatever else too. Cool endangered steppe cat was a nice derail away from politics.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Can I still make fun of PCOS for being a Hitler supporter?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

The John Lewis thing makes me curious about TFR's feelings on Charlton Heston.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Sick, my quote made it into the op of a megathread

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

I'm hoping one word posts will still be grounds for probation?
Also posts promoting politicians with nothing but catchphrases and dates.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 16, 2017

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Sperglord Actual posted:

He warned us of the dangers of Soylent Green. Good enough for me.

Edit for politics chat not politician chat:
Do we think the NRA will actually keep feet to the fire on removing suppressors from the NFA and national concealed carry, or are they going to now be content to sit around and do nothing because the GOP is in control?

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jan 16, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I ate too much crab and transformed into this.

Double post.

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OxlExtAkVSk

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

I'm hoping one word posts will still be grounds for probation?
Also posts promoting politicians with nothing but catchphrases.

All the old established rules, customs, and bylawys still apply. All I'm trying to do here is elevate things from "lol dumb [fascist/liberal] cuntcookie" to actual conversations about why people think certain things and why other people disagree with them. Yes this might require people to type a few words.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Never before have I wished I could make an auto-playing video wallpaper for a thread.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what if i am a cryptofascist SJW crybaby, is this the thread for me?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

So where's the new Retard Swamp?

Failing that, this is the post I call you the worst mod.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

what if i am a cryptofascist SJW crybaby, is this the thread for me?

No that's the current events thread in gip

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006
I ran crying to the mods because someone bought me a title with naughty words in it. (twice!)
I am the world's softest bitch and you you should remind me of it forever. If this text is gone it's because I couldn't handle being a fucking loser.

Smellrose

Sperglord Actual posted:

He took a courageous stand on the issue of drat Dirty Apes putting their paws on him.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

LingcodKilla posted:

Double post.

drat, man, this is prime page 1 real estate!

Polish rotations seem fun. As long as you aren't getting shelled. https://www.defense.gov/News/Article/Article/1048463/eucom-commander-us-armored-brigades-deployment-to-poland-significant

As Marine F-35s go to Japan, Airmen await impending change in curfew hours. http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/12/politics/marines-f-35-stealth-jets-deploy-to-japan/

also unexpected cat derails own.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

I will be checking all your citations.

All of them.

B[

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Insane Totoro posted:

I will be checking all your citations.

All of them.

B[

Go back to playing bad video games, Totoro

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

PerrineClostermann posted:

Is that what he's spending his money on these days?

For shame, Totoro, for shame.

says the man who posts routinely in the MWO thread

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Your posting is a bad video game.

(unless you cite, don't even bother to write)

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

Is that game still bad?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

various cheeses posted:

Is that game still bad?

It's fun enough. I have friends who play it. If you left it a year ago or whatever because you thought it sucked it probably won't offer anything to you, but it keeps me engaged enough to log in for a couple hours every few days.

edit: PGI are still a total dumpster fire, though.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!

Cyrano4747 posted:

I still shoot occasionally but I had an epiphany about life in general over the last few months and am trying to live a more minimalist lifestyle while being a lot more of a brutal realist about how the world works.

To be honest I have just kinda hit the age where gun culture just wears on you. And there's bigger fish in the world to fry. Like academic publishing. And I mean both publishing my own poo poo and helping other people write their stuff too.

Improving the general quality of discourse has always been a core mission in my line of work.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

In the end, we've all learned a valuable lesson: Even bad video games are better than good politics.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's fun enough. I have friends who play it. If you left it a year ago or whatever because you thought it sucked it probably won't offer anything to you, but it keeps me engaged enough to log in for a couple hours every few days.

edit: PGI are still a total dumpster fire, though.

I just kind of lost interest after most of the goons stopped playing. Also they nerfed my favorite light mechs. It's not a terrible game, it could just be so much better I guess.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Insane Totoro posted:

To be honest I have just kinda hit the age where gun culture just wears on you.

I hate "gun culture" but my collection's never been bigger. What's wrong with me?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

various cheeses posted:

I just kind of lost interest after most of the goons stopped playing. Also they nerfed my favorite light mechs. It's not a terrible game, it could just be so much better I guess.

Good news, MW5 is a thing that's actually happening. I mean, it's PGI making it, but it's SP only because they don't want to dilute their MWO brand. I'm cautiously looking forward to that because SP MW was always what I really wanted. Oh, as an added bonus they're making it in a different engine. The footage I saw looked a lot better than MWO.

