Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol I'm pretty sure battletech falls firmly into "child of the 80s" territory. It was a tabletop fighting mech wargame (think WH40k but for people not cool enough for WH40k) in the 80s, then a series of simulator and strategy computer games in the 90-00s.

Acroynms, one of my last weaknesses.Some of those games are amazing but we can all agree that sometimes the ball was dropped.

This is one of the creepest videos I have clicked on in TFR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

This is one of the creepest videos I have clicked on in TFR

I'll make it up to you:

https://youtu.be/hODF9SgpnII

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-labels-nato-obsolete-newspaper-interview-223436534.html

Kinda ties back into some of the stuff we were talking about in the older thread. Whether or not you believe Russia even attempted to, much less had any influence on the election the line that Trump has taken really runs afoul of NATO. I'd argue that his posturing and eagerness to make much better relations with Russia will end up with us more willing to overlook more things like what happened to Ukraine / Crimea. ie if "unidentified revolutionary Russian sympathizers" rolled into a couple former satellite USSR states our incoming government might be a lot more likely to say "See these guys aren't even Russians, they are just some upset locals".

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

This is great in many ways. Thank you

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

That Works posted:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-labels-nato-obsolete-newspaper-interview-223436534.html

Kinda ties back into some of the stuff we were talking about in the older thread. Whether or not you believe Russia even attempted to, much less had any influence on the election the line that Trump has taken really runs afoul of NATO. I'd argue that his posturing and eagerness to make much better relations with Russia will end up with us more willing to overlook more things like what happened to Ukraine / Crimea. ie if "unidentified revolutionary Russian sympathizers" rolled into a couple former satellite USSR states our incoming government might be a lot more likely to say "See these guys aren't even Russians, they are just some upset locals".

Absolutely; albeit our response to invading Ukraine amounted to moderate sanctions in the first place; whatever plan the neoliberals had to eat the Warsaw Pact was dead in the water from the moment Bush blew all our political cred and warmongering capitol on Iraq instead. We're gonna pretty much just let Russia reassume its Cold War turf and so long as Putin doesn't push into German borders fine, whatever, those countries weren't making us money anyway.

At least until 2021, when President Chelsea Clinton launches an unprovoked nuclear first strike on Moscow in order to "show strength"

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 16, 2017

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Absolutely; albeit our response to invading Ukraine amounted to moderate sanctions in the first place; whatever plan the neoliberals had to eat the Warsaw Pact was dead in the water from the moment Bush blew all our political cred and warmongering capitol on Iraq instead. We're gonna pretty much just let Russia reassume its Cold War turf and so long as Putin doesn't push into German borders fine, whatever, those countries weren't making us money anyway.

At least until 2021, when President Chelsea Clinton launches an unprovoked nuclear first strike on Moscow in order to "show strength"

Belarus, Latvia and Estonia then. Will be interesting to see if Russia ultimately makes a play against Turkey.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Speaking of Bush, Lewis had some petty thoughts about him too

Conquest7706
May 20, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lol I'm pretty sure battletech falls firmly into "child of the 80s" territory. It was a tabletop fighting mech wargame (think WH40k but for people not cool enough for WH40k) in the 80s, then a series of simulator and strategy computer games in the 90-00s.

The tabletop game still exists, and even has a quite good unofficial computer version

Granted catalyst or whoever owns the rights to everything now is being kind of terrible about handling the IP, thank god MWO is popular and Weisman/Harebrained are making their thing.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

PCOS Bill posted:

Speaking of Bush, Lewis had some petty thoughts about him too

At least he's consistent

The real question is, did he attend in 2004

MrTuffPaws
Feb 7, 2005

Strange. They don't have slit purples like other cats.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

walgreenslatino posted:

At least he's consistent

The real question is, did he attend in 2004

There was no 2004 inauguration.

He attended in 2005, as far as I can tell, but it's kinda hard to pin down.

The above image is obviously not from any inauguration.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 16, 2017

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

RIP in Pieces old thread.

Also PGI is the company that gave me my bitter "No Preorders" policy after its dumpster fire handling of MWO. Legendary Founder, spent plenty of money, loving met Russ at that early Nvidia tournament in San Jose and shook the guy's hand (Though I did get a cool vidya card out of that tournament)... It wasn't just not meeting the expectations, but all the loving lying and the way they loving handled everything. Terrible. Haven't booted up MWO for a long time. Did they at least nail down the war game element decently?

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

The retard thread was not just for lovely politics but also the successor to the news thread, and the overheard stupid poo poo thread, both of which topics inevitably descend into lovely politics, but are still good threads to have anyway. I would like to keep the retard thread (which IMHO is a good and necessary outgas valve / quarantine) and also try to have this civil-discourse politics / Russian cats thread too. Basically what I'm trying to say is I consider Cyrano an illegitimate mod and won't be attending his inauguration.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Someone on an imageboard gave me documents which clearly state that Cyrano hired Russians to pour cosmoline on a bed while he talked about anime with Pitch. I have not yet verified these documents but I will be making a statement about them shortly.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Doubt it. Relations between the governments can be strained at times but there is massive mutual benefit and no real strategic land. The factories are about all Ivan would want and those are really cenered around lightly modernized old Russian products, anyway.

Belarus is stable and need more worry about its own jackboot authoritarian state that keeps the order.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Also tbh upon further examination of these photos of John Lewis I find it hard to tell the difference between photos of John Lewis and photos of Elijiah Cummings at a glance.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Proof of Cyrano's Russian connections:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Really, the Russians? Gremans, I'd believe...

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

stealie72 posted:

Really, the Russians? Gremans, I'd believe...

Were those the guys from Star Trek Nemesis?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I don't believe any more European states are at risk to Russian invasion. Too many states hostile towards Russia are basically itching for them to say, invade Estonia which is why I prefer a thawing of our relations. The US can offer a carrot, while states like Poland and other European states can be the stick. Though I also don't think we should withdraw our military support of these Eastern European nations

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

frunksock posted:

The retard thread was not just for lovely politics but also the successor to the news thread, and the overheard stupid poo poo thread, both of which topics inevitably descend into lovely politics, but are still good threads to have anyway. I would like to keep the retard thread (which IMHO is a good and necessary outgas valve / quarantine) and also try to have this civil-discourse politics / Russian cats thread too. Basically what I'm trying to say is I consider Cyrano an illegitimate mod and won't be attending his inauguration.

Feel free to use this thread for everything that the old retard thread was used for. Overheard stupid poo poo / gun owner insanity / news / cat memes / serious politics are all good and fine. So far the last 2 pages are about 60% videogame thread by volume.

Basically I'm just sick and loving tired of paging through this thread and finding post after post of people just screeching at each other and throwing out the lowest effort insults. Talk about the superbowl (pats suck), Russian cats (are cute), MechWarrior Online (dumpster fire), or whether Putin is pulling the strings in American government (his check hasn't cleared yet), idgaf.

Just don't treat each other like trash. I was able to go whatever when the election was in full swing but jesus gently caress this place doesn't need god knows how many more years of it.

Here, let's just take a page from loving BYOB of all places:

BYOB rules thread posted:

1. behave like adults and treat each other with respect.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.

Insane Totoro posted:

Were those the guys from Star Trek Nemesis?

Goddammit

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007

Can some explain what the gently caress this altright bullshit is. It looks like to me that the Democrats created the term during the election to conflate real honest to god racists with the republicans and it back fired on them and now sjws and hillbots are running rampant with it.

Is that about right.

I also move to make using the word sycophant banable in this thread.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

The Pope posted:

Can some explain what the gently caress this altright bullshit is. It looks like to me that the Democrats created the term during the election to conflate real honest to god racists with the republicans and it back fired on them and now sjws and hillbots are running rampant with it.

Is that about right.

To some people, it's a far-right movement that includes a central component of white supremacy and white nationalism. To others, it'a an anti-establishment, anti-globalist brand of conservatism that includes nationalism, but not white-nationalism.

There are people who identify as "alt-right" who believe it means the former, and those who believe it means the latter. The Democrats, as you say, during the campaign, did a pretty good job of defining it exclusively as the former, and lumping people who probably only identify with the latter into the same category.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

If my cat is not russian, but I include a pic of a a russian made Mosin with a triangle and arrow stamp is that okay? I'm not really too into politics but i like cats and mosins.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Shima Honnou posted:

Someone on an imageboard gave me documents which clearly state that Cyrano hired Russians to pour cosmoline on a bed while he talked about anime with Pitch. I have not yet verified these documents but I will be making a statement about them shortly.
I'm confused. Which one of us is supposed to be holding this over the other as blackmail? Because if it were me you know we'd already have a stickied Girls Frontline thread up in here.

The Pope posted:

Is that about right.

The alt-right has existed for years. How long has 4chan had /pol/? How long did reddit have their open white supremacist boards before mostly banning them? The difference is that before late 2015 nobody cared because they were busy stuffing internet polls and derided every realistic conservative candidate as a pawn of the ZOG, then earth passed through the comet's tail into the mirror universe and they whipped themselves into a frenzy over a major party nominee who named the internet's chief gamergate blogger as his third or fourth in command.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

frunksock posted:

To some people, it's a far-right movement that includes a central component of white supremacy and white nationalism. To others, it'a an anti-establishment, anti-globalist brand of conservatism that includes nationalism, but not white-nationalism.

There are people who identify as "alt-right" who believe it means the former, and those who believe it means the latter. The Democrats, as you say, during the campaign, did a pretty good job of defining it exclusively as the former, and lumping people who probably only identify with the latter into the same category.

so basically "alt-right" is the new "hacker"?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

BeAuMaN posted:

so basically "alt-right" is the new "hacker"?