Even BETTER news is that the BT game should be coming out this year. Im pretty sure that's going to eat all my MWO time, especially since my old table top buddy also pre-ordered it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

infrared35 posted:

I hate "gun culture" but my collection's never been bigger. What's wrong with me?

We all ask that every time you post one of your pistols.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

BT is just one of those IPs that is too cool to die, but not mainstream enough to be really great. Hopefully they don't gently caress it up being

Like imagine if we could get a AAA Battlefield game set in the BT universe. Fug

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

since this thread is about Russian cats, is it true that happycat is a stuffed mannequin?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

stealie72 posted:

Do we think the NRA will actually keep feet to the fire on removing suppressors from the NFA and national concealed carry, or are they going to now be content to sit around and do nothing because the GOP is in control?

Who knows. Again, my bet is it perishes in the filibuster pile, then again the expansion of carry in Natl. parks passed with a half democratic congress under Obama.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Good news, MW5 is a thing that's actually happening. I mean, it's PGI making it, but it's SP only because they don't want to dilute their MWO brand. I'm cautiously looking forward to that because SP MW was always what I really wanted. Oh, as an added bonus they're making it in a different engine. The footage I saw looked a lot better than MWO.

Even BETTER news is that the BT game should be coming out this year. Im pretty sure that's going to eat all my MWO time, especially since my old table top buddy also pre-ordered it.

I broke the don't pre-order video games rule for it. But Harebrained has never let me down with anything they've KS'ed so far.

Oscar Wilde Bunch fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 16, 2017

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Who knows. Again, my bet is it perishes in the filibuster pile, then again the expansion of carry in Natl. parks passed with a half democratic congress under Obama.

I broke the don't pre-order video games rule for it. But Harebrained has never let me down with anything they've KS'ed so far.

Didn't the DNC nuke filibusters to push through ACA?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

A.o.D. posted:

Didn't the DNC nuke filibusters to push through ACA?

No, they got 60 votes to end cloture. Also that's not a thing the DNC can even do?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

mlmp08 posted:

No, they got 60 votes to end cloture. Also that's not a thing the DNC can even do?

I want to say they got cloture on the first vote, but Brown got elected and broke their filibuster proof majority by the time the reconciled bill came around and they had to use some parliamentary trickery to get the final bill passed. The same parliamentary trickery the R's plan to use to repeal it.

The democrats did nuke the filibuster for Presidential appointments, if that's what you're thinking of.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

I really should have paid more attention.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Yeah, Harebrained is up on my white-list of companies that I'll jump on a KS for if it looks like something I want to play enough that I know I'll buy it when it comes out anyways. THey're also a loving masterclass in what a good kickstarter looks like - the list of people that have completed similar projects before, the clear vision of what the product is, the defined and attainable stretch goals, a clear plan for completing it and a well thought out timetable for doing so, etc.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

It never went back to the senate for cloture vote again, as it had already passed the senate and subsequent alterations were budgetary in nature only, meaning various House Democrats didn't get to make amendments they wanted to and they didn't dare send it back to the senate lest it fail altogether.

So it passed cloture and the senate vote with 60 votes, received budgetary amendments in the house, Obama issued an executive order to assuage the pro-life Democrat block, and it passed into law.

So final tally was that it passed Senate 60 to 39, and passed House by some number I don't recall that was rather close.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

stealie72 posted:

Legalized suppressors don't look to be a huge industry moneymaker and their base isn't married to them like they were to their AR, so the HPA is probably more valuable to the NRA as a dead bill they can wave around as a symbol of liberal intransigence than a law.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sperglord Actual posted:

I'll have to google who that is.

PCOS Bill posted:

So where's the new Retard Swamp?

Failing that, this is the post I call you the worst mod.

#paxcyrano

Cyrano4747 posted:

You guys make me feel old because I don't know what the poo poo you are talking about

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

You guys make me feel old because I don't know what the poo poo you are talking about

Lol I'm pretty sure battletech falls firmly into "child of the 80s" territory. It was a tabletop fighting mech wargame (think WH40k but for people not cool enough for WH40k) in the 80s, then a series of simulator and strategy computer games in the 90-00s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

https://youtu.be/8RWlt8tFhbk

• Locked thread