More like it's the new "insufferable neckbeard troll." Remember the hand wringing about PUAs and MRAs? It's basically the same people, only now they have CNN and politicians reacting to them.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Also, I think the definition that includes white supremacy has mostly won out at this point, so the people who identify with the non-racist version should probably find a new label for themselves.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Recently a thing happened.

A minor political derail started over in the Cold War thread. It was mostly my fault, because I wall of texted on current politics because I thought I was in the trash fire politics thread. What happened, however, was about a page and a half of pretty interesting conversation about politics in a surprisingly civil tone. Someone actually PM'd me to ask if we could have a politics thread because that was a neat discussion and it absolutely killed me to tell him that the steaming pile we had was what passed for TFR politics discussion.

So we're going to try an experiment. I'm rebooting the politics thread with one major new addition.

Be loving civil human beings in this thread. Discuss politics with each other. Disagree with each other. Argue with each other. Just do so in a way that is more about actually talking about the issues rather than dropping your hot take on why another poster is a crypto-fascist or SJW pussy.

Just so we're all on the same basic page, here is roughly what I'm talking about.

That entire conversation could be had without making it about the other people being dense knobs that are literal children too stupid to grasp your wisdom. Whether or not a civil rights activist gets a pass on calling a president illegitimate because he dislikes him is a good conversation to have. We just don't need to throw in all the other poo poo where the combined baggage of 10+ years of two posters arguing on the internet gets condensed into petty insults.

Please feel free to bullshit about whatever else too. Cool endangered steppe cat was a nice derail away from politics.

While I am in agreement the last thread needed a forced drowning, I sincerely hope the political poo poo indeed remains in here. What made TFR great is that we all got along regardless of political affiliation.

That last thread was a magnet for D&D-esqe shitposting.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

frunksock posted:

frunksock posted:

Also, I think the definition that includes white supremacy has mostly won out at this point, so the people who identify with the non-racist version should probably find a new label for themselves.
Yeah I accept that the latter might exist, but it's easy enough to find a large group of self-identified alt-right at one of the largest websites in the world and the first thing you see is:

/r/altright posted:

Racial & sexual realism is a key component of the Alt-Right - perhaps the key component that ties the diverse factions within it together.
[...]
Thus, the Alt-Right promotes White Identity and White Nationalism.

The sidebar to a message board mostly made up of racist image macros with 13,000 subscribed readers. Unless you want to take the long game argument that they're doing it ironically to satirize the way the Democrats framed them, that is the alt-right.

Edit: and by the way, that subreddit has existed for six years, which actually does make it about the same age as 4chan's /pol/, although I can't say how many people actually used it before this election cycle.

Pitch fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 17, 2017

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Pitch posted:

Unless you want to take the long game argument that they're doing it ironically to satirize the way the Democrats framed them, that is the alt-right.

Yeah, they're doing it non-ironically, and yeah, the racist version was probably there first. The problem is it's such a generic-sounding term, and when Trump's anti-establishment nationalist movement was gaining traction, at the same time that people were saying "Trump's platform is alt-right" because they were (incorrectly) trying to link him with white nationalism, it was easy for Trumpocrats to (mistakenly or not) begin self-identifying as alt-right without being aware of the white supremacy stuff. It's all a cluster gently caress aided by the complete implosion of our media over the course of the campaign.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

If I had to described the Alt-right to an older person, I'd probably call it movement for 4chan posters that turned out to want to vote republican for various legitmate reasons, but wanted to stay vulgar and trollish. Simultaneously, the 'idiots in good company' white supremacists types adopted the new labels.

If one was willingly to bend over backwards, I'd wager a line could be drawn between the explicitly racist sites and the ones that are just 'politically incorrect' and in dire need of a good comment moderation team.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The 'alt-right' that matter are the internet-savvy folk that hate SJWs. Yes, that's a very broad group. 'alt-right' is very ill-defined, even by those that embrace it.

Which makes it a perfect scapegoat. It's whatever you want it to be.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

/pol/ is the new /b/ and it's hilarious

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

The 'alt-right' that matter are the internet-savvy folk that hate SJWs. Yes, that's a very broad group. 'alt-right' is very ill-defined, even by those that embrace it.

TBF the anti-sjw wing tends to be referred to as the Alt-Lite by others in the movement. The Alt-lite seems to be mostly concerned with stuff like countering what they view as PC run amok, feminism and gender bullshit that's so popular these days. Some of the people involved would be Milo, Lauren Southern, Mike Thernovith etc.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

PerrineClostermann posted:

SJW is the same way, but for the left. Except the alt-right are winning elections and SJWs are getting professors fired at liberal arts colleges.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Cyrano drained the swamp, already a better president than Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Marvin K. Mooney posted:

SJW is the same way, but for the left. Except the alt-right are winning elections and SJWs are getting professors fired at liberal arts colleges.

Someone put out the name "Ctrl-left" and I love it.

• Locked thread